Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"I'd rather die from this epidemic then kill people!"

...uh, historically that is categorically untrue. Especially when said epidemic is army of monsters killing and eating shitloads of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

pentyne posted:

"I'd rather die from this epidemic then kill people!"

...uh, historically that is categorically untrue.

Hollywood always has to have its retard ruled by emotion and not logic for audience members who feel that way.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
"Let me beat your dog with a belt or I'm going to call the cops on you for a noise disturbance."

How does this moron manage to tell his rear end in a top hat from his peehole? Yeah, and now trust the neighbor lady you just pissed off to lead you to a barn with the sound of a growling dog. Why can't more zombie shows kill their douchey dumbass characters like this? God, if Walking Dead had psycho Lizzie being fed to her zombiefied sister while screaming in horror, it would be a thing of sheer beauty.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Shitenshi posted:

How does this moron manage to tell his rear end in a top hat from his peehole?

Maybe he has a cloacae?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This episode was pretty except for "airplanes are like missiles that cut through everything" and "that was a little girl!" :rolleyes:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
A lot of her reactions came off as hilariously out of place given what was happening. I mean she just autopsied a guy who had his internal organs more or less entirely replaced. That should be enough for anyone with any kind of medical training to accept that hey, maybe this isn't something we can cure after all. Dude had a loving cloaca. That ain't something you're coming back from.

Siid
Oct 18, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

They finally get rid of the stupid child custody poo poo, but instead we have dudes haggling over the price of a stolen car.

Still, the good stuff in that episode was pretty good.

Well he's not dead yet and they are giving him scenes so he'll probably end up joining Walder Frey's group and this is their way of going "he's resourceful".

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
"i can slow down the whole internet to dial up" ehl oh ehl

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

"i can slow down the whole internet to dial up" ehl oh ehl

That part was kinda silly but it's not especially hard to overpower the mobile network. The masts aren't particularly high-capacity which is why data plans are so expensive and restrictive in the first place. Case and point, every new years eve for the last decade or so.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They also weren't talking about the entire internet all over the world, just the internet for the island of Manhattan.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
You still got wired connections, unless manhattan's infrastructures are so bad that you can just bottleneck everything, like a bad dsl setup

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

cochise posted:

Maybe he has a cloacae?

Brafreakingvo

This is not getting enough love

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I pretty much have no goddamn idea who they let write the line about airplanes being like missiles, and why it made it into the final cut of the show.

Okay really I have no idea why that woman's character exists except to make us marvel at how stupid and pointless a single character can be. Pointless burying of the dog, pointless eulogy to said pointlessly-buried dog killed by undead husband of living character who is curiously less horrified by her loving ALL-OF-A-SUDDEN-VAMPIRE HUSBAND than she should be. What kind of nut is this woman?

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
I was more distracted by the fact that Ancel could talk. (Never mind that he managed to hold on to his humanity enough to send the kids away and tell her to go away.)

I thought once they grew the stinger, they could not speak, because all those organs were re-purposed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Edwardian posted:

I was more distracted by the fact that Ancel could talk. (Never mind that he managed to hold on to his humanity enough to send the kids away and tell her to go away.)

I thought once they grew the stinger, they could not speak, because all those organs were re-purposed.

Well, Zee German Vampire, whatever his name is, can speak. Now I done gots muhsef confoosed

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

I have to go back and look at the books. I thought they communicated telepathically past a certain point of development.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Edwardian posted:

I have to go back and look at the books. I thought they communicated telepathically past a certain point of development.

When you do, can you also tell me what the poo poo is up with the throat teeth?

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Edwardian posted:

clear case of the power of Jesus

duh :confused:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Hey guys, that mexican banger's pretty hardcore, right? Loves his mom, went to jail, afraid to go back, a petty criminal with honor. Oh boy.

That whole episode, aside from the gruesome effects, was pretty fuckin' lame. Just poor motivations all around.

Why would they burn the pilot's body? Wouldn't they want to show, like, the rest of their office that worm thing and stuff? Or maybe even just the doctors who were working on the case? You'd also think an Xray would pick up all sorts of slight changes even early on. Or the ridiculous amounts of heat given off from the physical transformation.

Why isn't that rich sick ceo dude a vampire yet? Wasn't that the deal? But he's getting a liver transplant. Whatevs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

Hey guys, that mexican banger's pretty hardcore, right? Loves his mom, went to jail, afraid to go back, a petty criminal with honor. Oh boy.

That whole episode, aside from the gruesome effects, was pretty fuckin' lame. Just poor motivations all around.

Why would they burn the pilot's body? Wouldn't they want to show, like, the rest of their office that worm thing and stuff? Or maybe even just the doctors who were working on the case? You'd also think an Xray would pick up all sorts of slight changes even early on. Or the ridiculous amounts of heat given off from the physical transformation.

Why isn't that rich sick ceo dude a vampire yet? Wasn't that the deal? But he's getting a liver transplant. Whatevs.

I suppose I can't argue that Gus is kind of a cliché, but your second two complaints are actual plot points. They didn't burn the body because at this point Eph believes something is seriously Wrong, and Setrakian told them that all the bodies need to be burned. The rich ceo guy hasn't been turned into a vampire because of reasons to be explained fairly soon, so you're just being impatient on that one.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
All the characters are cliche. Ephraim is a brilliant but self-destructive person, Setrakian is the wise old teacher, whatever. It's a a pulpy, violent story about fighting vampires.

I thought it was interesting that none of the scenes from this episode (besides the neighbor feeding) were in the books.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I suppose I can't argue that Gus is kind of a cliché, but your second two complaints are actual plot points. They didn't burn the body because at this point Eph believes something is seriously Wrong, and Setrakian told them that all the bodies need to be burned. The rich ceo guy hasn't been turned into a vampire because of reasons to be explained fairly soon, so you're just being impatient on that one.

I'm an impatient person. :colbert: Just, wouldn't the doctors report their stage 5 diseased airline pilot escaping?

Pron on VHS posted:

I thought it was interesting that none of the scenes from this episode (besides the neighbor feeding) were in the books.

Gotta have the woman flip out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drifter posted:

I'm an impatient person. :colbert: Just, wouldn't the doctors report their stage 5 diseased airline pilot escaping?

I think at this point Eph doesn't trust that this problem can be fixed through normal channels. He's worried that if he reports what happened they will think he's crazy and lock him up for evaluation or something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Plus, he was already taken off the case, so he had no logical reason for even treating the pilot as far as the CDC was concerned.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I think at this point Eph doesn't trust that this problem can be fixed through normal channels. He's worried that if he reports what happened they will think he's crazy and lock him up for evaluation or something.

Jim's confession tipped him off to the fact that someone was engineering this.

He's suspicious of a greater conspiracy.

As far as he can tell, this is on purpose, and he can't trust anyone but Nora...and possibly Setrakian, since he seems to have more info.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, I got the feeling Eph wasn't going to be reporting that to the hospital staff, they were just gonna burn the body and get the gently caress out of there.

As for his partner, well, we know this is a show about vampires, but it probably is quite a leap for a medical professional to go from "we must treat this mysterious epidemic" to "Holy gently caress we're going to become vampire slayers, kill and burn all the infected." Even if it is blatantly obvious the infected have turned into monsters.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

I like the scummy brother who just sits on the couch all day being dopesick and annoying. The moral code is funny too: stealing an old clock that nobody will miss from a pawn shop: totally hosed up and not OK, stealing a car that someone uses everyday to go to work from a garage: totally cool and OK

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
While I don't mind a good slow burn, something about the pacing of this show makes it seem like I get very little content from week to week. This week, it seemed like I would get 4 minutes of commercials for every 5-6 minutes of show. I know they have to pay bills, but something about the pacing of the episodes seems to make this very noticeable. Like, oh hey, it's been a handful of scenes, and it's only 10 minutes left? And back to commercial break again already?

Also, I was really hoping the train would pull into the Crazytown station on this last episode. We're trying to hang in there, but if it doesn't pick up soon, then we may have to wait until this is over and just binge the series.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

savinhill posted:

I like the scummy brother who just sits on the couch all day being dopesick and annoying. The moral code is funny too: stealing an old clock that nobody will miss from a pawn shop: totally hosed up and not OK, stealing a car that someone uses everyday to go to work from a garage: totally cool and OK

His beef wasn't with the theft of the clock itself. It was that he brought it back to their mothers home. He probably returned it to ensure that it would provide no future trouble.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

His beef wasn't with the theft of the clock itself. It was that he brought it back to their mothers home. He probably returned it to ensure that it would provide no future trouble.

Still kind of hypocritical, since I'm pretty sure threatening the life of your landlord is more likely to cause trouble than a stolen clock.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SirMonkeyButt posted:

While I don't mind a good slow burn, something about the pacing of this show makes it seem like I get very little content from week to week. This week, it seemed like I would get 4 minutes of commercials for every 5-6 minutes of show. I know they have to pay bills, but something about the pacing of the episodes seems to make this very noticeable. Like, oh hey, it's been a handful of scenes, and it's only 10 minutes left? And back to commercial break again already?

Also, I was really hoping the train would pull into the Crazytown station on this last episode. We're trying to hang in there, but if it doesn't pick up soon, then we may have to wait until this is over and just binge the series.

I'm with you. I can't say for sure if I'd still be watching if I hadn't read the books. There's only so long you can tell people "just wait a little longer, poo poo gets crazy soon".

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I'm with you. I can't say for sure if I'd still be watching if I hadn't read the books. There's only so long you can tell people "just wait a little longer, poo poo gets crazy soon".

Season 2 guys!!!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

savinhill posted:

You can tell they are a morally bankrupt family the moment you find out they leave their trash in the hallway of the apartment complex. Scum of the loving earth.

I Demand Food
Nov 18, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

I was aware of the existence of a book series going into the show, but have not read any of them.

I like the show and want to like it more, but the writing really isn't that good and there's really no logic to any of the main character's actions, which is particularly inexcusable because most of them are supposed to be brilliant, hot poo poo CDC scientists but act like the kids from the Faculty.

Some of the major plot points so far are just so contrived that it makes it hard to continue suspending disbelief.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Did they slow down the internet to 28.8 so that videos of the outbreak, when it occurs, aren't all over youtube or something? Is it just a matter of killing communication lines? What about, like, satellite internet? Or taking a video and walking it over the bridge?

This show is real dumb. Promising first episode, but things have sort of fallen apart since then. I'm still going to watch it one way or another because individual scenes can be pretty decent, but man is the writing hit or miss. So far I'm gonna say weaker than Helix but I'm willing to reserve judgement until poo poo actually hits the fan.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

So far I'm gonna say weaker than Helix but I'm willing to reserve judgement until poo poo actually hits the fan.

That's pretty harsh man, jesus. You gotta watch where you throw that name around you know...

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

NmareBfly posted:

Did they slow down the internet to 28.8 so that videos of the outbreak, when it occurs, aren't all over youtube or something? Is it just a matter of killing communication lines? What about, like, satellite internet? Or taking a video and walking it over the bridge?

People are easier to control when they are off-balance. Plus, they pay less attention to what's going on in the wide world when they have issues to deal with at home.

And a majority of people get all their news from the internet.

So, you're keeping them in the dark, restricting the flow of info and making sure they are too distracted to care about anything beyond their own personal sphere...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Who the hell would not believe him? He had the body of the Pilot which was all kinds of hosed up and a quick glance at one of those other survivors should be enough for most people to realize something is not quite right.

This show is heading towards Helix territory. At least it's more fun than Helix though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just when the show starts to pull out of a quagmire of cliches they just had to have a creepy nursery rhyme to let you know that things were #2spooky.

Holyshoot posted:

Hollywood always has to have its retard ruled by emotion and not logic for audience members who feel that way.

Good to see the zombie superspergs are here to beep boop the place up.

Drifter posted:

All the characters are really cliche but the Banger With A Heart Of Gold & co are especially bad. Would it have killed them to have somebody touch up the dialogue so it didn't read like something a timid English teacher who only knows "pendejo" and "ese" would write?

life is killing me posted:

I pretty much have no goddamn idea who they let write the line about airplanes being like missiles, and why it made it into the final cut of the show.

The wife having crippling OCD and religious mania that was paralyzing her husband and ruining their family worked a lot better in the book when you could actually see into her mind and hear her thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked the part with the sword

• Locked thread