Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Ropes4u posted:

Does anyone here hike / backpack with a camera? Just bought a E-M5 and am looking for ways to pack it in my soon to be bought ULA Circuit.

Yes and I'm currently trying to pick up a Sony rx100 to hike with instead of my 50d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Ropes4u posted:

Does anyone here hike / backpack with a camera? Just bought a E-M5 and am looking for ways to pack it in my soon to be bought ULA Circuit.

Nice! Get a good quality dry sack that can hold the camera body, lenses, and spare batteries. Then a slim padded case of some sort or wrap it up in towel, knit cap, or insulating layer (multi-use!).

edit:

Forgot to mention that batteries love to discharge if you leave them on the floor of your tent overnight. Make sure to keep them in your sleeping bag or wrapped up in some sort of insulation.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Can anyone recommend a solid rain shell for less then 100$? It will be used primarily for backpacking and hiking, and so needs to be both lightweight and compact.

On a limited budget I need to make sure every purchase counts, so I was wondering what you guys thought!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Verman posted:

Yes and I'm currently trying to pick up a Sony rx100 to hike with instead of my 50d.

The E-M5 is much smaller than the 50d and I "think" will be packable. I will continue to carry my s95 and iPhone.

HarryPurvis posted:

Nice! Get a good quality dry sack that can hold the camera body, lenses, and spare batteries. Then a slim padded case of some sort or wrap it up in towel, knit cap, or insulating layer (multi-use!).

edit:

Forgot to mention that batteries love to discharge if you leave them on the floor of your tent overnight. Make sure to keep them in your sleeping bag or wrapped up in some sort of insulation.

I forgot about a dry sack! I will also be testing a solar charger for the batteries, my long term goal is to photograph my trip across the Colorado and PCT.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

The E-M5 is much smaller than the 50d and I "think" will be packable. I will continue to carry my s95 and iPhone.

I forgot about a dry sack! I will also be testing a solar charger for the batteries, my long term goal is to photograph my trip across the Colorado and PCT.

I've got a 19" Domke Protective Wrap that I use to wrap my 70d in most of the time that works great.
I'm planning on picking up one of these universal chargers for when I do the JMT next summer for my canon and go pro batteries along with some solar panel system to go with it.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

hobbez posted:

Can anyone recommend a solid rain shell for less then 100$? It will be used primarily for backpacking and hiking, and so needs to be both lightweight and compact.

On a limited budget I need to make sure every purchase counts, so I was wondering what you guys thought!
Frogg Toggs! They're not super durable, but I've had the same set for like 4 years now. They're light, pack down small, and breathe really well:
http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-UL12104-09LG-Ultra-Green/dp/B007X5XD4U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407033862&sr=8-3&keywords=frogg+toggs

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

FireTora posted:

I've got a 19" Domke Protective Wrap that I use to wrap my 70d in most of the time that works great.
I'm planning on picking up one of these universal chargers for when I do the JMT next summer for my canon and go pro batteries along with some solar panel system to go with it.

I hope that charger, or one like it, and a solar panel will maintain camera batteries.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

I hope that charger, or one like it, and a solar panel will maintain camera batteries.

I plan on having a USB battery pack of some sort that I'll charge with a solar panel and then use that to charge the batteries with. Currently that's the best USB charger I've found that will charge LP-E6 batteries. I've found one or 2 others but they aren't universal.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Seltzer posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good lightweight daypack that's available on Amazon. I know the REI pack was praised in the OP but there's shipping and I have a prime account (REI doesn't sell on Amazon.) Also can anyone recommend good day hikes around Central NJ? Willing to drive a decent amount.

I was shopping for a daypack recently and ended up getting a Deuter Speed Lite 20, which so far I like a lot. Some smaller packs still try to incorporate a fairly substantial, often padded hip belt, but I've found that for a pack that size they're not very useful. The Deuter has a very minimal hip belt that helps stabilize the pack without doing any real load bearing. It's ridiculously light but feels durable and has nice little touches like comfy rubberized loops around the zippers. It might be a little expensive if it's not on sale, but I heartily recommend at least trying one on if you find a place where you can compare packs. I don't know what other peoples' experiences with Deuter are but I'm pretty sure it's a trusted name.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hey quick note about the bear cans. Apparently they came in sometime last week, a good 5+ business days before the start of the hike. I think you're ok trusting they'll show up without a shipping confirmation.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Made it to the top of pikes peak today. We were delayed by two people who were not prepared (physically) and had to drop before we made three miles. Beautiful day on the mountain.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

hobbez posted:

I need to make sure every purchase counts

Wear nothing at all! Leather is waterproof :feelsgood:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Keldoclock posted:

Wear nothing at all! Leather is waterproof :feelsgood:

As we hiked yesterday I was thinking about how flipping tough life was when the mountain men wandered earth. Imagine how hard the old dudes had it exploring the west in cotton, leather and no internet

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

As we hiked yesterday I was thinking about how flipping tough life was when the mountain men wandered earth. Imagine how hard the old dudes had it exploring the west in cotton, leather and no internet

They would have worn more wool than cotton, I imagine, because cotton is loving useless when wet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
they also probably packed mules and poo poo with a bunch of stuff like tents and food, etc. Doesn't make it less hard though!

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I've watched Disney movies, life was easy back then. The native americans and talking animals brought the explorers all the food they could want and everyone was constantly singing.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
Gannett was tough, 50 mile roundtrip with a 50lb pack. The first day it rained for 14 hours and everything was saturated. I thought about turning around, but at 8pm the rain let up and the next morning when I was able to hang my clothes out to dry I decided to go on. The weather afterwards was great. Summit day I was on the trail at 4am with a headlamp, summited around 10. A difficult journey but a great climb.

mile 18, the first point one can view of Gannett

Alpenglow around Gannett, around 6am

Alpenglow makes for good pics

Used crampons, ropes, ice axes and pickets to get up this and around a bergschrund that I was too scared to take a picture of

Summit. You could see the Grand Teton from here, not a cloud in the sky

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

hobbez posted:

Garbage bag, not kidding if you're in a not terribly rainy area.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
On a more serious note, a friend of my family and long-time runner and outdoorsman slipped from a peak in Colorado and fell to his death the other day. Be careful out there folks. They're holding his memorial service this Saturday, kindly think of him if you head out on the trail that day.

Durango Herald posted:

The body of a man from Ashland, Oregon, was found July 22 in the Ice Lake Basin vicinity by San Miguel County Search and Rescue.

The ultra-runner and hiker, Alex Newport-Berra, 33, was in the area to hike the Ulysses S. Grant Peak, 13,767 feet in elevation, and to follow the ridge around to some surrounding peaks before coming back down, said Melody Skinner, administrative assistant for the San Juan County Sheriff’s Office.

Skinner said Newport-Berra probably died July 20, after falling from Pilot Knob, one of the peaks surrounding the lakes in the basin. He was hiking alone.

San Juan County Search and Rescue along with San Miguel County Search and Rescue provided assistance while searching for Newport-Berra, Skinner said.

Volunteers from San Miguel County Search and Rescue found the body while searching the ridge line of peaks surrounding lakes in the area in a helicopter, she said.

San Juan County Coroner Keri Metzler said Newport-Berra suffered from multiple blunt injuries.

A full autopsy report has not been completed.

http://www.durangoherald.com/article/20140728/NEWS01/140729588/0/SEARCH/Ore-man-dies-near-Ice-Lake-Basin
http://www.gazettetimes.com/news/local/obituaries/alexander-newport-berra/article_90edfc7e-1a15-11e4-9cd3-0019bb2963f4.html

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 4, 2014

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Smoove J posted:

Gannett was tough, 50 mile roundtrip with a 50lb pack. The first day it rained for 14 hours and everything was saturated. I thought about turning around, but at 8pm the rain let up and the next morning when I was able to hang my clothes out to dry I decided to go on. The weather afterwards was great. Summit day I was on the trail at 4am with a headlamp, summited around 10. A difficult journey but a great climb.

mile 18, the first point one can view of Gannett

Alpenglow around Gannett, around 6am

Alpenglow makes for good pics

Used crampons, ropes, ice axes and pickets to get up this and around a bergschrund that I was too scared to take a picture of

Summit. You could see the Grand Teton from here, not a cloud in the sky
Amazing, thanks for the photos. Did you go up through Dinwoody? I've made that trek to a certain point earlier in the season, then turned around. I can't wait to do it myself.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Super excited to be through hiking Zion National Park in in late October! Any recommendations on places to see? Starting off in the Kolobs to the west and headed to the west rim trail before hitting the east rim trail. Afterwards we'll have a nice day in Springdale and then relaunch to day hike the narrows.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Super excited to be through hiking Zion National Park in in late October! Any recommendations on places to see? Starting off in the Kolobs to the west and headed to the west rim trail before hitting the east rim trail. Afterwards we'll have a nice day in Springdale and then relaunch to day hike the narrows.

Google Joe's guide to Zion, it's amazing.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Amazing, thanks for the photos. Did you go up through Dinwoody? I've made that trek to a certain point earlier in the season, then turned around. I can't wait to do it myself.

Yeah, Dinwoody/Gooseneck via the Glacier Trail. If you're a decent rock climber, you can probably do it even later in the season and bypass all the glacier/bergschrund danger, but it seems like any earlier than August you'll need glacier gear.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
It turns out that Sunrise is a pretty quiet corner of Mt. Rainier National Park if you keep going straight past Frozen Lake. You can even have Burroughs Mountain mostly to yourself if you get up really, really early. We did Burroughs first and then took the Wonderland Trail to Skyscraper Peak. This comes out to about 11 miles of easy hiking through alpine and sub-alpine country.

Skyscraper Mountain, Berkeley Park and Mt. Fremont from Burroughs Mountain

Burroughs Mountain and Berkeley Park from Skyscraper Mountain

The nice thing about Sunrise is that you can hike for miles in just about any direction. Paradise is scenic, sure, but most of the trails around Paradise are just concentric loops around the visitor center (Camp Muir being a notable exception).

lime rind
Jul 10, 2014
I had my first personal bear encounter. It was with a black bear on a casual trail through a forest. We were both walking on the same path towards each around a blind corner, and the bear jumped up and turned around when we saw each other. I did the same.

I've read that you can stand your ground with black bears and maybe even shoo them away, but is that really necessary if they voluntarily head away from you? Should I not have turned my back and ran away even if I saw it was not aggressive?

lavaca posted:

It turns out that Sunrise is a pretty quiet corner of Mt. Rainier National Park if you keep going straight past Frozen Lake. You can even have Burroughs Mountain mostly to yourself if you get up really, really early. We did Burroughs first and then took the Wonderland Trail to Skyscraper Peak. This comes out to about 11 miles of easy hiking through alpine and sub-alpine country.
That looks nice, thanks for the tip. I might try it out this summer. I'm thinking of doing the Carbon Glacier trail as well.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Black bears are very rarely aggressive. It's usually safe to stand your ground and wait for them to leave. However, there's nothing wrong with you turning around and leaving as well, though I'm not sure if actually running from them might invoke some sort of predator instinct. They're pretty timid animals.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Running away from a bear is the worst thing you can do. You ever tried walking a dog, and then suddenly start running away? The instinct to kill or chase has been bred out of dogs for the most part but that reaction is pretty standard for a lot of predators. Best way to retreat from a bear is to face it and walk backwards (don't stare it down though), and move at a deliberate brisk pace but not a panicked run or jog. Black bears are usually non-aggressive but still, it's good practice to keep calm and practice proper bear encounter guidelines and most importantly imo, bear deterrence.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That's when my fiancee and I like to visit southern Utah. The days are shorter but the temps have come way down and the number of people running around drops dramatically.

You'll have a great time. Enjoy!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Flying out to Pasayten tomorrow so if someone with any familiarity could give me a thumbs up or down on this loop that would be great. If not, let me know if there is a better 30 miles we should be doing. Its going to be 5 days and 4 nights.

Canyon creek trailhead north on Jackita Ridge to Devils Pass
Devils Pass east to Sky Pilot Pass
Sky Pilot Pass south to Center Mountain
Center mountain southwest to Canyon Creek Trailhead.

If I remember correctly I think it came out to 33 miles.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
A buddy and I are going to be doing 3 days and 2 nights in California's second largest state park, Henry Coe SP. We'll do about 45 miles and stop at two lakes. Thankfully we will be out by Sunday afternoon.

I just got my EE Revelation in and I can't wait to try it out. Babbies first quilt!

Tigren fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 5, 2014

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Tigren posted:

A buddy and I are going to be doing 3 days and 2 nights in California's second largest state park, Henry Coe SP. We'll do about 45 miles and stop at two lakes. Thankfully we will be out by Sunday afternoon.

I just got my EE Revelation in and I can't wait to try it out. Babbies first quilt!

Henry Coe is awesome, but every time I've gone there I've run into tons of poison oak and ticks. Keep an eye out!

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

A while back I was reading about a really neat looking park/forest of some sort in Colorado, but for the life of me I can't find it again, does this ring anyone's bell? It was something like the first ever federal parks or monument in the early 1900s, back when cars were first invented. But the road became so expensive to maintain they eventually gave it back to the state. There were some beautiful pics of a forested area with some rock outcroppings that required a bit of a hike to get to.

That reminds me, I saw a black bear in Colorado early this summer too. We were camping in a dispersed area a quarter mile from the road. Went back to the car to change shirts after some firewood ripped a hole in my shirt. I was kind of keeping a lookout for cars coming while changing out of habit, and saw something coming around a bend in the road, behind a bunch of trees / leaf cover. My thought progression in back-to-back moments went from "car? someone on a horse? a big black Big Bird? gently caress, that's a bear!" ahaha. Right as I realized what it was, it recognized me too and got off the road, down a hill out of site. There was a stream down there and it was probably just using the road to avoid getting wet feet or something.

Fun stuff, we managed to camp that night without worrying about bears though we did keep a fire going for quite a while. If we were worried about anything it would have been the pine-beatle'd trees creaking in the wind - one had smashed the post for the campsite and there were fallen trees all over. I know car camp sites usually get pruned but not sure if dispersed sites do too, we were probably just a bit too early going the week before Memorial day.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I ended up getting a real cheap daypack (had a lot of good reviews on Amazon somehow) since I'm gonna start off my hiking pretty easy. If it breaks in a few months it's only 20 dollars gone and if I'm still hiking I won't mind paying more for a new quality pack.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Seltzer posted:

I ended up getting a real cheap daypack (had a lot of good reviews on Amazon somehow) since I'm gonna start off my hiking pretty easy. If it breaks in a few months it's only 20 dollars gone and if I'm still hiking I won't mind paying more for a new quality pack.

Link?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

http://www.amazon.com/Outlander-Pac...eywords=daypack

It's probably a Chinese POS, but again it's cheap and I'm just gonna start going on day hikes. 20 bucks with prime and 450+ reviews with a 4.5 star rating. I know it's not quality but hopefully it'll work for what I plan on doing for now.

Here To Help
Aug 16, 2008
Went out and did a 4 day loop through oval lakes/eagle creek, quite near the Carlton complex wildfire - apparently the largest wildfire in Washington's history.

A hot, dry, dusty, smokey trip to be sure, but the lakes were quite lovely (not to mention filled with jumping trout).

west oval lake, had a nice swim here to cool down

Trail to middle oval lake

Tuckaway lake

regarding black bears: I've read the best way to respond is to back away slowly and make some (non alarming) noises. This has certainly worked for me, most black bears will book it as soon as they see you though. Ground squirrels and other varmints are the real problem IMO.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Here To Help posted:

Went out and did a 4 day loop through oval lakes/eagle creek, quite near the Carlton complex wildfire - apparently the largest wildfire in Washington's history.

A hot, dry, dusty, smokey trip to be sure, but the lakes were quite lovely (not to mention filled with jumping trout).

west oval lake, had a nice swim here to cool down

Trail to middle oval lake

Tuckaway lake

regarding black bears: I've read the best way to respond is to back away slowly and make some (non alarming) noises. This has certainly worked for me, most black bears will book it as soon as they see you though. Ground squirrels and other varmints are the real problem IMO.

Awesome. Luckily the weather out there is cooling down over the next few days. Last week was 100+ and high 80s at night. This week is supposed to be 80 during the day and 50 at night. Hopefully.

The fire and smoke is all going to be south east of us so we shouldn't get any smoke from what the ranger was saying.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Tried climbing a rather remote peak in the middle of Idaho

Didn't make it to the top, but got a decent shot of Castle Peak

Also the Sawtooths and Boulder Mountains

And a sunset

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

sadus posted:

A while back I was reading about a really neat looking park/forest of some sort in Colorado, but for the life of me I can't find it again, does this ring anyone's bell? It was something like the first ever federal parks or monument in the early 1900s, back when cars were first invented. But the road became so expensive to maintain they eventually gave it back to the state. There were some beautiful pics of a forested area with some rock outcroppings that required a bit of a hike to get to.

Are you talking about Mesa Verde or maybe Colorado National Monument? Mesa Verde was one of the first NP's in Colorado, but it's hard to say without a little more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Discomancer posted:

Are you talking about Mesa Verde or maybe Colorado National Monument? Mesa Verde was one of the first NP's in Colorado, but it's hard to say without a little more info.

If I'm remembering right, it sounded more like a dirt road or even a 4x4 road to get to the trailhead these days, with nothing really visible until you hiked a bit. The picture on the home page was a pretty wooded area, with a little mountain visible, the side of the mountain eroded with some nice layers visible, but still very woodsy. No ancient ruins and it wasn't as wide open and well paved as the Co. National Monument. I may be on crack though, this is a memory from a few months back when I was binge researching campsites for many a late night.