Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mom finds clever secret trick to get rid of annoying neighbors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

Mom finds clever secret trick to get rid of annoying neighbors.

New thread title?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's not really the right phrasing for it. It's more like "Local mom gets rid of annoying neighbors using this one weird trick."

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sector_corrector posted:

That's not really the right phrasing for it. It's more like "Local mom gets rid of annoying neighbors using this one weird trick."

Vampire hunters HATE her!

e. Local mom introduces her neighbor to her sick husband, you won't believe what happens next.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Vampire hunters HATE her!

e. Local mom introduces her neighbor to her sick husband, you won't believe what happens next.

Sounds like upworthy

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Aside from the stupid "THERE MUST BE ANOTHER WAY" stuff, that episode loving owned. I can't wait to see where this goes.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Aside from the stupid "THERE MUST BE ANOTHER WAY" stuff, that episode loving owned. I can't wait to see where this goes.

It's almost hilarious how the show tries to sell CDC crew as experts in the field but makes them so irrational.

I imagine the goodness of the show is proportional to how many future scenes will have Van Hesling and also that health inspector/rat catcher guy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
So is Samwise out of the show now that he was bitchslapped by Ephraim? Or is he going to be redeemed somehow?

Eph was being a little oval office, to be fair. "You're dead to me." Hahaha.

The ratcatcher dude needs to start chewing through scenes, because everyone else on the non vampire side is REALLY annoying - except the old guy.

I was also amazed that the CDC people were doing an autopsy. That seems so far beyond the scope and ability of a virus detective. it's silly that all sorts of weird things are bothering me about a giant tapeworm/leech vampire show.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 5, 2014

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

etalian posted:

It's almost hilarious how the show tries to sell CDC crew as experts in the field but makes them so irrational.

Drifter posted:

I was also amazed that the CDC people were doing an autopsy. That seems so far beyond the scope and ability of a virus detective. it's silly that all sorts of weird things are bothering me about a giant tapeworm/leech vampire show.

I actually think this kind of thing is why this show succeeds, though. Despite the seriousness of the situation, it's not taking itself very seriously at all. One of my favorite moments from this episode was when they're in the car, and Eph totally comes out of his funk defend the car not starting by saying that he traded his Rolex for it. That kind of camp characterization fits so well with how dark the horror is. Eph and his ridiculous cool-guy haircut, and his loose cannon CDC attitude, and his car that he traded his expensive watch for. He's reminding me of a slightly less self-aware Evil Dead 2 Ash right now, and it's really working for me.

Maybe it's because I keep watching Under The Dome either right before, or right after this show, and there is zero self-awareness in UTD, but The Strain is really knocking it out of the park as far as summer shows go these days. I love how much setup we got, and now that things have finally started happening, I don't see it slowing down at all. If it goes in the direction I think it's going to go, we should be in for a real treat.

:black101:

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Aug 5, 2014

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Wow, we were looking for a new series to watch next with a friend and spotted this. 8.5 on IMDB, I mean how bad can it be?

Pretty goddamn bad apparently, if the pilot is anything to go by. Half the time we were cringing and / or laughing out loud at the awful, hammy dialogue and writing (passangers waking up on the plane? I'm sending in SWAT! For some reason!); even the pretty alright monster CGI can't save this hot mess. Something of a whiplash to switch from the House of Cards to this.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dropbear posted:

Wow, we were looking for a new series to watch next with a friend and spotted this. 8.5 on IMDB, I mean how bad can it be?

Pretty goddamn bad apparently, if the pilot is anything to go by. Half the time we were cringing and / or laughing out loud at the awful, hammy dialogue and writing (passangers waking up on the plane? I'm sending in SWAT! For some reason!); even the pretty alright monster CGI can't save this hot mess. Something of a whiplash to switch from the House of Cards to this.

Keep on watching. You'll be in love when the first dick falls off.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's a well known fact that public domain childrens songs add a creepy factor of 33% to any horror-based media.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gonz posted:

It's a well known fact that public domain childrens songs add a creepy factor of 33% to any horror-based media.

Especially if you can't get it out of your god drat head for 2 days.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just binged the first half of S1, now debating whether to wait a month and binge the rest or watch it week by week. If it's about to pick up the pace like people have been saying I might wait for the binge, and view what I've seen so far as a massively long extended trailer for a really long film that's out in 5 weeks.

Was that "aeroplanes" line in the book because it really stuck out as weird and out of place to me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

E; nm

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Judging by the smoke coming out of the cuts left by Setrakian's sword is it safe so assume that the sword is made of silver and vampires are vulnerable to it?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Senjuro posted:

Judging by the smoke coming out of the cuts left by Setrakian's sword is it safe so assume that the sword is made of silver and vampires are vulnerable to it?

Yea that's the gist.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Came for the vampires.

Stayed for the guy's dick falling into the toilet while he peed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

the posted:

Came for the vampires.

Stayed for the guy's dick falling into the toilet while he peed.

If it was just gonna fall off while he peed and he wasn't even going to feel it, then I have trouble believing that he even felt the urge to pee overcome the OH MY loving GOD WHAT THE poo poo gently caress OH GOD GOD GOD GOD WHY FUCKHITLER poo poo kind of pain he should have felt.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Good episode. Loving the gore and campy feel. Disliking Eph's partner/GF. Some dude grew a set of new organs and tried to kill you with a snake tongue and you feel bad?

Also, I hope we get to see Marlo and some gang bangers kill some vampires with sideways pistols.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

life is killing me posted:

If it was just gonna fall off while he peed and he wasn't even going to feel it, then I have trouble believing that he even felt the urge to pee overcome the OH MY loving GOD WHAT THE poo poo gently caress OH GOD GOD GOD GOD WHY FUCKHITLER poo poo kind of pain he should have felt.

Considering the cloaca revelation last ep he should have been peeing out of his butt :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Considering the cloaca revelation last ep he should have been peeing out of his butt :colbert:

I thought they specifically said there is no butthole, that they expel waste through their mouths?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Maybe he hadn't developed a cloaca yet because maybe it only happens after your wang plops into the toilet like a turd.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

I thought they specifically said there is no butthole, that they expel waste through their mouths?

Did he say the mouth acts as a cloaca? Because that's basically the way it works with humans too :smuggo:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

GreenNight posted:

The pilot discharged ammonia from his cloaca during the dissection.

Pilot Jim
Aug 23, 2007

Drifter posted:

Most CDC and WHO epidemiologists are MDs first, and virology/epidemiology/microbiology Ph.Ds second. A fair knowledge of human anatomy and pathology wouldn't be too far fetched.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Also, I hope we get to see Marlo and some gang bangers kill some vampires with sideways pistols.

yea, that cameo will be the biggest cocktease ever if we don't get Marlo Stanfield: Vampire Huntertm

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Actually all The Wire gang actors play criminals on TV show all the time. I saw Bodie on The Good Wife and he just had 4 lines and was playing a criminal.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Actually all The Wire gang actors play criminals on TV show all the time. I saw Bodie on The Good Wife and he just had 4 lines and was playing a criminal.
Bunk plays a character's lawyer dad on Suits, though. Back when it was a good show.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pilot Jim posted:

Most CDC and WHO epidemiologists are MDs first, and virology/epidemiology/microbiology Ph.Ds second. A fair knowledge of human anatomy and pathology wouldn't be too far fetched.

Yeah, that's really like the least unbelievable and out of place thing I can think of in this show. I'm pretty sure Eph is a doctor anyway, and basically any trained medical professional is going to be capable of making the "poo poo be hosed up" sort of analysis that they were doing in that scene. It's not like they were making a detailed assessment of the state of his internal organs.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

ufarn posted:

Bunk plays a character's lawyer dad on Suits, though. Back when it was a good show.

And Omar has roles in every other HBO show pretty much

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

Keep on watching. You'll be in love when the first dick falls off.

You'll be in love when a crazy white woman tricks her annoying nosy neighbor into checking out the shed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, that's really like the least unbelievable and out of place thing I can think of in this show. I'm pretty sure Eph is a doctor anyway, and basically any trained medical professional is going to be capable of making the "poo poo be hosed up" sort of analysis that they were doing in that scene. It's not like they were making a detailed assessment of the state of his internal organs.

All I really know about Eph is that he's a recovering alcoholic divorcee who pretends to want his kid more than he'd actually take him. :colbert:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

You'll be in love when a crazy white woman tricks her annoying nosy neighbor into checking out the shed.

That is actually the least crazy thing she has done or said

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
When she caught Ansel drinking the blood from the defrosting steak, did she also see his worm tongue? It was clearly there for the viewer to see, but I'm curious if she could see it from her perspective.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SpaceAceJase posted:

When she caught Ansel drinking the blood from the defrosting steak, did she also see his worm tongue? It was clearly there for the viewer to see, but I'm curious if she could see it from her perspective.

Nah, she's only a little bit suspicious that something is wrong.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

ufarn posted:

Bunk got sick of Baltimore, retired to California and then became a corrupt a parole officer after a tough divorce in Ray Donovan.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The book I mentioned a while back was called The Unblemished, by Conrad Williams.

Untraditional mindcontrol vampires and whatnot. It was pretty good from what I remember. They didn't try to fit in to society or use the tools of civilization to control it, more than to just destroy and dominate or whatever.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Drifter posted:

The book I mentioned a while back was called The Unblemished, by Conrad Williams.

Untraditional mindcontrol vampires and whatnot. It was pretty good from what I remember. They didn't try to fit in to society or use the tools of civilization to control it, more than to just destroy and dominate or whatever.

There was a similar book called Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons about people with powerful psychic powers who could control anyone in the world, from anywhere in the world, and they could kill people and claim their energy to basically stay immortal. Dan Simmons is a pretty good horror writer. Wondering why there isn't some show or movie on either of these books yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
FYI ratings for The Strain have been very solid, and have even gone up slightly from prior weeks, so at least that shouldn't be a concern with this show.

• Locked thread