Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I choose to believe that the survey Capcom sent out helped lead to this, because god drat I clicked every single box that even remotely suggested this could happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised they can even make this; it seems like every Nintendo third party exclusive gets stuck in copyright hell. Does this mean they have the rights to Zero as well? (not that anyone wants to replay that)

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

ApexAftermath posted:

gently caress yeah. Now they need to do the same to RE 2/3 and I can die happy.

They'd have to make them from the ground up so you will die a miserable death.

I'm not too happy with the lovely filter they put over the backgrounds, I'd honestly would've preferred a straight SD port but at least I get to play the game again after so many years, that's good enough for me.

abagofcheetos posted:

I'm surprised they can even make this; it seems like every Nintendo third party exclusive gets stuck in copyright hell. Does this mean they have the rights to Zero as well? (not that anyone wants to replay that)

REmake has been out of Nintendo's clutches for a long time, it was only a timed exclusive, I think the same is true for Zero, but I'm not entirely sure.

I wonder if they're actually going to change the Gamecube consoles used to rescue Jill/Chris from the prison cell though.

John Luebke fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 5, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think only the REmake was an exclusive at that time, RE0 was actually planned to be on PS2 when it was new but for technical reasons they couldn't make it happen. The Wii ports of both of these were bare bones, but got a generally lukewarm to bad reception on release so I'm surprised they're even bothering with this now.

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't think it looks bad, but it's hard to judge from those screenshots. The way they handled the switch to 16:9 looks super weird, though. Either way, I'm glad they're at least trying; that's a game that definitely should not be lost to the ravages of time. It's cool that they're putting it out on PC too.

The other thing is that it looks like the film grain when in places with lots of candle and flame light looks way toned down or gone. That was one of the coolest things about the REmake's graphics, it was a huge deal at the time that it was a video game where fire actually looked good. I wished you got to use the flame thrower for more than like five seconds because holy crap.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

ApexAftermath posted:

gently caress yeah. Now they need to do the same to RE 2/3 and I can die happy.

Judging by the amount of people I've seen around the net who think this is an entirely new remake I'm going to say this will never happen because clearly no one loving bought this game in the first place. Granted it was on the Gamecube, but goddamn.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Judging by the amount of people I've seen around the net who think this is an entirely new remake I'm going to say this will never happen because clearly no one loving bought this game in the first place. Granted it was on the Gamecube, but goddamn.

Like you said. It was on gamecube. :shrug:

Vakal
May 11, 2008

ApexAftermath posted:

Like you said. It was on gamecube. :shrug:

I remember picking up a gamecube when they started selling for $99. Pretty much all the games I wanted to get such as Metroid Prime and Veiwtiful Joe were readily available as greatest hits titles. with REmake I had to settle for a dog-eared used copy and I was lucky to even find that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Part of it too is that people don't realize how cheap the Japanese publishers tend to be with their re-releases and anthologies and such.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93881607532/comparisons-of-remastered-with-remake-wii
http://quackfluffy.tumblr.com/post/93882202437/some-more-comparisons-of-remastered-and-remake

These really help show the improvements.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I honestly think the non-HD versions look better. :shrug:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Sunning posted:

It looks like the scaled the image to 1080p, added a sharpen filter, and then messed around with the contrast settings. I knew it was too much place hope in Capcom still having the master assets.

I'm pretty sure the reason this hasn't been done before is because (they say) they've lost the original assets.

I'll still pick it up on the PS3 or PC depending on what they do for the PC version. The game is so good, I can't not buy it. :negative:

Some of the new images look good, some of them look bad. I guess it's early to pass judgement. :shrug:

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 5, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Okay with those comparison shots I'm a lot more onboard, if only because I actually haven't finished REmake. (I only rented it, alas!)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

PureRok posted:

I honestly think the non-HD versions look better. :shrug:

New Games: We don't do fog.

The intentional graininess they have going on with the lighting in the GC/Wii version is part of why it looks so great. I mean the new one looks cool but it seems like a weird thing to omit when they were going for such a clear "Fulci directed this in 1981" look.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 5, 2014

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I think the difference is best shown off in that first page bottom row, the pictures with Jill going into the hallway with spider friend. The REmake one feels like a carefully-constructed shot, with Jill being in the darkened section and the enemy and lighting being placed in such a way that the devs are practically screaming "look at this loving SPIDER". REmastered has lights that generate light equally, so the effect feels a lot lessened when you can see Jill and the rest of the hallway just as well.

e: I'm no artist or graphics buff so obviously my opinion shouldn't weigh much. :shrug:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Well, according to the PC Gamer article about the game, it's going to have the option to let the player play the game from a third person over-the-shoulder perspective, just like RE4.

PC Gamer posted:

In addition, there's an alternative to the game's infamous tank controls. "The classic control scheme remains for fans of the original play style or there’s an alternative scheme where the character moves directly in the direction of the analogue stick, utilizing the standards of the current generation of gaming," explains a Capcom press release. Both controls and ratio can be toggled at any point during play—thus allowing you to fight out the eternal, desperate battle between purism and convenience.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/08/05/resident-evil-1-returning-to-pc-in-remastered-form-will-release-early-2015/

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it means that, I think it just means that where you move the stick is where you walk. Probably will control like Parasite Eve 1.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

That says you can move using the stick like in all other games instead of tank controls. Not over the shoulder.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
My apologies, I guess that's what I get for reading things while half-awake.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That control scheme is always awful in fixed camera games, I have no idea how they're going to make it work this time.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

It really takes some getting used to. The best I can do is just keep pushing the joystick up and hope I keep moving forward.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Geight posted:

e: I'm no artist or graphics buff so obviously my opinion shouldn't weigh much. :shrug:

I'm not a huge artist or graphic buff but this is a correct observation as it's something they consistently do throughout the game. You can tell they put a lot of thought into how to make the most of every pre-set angle's lighting beyond just the graphics being pretty because they're pre-rendered. To the point where they didn't even really need the item glint to guide you introduced in subsequent games since you'd intuitively know where to check for stuff be it a suspiciously dark corner or a lit desk that looks like someone was using it just a few moments ago. It's even more effective than the "run towards and grab yellow stuff" subliminal in Uncharted 2.

Y'all know those extra control options were already available in GC Remake, Silent Hill 1 and up, DS port of RE1, etc. right? It's nothing new for these types of games.

Something I do hope they add from the DS port though is not having to sit through the door loading times. The GC actually doesn't need the loading time AT ALL but they left them in to keep the atmosphere (and you can see this in the few rooms that get destroyed/doors broken apart in real time towards the end of the game turning areas into one "room"). The DS port handles this conflict best because they left them in but you can just hit a button to skip them if you want.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 5, 2014

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

That control scheme is always awful in fixed camera games, I have no idea how they're going to make it work this time.

Actually, the N64 port of RE2 already had a control scheme like that and I know people loved it, though I've never played that version myself.

But I never had any issues with tank controls anyway, as long as the game is designed around them it's fine and the sheer hate that they often get is completly bewildering to me.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
It sounds like it'll be like how Silent hill 2/3 had options for, i.e. pressing up will move you away from the camera, right will move towards the right of the screen rather then 'up is always forwards' for tank controls.

I've always found it awful as you'll change movement direction when the camera angle changes, which can lead to you suddenly moving in the direction you came and going back to the previous camera angle which can be very disorienting.

I dunno what everyones big fuss was about tank controls. Sure, they're a bit awkward but give it an hour or 2 and you should get used to it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Spalec posted:

It sounds like it'll be like how Silent hill 2/3 had options for, i.e. pressing up will move you away from the camera, right will move towards the right of the screen rather then 'up is always forwards' for tank controls.

It sounds like that because that's exactly what it is because that's what was already available to choose in the game since 2003 (SH1 lets you do this too).

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Spalec posted:

I've always found it awful as you'll change movement direction when the camera angle changes, which can lead to you suddenly moving in the direction you came and going back to the previous camera angle which can be very disorienting.

I've played a few games with fixed camera that used controls like that and in the best cases the directional input would only change after you let go of the stick and not right after the camera angle change, because yeah, that would be pretty awful.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

There's a fun but crappy top down shooter on the Dreamcast, Expendable, that does that where the control switches the instant you change screens. Lots of running in circles there. That Spider-Man Dreamcast game did that too for when the camera would reflect for you crawling up walls/ceilings. Holy crap that camera was poor, though that game did start the format that all the not open world Spider-Man games have followed since.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm pretty interested in this remake since I've never played a Resident Evil before and I'm assuming 1 is a good place to start. (I dunno maybe Zero is?) If it's just a better looking version with no tank controls and better camera of the Gamecube remake however, I'll probably get the Gamecube version since tank controls/fixed camera positions don't bother me.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It has both options just get the new one.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It's understated how good REmake really is. It's probably one of the greatest games I've ever played. Everything about it is quality. Plus... the Crimson Heads? Holy gently caress.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Devil May Cry did something where when the camera angle changed, the direction you were pressing before will move you forward on the next screen. However, your controls reoriented the moment you took your hands off the direction.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

It's understated how good REmake really is. It's probably one of the greatest games I've ever played. Everything about it is quality. Plus... the Crimson Heads? Holy gently caress.

Seriously. The actual story is goofy as hell, but everything else just oozes attention to detail.

It's crazy that they got rid of Crimson Heads in 0... There must have been some technical issue, right?

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Mogomra posted:

Seriously. The actual story is goofy as hell, but everything else just oozes attention to detail.

It's crazy that they got rid of Crimson Heads in 0... There must have been some technical issue, right?

I think it was more of a story issue, actually. The zombies in the REmake turned into Crimson Heads after a while passed since they'd been infected. In 0 (and all the other RE games except for ORC) all the places you visited have only recently been infected, so no crimson heads.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dude the first time you blow one of their heads off with the shotgun in that west corridor where the angle has it like you're shooting directly into the camera, it's like the one time in the game where you basically feel like a god. Oh that and "Looks like we got to the ROOT of the problem!"

The coolest thing about REmake though is how smoothly it combines the trashy European horror flick model with guns and sci-fi stuff with all of the little additions to the plot/mansion here and there. It's a great thematic precursor to RE4 actually.

Also the corpse burning mechanic is ruthless as hell for that time.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Are we certain the world is ready for Barry's beard in HD?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Vakal posted:

It's really powerful, especially against living things!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Vakal posted:

We already got it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

It's really powerful, especially against living things!

Wish I could empty quote this a thousand times without getting banned.

So we started playing Survivor a couple of days ago.

Ahaha. Ha. Hahaha. Ha. HAa;osd8ugja-3f8940umrqcw,a sdkaf mkad;klbgjast

How frustrating, I mean not just because it sucks but because it's like, SO CLOSE. Like a few minor changes and it would have actually been good. It makes me wish Capcom would farm out Resident Evil to From Software.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 6, 2014

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

We already got it.

So sad the PC never got that dlc.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Neo Rasa posted:

Dude the first time you blow one of their heads off with the shotgun in that west corridor where the angle has it like you're shooting directly into the camera, it's like the one time in the game where you basically feel like a god. Oh that and "Looks like we got to the ROOT of the problem!"

I think the moment I knew this was something special is when Jill encounters that one cutscene zombie in the bathtub. It's utterly mindblowing that REmake came out in 2002. The graphics are just goddamn amazing. I'm looking at these comparison screenshots and half the time I can't even tell which one is supposed to be the HD one. Sometimes they look switched.

edit: vvv Oh yeah, their art direction managed to take great advantage of SDTVs since HD wasn't really a thing at the time.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I think the moment I knew this was something special is when Jill encounters that one cutscene zombie in the bathtub. It's utterly mindblowing that REmake came out in 2002. The graphics are just goddamn amazing. I'm looking at these comparison screenshots and half the time I can't even tell which one is supposed to be the HD one. Sometimes they look switched.

Until you play it on a HDTV. I recently played the gamecube version on my wii, and yeah, it needed the upgrade badly.