Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Is the non-basic Transformers bundle worth it for someone who doesn't really know anything about Transformers? Or should I just read these basic ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

PoshAlligator posted:

Is the non-basic Transformers bundle worth it for someone who doesn't really know anything about Transformers? Or should I just read these basic ones?

RID and MTMTE are really good. The latter more so than the former, but I enjoy them both. If anything, I'd say get it for those and not the classic stuff.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
There we go: DnA Guardians on sale, as well as these 4 Drax issues missing from Annihilation I mentioned earlier.

And Thanos Rising, a 5 issue mini from last year that basically retells his origin story.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

PelvicNerve posted:

There we go: DnA Guardians on sale, as well as these 4 Drax issues missing from Annihilation I mentioned earlier.

And Thanos Rising, a 5 issue mini from last year that basically retells his origin story.

How is Thanos Rising?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

How is Thanos Rising?
For a buck an issue I guess it's worth it, but I wasn't really too impressed with it when it was coming out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yeah, I can't recommend it unless you want to see Thanos as an emo teenager.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

Yeah, I can't recommend it unless you want to see Thanos as an emo teenager.

Thanks for saving me 5 bucks that will go towards the next sale. I am such Comixology's bitch.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked it. The art was nice.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

How is Thanos Rising?

Like everyone, I'd say it's okay at best. I found it interesting but really predictable. I liked the art and there's one plot point there that is used (and explained) in Infinity.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Any thoughts from anyone on Dan the Unharmable? The sale expires this weekend, and I've been waffling on whether or not to pull the trigger on the sale bundle all week. My personal enjoyment of Lapham is pretty hit-or-miss, but the premise and preview pages look pretty promising (Holy hell, that was an above average amount of alliteration).

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Marvel Monday is Thanos. Very personal but the only thing I'd recommend there is the Thanos Imperative.

I find most of the other stuff hasn't aged too well and is Marvel Unlimited material. Still, Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet are probably the best picks in that list.

I haven't read the 2003 Thanos series though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Infinity Gauntlet is like my favourite Marvel comic ever, so definitely get that and Thanos Quest, though they're both on Unlimited also.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Aight, I ended up goin nuts and getting Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos Quest, Thanos: The Final Threat, the Jim Starlin issues of Silver Surfer, and the whole Thanos 12 issue series. Can anyone tell me what order to read all these in?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thanos: The Final Threat

Many years pass

Silver Surfer
Thanos Quest
Infinity Gauntlet

Here's where Warlock and the Infinity Watch happens, along with Infinity War/Crusade (I know you didn't list them, just giving a sense of the chronology)

Many years pass

12 issue series, leads into Annihilation

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 4, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Thanos: The Final Threat
Silver Surfer
Thanos Quest
Infinity Gauntlet
12 issue series

Sick, thank you. I read Infinity Gauntlet back in the day but the rest of these are new to me. Excited to dig in to some vintage Starlin.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanos Quest is real good.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

God drat it, I've never read Infinity Gauntlet and kinda want to, but I've already dropped a poo poo load of cash lately on Annihilation stuff. :ohdear:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

God drat it, I've never read Infinity Gauntlet and kinda want to, but I've already dropped a poo poo load of cash lately on Annihilation stuff. :ohdear:

IT'S SO GOOD

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Senor Candle posted:

IT'S SO GOOD
STOP IT, I WANT TO EAT THIS MONTH SOMETIME, OK? :mad:

(maybe if i just get infinity gauntlet it'll be ok...i already have #1 from the 700 #1s last year)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Batman hosed me over, and I can not wait to see what Batcharacter is going on sale tonight. I hope it includes the few Morrison issues that have not been on sale yet.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Is it cool to read Thanos: The Final Threat #1 -> Thanos Quest #1-2 -> Infinity Gauntlet #1-6, or would I want those Silver Surfer issues too?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Is it cool to read Thanos: The Final Threat #1 -> Thanos Quest #1-2 -> Infinity Gauntlet #1-6, or would I want those Silver Surfer issues too?

Silver Surfer issues 34-38 lead to Thanos Quest.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

STOP IT, I WANT TO EAT THIS MONTH SOMETIME, OK? :mad:

(maybe if i just get infinity gauntlet it'll be ok...i already have #1 from the 700 #1s last year)

I don't know your situation but if you're that strapped for cash, check out your library! That's where I read Infinity Gauntlet

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Absolutely read those SS issues. They're the first appearance of the reborn Thanos.

Edit: But, er, not if you really don't have the cash dude :)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I'm just kidding about the cash thing, I just hate being tempted by all of these unexpected sales. I just need more restraint, is all!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

irlZaphod posted:

I've never read those Silver Surfer issues ever.

EDIT: Actually I may have read one where he fights a statue of Thanos?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Silver Surfer issues 34-38 lead to Thanos Quest.
Cool, that's not too bad really. I didn't notice that there was a gap up to #60 then.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

I just read Infinity Gauntlet for years before getting the SS and Thanos Quest stuff. It stands on its own as long as you have basic knowledge of what the Infinity Gems are.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I'm going to spend over $100 this month catching up on Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, the Robin sale, and the Guadians/Thanos sales.

I can't believe I've bought so many loving comics this month :negative:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hmmm since people are talking about it and I keep sort of staring at it.

https://www.comixology.com/Infinity-Gauntlet-Trilogy/bundle/5

"Collects Infinity Gauntlet #1-6, Infinity War #1-6, Infinity Crusade #1-6, Warlock and the Infinity Watch (1992) #7-10 & #18-22, Warlock Chronicles (1993) #1-5, Marvel Comics Presents (1988) #108-111. All of Marvel's top heroes star in this epic of cosmic proportions, where they must stop the Infinity-fueled threats of Magus, the Goddess and the Mad Titan Thanos infused with near-omnipotent power!"

Good buy? Yes? No? Thoughts?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No because you get Infinity War and Infinity Crusade.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flameingblack posted:

I'm going to spend over $100 this month catching up on Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, the Robin sale, and the Guadians/Thanos sales.

I can't believe I've bought so many loving comics this month :negative:

Dont forget the sure to be this weekend TMNT sale!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I want to get into digital. Is the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" a great tablet for comics? What is "the best?"

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dont forget the sure to be this weekend TMNT sale!

This weekend?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hadn't checked today :negative:

That bundle is looking pretty drat tempting. Makes it easy as hell to catch up.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 5, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That new TMNT book is supposed to be really good, right? Are any of the secondary books worth getting?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

I want to get into digital. Is the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" a great tablet for comics? What is "the best?"
I guess at this point a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 would be best due to its size. If you're not keen to spending $1000 on a tablet/computer, then a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 followed by an iPad Air or Galaxy Tab S 10.5. Any smaller and they can become difficult to read, even with a high resolution screen, though 8.9" is probably right at the smallest comfortable size.

I'd personally recommend a true Android tablet or iPad over a Kindle Fire just because the ecosystems are much better, but if all you plan to do with it is read comics, it'll serve you fine.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Is there any trick to using the Marvel Unlimited app on my iPad and not cursing every time they do a 2 page spread?

Comixology works perfectly, guided reading works well and overall just looking at the books I've never had a moment where I was trying to zoom in constantly just to read.

In MU though, if I zoom in, I have to hold my finger on the screen with 2 page spreads because the bottom panels will always try and snap back down instead of just staying where I move it :argh:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Any smaller and they can become difficult to read, even with a high resolution screen, though 8.9" is probably right at the smallest comfortable size.

I don't know, I think the 9" screen on my Nook HD+ is just fine for reading on. Though, yes, get a tablet with Android or iOS on it unless you are into the whole Amazon ecosystem. It sucks not being able to sideload apps on my locked down on. No Amazon Apps of the Day or Humble Bundle games that I have bought for my phone...

Anyway, TMNT question. I really want to read City Fall and will probably grab the volumes leading up to it. Are any of the micro-series worth the money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I have a Surface Pro 3, which is awesome for comics (really bright colors, even on half-brightness) and ComiXology hasn't gutted in-app purchases of comics yet, but it's really expensive if you don't need the computer side of things.