Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So who will be the first person with an 880?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Not me, lol. Now I have to hire a lawyer! Expect some sadness in SA mart

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
When will the 870 and 860 come out and how much will they be? Or are they only releasing the 880 this year?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

veedubfreak posted:

I'm probably ordering one ASAP.

Edit: though the alternative is just abandoning high-end PC gaming and getting a PS4 for the infrequent game time I find anymore. My gaming PC has been without a video card for months now and I can't say I miss it. Decisions.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 5, 2014

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Titles that were developed on PC first or exclusively (SC2, WoW) are better bets when it comes to scaling down to a dual core CPU, for console ports you might be better off going with more cores as both consoles use 8 core CPUs.

This is hilarious considering SC2 and WoW have pretty horrid CPU bottlenecks.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

spasticColon posted:

When will the 870 and 860 come out and how much will they be? Or are they only releasing the 880 this year?

We don't know. The 770 and 760 came out about a month+ after the 780, which came out a few months after the Titan. The 770 cost $400 (as low as $300 now) and the 760 cost $250 (as low as $230 now). Prices will likely be close to the 700 series launch prices, but there is no guarantee of that.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I guess now is a good time to sell that Titan Black that I use maybe five hours a month.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Meanwhile, here I am desperately trying to game on HD 3000 because all I have is my laptop... :argh:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Factory Factory posted:

Meanwhile, here I am desperately trying to game on HD 3000 because all I have is my laptop... :argh:

What happened Factory^2?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
My desktop is stuffed into a storage locker three states away, and my laptop is a few years old. I'm the ur-poor student; I couldn't afford to stay on campus over the summer or ship the box home.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

veedubfreak posted:

If I was a betting man...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Whats he gonna do with it once the 880ti comes out.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

veedubfreak posted:

One of my two 460's died so I'm primed to grab one maybe two if budget allows.
Be interesting to see how it goes on this i5-750 before I upgrade.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

What are some budget options for upgrading from a 460? Say I had $150 for an upgrade. SLI 460s, new 660, try to snipe an ebay used 760?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Pumpy Dumper posted:

What are some budget options for upgrading from a 460? Say I had $150 for an upgrade. SLI 460s, new 660, try to snipe an ebay used 760?

Bike to the Boston Microcenter on the tax-free weekend coming up in a few weeks and get an open-box 660/760 or a new 750ti.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Bike to the Boston Microcenter on the tax-free weekend coming up in a few weeks and get an open-box 660/760 or a new 750ti.

How much do they charge for open box 660?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
All the open box stuff is about 25% off. They actually don't have an open box 660 right this minute, but they have a $207 GTX 760, a $120 GTX 750ti, and a $103 GTX 750.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?N=4294966937+4294912102&prt=clearance&Ntk=all&cat=0031%22

The extra nice thing is they give you game vouchers on Open Box (if the new model would come with them and you ask) and if the card turns out to be hosed up and you have to return it, they don't ask for the vouchers back, which makes up for you having to QA test their poo poo. But the Nvidia cards are mostly perfectly fine in my experience since they aren't mining and have higher standards.

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010

Pumpy Dumper posted:

My 460 died and I got one of these for around $150: http://www.microcenter.com/product/430854/Nvidia_GeForce_GTX_750Ti_2GB_OC_PCIe_30x16_Video_Card

Marginally better performance, but something like 1/2 the power draw. It'll hold me over till the 870/860 at least. :) If you want something much faster, you might look elsewhere though.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
My brother's 460 just died within a few weeks ago, too. Started glitching out and crashing the system, preceded by super overheating when idling. He even tried reapplying the heat sink. Oh, almost forgot to mention, this was his second 460. The first one died much more suddenly, simply spawning a screen full of glitches and never working again.

I sent him my 670 and kept my newer R9 270X. All in all, I'm pleased with the decision, as I prefer the higher integer math performance for random things, like running Dolphin in OS X. He's pleased with the 35C idle temperatures in his machine.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
I was thinking of getting a 280x, but the reviews for every one I look at just has a pile of people complaining about flickering or noise or artifacts or something. I keep seeing it recommended though. I'm getting mixed signals!

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Kersch posted:

I was thinking of getting a 280x, but the reviews for every one I look at just has a pile of people complaining about flickering or noise or artifacts or something. I keep seeing it recommended though. I'm getting mixed signals!

Just get a 290x

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Kersch posted:

I had some 280x'es and they are perfectly good by themselves but they can't crossfire worth a poo poo. Get a 290 because they will have that Adaptive Sync thing whenever Displayport 1.2a comes out.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

goodness posted:

Just get a 290x
I'd prefer not to go over $300 on a gpu, though.

Zero VGS posted:

I had some 280x'es and they are perfectly good by themselves but they can't crossfire worth a poo poo. Get a 290 because they will have that Adaptive Sync thing whenever Displayport 1.2a comes out.
Wasn't planning on doing multiple cards. What brand of 280x's were you using?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Gigabyte Windforce 280x, ran pretty quiet.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
I've been fine with the MSI 280X I bought on eBay. Quiet and no flickering or other weirdness.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kersch posted:

I'd prefer not to go over $300 on a gpu, though.

Wasn't planning on doing multiple cards. What brand of 280x's were you using?

You can get custom cooled 290s for a hair over 300$ if you shop around.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Arzachel posted:

You can get custom cooled 290s for a hair over 300$ if you shop around.

The price:performance is insane for these. Did *coin miners really buy THAT MUCH stock? Are we still seeing that as the primary factor suppressing the market for them? They're a crazy anomaly on the price to performance curve, though I guess you take on quite a lot of risk with some of the cards.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

The price:performance is insane for these. Did *coin miners really buy THAT MUCH stock? Are we still seeing that as the primary factor suppressing the market for them? They're a crazy anomaly on the price to performance curve, though I guess you take on quite a lot of risk with some of the cards.

Not really, buy one with a transferrable warranty. Hassle, at worst. But I reckon it's not as risky as some think. After all, they're effectively soak tested!

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Agreed posted:

Did *coin miners really buy THAT MUCH stock?

Yes. People were building million dollar+ setups.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I also cant believe the used price is still where its at. I still see local craigslist 290x's for $300, although for brands I don't like. It's amazing the premium you pay for a good warranty, something that traditionally hasn't been all that important in the past. But it makes sense. I wonder if the price will ever "recover" before something new comes out and make them even cheaper.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Vectorwulf posted:

My 460 died and I got one of these for around $150: http://www.microcenter.com/product/430854/Nvidia_GeForce_GTX_750Ti_2GB_OC_PCIe_30x16_Video_Card

Marginally better performance, but something like 1/2 the power draw. It'll hold me over till the 870/860 at least. :) If you want something much faster, you might look elsewhere though.

I did the same thing as Vectorwulf to replace my 460. The performance of a 750TI is slightly better than a 460, much lower power usage, nad it gives your access to newer features like shadow play etc that the old 460 didn't have.

I got mine as a stopgap to get me by till I build a new gaming machine next year and I have been happy with it. I will either move it into my wife's machine or maybe keep it as a dedicated PhysX card in my machine even though that doesn't help many games much.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 6, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
:tviv: Windows 8.1 Update 2 is going to enable the APIs for a Windows PC to become a Miracast receiver. I need that. I burn for it.

It just needs software support. Where is that going to come from? A big phone and gizmo maker like Samsung? Stuff it into GeForce Experience (which just added Miracast send support)? Some schmuck on the Windows Store?

It hasn't come up in this thread, I think, but it's really cool that basically every new PC and many old ones running Windows 8.1 support Miracast. I think it's a lot more intuitive a technology than trying to set up media servers and whatnot.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/05/no_second_windows_8_1_update/

There is no longer an official "Update 2", they're just going to push out updates as and when without fanfare

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 6, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Fine, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 August Updates :jerkbag:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Factory Factory posted:

:tviv: Windows 8.1 Update 2 is going to enable the APIs for a Windows PC to become a Miracast receiver. I need that. I burn for it.

It just needs software support. Where is that going to come from? A big phone and gizmo maker like Samsung? Stuff it into GeForce Experience (which just added Miracast send support)? Some schmuck on the Windows Store?

It hasn't come up in this thread, I think, but it's really cool that basically every new PC and many old ones running Windows 8.1 support Miracast. I think it's a lot more intuitive a technology than trying to set up media servers and whatnot.

what's miracast good for?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/05/no_second_windows_8_1_update/

There is no longer an official "Update 2", they're just going to push out updates as and when without fanfare

Article doesn't justify headline.

The August 12th update obviously is "Update 2", and we won't see any further "Update Tuesdays". Just some marketing misdirection.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 6, 2014

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

Article doesn't justify headline.

The August 12th update obviously is "Update 2", and we won't see any further "Update Tuesdays". Just some marketing misdirection.

To be fair, Microsoft said this themselves:

"despite rumors and speculation, we are not planning to deliver a Windows 8.1 “Update 2.”"

Yes, the update is the update you hoped for, but Microsoft have gone on a rebranding exercise, because marketing is such a strong suit of Microsoft's.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 6, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair, Microsoft said this themselves:

"despite rumors and speculation, we are not planning to deliver a Windows 8.1 “Update 2.”"

That's the blog post referenced by the article.

Acting like this is some kind of "new approach" is ridiculous, when Microsoft have obviously abandoned the sinking Windows 8.1 ship for a Windows 9 marketing push next year. That's why we're not getting a full "Update 2" returning the start menu.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Fame Douglas posted:

That's the blog post referenced by the article.

Acting like this is some kind of "new approach" is ridiculous, when Microsoft have obviously abandoned the sinking Windows 8.1 ship for a Windows 9 marketing push next year. That's why we're not getting a full "Update 2" returning the start menu.

I'd argue that it's a move to a different software development model. MS may yet be ditching the 8 ship for 9's shores, but changing away from the Update nomenclature doesn't have anything to do with that, IMO.

r0ck0 posted:

what's miracast good for?

It's Steam Home Streaming without sending input back, basically. It's like Intel WiDi for everything - putting your screen on another screen wirelessly. Currently its big use is in Android phones and tablets being put onto TVs, but any Windows 8.1 logo device and many, many systems running 8.1 logo or not have the same capability.

With 8.1 Miracast receiver stuff, you can take your Miracast device and display it on your monitor without buying a $60 dongle or being prescient enough to buy a smart TV with a Miracast receiver.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Palladium posted:

Whenever a gaming laptop question comes out, the first thing to ask is always "do you really need a gaming laptop?".

While I agree there's rapidly diminishing returns, discrete graphics is pretty important to being able to play video games. And being able to do CUDA development on a laptop is pretty nice.

I haven't tried playing games on an Ivy-Bridge generation chip but my past experience with trying to game and work on Intel Integrated graphics chip can basically be summed up as "never again". They're there to draw the Windows desktop, nothing more.