Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I kind of want somebody to photoshop Letterman into Groot and have him saying "I AM GORP," as per his interview with Chris Pratt last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

James Franco to Colbert tonight:

Franco: "So are you going to go Democrat on your new show?"
Colbert: "Here's the interesting thing: I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about."

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Ok, I've wondered forever: The disclaimer Letterman gives before a Stupid Pet Tricks segment, is that a legal thing? And/or a running gag? Was it insisted upon way back when by those kooky nutty NBC Lawyers, and now it's tradition?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I didn't see the show, so I'm not sure what you mean. If there's a disclaimer about the safety of the animals or something, that's new.

If it's the bit where Dave says "and please, no wagering" that's a very old joke.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

If it's the bit where Dave says "and please, no wagering" that's a very old joke.
Yes that's the one. I was just watching the Late Night 7th anniversary special and was reminded how long he's been doing it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
So, in a about month, Conan is going to do a live rendition of The Monorail Song from possibly the best thing Conan has ever done, The Simpsons episode "Marge vs. The Monorail".

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

James Corden is Craigy Ferg's replacement.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/television/Craig-Ferguson-to-be-replaced-by-James-Corden-as-host-of-Late-Late-Show.html

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
What the poo poo :psyduck:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Awfully weird to give it to someone with next to no American exposure. Ferguson had at least been on The Drew Carey Show for a long time before his stint began.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

...who?

At least I knew who Craig Ferguson was from the Drew Carey Show before he took on the Late Late Show.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Article should just be called "CBS concedes late night"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I will say that as bizarre as this pick is, its nice that CBS is getting someone who isn't a Hollywood insider for the position. All the current hosts have the same voice and style so even if Corden is terrible, at least he's bringing something fresh to the table.

VVV Kilborn was about as well known then as Colbert is today.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How (un)known was Craig Kilborn, when he got his gig?

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

ufarn posted:

How (un)known was Craig Kilborn, when he got his gig?

He'd already done The Daily Show. If you're asking about how he got that, he was a host on ESPN.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

...who?

At least I knew who Craig Ferguson was from the Drew Carey Show before he took on the Late Late Show.

The closest he's been to a production that's well known in the US is The Wrong Mans, a British series that Hulu picked up, and two episodes of Doctor Who. Why they're rolling the dice on yet another white dude is beyond me.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
James Corden isn't just a nobody, he is an unlikeable rear end in a top hat nobody. How the hell did he get this job??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovzciwEqnQ

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Sometimes I think CBS doesn't actually know what The Late Late Show is, especially not that they air it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Taratang posted:

he is an unlikeable rear end in a top hat

Oh, so they are trying to re-create the Craig Kilborn show.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Taratang posted:

James Corden isn't just a nobody, he is an unlikeable rear end in a top hat nobody. How the hell did he get this job??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ovzciwEqnQ
Ughhhhhhhh.
Yeah, this guy will be a lot of fun...

Edit: Although, if you look into it more, they did make up and it seems like Stewart instigated the fight in the first place. Still, all the clips on YouTube are from exclusively BBC shows. The guy's like a local British personality only.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 5, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Imagine what kind of an rear end in a top hat you have to be to actually get Patrick Stewart that pissed. Dude looked like he was about to crack Corden in the jaw.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Corden guest-starred on Doctor Who, and now has the LLS.

Craig is on the LLS, now maybe he'll get to be on Doctor Who?

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know what y'all are talking about, that video was hilarious. If anyone can fill Craigs shoes, I think its a guy who can legit piss off Sir Patrick Stewart.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Corden guest-starred on Doctor Who, and now has the LLS.

Craig is on the LLS, now maybe he'll get to be on Doctor Who?

Maybe Geoff can come with!

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
I'm in denial over everything. Would Craig have any say over who replaces him? I doubt he cares that much, but I'd hope he wouldn't want to leave his fans with some unfunny rear end in a top hat. That clip looks too out of context to render a judgement.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

Craig said in an interview that he wanted a woman to take over for him, so I doubt he had any say.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Aisha Tyler would have been perfect. :(

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Skunny Wundy posted:

Craig said in an interview that he wanted a woman to take over for him, so I doubt he had any say.

Well Corden is soft like a woman so it works out.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gonz posted:

Aisha Tyler would have been perfect. :(
Julie Klausner suggested this on Twitter and I am in no position to disagree. She's funny and she's got charisma as well talk show hosting experience, even if it was a bad daytime show. What more can you want in a candidate (besides a penis, apparently)?

Just think, if Johnny Carson hadn't gotten all pissy about Joan Rivers having a very short-lived talk show of her own, she very well might have replaced him two decades ago instead of Jay Leno, and we wouldn't even be having this "late night talk show needs a woman host" discussion. She also would have been a much better host than Jay.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

It's a drat shame Norm MacDonald didn't get the Late Late show hosting gig.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Paul Kersey posted:

It's a drat shame Norm MacDonald didn't get the Late Late show hosting gig.

If his appearances on Conan are any indication, it's really not.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Y-Hat posted:

Just think, if Johnny Carson hadn't gotten all pissy about Joan Rivers having a very short-lived talk show of her own, she very well might have replaced him two decades ago instead of Jay Leno, and we wouldn't even be having this "late night talk show needs a woman host" discussion. She also would have been a much better host than Jay.

To be fair, many of Joan River's wigs would have been a better host than Jay.

Is Worldwide Pants going to be involved in the CBS late night lineup after Dave and Craig leave? If not then there's really no question that Craig would have no say in the matter.

JohnSherman posted:

If his appearances on Conan are any indication, it's really not.

MacDonald wasn't just offensively unfunny, he's the kind of guy that makes you kinda nervous and uncomfortable and twitchy just to watch him.

pwn
May 27, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is Worldwide Pants going to be involved in the CBS late night lineup after Dave and Craig leave? If not then there's really no question that Craig would have no say in the matter.
Dave and, by extension, Worldwide Pants, will not be involved in CBS late night franchises after his retirement.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

counterfeitsaint posted:

MacDonald wasn't just offensively unfunny, he's the kind of guy that makes you kinda nervous and uncomfortable and twitchy just to watch him.

That's his schtick. To his credit, MacDonald talked about wanted to change the format of the show to something more like Tom Snyder's Late Night. It might've been a terrible idea in execution, but at least its something a little more interesting than having a sixth late night host doing the same tired poo poo night after night.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

That's his schtick. To his credit, MacDonald talked about wanted to change the format of the show to something more like Tom Snyder's Late Night. It might've been a terrible idea in execution, but at least its something a little more interesting than having a sixth late night host doing the same tired poo poo night after night.

That's every loving podcast ever. I hope Craig does that and we get more shows like the Stephen Fry one, except in audio.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don't even know if Cordon has ever done a talk show over here in the UK, just some crappy looking sports quiz on cable. It's an absolutely baffling decision, and even though I don't dislike the guy I just can't see how this will work at all.

Aisha would've been amazing.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm flabbergasted that the job might go to Corden (it's still not confirmed afaik). I mean I can kinda get the thought process. Get another Brit to replace Ferguson, get someone who's willing to come to Hollywood and who might get a popularity push soon due to that fairy tale movie. But of all British comedians I've had the pleasure to watch on British tv, he really never stood out to me. I haven't seen either Gavin & Stacey nor The Wrong Mans, so perhaps I just didn't catch the good stuff.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 6, 2014

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
I think they just wanted another person named Craig to continue the trend and kinda got confused.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Irish Joe posted:

I can respect wanting to try something new, the thing is it still needs to be good. I've never understood the "No no, it's not supposed to be funny, that's the joke!" train of thought. Even when you're unfunny and annoying on purpose you're still unfunny and annoying.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I really enjoy Norm MacDonald, but I totally get why so many people don't and there's no way in hell he'll ever get a late night show on network TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

This guy? Really? He's pretty good at scripted stuff; his character in The Wrong Mans was rather good. Take him off that script, like some of his other appearances on BBC panel shows, and... well, if you're trying to draw from the British talent pool, get Rob Brydon or someone like that.