Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Veyrall posted:

I've never played Suicide Black before, so I might be way off with some of these cards.

Someone help me balance this I don't know how to balance this. Also, I like the thought that learning from Horrors instead of Demons is really bad for your health.
Firstly, Tribal is not a super-type that is ever likely to return (sorry!) - right up there with stuff like Storm. Secondly, a triple black Sorcery speed tutor should not have such a crippling drawback when compared to other 'standard' tutor effects (which are normally 4 CMC with no drawback).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BaiSha posted:

sort of a cross between vexing devil and soultether golem. I was initially worried about being able to add fade counters with mana instead of just life, but I figure if the initial number of fade counters is low enough then it keeps the card from being too much of a fireball on legs.

Hmm, the main issue I see with this card is that black suicide tends to involve an all in strategy. Let's say you were to take away the option to do anything but pay life, then that would be suicide black because you're committing to the fact that you're playing that guy, no matter how disastrous. So I'm going to recommend to keep it simple and forget vanishing, just make it lose 2 life on each of your turns.

vegetables posted:

I think this is probably too weak:

Just make it so that each player loses 1 life. Bam, now it's aggressive.

This card would go into another Phyrexian themed set with Phyrexian mana or other stuff that makes you benefit from paying life. It's a bit underpowered for regular creatures, on the curve with infect, so I think it works out well as an uncommon build around.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 3, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This isn't a serious entry to the contest, but it's definitely something that could have been printed in '94.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Disfigure, temporary Gruesome Deformity, and some black burn, all at the price of two life.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I forgot about a similar card until I uploaded this one. I'm not sure whether the lower mana cost is an even tradeoff for being poisoned. On the other hand, I like the flavor of this one a little more.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

The internet has some seriously unfortunate vampire art. I had to go with the art without gratuitous boobs, even though it doesn't show flying. Sorry about that.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Zephirum posted:

I forgot about a similar card until I uploaded this one. I'm not sure whether the lower mana cost is an even tradeoff for being poisoned. On the other hand, I like the flavor of this one a little more.

Assuming this card is printed in a set where poison exists (ie. New Phyrexia 2: Electric Boogaloo), this could probably cost BB and have no poison threshold requirement given that unlike its predecessor it can't hit opponents.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mikujin posted:

Assuming this card is printed in a set where poison exists (ie. New Phyrexia 2: Electric Boogaloo), this could probably cost BB and have no poison threshold requirement given that unlike its predecessor it can't hit opponents.

But in Modern or whatever that'd read "BB: Draw 3" unless you're playing against infect.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mikujin posted:

I dunno. Obviously, such a card (BB: 3 cards and 3 poison) would never be printed outside Phyrexia II: Infect Harder. However, if it were, it would warp the environment towards Infect, because it would be so strong against non-infect. Of course, they might decide to not give black any infect for *storyline reasons*, which would create a tension between black and infect.

In Modern, infect is a thing and it probably always will be (2 of the top 8 in Worcester were infect). Still, 3 cards for 2 mana is big even in Modern, so this would likewise warp the environment.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
BW Leeches.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Mikujin posted:

Firstly, Tribal is not a super-type that is ever likely to return (sorry!) - right up there with stuff like Storm. Secondly, a triple black Sorcery speed tutor should not have such a crippling drawback when compared to other 'standard' tutor effects (which are normally 4 CMC with no drawback).

How about a tutor that encourages you to kill yourself? Also, I had no idea how to template this effect, so any help on that front would totally get good karma from me.

Veyrall fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 4, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Veyrall posted:

How about a tutor that encourages you to kill yourself? Also, I had no idea how to template this effect, so any help on that front would totally get good karma from me.

This feels much less like suicide black and more like a borderline unplayable tutor. If you're at 1 life, short of something like Reverse the Sands, a tutor isn't what you need.
Templating seems fine though. I doubt there'd be a significant difference if you made it "~ costs 1 more for every life you have"

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

That doesn't really seem very Suicide black... Suicide black usually gives you an advantage at the cost of killing you, this kills your opponents and encourages you to not attack (on the ground anyway).

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Yeah, I am really only now starting to grasp how Suicide Black is supposed to play. It's a very specific archetype, it seems. Let's try this revised design.

And one last attempt at getting it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

suiBlack would never play tutors. suiBlack would never spend its turn two casting anything other than something like Skittering Skirge or Flesh Reaver. If suiBlack wants card advantage/quality at all, it's probably only something like Sign in Blood, which can go to the dome in a pinch.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eh, the best way I've had suicide black described to me was "You rip off your arm and then beat the other person to death before you bleed out." There's really nothing clever about it, in fact, you're pretty stupid for doing it. But that's how it goes, just an all in sort of play driven to just win.

These cards can (and often should) require careful consideration and calculation when using them, but the card flavor itself shouldn't, a la "Can you count to 20 in burn?".

edit:

Rakdos in general is a good example of the suicide approach to strategy.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 5, 2014

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Veyrall posted:

Yeah, I am really only now starting to grasp how Suicide Black is supposed to play. It's a very specific archetype, it seems. Let's try this revised design.

That's basically Death Wish

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
You know what Rakdos hates? Life totals and having cards in hand!

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

You know what Rakdos hates? Life totals and having cards in hand!

Is upkeep before or after draw? I think this should hit you after you draw, or else it might not hurt you sometimes.

Ramos posted:

Eh, the best way I've had suicide black described to me was "You rip off your arm and then beat the other person to death before you bleed out." There's really nothing clever about it, in fact, you're pretty stupid for doing it. But that's how it goes, just an all in sort of play driven to just win.

These cards can (and often should) require careful consideration and calculation when using them, but the card flavor itself shouldn't, a la "Can you count to 20 in burn?".

edit:

Rakdos in general is a good example of the suicide approach to strategy.

This is good, if a bit cheap for what it does. If you have good lands and at least 8 life, it untaps to be a 24 power creature with trample.

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Is upkeep before or after draw? I think this should hit you after you draw, or else it might not hurt you sometimes.

This won't hurt you if you don't have cards in hand at the start of your turn, since you draw after your upkeep. I'm fine with that, since trying to work around it just makes it wordier.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Literally Suicide Black :v:

Still waiting for Return to Kamigawa, Wizards, make it happen.

(Couldn't find the artist, from a cursory reverse GIS, if someone is more familiar with that sort of thing, I'd be glad to give credit)

Gensuki posted:

Yes it is, it goes Untap Upkeep Draw. I like the card, because it might not hurt you indeed, if you play it well, as well as because it keeps to principle of having effects like that at upkeep, seeing how it'd be kinda wonky if it always either hurt you or hampered your tricks, if it triggered at the beginning of the main phase.

That wasn't a good sentence, sorry.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Gensuki posted:

This is good, if a bit cheap for what it does. If you have good lands and at least 8 life, it untaps to be a 24 power creature with trample.

Good point. Ran some math, moved the numbers around on him.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

This won't hurt you if you don't have cards in hand at the start of your turn, since you draw after your upkeep. I'm fine with that, since trying to work around it just makes it wordier.

Not much wordier. Just replace "upkeep" with "draw step".

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I like that it doesn't hurt you if you're Hellbent. That's very Rakdos. Having it check cards in hand after the draw step means it will deal 1 damage no matter what, and that seems like an unnecessary drawback.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I like that it doesn't hurt you if you're Hellbent. That's very Rakdos. Having it check cards in hand after the draw step means it will deal 1 damage no matter what, and that seems like an unnecessary drawback.

Unnecessary drawback, yes, Suicide Black, also yes.

I'm not the judge, so I don't know how Sleep of Bronze feels on it, nor does my opinion necessarily affect anything, but making the card slightly worse in exchange for fitting the week's theme slightly better seems like a good thing to me.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

(This one is my favorite of the cycle because it has the simplest wording)

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Sacrifices a number of creatures equal to the difference between...

Loses life equal to the difference between...

The last one is weirdest because it suggests continuous incremental life loss in instances of 1 until that number matches your life total, as opposed to one large chunk of life (triggering only one instance of life lost).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The last one, if I understand it properly, should be phrased like this card. First one I like, second one doesn't feel suicide black, the third strikes me as overpowered.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
None of those seem suicide black. They combo with the archetype pretty well, but none of them give you any kind of positive advantage, and none of them require you to pay an extra cost for their power.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Gensuki posted:

Unnecessary drawback, yes, Suicide Black, also yes.

I'm not the judge, so I don't know how Sleep of Bronze feels on it, nor does my opinion necessarily affect anything, but making the card slightly worse in exchange for fitting the week's theme slightly better seems like a good thing to me.

I don't usually offer opinions before the end, but I might as well put in that I'm OK with this one. If it were more expensive and you were more likely to be hellbent by the time it got down, I'd likely prefer the draw step phrase - though then the drawback is just too small for the boost to be especially significant - but I think it's fine on a 2 mana creature. Suicide Black can get away with negating its disadvantages (e.g. Carnophage), it just can't be too cavalier about it.

(That said, I think I would develop the card slightly differently. I won't actually say how though, because I think that's offering too much help. :cheeky: )

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

You might want to clarify that the +2/+2 stacks with the +1/+1.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

This deeply misunderstands suiBlack even while topically aping one of its best cards (Flesh Reaver) and also isn't a Vampire despite having the 'vampire' mechanic from Zendikar.

It should probably be closer to that Oni that was posted allll the way back in the very first contest:

Bloodfeeder B
Creature - Vampire Horror

Trample
Whenever Bloodfeeder deals combat damage, you lose two life
As long as you have 10 or less life, Bloodfeeder gets +2/+2.

2/2

Now it's actually closer to a suiBlack card, and as a side-note, actually beats the curve.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Oh huh, it is a lot weaker than flesh reaver. I thought there was already a card like that but I couldn't find it. I guess I can tweak the starting p/t or the bonus it gets.

As a side note Zendikar vampires care about your opponents' life total, not your own

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mmm, just like a banana.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 5, 2014

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Costing suicide cards is pretty tough. I might have made the mana costs a bit too low.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

The instant's probably fine, since that was one of Orzhov Charm's modes. That demon seems like an awfully big set of numbers for a two drop, though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

Costing suicide cards is pretty tough. I might have made the mana costs a bit too low.

Ahem :colbert:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mine hits black creatures and uses the creature's power instead. Totally different. :colbert:

Heatwizard posted:

The instant's probably fine, since that was one of Orzhov Charm's modes. That demon seems like an awfully big set of numbers for a two drop, though.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about that one. I think it needs to stay at two mana because Suspending everything is going to be even worse if you start on turn 4, so maybe I should just lower its power to 4 or 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A 6/3 for 2 would be overpowered even if it said "At the beginning of your upkeep, bash your head against the table until it bleeds."

On the other hand, a 4/3 flier for 2 that gives your opponent a Mindslaver? Useless.

• Locked thread