Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

I'm in agreement with this line of thinking. It looks like a bunch of the quiet people are still newbies so I can see them wanting to hang back and figure out what's going on but Opop's just refusing to make opinions.

##vote Opopanax

Ixtlilton posted:

Because not forcing opinions is totally a scum tell, you see.

This comes after a perfectly reasonable vote by Rarity against quiet Opop. I don't necessarily mind quiet Opop on D1, but faulting someone for making a vote out of it seems very scummy to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

MEDS CURE SCHIZOS posted:

I'm so glad you're making game decisions based on probability.

Here's some probability you can understand. The odds of you being scum are exactly 0.5, or 50%. This is because you are either scum or you are not.

However, my odds of being scum are 0.0, or 0%, because I know that I am not scum.

Q.E.D, by the laws of probability, we should lynch you.

Keep jerking yourself off there scrubface.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Ixtlilton posted:

Keep jerking yourself off there scrubface.
Are you going to add anything constructive at this point?

I've at least pointed out that your statistical analysis (which even yourself criticized) did absolutely nothing in the face of actual behavior.

If you're happy and satisfied that you outed the town day-vig based on a "flavorcop" and got the busdriver, then I guess you can keep on keepin' on, but I think the rest of us would appreciate something of worth being added to this thread.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Are you going to add anything constructive at this point?

I've at least pointed out that your statistical analysis (which even yourself criticized) did absolutely nothing in the face of actual behavior.

If you're happy and satisfied that you outed the town day-vig based on a "flavorcop" and got the busdriver, then I guess you can keep on keepin' on, but I think the rest of us would appreciate something of worth being added to this thread.

So the vig misplayed the situation horribly, made a bad shot when he clearly should've shot you, and now that's my fault? Good stuff, man. Really good stuff. And my analysis was useful, both things I've done got reactions and I've gotten reads from them, so just keep jerking off while some of us actually play the game.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Like really, let's take a look at your plan: claim and tell your result first thing. It gets no reactions and if he's scum he would never in a million years deny it. Terrible, awful, horrible plan, that completely defeats the purpose of trying to catch scum with the result at all.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Little Mac posted:

I'm out right now and posting via phone. Should be able to be back in time for deadline to reread Are, but honestly, he seems scummy to me in every game we've ever been in together.

I agree with this. Ardulac is seriously like BN levels of scummy. It's truly a gift.

Ardulac posted:

I'm back now. The case on me is bad, but if everyone will at least post meaningful thoughts on it then I can die happy. I take issue with the idea that I'm anti-fun. I just don't think Ecco's gimmick is fun or indicative of effort play or anything else that I value in Mafia play. Obviously there isn't much agreement with me on that point.

It seems that the case was entirely him objecting to reading Ecco's posts because they were a pain in the rear end to read, but they are a pain in the rear end to read.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

Oh, I didn't realize he was one of the new ones!

##unvote

Gotta find someone else to vote, though.

This is the worst way to say this ever. I don't know if FL is wording it like this just because he's new but this reads as he doesn't actually care if he finds the right one to vote, just that he should vote for someone new.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god there's still so many more pages. I'm taking a break.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Asiina posted:

This is the worst way to say this ever. I don't know if FL is wording it like this just because he's new but this reads as he doesn't actually care if he finds the right one to vote, just that he should vote for someone new.
People said it's bad etiquette to lynch a newb. I didn't realize Sam was new. I didn't want to vote out a newb if that's bad form.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

And I was looking for an alternative to get the vote off Ard because I believed his claim. So anyone I was unsure about seemed like a better option than someone I was somewhat convinced was town.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I kinda wanna lynch Ixtlilton for posting like he's Lumpen.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

But then there's a much smaller part of me that wants to lynch anyone who hates Mario Party.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Ixtlilton posted:

So the vig misplayed the situation horribly, made a bad shot when he clearly should've shot you, and now that's my fault? Good stuff, man. Really good stuff. And my analysis was useful, both things I've done got reactions and I've gotten reads from them, so just keep jerking off while some of us actually play the game.

You're not actually playing at this point, though. Your view on me is entirely personal and not founded in actual reality.

If you're willing to actually make a case that says your alignment view on me is entirely based on play and not, you know, me calling the entirety of your decisions in this game for the idiotic spectacles that they are, then make one.

Otherwise, you're just rolling with the punches.

Ixwhatever, I'm not actually spelling this poo poo correctly posted:

Like really, let's take a look at your plan: claim and tell your result first thing. It gets no reactions and if he's scum he would never in a million years deny it. Terrible, awful, horrible plan, that completely defeats the purpose of trying to catch scum with the result at all.

To be fair, you only claimed you got "Slim Charles" after he did. You claimed Barksdale Organization first, which implies one of a few things:

A: You went purely off the name, used knowledge of the show/Google to put two and two together, and charged forth despite the whole "Randomized role/flavor" thing.
B: You didn't get Slim Charles, you got Barksdale Organization, which means you're an actual cop and you decided that this would be your magnum opus in scum hunting.
C: You got "dayvig" as a result because you're a rolecop, and somehow decided that trading a rolecop for a dayvig would be a good scum move.

At this point, I don't even want to lynch you: That's how bad you are. You're a clear detriment to scum and if I was your scumbuddy, I'd probably nightkill you myself to both get rid of you and sow some confusion.

Your power, if you are telling the truth, is useless in a randomized role/flavor game. If you're not telling the truth, you're probably going to end up doing whatever in the hell you want and it doesn't matter because you're already lying and therefore can be discounted.

Thank you for firmly clearing yourself. Happy hunting.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

##unvote

In case I had actually put my vote on Ix earlier.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Little Mac posted:

I kinda wanna lynch Ixtlilton for posting like he's Lumpen.

I'm going to take that as a compliment because Lumpen is a forums treasure.

You're not actually playing at this point, though. Your view on me is entirely personal and not founded in actual reality.

If you're willing to actually make a case that says your alignment view on me is entirely based on play and not, you know, me calling the entirety of your decisions in this game for the idiotic spectacles that they are, then make one.

Otherwise, you're just rolling with the punches.

To be fair, you only claimed you got "Slim Charles" after he did. You claimed Barksdale Organization first, which implies one of a few things:

A: You went purely off the name, used knowledge of the show/Google to put two and two together, and charged forth despite the whole "Randomized role/flavor" thing.
B: You didn't get Slim Charles, you got Barksdale Organization, which means you're an actual cop and you decided that this would be your magnum opus in scum hunting.
C: You got "dayvig" as a result because you're a rolecop, and somehow decided that trading a rolecop for a dayvig would be a good scum move.

At this point, I don't even want to lynch you: That's how bad you are. You're a clear detriment to scum and if I was your scumbuddy, I'd probably nightkill you myself to both get rid of you and sow some confusion.

Your power, if you are telling the truth, is useless in a randomized role/flavor game. If you're not telling the truth, you're probably going to end up doing whatever in the hell you want and it doesn't matter because you're already lying and therefore can be discounted.

Thank you for firmly clearing yourself. Happy hunting.

You were incredibly intellectually dishonest with your post about my role, where I was clearly telling the truth and your ~tone~ with your bolded sentences was fake as gently caress. Happy? And seriously, all of my play decisions this game have been sound and my theory yesterday got good reactions and is what I would've done as scum, so you're just being a massive flaming rear end in a top hat.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I have a feeling barksdale doesn't automatically mean scum

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

CapitalistPig posted:

I have a feeling barksdale doesn't automatically mean scum

Yeah, me too, but it was worth seeing if he'd lie about it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Ixtlilton posted:

You were incredibly intellectually dishonest with your post about my role, where I was clearly telling the truth and your ~tone~ with your bolded sentences was fake as gently caress. Happy? And seriously, all of my play decisions this game have been sound and my theory yesterday got good reactions and is what I would've done as scum, so you're just being a massive flaming rear end in a top hat.

Gotcha. Your entire case against me is entirely emotionally motivated. Good to know.

Ixtlilton posted:

Yeah, me too, but it was worth seeing if he'd lie about it.

To be fair, you're being actually dishonest about your role, which forces any perceived intellectual dishonesty that you might claim in your race towards martyrdom.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Gotcha. Your entire case against me is entirely emotionally motivated. Good to know.

To be fair, you're being actually dishonest about your role, which forces any perceived intellectual dishonesty that you might claim in your race towards martyrdom.

How am I being dishonest about my role? I flavorcopped him and got his flavorname. And claiming that I am or that I'm "racing towards martyrdom" is incredibly intellectually dishonest. Like holy poo poo levels of intellectual dishonesty.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Ixtlilton posted:

How am I being dishonest about my role? I flavorcopped him and got his flavorname. And claiming that I am or that I'm "racing towards martyrdom" is incredibly intellectually dishonest. Like holy poo poo levels of intellectual dishonesty.

Then why didn't you claim his flavor name, even in a stupid breadcrumb? Hell, why'd you push for him to begin with if that was all you had on him?

Why'd you go immediately towards "Barksdale Organization" if you weren't making an intellectual leap and conflating Barksdale Organization characters and scum even when the moderator says that flavor and roles have been randomly assigned?

Your entire modus operandi against KB was intellectually dishonest. Let's solve that before we start throwing that term around to mean "said mean things about Ixtlilton".

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

So what was your result? Was it Barksdale Organization, Slim Charles, or what?

[u[If you got "Slim Charles" and Googled it/knew about the show, then Barksdale Organization is a hell of a loving leap to make in a game with randomized roles and flavor[/u]. If you got Barksdale Organization, then saying that you knew he was Slim Charles is a lie and something you came up with after he already loving said it.

I'll be blunt: Had you gotten Slim Charles, you should have loving said Slim Charles. If you got something else, you are currently backpedaling because your story isn't straight.

And the underlined part is intellectually dishonest, there's no way you can claim otherwise. Making flavor connections in the show for a character to not give away I knew who he was is pretty basic and not even a tiny hop.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Then why didn't you claim his flavor name, even in a stupid breadcrumb? Hell, why'd you push for him to begin with if that was all you had on him?

Why'd you go immediately towards "Barksdale Organization" if you weren't making an intellectual leap and conflating Barksdale Organization characters and scum even when the moderator says that flavor and roles have been randomly assigned?

Your entire modus operandi against KB was intellectually dishonest. Let's solve that before we start throwing that term around to mean "said mean things about Ixtlilton".

And yes, I was intentionally doing that so that if he was scum he would lie and say he wasn't, holy poo poo how are you this dense.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Little Mac posted:

But then there's a much smaller part of me that wants to lynch anyone who hates Mario Party.

people are hating on Mario Party? I'm just catching up now.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Flavorcop seems weird in a game where we were told up front that flavor doesn't mean much (although flips have seemed to stick somewhat close to flavor in terms of roles)

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

If you don't believe I'll pick someone and tell you their name tomorrow, jfc.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Tremendous Taste posted:

Other than that, normal mafia rules apply. Just don't try to break the game. Here are some things you should know:
Character names and roles have been randomized! There is no correlation between a character's actions in the show and their powers here.

Also, the OP says powers, not alignments.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Ixtlilton posted:

And the underlined part is intellectually dishonest, there's no way you can claim otherwise. Making flavor connections in the show for a character to not give away I knew who he was is pretty basic and not even a tiny hop.

This ain't the show, boss.

That's where you're loving up.

You all but called him out as scum based on flavor, he panicked and let everyone know that he's a dayvig, and here we are. Can I blame you for his reaction? Eh, kind of. It's more manslaughter through negligence. You're culpable, but you're not directly responsible.

We got a dead bus driver, a now-vanilla townsperson, and a "flavorcop". So, one dead, one vanilla, and one useless in the great calculation of "Who do scum target?". In one fell swoop, you successfully narrowed the field of potential scum targets by three, because you decided to push a case on Day 2 based on nothing but flavor.

That's why I'm hounding you: You're not realizing this. You remain convinced that you made the right play, when the right play all along was to shut the gently caress up and not push KB to begin with.

Hindsight's 20/20, but that doesn't excuse you how you approached things.

Ixtlilton posted:

Also, the OP says powers, not alignments.

In that case, make a formal vote on KB: You identified him as a Barksdale Organization member, he's vanilla town so we're not losing anything by him dying, and we get to prove whether you're completely full of poo poo or just partially full of poo poo.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Hal Incandenza posted:

people are hating on Mario Party? I'm just catching up now.

gently caress those people. Mario Party for the win.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

In that case, make a formal vote on KB: You identified him as a Barksdale Organization member, he's vanilla town so we're not losing anything by him dying, and we get to prove whether you're completely full of poo poo or just partially full of poo poo.

For what it's worth, since it doesn't matter anymore, here is the quote thing at the top of my role PM:

"Y'all trifling with Avon Barksdale reputation, you know that? "

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

This ain't the show, boss.

That's where you're loving up.

You all but called him out as scum based on flavor, he panicked and let everyone know that he's a dayvig, and here we are. Can I blame you for his reaction? Eh, kind of. It's more manslaughter through negligence. You're culpable, but you're not directly responsible.

We got a dead bus driver, a now-vanilla townsperson, and a "flavorcop". So, one dead, one vanilla, and one useless in the great calculation of "Who do scum target?". In one fell swoop, you successfully narrowed the field of potential scum targets by three, because you decided to push a case on Day 2 based on nothing but flavor.

That's why I'm hounding you: You're not realizing this. You remain convinced that you made the right play, when the right play all along was to shut the gently caress up and not push KB to begin with.

Hindsight's 20/20, but that doesn't excuse you how you approached things.

I don't think he's scum, I was just saying flavor still might matter, and with Ardulac's power we already know it does to some degree. And saying the right play is to not get information is just so dumb and terrible. And he didn't panic and tell people that, he hosed up and misread one of my posts. And him shooting Opop is in no way my fault, and you clearly don't think I'm scum so you're hounding me for posturing.

And how am I even partially full of poo poo, what are you on about?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So while I agree there is some wackiness about the Ix stuff, and I didn't even know flavorcop was a thing, he was actually right that there was some connection there.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'll be blunt: Had you gotten Slim Charles, you should have loving said Slim Charles. If you got something else, you are currently backpedaling because your story isn't straight.
How would this make sense? "Hey are you Slim Charles?" What, is the guy gonna say no, after his character just was called out by name, out of all the hundred or whatever people from the show? So KB would say "yeah I'm Slim Charles but I'm town" and then what would that have accomplished? The way Lil' Ton actually went about it, accusing him of being a Barksdale character, at least had the chance of catching him in a lie if denies it.

Btw, flavorcop may be a weird power to have in this game, but so far we've seen dayvig, a resurrection thing, a bus driver, and a tracker, so I think there's a lot of power roles.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

You all but called him out as scum based on flavor,
He didn't straight call him scum, he asked if he belonged to Barksdale, which doesn't necessarily mean scum in this game, and when he did this, he didn't indicate he knew so it just seemed like ordinary questioning that he could get a reaction from.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

The way Lil' Ton actually went about it, accusing him of being a Barksdale character, at least had the chance of catching him in a lie if denies it.

This is because him denying it would catch one of them in a lie. The method of questioning doesn't matter.

quote:

Btw, flavorcop may be a weird power to have in this game, but so far we've seen dayvig, a resurrection thing, a bus driver, and a tracker, so I think there's a lot of power roles.

...thanks. I thought for sure that this was a mostly vanilla game for a moment.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Fast Luck posted:

He didn't straight call him scum, he asked if he belonged to Barksdale, which doesn't necessarily mean scum in this game, and when he did this, he didn't indicate he knew so it just seemed like ordinary questioning that he could get a reaction from.

Of course he didn't straight call him scum, that's a bit forward, especially for someone as sensitive and logical as Ix.

Press him for information, accuse him (however rightly it might be) of being associated with the canonical 'bad guys' in the show, but no, not a formal accusation, Ix never thought he was scum, no sir.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

This is because him denying it would catch one of them in a lie. The method of questioning doesn't matter.

The method of questioning absolutely does matter because there's no way he would lie if he were called out by name, but there is with a more general accusation.

Of course he didn't straight call him scum, that's a bit forward, especially for someone as sensitive and logical as Ix.

Press him for information, accuse him (however rightly it might be) of being associated with the canonical 'bad guys' in the show, but no, not a formal accusation, Ix never thought he was scum, no sir.

Yes I did. His play today was really scummy and that's why I decided to press the issue rather than just leave my early breadcrumb and move on.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sorry, that second post of mine was really poorly expressed. What I mean is, it's not that unusual for people to accuse people of being scum. Therefore, that accusation didn't reveal that Ix had done a flavor investigation, so KB could have tried to lie, thinking he could get away with it, in which case Ix would have caught him dead to rights as being scum.

Jeez, you really have a knack for being insufferable. But anyway, along this point, the multitude of power roles definitely opens the possibility for a scum dayvig I guess.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Seriously, what the hell is your problem, man? Why are you even arguing at this point?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I sat at the podium, dumbstruck. How could two people be so insufferably terrible? How could a fool shoot another in cold blood with their fiery weapons? How did this all happen so fast and so stupidly?

I finally had enough.

"Meds guy," I said, not thinking clearly and just speaking words as they came to me. "You're being dumb. You say there's absolutely no benefit to choosing intercepts. I posit this: a role that receives all (or some other conditional amount) of the gang's chatter when we successfully intercept, and we receive random tidbits solely so we know we chose correctly. Such a role would have no motivation to claim it, for obvious reasons, but that would provide a powerful incentive for us to attempt to actually intercept."

I paused for a breath, and continued. "Also stop attacking the Ixt guy. You're dumb. He's obviously not a gang member who decided to claim spontaneously to get us to vote off a bumbler. It's so needless."

I then turned to said bumbler; "why oh why did you shoot someone like that?" Then, to the crowd: "He is obviously also not a gang member, however, because the ability to eliminate an opponent so quickly is far too powerful to waste so carelessly."

I turned to the Ixt guy, opened my mouth, but I produced only exasperated grunts. After a few seconds I just muttered "you are a disappoitment" and moved on.

I then made a case for why the Iced Fenix is likely overeager brigand, how he tried (poorly) to push us back onto the paid phones yesterday (in a move that, considering celled phones were gaining steam, looks especially bad.) Then I pointed out what others have said before: how what snippet of successful conversation we have received suggests also that he could be the potential author, due to his penchant for capitalizing words for emphasis.

The crowd looked at what I had to say, and considered it thoughtfully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I am considering that thoughtfully.

• Locked thread