Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Everyone always talks about survival horror games but where is all the love for just good old fashioned survival games? Granted there wasn't much produced over the years and the games that are about wilderness survival tend to have another gimmick to mix up the gameplay. Because let's face it, if the game just put you on an island without much danger, finding water in coconuts can only be so fun. Most of these games have some kind of sci-fi or supernatural aspect to them to keep them from being food eating simulators.

This thread is not for Survival Horror games, for that discussion please go here.

The Long Dark (PC)

Released: Still in development
The Long Dark is a first-person open world survival simulation video game in development by Canadian company Hinterland for multiple platforms. The player assumes the role of a crash-landed bush pilot who must survive the frigid Canadian wilderness after a global disaster.

5/5 Birdshit-Water Enemas

Don't Starve (PC)
Released: 2013

Wikipedia posted:

The game follows a scientist named Wilson who finds himself in a dark, dreary world and must survive as long as possible. Toward this end, the player must keep Wilson healthy, fed, and mentally stable as he avoids a variety of surreal and supernatural enemies that will try to kill and devour him. The game's "Adventure" mode adds depth to the sparse plot and pits Wilson against the game's antagonist, Maxwell.

UnRealWorld (PC)
Released: 1992

UnReal World is a Finnish Iron Age survival game. The game still gets regular updates as of 2014.

Wikipedia posted:

"The game is set in a very realistic gameworld, full of elements from Finnish mythology and folklore. Instead of standard AD&D character classes, you play as member of one of the ten Finnish cultures with authentic occupations, including a fisherman, a hermit, a trapper, or even a tradesman."[1]

The game has both real time and turn-based elements. The main aspect of the game is on survival. Unexpected events like a snowstorm can lead to a quick death of the player character.[3] UnReal World focus is simulating a harsh environment, where survival is the main challenge for most players. The game simulates a lot of details like frostbite of individual body parts.[4] The world includes different animals, cultures, vegetation and climate. The player can roam freely in the world and manipulate a wide range of aspects like hunting and skinning animals, constructing shelters, etc.

Goon thoughts:

TresTristesTigres posted:

Unreal World is like a mix between Harvest Moon and the adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress. It's challenging at first to make a character that can survive very long, but rewarding once you do. For me, the key is being able to drop a large elk/deer/bear within the first couple of weeks and living long enough to smoke the meat and bury it - if you can do that, you probably have enough food to survive the first winter and can focus on trading for clothes and armor in the coastal cultures that have shops. I recommend creating a hulking character (because equipment plus a full suit of iron armor is heavy) who is good with a bow. I also recommend keeping close track of where your dogs are in combat or you will accidentally hit them with an arrow and then feel bad in real life. Finally, keep a good stock of captured Njerpez weapons so you can arm the townsfolk you take with you to raid the enemy camps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDQ9SJHs7_4

5/5 Birdshit-Water Enemas

Robinson's Requiem & Deus (MS-DOS)
Released: 1994 & 1996 resp
Price: $6

Robinson's Requiem and Deus (to some extent)are sci-fi wilderness survival games. They have a complex interface complete with surgery system. Your hunger, thirst, and stamina all need to be closely monitored to survive the elements. One of my favorite parts of Requiem involves the damage system, eagles can pluck your eyes out, you can lose limbs, etc. Overall a very satisfying experience if you can get over the numerous bugs. You can get them from GOG here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RllFvqrMlcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYL14fwp_kc

Day One: Garry's Incident (PC)
Released: 2013
Price: Should be free

I don't know what the gently caress, better to just watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27nqqn2jbhY

Haven & Hearth (PC)
Released: 2008
Price: Free

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v72vZb2FL5M

The Forest (PC)
Released: 2014
Price: $15 USD

The Forest is basically The Descent: The Game, all the usual survival aspects are there with the only real danger being some cannibalistic natives. Has some definite potential

3/5 Birdshit-Water Enemas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qTtVMM3uqQ

Wayward (PC)
Released: 2014?
Price: Freeware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDfbA-O2ydw

Wolf & Lion (PC)
Released: 1994/1995

Goon thoughts:

TresTristesTigres posted:

Wolf was an amazing concept for a game but the fun wore off quickly. It's very educational, but since it is Trying To Make A Point you are constantly getting murked by wandering hunters or machinegunned from helicopters. I believe one of the developers was also a gay furry since their self-insert wolf character could mate with other dude wolfs and have puppies. The graphics were ok and the music was very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EKY950LloY

Frontiers (PC)
Released: Not yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB5DvDOOvAY

Stranded 1 & 2 (PC)
Released: 2003 & 2007

Wikipedia posted:

The game has no campaign mode, but its "random island" mode is wrapped up in a story where the player is stranded on an abandoned island. Resource management is a vital component of gameplay, since the player character has a constant need for food and water, and has to sleep. The game features a day and night cycle. Sleeping in the open injures the player, unprocessed food is not very effective against hunger and aggressive animals threaten the player. So the player is forced to gather resources like branches, stones and vines to construct tools, buildings and weapons. Each building that is finished will unlock another, more sophisticated building, until the player is able to build a raft to escape from the island and reach his homeland.

The terrain in the game is completely modifiable.

There are also some mini-missions such as rescuing kiwi birds or fighting off a pack of blood-thirsty raptors under a time limit. Such custom maps can be created with the built-in map editor. Several of these fan-made maps can be downloaded from the Stranded home page. Although there are some limited settings, such as turning off the need for food, water and sleep, any way of story-telling is limited to a single briefing message after the map has started and creative terrain design.

NEO Scavenger (PC)
Released: 2003 & 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should consider adding NEO Scavenger to that list, its a Post-Apoc survival game that pretty much fits this style. Here is the SA thread for it. The dev (its a solo project) is a pretty cool guy and has an SA account and posts in the thread occasionally.

Its an early access game, but he puts out content at a good pace. Steam Page

Wilderness: A Survival Adventure

Wikipedia posted:

The player must keep track of hunger, thirst, and fatigue temperature in addition to Health; given as a percentage. This require the accomplishment of "every day" tasks such as eating, drinking, and sleeping, as well as hunting, cooking, gathering, and finding a place to rest.

Another important aspect of the game is the item-crafting system. Many are useful, but absent. However, the game allows the player to create tools, weapons, and other items to assist in the player character's survival. for example, to use a splint, required if you sustain an injury, you must have/acquire rope and a stick

Many of the items, such as kindling, and arrows, degrade overtime and ultimately break, making the building of additional items necessary. Foods, such as meats, can go rotten in just an in-game day, but there are some which will not, due to being preserved

The game features a non-linear structure, giving the player the freedom to progress through the game without specific goals in mind beyond attaining the basic necessities of survival.

Echo of the Wilds

Echo of the Wilds is a 2D pixel-art Survival game, the game even controls like an old 80's Sierra game, which sucks but the graphics are gorgeous. You can buy it for $5 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct98Re4zhCY

Survival: The Ultimate Challenge

I haven't had the pleasure of playing this just yet but from watching some video it is like if the Sims got lost on an island. The graphics are pretty charming looking and it'll definitely run on your laptop. This game was released in 2000 and is probably made by a Russian sweatshop.

Eidolon

Developer: Ice Water Games
Release: 2014, Steam

StarkRavingMad posted:

Eidolon probably fits on this list as well. Although it's kind of a soothing exploration game for the most part, you do have to forage for food and you can die of starvation, cold, sickness, etc. Not super-difficult by any means. Giant Bomb did a quick look just today, you can find it here.

Miasmata

Developer: IonFX
Release: 2013, Steam, GOG

StarkRavingMad posted:

Miasmata also belongs here. Exploration and survival, while fighting off and trying to find a cure for a mysterious sickness, and contenting with a large unknown monster out in the wilderness. Giant Bomb quick look here.

IonFX posted:

About the Game:

Miasmata is a first-person survival adventure game, independently developed by brothers Joe and Bob Johnson.

The Story:

You play as Robert Hughes, a plague-stricken scientist on a journey to discover a cure. Your adventure begins on the shores of a remote island called Eden. Long ago, Eden was inhabited by a group of indigenous people, whose extant monuments still decorate the island landscape.

Eden is now home to a scientific research outpost, and it is your hope to reunite with your colleagues working there. Unfortunately, you'll soon discover that something has gone terribly wrong.

The Gameplay:

Miasmata is a game of survival, exploration and discovery. Our goal was to create gameplay that challenged convention. We wanted an immersive experience that gives the player the freedom to discover the world at his/her own pace and in his own way.

During his adventure, the player will encounter a mysterious and deadly creature. This creature can stalk the player for miles, lurking behind grasses and vegetative cover. By treading carefully and quietly, the player may be able to elude the creature. If he's careless, however, the player will be forced to confront the creature head-on.

The island of Eden is filled with dozens of plants and fungi, many of which have unique medicinal properties. Some of these plants hold the secret to curing the plague, so the player must harvest them and run lab experiments to determine their worth.

Exploration is a key component to Miasmata, so we developed an interesting cartography system. The player can use landmarks, such as ruins and statues, to triangulate his location and construct a map of Eden's boundaries and contours.

Biosys
Developer: Jumpstart Interactive
Release: February 1999
Genre: Point & Click, FPP, Adventure

Demiurge4 posted:

Biosys was a pretty cool game.

You were a scientist with amnesia trying to survive in the biodome he built on a remote mountain. There was some sort of accident involving biodome 4 which was being constructed as a tourist resort and was completely dead and polluted. You had to open this dome to the rest of the system and distribute the smog and pollution to the other domes without killing them so you could revitalize the systems and escape.

Let's talk about Survival games!

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Survival games are the best, it's too bad that almost no one makes them I've had to make do with the same games for years.
Stranded 1 & 2 are classic island survival games, and Stranded 2 now has a multiplayer mod although I haven't tested it. Stranded 3 is in the works with official multiplayer using Unity 3D but who knows how long that could take.

There's also Salem by the same guys who made Haven & Hearth, but someone else has taken control of the project and is apparently fixing the issues left by the Haven devs. Given a bit it might actually be worth playing. Also that first picture for Haven is a mockup of Haven 2 or something that might never come out.

Don't Starve and Wurmonline would fit pretty well on your list.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Stranded 2 is certainly a thing. Old and lovely looking, but there isn't many of these types of games that aren't.

Also the Warcraft 3 wilderness survival mods were the best poo poo.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Would also mention the Lost in Blue series for NDS, had some fun with the first one when it came out and they made sequels after my NDS broke.

To build a fire you tapped L and R fast to simulate spinning a stick and then blew in the microphone to get the ember to catch flame. Good times.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You should consider adding NEO Scavenger to that list, its a Post-Apoc survival game that pretty much fits this style. Here is the SA thread for it. The dev (its a solo project) is a pretty cool guy and has an SA account and posts in the thread occasionally.

Its an early access game, but he puts out content at a good pace. Steam Page

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012
Lion was one of my favorite games as a kid. I still have the disc for it and played it again a year or so ago; there isn't all that much to it, but I remember playing for hours when I was young. But it did have some neat scenario/quest things ("hunt a thing", "survive while recovering from injury", "escape from poachers", etc) which I don't think Wolf had. Wolf is the older of the two, and all I remember about that one is I got killed by helicopters a lot? And could never hunt anything but the occasional beaver so I never really had fun with it.

I think there was a similar game from that same time frame that was made by the Discovery Channel or something.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Thanks for all the suggestions, guess there are more out there than I thought. Also Neo Scavenger looks pretty neat, but I just spent too much money on The Forest and Planet Explorers so it'll have to wait a week. Will add all these games to the OP tomorrow.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Delamore posted:

Don't Starve and Wurmonline would fit pretty well on your list.

Cataclysm is a notable recent one, and Dwarf Fortress could arguably classify since I'd say a survival game is defined by time pressures, resource scarcity, and exploration as major game elements. The recent generation of survival games tends to focus more on crafting and building that older stuff like Robinson's Requiem.

It would be nice to see at least brief reviews for the posted titles when possible, because a lot of them are old/obscure and poo poo and it's almost impossible to find reliable reviews for those.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

The Insect Court posted:

It would be nice to see at least brief reviews for the posted titles when possible, because a lot of them are old/obscure and poo poo and it's almost impossible to find reliable reviews for those.

I didn't really want to post arbitrary reviews and only posted reviews for RR & Deus because I've played those games a bit, if some goons have any stories they'd like to share about any kind of survival games they might have played. I really just wanted to get this thread going because the genre is like a unicorn. Hopefully with some of my PTO this week I'll get some play time on some of these games and get some personal thoughts posted.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
I played two of these games.

Unreal World is like a mix between Harvest Moon and the adventure mode of Dwarf Fortress. It's challenging at first to make a character that can survive very long, but rewarding once you do. For me, the key is being able to drop a large elk/deer/bear within the first couple of weeks and living long enough to smoke the meat and bury it - if you can do that, you probably have enough food to survive the first winter and can focus on trading for clothes and armor in the coastal cultures that have shops. I recommend creating a hulking character (because equipment plus a full suit of iron armor is heavy) who is good with a bow. I also recommend keeping close track of where your dogs are in combat or you will accidentally hit them with an arrow and then feel bad in real life. Finally, keep a good stock of captured Njerpez weapons so you can arm the townsfolk you take with you to raid the enemy camps.

Wolf was an amazing concept for a game but the fun wore off quickly. It's very educational, but since it is Trying To Make A Point you are constantly getting murked by wandering hunters or machinegunned from helicopters. I believe one of the developers was also a gay furry since their self-insert wolf character could mate with other dude wolfs and have puppies. The graphics were ok and the music was very good.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Eidolon probably fits on this list as well. Although it's kind of a soothing exploration game for the most part, you do have to forage for food and you can die of starvation, cold, sickness, etc. Not super-difficult by any means. Giant Bomb did a quick look just today, you can find it here.

Miasmata also belongs here. Exploration and survival, while fighting off and trying to find a cure for a mysterious sickness, and contenting with a large unknown monster out in the wilderness. Giant Bomb quick look here.

And maybe it's not worth putting on the list since everyone knows about it already, but Minecraft in survival mode is probably one of these. I love these type of games, I've played nearly every one that's been mentioned in the thread. Maybe it's because I do a lot of hiking and backpacking for real as well!

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Found an old obscure survival game eponymously called Wilderness: A Survival Adventure, haven't played it yet.

Wikipedia posted:

The player must keep track of hunger, thirst, and fatigue temperature in addition to Health; given as a percentage. This require the accomplishment of "every day" tasks such as eating, drinking, and sleeping, as well as hunting, cooking, gathering, and finding a place to rest.

Another important aspect of the game is the item-crafting system. Many are useful, but absent. However, the game allows the player to create tools, weapons, and other items to assist in the player character's survival. for example, to use a splint, required if you sustain an injury, you must have/acquire rope and a stick

Many of the items, such as kindling, and arrows, degrade overtime and ultimately break, making the building of additional items necessary. Foods, such as meats, can go rotten in just an in-game day, but there are some which will not, due to being preserved

The game features a non-linear structure, giving the player the freedom to progress through the game without specific goals in mind beyond attaining the basic necessities of survival.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Toadsniff posted:

Found an old obscure survival game eponymously called Wilderness: A Survival Adventure, haven't played it yet.

I played this game. It's super in depth and you can navigate by the stars! It's also old as poo poo and you will need the survival guide manual to do much of anything.

Still my absolute go-to when the Survivorman marathons end. Be prepared for a frustrating interface and getting nothing done! I mean if you really put the time in it CAN be rewarding I guess, I just had hoped in 2014 we'd see something build on this depth and be a lot more accessible.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Echo of the Wilds

Echo of the Wilds is a 2D pixel-art Survival game, the game even controls like an old 80's Sierra game, which sucks but the graphics are gorgeous. You can buy it for $5 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct98Re4zhCY

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

There is a new game being kickstarted called Kôna - A Survival Adventure Game, it bills itself as a murder mystery survival game set on Hoth. Check it out.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Couldn't The Long Dark be considered a Survival Simulation game? It's a survival game based around surviving the northern wildness with a fancy art style that looks like something from XIII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcdT1fQQuwY

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Extreme0 posted:

Couldn't The Long Dark be considered a Survival Simulation game? It's a survival game based around surviving the northern wildness with a fancy art style that looks like something from XIII.

Wow that art aesthetic looks really good. Looks like it is only a month away from release too.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Extreme0 posted:

Giant Bomb took a look at it here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfinished-the-long-dark-08-08-2014/2300-9316/

Definitely fits the survival game mold.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Has anyone here had a good stab at The Forest? I have to say it looks excellent so far, but with no thread here (that I have found yet) I lack the input necessary to overcome my resistance to the idea of buying into yet another early-access game.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

The Snark posted:

Has anyone here had a good stab at The Forest? I have to say it looks excellent so far, but with no thread here (that I have found yet) I lack the input necessary to overcome my resistance to the idea of buying into yet another early-access game.

I've put a few good hours into it, it is pretty awesome if you like wilderness survival with a little mix of horror. There is a peaceful mode so you can craft and camp in safety but the real fun is trying to survive the cold nights while evading night patrols of crazed cannibals. The cannibals have some pretty decent AI when it comes to aggression and some enemies will act more timid/aggressive/coordinated than others. The game is still really early alpha and there are some major glitches and game-breaking bugs (traps can't be reset yet, constructions can't be deconstructed yet, etc). It is definitely worth the $15 if you want to be Les Stroud Cannibal Fighter.

Check out this page on the wiki for more info on bugs/glitches

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 21, 2014

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

one young pup's ultimate struggle

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Thank you. I think I may have to wait for it to be fleshed out a bit more still... but will keep watching it carefully. Next time it goes on some grave sale I might crack.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Found another gem that got lost in the bargain bin 14 years ago, wonder how many of you have played this one?

I haven't had the pleasure of playing this just yet but from watching some video it is like if the Sims got lost on an island. The graphics are pretty charming looking and it'll definitely run on your laptop. This game was released in 2000 and is probably made by a Russian sweatshop.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

I can't believe you left Don't Starve off the list.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I can't believe you left Don't Starve off the list.

You know I've been meaning to put it on there but get side tracked, I will put it up this afternoon I swear! As well as some others people have mentioned like Eidolon and Cataclysm (the latter of which I just recently played, it is not easy).

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!

The Snark posted:

There's a thread here.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Wow I had no idea there was a thread (partly because the forums were broken). Strange given how popular the game is people sure don't like talking about it much.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Added Don't Starve, Miasmata and Eidolon to the list.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
You've got the wolf blurb under the unreal world bit, please don't slander my iron age finnish bros. Enormous Elk, who develop URW are pretty drat badass, and the game is highly educational. It also features excellent combat mechanics that should be stolen by any and every RPG imo.

buckets of buckets fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 22, 2014

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Bitter Mushroom posted:

You've got the wolf blurb under the unreal world bit, please don't slander my iron age finnish bros. Enormous Elk, who develop URW are pretty drat badass, and the game is highly educational. It also features excellent combat mechanics that should be stolen my any and every RPG imo.

Thanks for the heads up! I wanted to give URW a go but it looks rather cumbersome, but then again I can play Dwarf Fortress without key references so it probably wouldn't be that difficult to learn. I'll probably give it a shot this weekend.

e: also the pictures of dudes larping in ancient Finland is awesome

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Toadsniff posted:

e: also the pictures of dudes larping in ancient Finland is awesome

now in HD!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Thanks for the Forest thread link. Must have been well lost deep in the forum- or I just kept missing it repeatedly.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bitter Mushroom posted:

You've got the wolf blurb under the unreal world bit, please don't slander my iron age finnish bros. Enormous Elk, who develop URW are pretty drat badass, and the game is highly educational. It also features excellent combat mechanics that should be stolen by any and every RPG imo.

Last time I played it I found combat really...missy. As in everyone missed constantly. Deadly, but kinda slow because it took so long for a real hit to happen.

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto
Which is why you always go for the legs first. Knock your opponent down, then bash his head in.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Toadsniff posted:

It was a bit like the Sims. It was okay at first but you always ended up doing the same things every scenario. Like the Sims, I enjoyed it most when turning into it a murder simulator. It was terrible and I loved it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I don't have any screenshots off hand, but the Survival Kids/Lost in Blue series fits in here. Mostly on handhelds, and done by Konami. Survival Kids is on the Gameboy Color, Lost in Blue 1-3 on the DS, and Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked on the Wii.

They're each about a kid(s), or teenager/young adult(s), getting shipwrecked on an island, and having to gather food and supplies to survive, while also working to find a way off. Sometimes you turn out to not be alone on the island, but in at least one case the other people are more detrimental to your survival than helpful.

Gameplay generally has you walking around gather the necessary supplies, while keeping an eye on your hunger, rest, and thirst meters, and those of any companions. You can combine items to make tools and the like, such as a bow or cooking supplies. You end up having to work hard at keeping yourself alive in the beginning, until you start getting the ability to find or make more filling foods, build shelter, and all that sort of stuff.

I've not played LiB 3, or Shipwrecked, but the first three games are pretty good at scratching the survival game itch.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I don't have any screenshots off hand, but the Survival Kids/Lost in Blue series fits in here. Mostly on handhelds, and done by Konami. Survival Kids is on the Gameboy Color, Lost in Blue 1-3 on the DS, and Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked on the Wii.

They're each about a kid(s), or teenager/young adult(s), getting shipwrecked on an island, and having to gather food and supplies to survive, while also working to find a way off. Sometimes you turn out to not be alone on the island, but in at least one case the other people are more detrimental to your survival than helpful.

Gameplay generally has you walking around gather the necessary supplies, while keeping an eye on your hunger, rest, and thirst meters, and those of any companions. You can combine items to make tools and the like, such as a bow or cooking supplies. You end up having to work hard at keeping yourself alive in the beginning, until you start getting the ability to find or make more filling foods, build shelter, and all that sort of stuff.

I've not played LiB 3, or Shipwrecked, but the first three games are pretty good at scratching the survival game itch.

I loved survival kids. I'm phone posting so I can't provide much on it, but I highly recommend it. So much goodness in such tiny space!

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A neat simple one from back in the day is Schiffbruch

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I am going to chime in and say Unreal World is amazing. It looks simple but it is really complex.

And I'm not biased or anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

So I've stumbled upon a game currently sitting in Steam Greenlight called Forsaken Isle, it is basically Minecraft but more focus on the survival and no real digging but a lot of crafting. It is pretty minimal right now and there is no music and the SFX are directly ripped from Minecraft but hey, check it out, it only cost me $5 here.

I recorded a short video for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8h_nGkuRIY

Toadsniff fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 26, 2014