Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So I started replaying FFVIII today. I was going for 100 pts in each of the SeeD rank categories. I managed it except for one. Judgment which is the one based on how much time is left when you beat Ifrit in the Fire Cave. to get 100 pts you have to finish with 0:00-0:07 time on the clock. I learned that if it hits zero after you beat him and he said he would join you, instant game over, but if it hits zero while his is say he will join you, no game over. BUT, when I got to the end (after grinding 75+ enemies for Attack and getting back to the beach before 25:00 on the escape clock while only escaping once) I found out my Judgment score was 0 pts. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Ineffiable posted:

Final Fantasy sale on PSN. All of them are half off except lightning returns.

Hmm, so is the PS One Classic version of FF2 as bad as the original is supposed to be? Dunno if I want to spend $5 on The Worst Game In The Series.

And I guess there's still no way to play FF3 on the PS3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Hmm, so is the PS One Classic version of FF2 as bad as the original is supposed to be? Dunno if I want to spend $5 on The Worst Game In The Series.

And I guess there's still no way to play FF3 on the PS3.

It's improved a little but still lovely. Don't bother with it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I think I am done with Bravely Default for at least the time being. I spent a little bit of time foolishly trying to grind out those dragons at the end of Chapter 4 before just saying "eh" and moving on. Questions about Chapter 5: How hard do they go on the repeat stuff? All I've done is return to the pit in the ground so far. Am I really gonna have basically replay the entire game again with an enemy boost and all the jobs available to me? I've spent about 40 hours to get to this point with some faffing around in Ch. 4 to experiment with some of the newer classes I found. If I just try to push through the next stuff at fast as possible, how much time is left?

I really love the systems in place but I feel like the game has kind of overstayed its welcome. I would still absolutely play a sequel though, I have totally enjoyed the game.

Also, don't try to grind the dragons. 4 Ninjas with Utsutsemi and some with Templar's Rampart if you want insurance.

Enjoy being invincible during the fight,

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's improved a little but still lovely. Don't bother with it.

Good to know. On the other hand, Front Mission 3 for $3 may be a good investment...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Good to know. On the other hand, Front Mission 3 for $3 may be a good investment...

Just buy it and surf the digital internet until you get virtually banned.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Had something interesting just show up in my inbox. Square Enix is holding a contest to celebrate Theatrhythm Current Call's impending release. Click here for details.

For those too lazy to click, basically they want you to submit a video of yourself humming, whistling, singing, or playing the Main Theme of Final Fantasy on the instrument of your choice. Entries will be judged by none other than Nobuo Uematsu himself.

Grand Prize winner will receive:
  • A round trip for two to an upcoming Distant Worlds concert
  • A Japanese Limited Edition THEATRHTYHM FINAL FANTASY CURTAIN CALL Nintendo 3DS LL
  • The official soundtracks for Final Fantasies I-XIV
  • A Theatrhythm Curtain Call Collector's Edition signed by Nobuo Uematsu
  • One Final Fantasy Static Arts mini figure

One Runner-up will also receive the signed collector's edition, the 14 soundtracks, and the figure.

Ten third place winners will receive the signed collector's edition.

If that's enough to grab your interest, click here for the rules and whatnot.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

W.T. Fits posted:

For those too lazy to click, basically they want you to submit a video of yourself humming, whistling, singing, or playing the Main Theme of Final Fantasy on the instrument of your choice. Entries will be judged by none other than Nobuo Uematsu himself.
Man, if only I had any talent! Those prizes are sweet.

e: wow, the 3DS looks really really nice from the picture:

Are they releasing those in bundles in Japan too?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Also, don't try to grind the dragons. 4 Ninjas with Utsutsemi and some with Templar's Rampart if you want insurance.

Enjoy being invincible during the fight,

Ninjas are kinda broken so I didn't want to just outright cheese the fights, not as fun as trying out different job combos. I'll just finish them later in the game.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

W.T. Fits posted:

What a pity that I haven't touched my clarinet in almost a decade. I wouldn't want to send a video of what a travesty my play would be right now to Nobuo. :(

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I could never hope to win but that is a really neat set of prizes. Looking way too forward to an improved version of a game I already beat to death that is just about video game music.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Kyrosiris posted:

What a pity that I haven't touched my clarinet in almost a decade. I wouldn't want to send a video of what a travesty my play would be right now to Nobuo. :(

Without a doubt there will be countless terrible videos entered into this. There will be some embarrassing Kingdom Hearts cosplay whistling the FF theme off-key with sparkle effects and smash cuts, so no matter your skill level you'll feel good about yourself.

Watch Dale North's example if you want to be simultaneously motivated and discouraged from entering.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm pretty sure quirky and endearing would be more important than actual talent. There are a lot of loving fantastic musicians interested in and currently covering game music that could blow us all out of the water. Sing the main theme to your dog who's dressed like a Chocobo or something.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

BloodWulfe posted:

Without a doubt there will be countless terrible videos entered into this. There will be some embarrassing Kingdom Hearts cosplay whistling the FF theme off-key with sparkle effects and smash cuts, so no matter your skill level you'll feel good about yourself.

Watch Dale North's example if you want to be simultaneously motivated and discouraged from entering.

You have completely turned me off to even the remotest idea of entering this competition with both parts of your post. If I never see another anime dress up it'll be too soon.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I think you'd have to be pretty badass at humming to win that over someone playing the theme really well on an instrument.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

I think you'd have to be pretty badass at humming to win that over someone playing the theme really well on an instrument.

Or do something creative to recreate the theme, like slamming different sized rocks against your hollow skull.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The way to win is to play the theme on Tifa's piano in FFVII

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Dragon- I mean 'Dargon' Quest IV is coming to iOS tonight.

No, seriously. They misspelled the name and you can't properly search for it with its real name.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/dargon-quest-iv/id847381935?mt=8

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Sunning posted:

Dragon- I mean 'Dargon' Quest IV is coming to iOS tonight.

No, seriously. They misspelled the name and you can't properly search for it with its real name.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/dargon-quest-iv/id847381935?mt=8

I can't think of a situation where :lol: is more appropriate. How do you gently caress that up?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

RadicalR posted:

I can't think of a situation where :lol: is more appropriate. How do you gently caress that up?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This kind of thing happens all the time.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Always always always follow your game release checklist which should have 'spellcheck game's actual name' close to the top.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Wait. Hold up. You're telling me this isn't the 4th iteration of the adventures of the legendary hero Dargon, and is in fact more dumb poo poo about dragons or whatever?

I can't handle this revelaiton. I guess Square Enix has betrayed me once again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This reminds me of good old Resident Evil Revelaitons.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Beef Waifu posted:

This kind of thing happens all the time.

I really enjoyed the Okami Wii release with an IGN watermark slapped on the cover art.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I picked up FF9 again after doing other things and I'm now at Pandemonium and the fights are incredibly annoying and every time the screen transition happens I lose more and more interest in continuing on.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

BloodWulfe posted:

I really enjoyed the Okami Wii release with an IGN watermark slapped on the cover art.

For those that have never seen it:

Full box art:

Detail:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
That is amazing. That is truly the Waldo of packaging blunders.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I ended up buying FF9 for PS3 since it's on sale for 5 bux. Should I get FF10 too($20)? For reference, I've never beaten a FF game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eschatos posted:

I ended up buying FF9 for PS3 since it's on sale for 5 bux. Should I get FF10 too($20)? For reference, I've never beaten a FF game.

FF10 is very linear but has a faced-paced and fun combat system. However it is also the first FF game with voice acting and it really shows. They have good actors but the direction is very awkward and the cutscenes are very long and unskippable. It's worth playing though, although if you've never finished one you probably won't finish X.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Lessail posted:

I picked up FF9 again after doing other things and I'm now at Pandemonium and the fights are incredibly annoying and every time the screen transition happens I lose more and more interest in continuing on.

I remember being able to trivialize most of the fights there with just Vivi casting Death. Do you have that available? There's not much further to the end of the game after Pandemonium, by the way.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

maou shoujo posted:

I remember being able to trivialize most of the fights there with just Vivi casting Death. Do you have that available? There's not much further to the end of the game after Pandemonium, by the way.

I'm on the fourth disc now. I was just fed up with the combo of all the virus attacks plus those little ball things that seemed to always counter with delta attack for an instant kill.

edit: I've made sure to get reflectx2 and curaga so I suppose I'm set for the end.

Lessail fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 7, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Remember to equip Reflect-Null on your healers :v:

You do kind of have to watch out for the Movers, but 1) they're not too bad if you can one-shot them (which isn't unreasonable to expect at that point in the game) and 2) that's the only place in the game they'll appear. Keep in mind that the enemies in the final area tend to have a lot more than 9999 HP, but if you ain't deal with that poo poo they're also vulnerable to instant death-type status effects like Heat and Freeze, which only Quina can actually inflict.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

A lot of stuff is vulnerable to Petrify, which you can inflict with 100% accuracy using Zidane's Soul Blade skill + the Sargatanas weapon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Eschatos posted:

X is the more enjoyable of two probably, because 9 is very much a nostalgia-bait style game. If you've never played an FF before you're not going to have a hankering for the old school, whereas X is just a good game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

X is the more enjoyable of two probably, because 9 is very much a nostalgia-bait style game. If you've never played an FF before you're not going to have a hankering for the old school, whereas X is just a good game.

Yeah, almost every FF is a fantastic title to begin with. Most people's first was 4, 6, 7, or 10. 9 may not be the best introductory title but it is quite easy (they all are except Tactics).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
9 is probably the least easy because they do the most splitting up and solo boss battles, in a game that is all about super specialization characters. Most other FF's you can get by optimizing the gear when the game splits your stuff.

10 is basically carried by Yuna at a point when you just spam her Aeon's overdrive to beat most bosses.

Galeboomer
Dec 6, 2011
So since it's half off and I apparently wanna load up my Vita with more Final Fantasy than I can take, how's Dissidia Duodecim? All I really know of the Dissidia games is that it's kinda a Final Fantasy Smash Bros., but the premise sounds fun. What's the general thought on it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dissidia is.. weird. I kinda like it, but at the same time I hate it. Why is there grinding in a fighting game? If you ever played DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi it's kiiiind of like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Galeboomer posted:

So since it's half off and I apparently wanna load up my Vita with more Final Fantasy than I can take, how's Dissidia Duodecim? All I really know of the Dissidia games is that it's kinda a Final Fantasy Smash Bros., but the premise sounds fun. What's the general thought on it?

Personally I really like it, the combat system is a lot of fun and there's plenty of stuff to dink around with in your spare time. Fair warning: Lightning's arguably the protagonist of the Dissidia Duodecim storyline, once you get to the original Dissidia storyline it's a bit more balanced, leaning towards the Warrior of Light as the central character, but who really cares about the story. You can have Gilgamesh beat the poo poo out of Sephiroth or Cloud or whoever really annoys you in the franchise. Overall it's a great game, especially for :10bux: