Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure he does only say I am Groot in that as it was in Conquest that he "died" and returned with that trait.

Oh right, I thought that GotG book launched in between Annihilation and Conquest.

BadAstronaut posted:

Going to watch it on Thursday, wanted some background before then, not scared of spending $20-30 if you guys can suggest something I can plough through before then so I can go into the movie a little more than blind? (So far my experience with Guardians of the Galaxy is playing a bit of Rocket Raccoon in Marvel vs Capcom 3).

If you want background, read the Nova series that launches with Annihilation as well as a bunch of that stuff is in the movie too.

I mean you don't really need background since the movie is an origin story and changes some characters backstories but I assume you mean you want to be able to appreciate and compare and contrast the books and the movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Yeah, just be able to take more away that would come with being at least a little familiar with the comics and the background...

This bundle?
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy/bundle/32

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

BadAstronaut posted:

Yeah, just be able to take more away that would come with being at least a little familiar with the comics and the background...

This bundle?
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy/bundle/32

Yes that's the run you want and basically what the film copies for inspiration.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks - one more thing, does that include the content in my first link?
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-1-Legacy/digital-comic/28071

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks - one more thing, does that include the content in my first link?
https://www.comixology.co.uk/Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-1-Legacy/digital-comic/28071
This is GotG #1-6. Your first link is GotG #1-25.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This is my first link :)

I'm curious if the bundle #1-25 incorporates all of the other link's content? Ie, the 1-6 in the other is the first 6 in this 25 bundle?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

BadAstronaut posted:

This is my first link :)

I'm curious if the bundle #1-25 incorporates all of the other link's content? Ie, the 1-6 in the other is the first 6 in this 25 bundle?

Yes. It's all the same series.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

BadAstronaut posted:

Going to watch it on Thursday, wanted some background before then, not scared of spending $20-30 if you guys can suggest something I can plough through before then so I can go into the movie a little more than blind? (So far my experience with Guardians of the Galaxy is playing a bit of Rocket Raccoon in Marvel vs Capcom 3).

I honestly don't think you need any sort of background for the movie (seeing it tonight), but you will end up reading some good comics if you choose to!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here is the background you need:

It is a Marvel Studios movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Welcome to BSS, where we are apparently trying to talk people out of reading comics now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

Welcome to BSS, where we are apparently trying to talk people out of reading comics now.

There's a difference between the background you need and the background you might want. Or should want.

Is Vance Astrovik in the movie?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

There's a difference between the background you need and the background you might want. Or should want.

Is Vance Astrovik in the movie?

Nope

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

No one is trying to talk him out of reading comics, just saying that you don't NEED to read any to understand a movie.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Endless Mike posted:

No one is trying to talk him out of reading comics, just saying that you don't NEED to read any to understand a movie.

Exactly. Most non comic readers think things are too confusing as it is, there's no need to full on dump a million books at someones feet straight away.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The bundle is nice, but it's not too-great a deal. I think it's somehow cheaper to get the trades of GoG on comixology.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

lifg posted:

The bundle is nice, but it's not too-great a deal. I think it's somehow cheaper to get the trades of GoG on comixology.

Really? The bundle is 22.99 right now, and the trades are 3.99, 10.99, 12.99, and 10.99

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

bobkatt013 posted:

Really? The bundle is 22.99 right now, and the trades are 3.99, 10.99, 12.99, and 10.99

Oops, you're right. I was basing my guess on the price of just the first trade, which is the only one on sale.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am reading the archives of Hip Hop Family Tree, and I really dig it. Is there anything in the printed book(s) that you can't find online? I am wondering if I will be missing by reading the website for the time being.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Of course - hahaha oh SA forums, you are amazing. "Need" in order to understand was never mentioned.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BadAstronaut posted:

Of course - hahaha oh SA forums, you are amazing. "Need" in order to understand was never mentioned.

It was, just not by you.

Soonmot posted:

I honestly don't think you need any sort of background for the movie (seeing it tonight), but you will end up reading some good comics if you choose to!

Endless Mike posted:

Here is the background you need:

It is a Marvel Studios movie.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

One says you don't need any, and one is a joke..? :confused:

Anyway, gonna get me that collection on Comixology - thanks for the suggestion, guys.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BadAstronaut posted:

One says you don't need any, and one is a joke..? :confused:

Because "need" was mentioned, that's what people started arguing about. Even a joke can get a fight started on the Internet.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

There is no thing that can not start a fight on the Internet...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BadAstronaut posted:

Shut up, you!

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Post reported

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

BadAstronaut posted:

The internet is where I go to for civil discussion about stupid comic books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

The internet is where I go to for civil discussion about stupid comic books.

Your mother is a civil discussion about stupid comic books.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Your mother is a civil discussion about stupid comic books.

So's your old man.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I was reading Ellis's run on Secret Avengers and there's a part where Black Widow questions why Moon Knight is on the team, and Sharon Carter says that Cap (then Director of SHIELD) trusts him. Where and how did Cap and Moon Knight become friends?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'd also just generally like to know more about Moon Knight. What should I read? How was Bendis's run?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unmature posted:

I'd also just generally like to know more about Moon Knight. What should I read? How was Bendis's run?

Bendis' run was bad and forgettable. Get pretty much any other run. The Huston/Finch run from 2006 is a great place to start, really.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Hustons run was great, Finches run was okay, Bendis shat the bed entirely*. The current run with Ellis seems pretty good so far, we can only hope that Ellis doesnt get bored and wander off before finishing it though. If you like those you can check out some of the older runs (although he has a really schizophrenic character history, hence the modern version of the character to try and explain all the different interpretations through the years).

*In the interests of balance I should maybe mention that I love Powers and liked Alias, but think pretty much everything else that I've read of Bendis has varied in quality between "okay" and "terrible tone-deaf self important poo poo with no regard for previous characterisation". Hes good when writing his own stuff but I dont think he plays well with other peoples toys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ellis is finished already.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SiKboy posted:

The current run with Ellis seems pretty good so far, we can only hope that Ellis doesn't get bored and wander off before finishing it though.
Post of the day.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Lurdiak posted:

Bendis' run was bad and forgettable. Get pretty much any other run. The Huston/Finch run from 2006 is a great place to start, really.

I quite liked the Bendis/Maleev run, the run to really avoid is Hurwitz's Vengeance of the Moon Knight.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Ellis is finished already.

But it was apparently always supposed to be just 6 issues, they didn't tell anyone that until it was almost up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

But it was apparently always supposed to be just 6 issues, they didn't tell anyone that until it was almost up.

And it actually wouldn't have mattered if he left earlier since there was no arc.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Hustons run was great, Finches run was okay, Bendis shat the bed entirely*. The current run with Ellis seems pretty good so far, we can only hope that Ellis doesnt get bored and wander off before finishing it though. If you like those you can check out some of the older runs (although he has a really schizophrenic character history, hence the modern version of the character to try and explain all the different interpretations through the years).

*In the interests of balance I should maybe mention that I love Powers and liked Alias, but think pretty much everything else that I've read of Bendis has varied in quality between "okay" and "terrible tone-deaf self important poo poo with no regard for previous characterisation". Hes good when writing his own stuff but I dont think he plays well with other peoples toys.

What about Daredevil?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

And it actually wouldn't have mattered if he left earlier since there was no arc.

No but it does set up the new status quo for Moon Knight. New costume, no partners and even crazier than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

bobkatt013 posted:

What about Daredevil?

I have to admit, i havent read much of his Daredevil. I have heard good things, but that was from someone who enjoyed his avengers run, so I didnt pay much attention. Its a character I'm not particularly fond of eing written by a writer I'm not a fan of, so I jst didnt read it.