Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Captain Postal posted:

The engines get crazy hot, but where it's painted it'd be fine. According to wiki, the canopy never got much above 300C, and everything aft would probably have been cooler without the adiabatic heating from the shockwave at the nose. Except the big loving engines.

edit:

This right here is what I think scared people about the MiG-25. We already knew what it took to make Mach 3 happen, and to think the Russians were capable of that would be a game changer. Of course, we know now differently...

e:

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Captain Postal posted:

The engines get crazy hot, but where it's painted it'd be fine. According to wiki, the canopy never got much above 300C, and everything aft would probably have been cooler without the adiabatic heating from the shockwave at the nose. Except the big loving engines.

edit:

Once again--this is my favorite thread in all of SA.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Postal posted:

edit:

It's fun that the hottest part of the airframe after the engines is the sharp little spar down the center of the canopy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

YF19pilot posted:

This right here is what I think scared people about the MiG-25. We already knew what it took to make Mach 3 happen, and to think the Russians were capable of that would be a game changer. Of course, we know now differently...

Lockheed: Alright we're gonna need perfectly engineered titanium honeycomb matrix for the structure, this is gonna take a few years just to get the engineering rights so the poo poo doesn't collapse once we finally manage to actually work it.

Mikoyan-Gurevich: gently caress it, make it out of steel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a bunch of great stories about the development of the SR-71 in I think Ben Rich's book. Things like buying the titanium from the Soviet Union through several layers of shell companies. Or discovering that the chlorine-containing tool cleaners they were using reacted explosively with the titanium when you'd mill it. Or that if you drop a sheet of titanium the size of a garage door while you're craning it around the shop, it shatters.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Fucknag posted:

Mikoyan-Gurevich: gently caress it, make it out of steel.

Not just steel, but TIG-welded stainless steel. There was a real fear among the pilots before first flight that the aircraft would shatter on landing, as the welded joints did not have the same flexibility as a riveted/bonded joint. Plus, it isn't exactly a secret that making long, clean welds in confined spaces, such as in an aircraft fuselage, is by no means a guaranteed thing.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

one of these things is not like the other (and is way sexier)

Sagebrush posted:

Or discovering that the chlorine-containing tool cleaners they were using reacted explosively with the titanium when you'd mill it.
Huh, wonder how many times it took them to learn that lesson? I really should grab that book.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

The MiG-25 is a pretty awesome plane, in a :jeb: kind of way. Heavy steel airframe fitted with fuckoff-huge engines that can zoom-climb up to 120,000 feet.

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 6, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Luneshot posted:

The MiG-25 is a pretty awesome plane, in a :jeb: kind of way. Heavy steel airframe fitted with fuckoff-huge engines that can zoom-climb up to 120km.

That'd be something like 393k feet; Wikipedia shows a ceiling of 80k feet for the RB model :spergin:

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

FrozenVent posted:

That'd be something like 393k feet; Wikipedia shows a ceiling of 80k feet for the RB model :spergin:

80k feet? How is the pilot not dead?

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yeaa...for reference, the CSXT team that was the first civilian rocket to break the edge of space like ten years ago only went to 116km. And if I remember that top gear episode correctly, even the U2 is only scraping 80k feet.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Bob A Feet posted:

80k feet? How is the pilot not dead?

MiG-25 and -31 pilots wear partial pressure suits, similar to what early U-2 pilots wore.

And as a side note, a heavily modified Ye-155R (the designation given to prototype and pre-production MiG-25s) the Ye-266M, zoom-climbed to an altitude of 123,530 feet in 1977...a record for air-breathing aircraft that still stands today.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Then you got the X-15's record at something like 350,000 feet.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Apparently FAI witnessed some fairly impressive Mig-25 records, but not 100,000m. 100,000ft though, yes. They used the MIg-25 prototypes for the tests stripped back, rather than fully loaded beasts.

wiki posted:

On 25 July 1973, A. Fedotov reached 35,230m with 1,000 kg payload, and 36,240 m with no load (an absolute world record).[14] In the thin air, the engines flamed out and the aircraft coasted on in a ballistic trajectory by inertia alone. At the apex the speed had dropped to 75 km/h.

A few years later, on 31 August 1977, "Ye-266M" flown by MiG OKB Chief Test Pilot Alexander V. Fedotov, set the recognized absolute altitude record for a jet aircraft under its own power.[15] He reached 37,650 metres (123,520 ft) at Podmoskovnoye, USSR in zoom climb (the absolute altitude record is different from the record for sustained altitude in horizontal flight)

The second one is on the FAI site.

More interesting is that a Mig-21 reach 34 714 m. That's 113,891 ft. Truly the best plane :ussr:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

StandardVC10 posted:

The Borderlands 2 thread is thataway.

Yeah I posted in the wrong tab. Dumb as hell.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Sanguine posted:

More interesting is that a Mig-21 reach 34 714 m. That's 113,891 ft. Truly the best plane :ussr:

:stare:

That's like finding out a Corolla can do 250 km/hr.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Joe Walker's 354,200 foot (unofficial) altitude record was broken by SpaceShipOne in 2004; they hit 367,450 feet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah holy gently caress. A -21 does not belong there.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

Well we know you can get to the moon on rockets. Air breathing engines? Not so much.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Well we know you can get to the moon on rockets. Air breathing engines? Not so much.

Well, that record was set before that was proven :colbert:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Altitutde records are fun:

wiki posted:

On June 21, 1972, Jean Boulet of France piloted an Aérospatiale Lama helicopter to an absolute altitude record of 12,442 metres (40,820 ft). At the extreme altitude the engine flamed out and the helicopter had to be (safely) landed via another record breaker — the longest successful autorotation in history. The helicopter had been stripped of all unnecessary equipment prior to the flight to minimize its weight and the pilot was breathing supplemental oxygen.

Also please note that the altitude record for a self-launched (ie ground takeoff) rocket plane is something like 10,000m lower than the Mig-21. Just think of what could be achieved by launching a -21 from a bear! :dance:

(yeah, I know it don't work that way, but I can dream).

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

MrChips posted:

Joe Walker's 354,200 foot (unofficial) altitude record was broken by SpaceShipOne in 2004; they hit 367,450 feet.

I was really hoping for something cooler than SpaceShipOne to break that record.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Apparently the XF4H-1 (F-4 prototype) zoom-climbed to 98,557ft as well back in 1959

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ehnus posted:

Apparently the XF4H-1 (F-4 prototype) zoom-climbed to 98,557ft as well back in 1959

Jesus. Those early American and Soviet jet pilots had some serious balls.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

ehnus posted:

...which was then beat the next week by a literal mile by a Starfighter with half the engine power. :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

MrChips posted:

MiG-25 and -31 pilots wear partial pressure suits, similar to what early U-2 pilots wore.

And as a side note, a heavily modified Ye-155R (the designation given to prototype and pre-production MiG-25s) the Ye-266M, zoom-climbed to an altitude of 123,530 feet in 1977...a record for air-breathing aircraft that still stands today.

What I read about the designations for record-breaking Soviet aircraft (because the MiG-25 wasn't the only airplane re-designated and used for record attempts in this way) was that they were deliberate obfuscations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

evil_bunnY posted:

Yeah holy gently caress. A -21 does not belong there.

What's funny is that, for whatever reason, I thought you guys were still talking about the Mig-25 for a number of those posts above yours that had set records and it took a sec to realize... no. Mig-21. The AK-47 of planes. That is what went up there. :stonklol:

For whatever reason a -25 makes my brain go "sure, why not: It's all engine." But the old rear end Fishbed??

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Oops, I meant 120,000 feet. My bad.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

For whatever reason a -25 makes my brain go "sure, why not: It's all engine." But the old rear end Fishbed??

The thing's just an engine with fins on it. And considering the tiny fuel load, I wouldn't be surprised if it ran out of gas about the same time it hit that altitude.

It's the better Russian F-104. Of course it has similar climb performance.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

what is going on with 777s this year? It's uncanny

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/fire-on-plane-forces-halifax-emergency-landing-1.2728570

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Better than the last time an airliner on fire tried to come into Halifax.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Better than the last time an airliner on fire tried to come into Halifax.

actually, did Swissair 111 know how bad the fire was when they declared emergency? I remember it as them knowing something was wrong but not that the plane was slowly burning up from inside the walls.

Edit: watching the aci doc now. It went from oh poo poo smoke to everyone dead very quickly.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 6, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Are there any major (let's say international) carriers operating right now that have never had a fatal accident?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Oh boy I love it when some news intern finds CADORS for the first time...

Sagebrush posted:

Are there any major (let's say international) carriers operating right now that have never had a fatal accident?

Never is a pretty strong word, and international is so vague. Bear in mind there are a huge number of airlines out there that simply haven't existed outside this incredibly safe modern era, and thus haven't (yet) had a fatality.

Off the top of my head, an international airline that has never had a fatality? Emirates, for one. :unsmigghh:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Qantas hasn't since 1951 when it was the Australian national airlines.

I also think etihad is fatality free but they've only been around since 2003.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Not that they qualify, but America West never had a fatality, but then they had to go become US Air and throw that great history out the window.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'll never say a bad word about US Air because they saved me from missing the opening of a conference in Galveston I was a speaker at when every other goddamned airline in Newark had no flights to Houston left scheduled for that day.

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I'll never say a bad word about US Air because they saved me from missing the opening of a conference in Galveston I was a speaker at when every other goddamned airline in Newark had no flights to Houston left scheduled for that day.

US Air always seemed to have the slowest and most incompetent employees, but they make up for it by boarding earlier and taking more time to account. To give them credit, I had a flight from Columbus to DFW through ATL that was going to have a cancellation on the second leg. Their booking system automatically rerouted me through DTW.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Qantas haven't had a jet era crash or fatality. They famously spent 18 months and a ton of money repairing the QF32 airframe so they can still say they've never lost one.

quote:

On 22 June 2011 Qantas announced that it had agreed to compensation from Rolls-Royce of "95m Australian dollars" (£62 million/US$100 million).[50] VH-OQA was repaired at an estimated cost of A$139 million (~US$145m). The aircraft has four new engines, a repaired left wing (including 6 km of wiring replaced), and had extensive on-ground testing and two test flights. It returned to Australia on 22 April, and was scheduled to return to service on 28 April 2012.[51] The repairs added 94 kilograms (207 lb) to the weight of the aircraft.[52]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_32#Compensation_and_repairs

Six of the of the twelve fatal crashes they've had were during WWII with two of those shot down by the Japanese.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Qantas_fatal_accidents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I thought the whole point of the B-17 was to fit as many 50 cals as possible on a plane, but it looks pretty smooth if you remove the guns and add an extra engine