Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Breaky posted:

Definitely but I don't think you'll see near as many "overcoming adversity" spots about Ray Rice like you might about Jameis. Don't get me wrong, both of them are deserving and it's a very close margin (in my mind) between the two.

We're already getting showered with them about Rice so you must be picturing an hour-long special on ESPN or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

football fuckerman posted:

We're already getting showered with them about Rice so you must be picturing an hour-long special on ESPN or something

Really?

drat. I quit watching ESPN earlier this year so maybe I'm missing most of that.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Jameis Winston.

Breaky posted:

I quit watching ESPN

This cat knows what's up.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Breaky posted:

Really?

drat. I quit watching ESPN earlier this year so maybe I'm missing most of that.

I mean the Ravens website thing which I don't have the screencap of, I don't have ESPN but there have been several things on the internet just blithely like, Fans welcome Rice back with standing ovation

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Leperflesh posted:

Jameis Winston also went on a shooting spree with one or more teammates on his campus with a pellet gun. Supposedly shooting squirrels, but causing a few thousand dollars in damage due to broken windows and the like.

There are also articles like this in which merely referencing Winston's history of douchebaggery in a pretty amusing tweet is ragged on apparently because FSU is popular.

But it seems like most of the news articles I'm finding just refer to an "alleged" rape which the Talahassee Police Department failed to adequately investigate before clearing Winston. That could mean that he is a rapist or it could mean that he isn't. Probably the public will never know.

He seems like a douchebag anyway, but I'm going to have to go with Ray Rice, the douchebag who was caught on video with his beat-to-unconsciousness girlfriend who is now his wife who he got to apologize for her role in being beaten.

That's what I thought. We don't actually know. This is a tough fight.

This is essentially the toughest battle we've ever had. Lets look at this:

Jameis Winston
-Apparently a douchebag, goes on shooting sprees with pellet gun. acts like immature college student
-is viewed as savior and not punished for his actions because football
-crab legs
-may have raped someone, but we will never know for sure. He was never charged.

Rice
-Up to this point is supposedly a boy scout, no prior offenses to this
-actually is charged
-actually has evidence of dragging wife out of elevator. Remember, he dragged her out, he didn't carry her
-the wife then apologized for being smacked around
-but both are being charged

We don't know exactly what happened in that Elevator. Maybe the wife actually was assulting him and Rice got in a lucky shot. We also don't know if Jameis actually raped that girl. But what we do have is video evidence of the aftermath of Rice's incident which makes him look just awful. We also have Ray Rice actually getting charged.

When I don't know the truth to either, I'm going to pick the one with slightly more evidence. If Jameis is a rapist, then he deserves it, but we just don't have any real clue here. Ray Rice

To be fair, they are all coming from the Ravens PR office, and everyone is slamming them for it.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
sure but right now the Winston comeback stories are coming from Breaky's imagination

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

sure but right now the Winston comeback stories are coming from Breaky's imagination

I don't think that it's much of a stretch of the imagination that at some point if Jameis has a big win that will be part of the narrative. As for the Rice stuff I just haven't been watching. Anyway it's a dumb point either way as, like I've already said, they both are deserving of it and it's a narrow margin.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ray Rice for not making better use of his natural athletic prowess in order to prevent his then-girlfriend from running into an elevator door

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ray Rice

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Febreeze posted:

That's what I thought. We don't actually know. This is a tough fight.

This is essentially the toughest battle we've ever had. Lets look at this:

Jameis Winston
-Apparently a douchebag, goes on shooting sprees with pellet gun. acts like immature college student
-is viewed as savior and not punished for his actions because football
-crab legs
-may have raped someone, but we will never know for sure. He was never charged.

Rice
-Up to this point is supposedly a boy scout, no prior offenses to this
-actually is charged
-actually has evidence of dragging wife out of elevator. Remember, he dragged her out, he didn't carry her
-the wife then apologized for being smacked around
-but both are being charged

We don't know exactly what happened in that Elevator. Maybe the wife actually was assulting him and Rice got in a lucky shot. We also don't know if Jameis actually raped that girl. But what we do have is video evidence of the aftermath of Rice's incident which makes him look just awful. We also have Ray Rice actually getting charged.

When I don't know the truth to either, I'm going to pick the one with slightly more evidence. If Jameis is a rapist, then he deserves it, but we just don't have any real clue here. Ray Rice

To be fair, they are all coming from the Ravens PR office, and everyone is slamming them for it.

I was having a similar back and forth in my mind and this helped clinch it for me. Ray Rice

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Chilichimp posted:

I said it before and I'll say it again, I'm going to vote for the actual loving rapist every time.

Jameis Winston

This shouldn't even be close, because, you know, RAPE.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Man, the dichotomy between attitudes and presumption of guilt towards Big Ben and Jameis is really interesting here.

Jameis Winston because he did the exact same thing THIS TOURNAMENT IS NAMED FOR!

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

warcrimes posted:

But lets be real, its all about the uncooked crab legs

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

I mean the Ravens website thing which I don't have the screencap of, I don't have ESPN but there have been several things on the internet just blithely like, Fans welcome Rice back with standing ovation

Go on. :allears:

:downsbravo:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

swickles posted:

Man, the dichotomy between attitudes and presumption of guilt towards Big Ben and Jameis is really interesting here.

Jameis Winston because he did the exact same thing THIS TOURNAMENT IS NAMED FOR!

Yeah, this. Even if he didn't rape someone, he still comes off as an incredibly entitled douche.

Winston

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

warcrimes posted:

Not even close? Rape is godawful but I feel like you might be underselling loving Domestic Abuse, especially since rape can be included in that sometimes

Breaky posted:

I don't think that it's much of a stretch of the imagination that at some point if Jameis has a big win that will be part of the narrative. As for the Rice stuff I just haven't been watching. Anyway it's a dumb point either way as, like I've already said, they both are deserving of it and it's a narrow margin.

Jameis already had his big win, he completed the "redemption" arc when FSU won the championship. At this point it's been forgotten about. I doubt we'll have more than just a few mentions of it now.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 6, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

Not even close? Rape is godawful but I feel like you might be underselling loving Domestic Abuse

Rape is worse.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

Yeah but Jameis only did it once you see.

Rape is worse as a single act and Winston probably did it. There's enough of a hole (because of the TPD who I'll probably be voting for again later on) to make it really close with Rice just because it's hard to ignore that video.

Flipped a coin like that other guy did, came up Jameis Winston for me.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Well you see, we really shouldn't compare the two across leagues. That's why I've invented a defense-adjusted stat (with a base line off 100, of course) that meshes with the eye test- Miles Davis's numbers are amazing across any era, of course,

(this is the worst argument)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Febreeze posted:

especially since rape can be included in that sometimes

But not in this case.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Febreeze posted:

Not even close? Rape is godawful but I feel like you might be underselling loving Domestic Abuse

Anyway you slice it, rape is worse than domestic abuse, especially in this case, where it seems to be a one-time event, not a classic domestic abuse situation. In addition, Rice seems very regretful where Winston is remorseless and refusing to even acknowledge he did anything wrong.

Don't take any of that as some kind of defense of what Rice did, there's no way in hell I'd do that.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ray Rice is the bigger douche

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

Perhaps I am biased but I must chose Ray Rice. His low suspension is really making it hard for me to stay a fan of the NFL. It gets even worse with the images I quoted. A loving disgrace.

edit: the bracket has finally been updated!

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 6, 2014

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Ray Rice

I really wish both would lose, but Ray Rice flipping public opinion is unacceptable.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 6, 2014

Mughe
Mar 17, 2007

I'll tolerate you until I can replace you.
Ray Rice

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Ray Rice

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Comparing the two crimes isn't going to get us very far. The situations are just simply different at a basic level. comparing the two kind of suggests that each guy had the two options in front of him, and Ray Rice chose punching and Jameis Winston chose rape. Would Winston be an assaulter, would Rice be a rapist, who knows

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
This is a tough one, but the video evidence has swayed my vote as well. Ray Rice.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Winston gets my vote but barely.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This is really close. It might be because it's fresh in my mind, or because the Ravens themselves are so supportive of it, but I have to give it to Ray Rice Against most other people I probably would have picked Winston though.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
After many hours of consternation, consideration, and extended bouts of hand-wringing I've decided, finally, to go with:

Jameis Rice no wait I change my mind Ray Winston! :ohdear:

god they both suck so hard.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Leperflesh posted:

Jameis Winston also went on a shooting spree with one or more teammates on his campus with a pellet gun. Supposedly shooting squirrels, but causing a few thousand dollars in damage due to broken windows and the like.

There are also articles like this in which merely referencing Winston's history of douchebaggery in a pretty amusing tweet is ragged on apparently because FSU is popular.

But it seems like most of the news articles I'm finding just refer to an "alleged" rape which the Talahassee Police Department failed to adequately investigate before clearing Winston. That could mean that he is a rapist or it could mean that he isn't. Probably the public will never know.

He seems like a douchebag anyway, but I'm going to have to go with Ray Rice, the douchebag who was caught on video with his beat-to-unconsciousness girlfriend who is now his wife who he got to apologize for her role in being beaten.

RICE A RONI, THE BEAT YOUR WIFE TREAT

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Winston

gently caress rapists

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jameis Winston might be a rapist but it was never investigated properly.

Ray Rice, on the other hand, is on video beating the poo poo out of his fiancee.

On the principle of innocent until proven guilty (and in this case I count beating someone on video tape as "guilty"), I choose Ray Rice.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

On the principle of innocent until proven guilty

Better rename the award then.

jugulator45
Apr 1, 2009
Ray Rice

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jameis Winston

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
This is a tough one but my vote goes to Ray Rice because a) I hate the Ravens and the Ravens celebrated him after he beat his wife. b) Roger Goodell had a chance to send a message to the league and the world that this is not loving ok and he whiffed. c) My feeling is that Ray Rice pressured his wife to rescind.

Winston did something just as horrible but the NFL stood by and said not only is this cool we support this guy.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I'm voting Ray Rice because not only is he a wife-beater, he's a wife-beater who's being protected by the NFL and cheered by Ravens fans.

Jameis could bust in the NFL and get his comeuppance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Caught you before your edit and now I want to see a list of scumbag Florida State guys. I'd imagine they'd put up a pretty good fight just since they've been around a lot longer.

Not that it should apply to this vote in any way of course.

• Locked thread