Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So how do you go about painting Salamander green then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

TheOneOutside posted:

Did you use sponges for the blue?

Sorry, missed your question. No sponges for the blue, just haphazardly slapping it on with a big cheap brush. I did use sponges for all the weathering though.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

The method FW use is a basecoat of Tamiya Flat Green, a highlight of Loren Green and a wash of 50/50 Biel Tan Green and Lahmian Medium.

Found a picture of some of mine using the same technique, although the picture seems a little washed out.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That'll work

Any idea what the closest GW or vallejo to the tamiya flat green is?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Vallejo Sick Green is an alternative for Sallies, depending how you wash & highlight it's a slightly more vibrant, crisp colour.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
VGC Sick Green is just their copy of GW's old Snot Green, so yeah that would be a pretty good alternative.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Got a pot of Snot Green thats still good, cheers chaps!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

What's Vallejo equivalent to dark angel green?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LingcodKilla posted:

Misery.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In honor of the thread title I received a notification from Amazon is $10 a bottle today!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

LingcodKilla posted:

dark angel green

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

And here I thought my bottle was just lovely.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Bought these at GenCon 2010, figured I should finally get them painted before I go back this year.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.

Fyrbrand posted:

Bought these at GenCon 2010, figured I should finally get them painted before I go back this year.

Those are awesome and would make sweet objective markers if they fit on 50mm bases.

Who makes those?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Here's the quick oath I dashed off this month, a Reaper Bones golem that I took a crack at doing up in NMM gold.

quote:

If anyone's curious, I used the tutorial here as my guide, substituting brands of paint but otherwise following it to the letter. I don't think I did it justice, of course, but I was pleasantly surprised with the way my own model turned out.

Parts List, in pictorial format:

The illegible VGC bottle is, I'm 99% sure, Heavy Siena.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Anyone here use the GW drybrush paints? What consistency should they have? Just bought a thing of the Necron Compound, and it's not fluid at all. It's not quite solid, but it's almost like a paste.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
That sounds about right. After taking from the pot you are supposed to dab onto a papertowel or something to get most of the excess paint and moisture out of the brush so your pigments are 'dry' and also held deeper/centrial inside the hairs of the brush to have better control.

The GW paints are not solid nor are they powder, but some less-moist pasty texture that is easier to dab to the right consistency. A contrast would be Badger Minitaire[sic] paints that are almost impossible to get into a drybrush because they are so diluted for airbrush consistency.

Their paint would never really feel 'dry' in the brush and as you flicked the hairs over your model the effect would be less like adding a dusting of color on the highest points but instead many small vivid lacerations of color that could also bleed into recesses, which is not normally how you want when you drybrush.

Edit: Looking at that color name I would say it would be perfect over a black primed mini. I love drybrushing silver metals over black since it gives the metals some wonderful depth and drybrushing is a quick way to get satisfying shading into fiddly details like cables and armorplates/rivets. It has a worn look but for most beginner/intermediate painters it looks spot on in one or two layers of quick easy painting.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 7, 2014

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks, I might try it. I have to have this model done by the end of the month, and there are so many bits to work on, I'm taking every shortcut I can. The soul grinder's skin is just bloodstain red, with a drybrush midtone and some line and point highlights here and there.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Edit: Looking at that color name I would say it would be perfect over a black primed mini. I love drybrushing silver metals over black since it gives the metals some wonderful depth and drybrushing is a quick way to get satisfying shading into fiddly details like cables and armorplates/rivets. It has a worn look but for most beginner/intermediate painters it looks spot on in one or two layers of quick easy painting.

I use a Tamiya TS-42 Light Gunmetal over black primer for my GKs, then I overbrush Ironbreaker or whatever Boltgun Metal's new equivalent over the top of it to get more of a smooth blend. It gives a nice depth as you mentioned, but is good for less of a worn appearance and great for covering large areas like predominantly silver infantry or vehicles. Slap on some highlights, a black wash and some edge highlights afterwards and you're good to go.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Acceptableloss posted:

Those are awesome and would make sweet objective markers if they fit on 50mm bases.

Who makes those?

I got them from the Armorcast booth. I'm at work now, but I'm pretty sure they're a little too big to fit on 50mm bases. I can confirm tonight though.

Edit: Here they are.

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 7, 2014

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I made some bases with cork and sprayed them black. I realized I probably want them brownish to look like cracked mud or something, since I made them pretty flat, but most tutorials I find, they drybrush clack with grey or white. Anyone have any experiences?

Edit: This is how it looks

There was this youtube channel posted here I think with a lot of good tips for basing, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 7, 2014

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Sistergodiva posted:

I made some bases with cork and sprayed them black. I realized I probably want them brownish to look like cracked mud or something, since I made them pretty flat, but most tutorials I find, they drybrush clack with grey or white. Anyone have any experiences?

Edit: This is how it looks

There was this youtube channel posted here I think with a lot of good tips for basing, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

Off the top my head the youtube channel you're probably looking for is EonsofBattle.

Plastic Scouser
Aug 16, 2006

"You just..say these things."
Ultramarines 2nd Battle Company (so far) with some detachments from 1st and The Armoury. The fact it's been 3 years on and off painting showed when I've had to tidy up the older models so they didn't stick out like a sore thumb! I've been trying to resist the desire to strip the paint and redo completely...though I may let myself with the Captain when I'm finished.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

JerryLee posted:

Here's the quick oath I dashed off this month, a Reaper Bones golem that I took a crack at doing up in NMM gold.

That looks rad as hell. I may have to steal this idea if I ever get around to painting that dude.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I haven't painted for over half a year. I was limited on how far I could go because it was a birthday present for someone. I ran out of time to do more.

Tell me what you guys think!

Edit: Blends are mix of brush and airbrush. I do all the main layers with the airbrush then go in with a brush and deepen/bring up finer areas. I left it with a satin varnish rather than matte because it helps the colours pop more and I think suits the beastie.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 8, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fabulous, is the blending with an airbrush? It's super smooth.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Several goons have posted that model over the few years I've been reading these threads, it seems like, and every time it almost makes me glad I don't play the game/faction it's for (High Elves?) because goddamn I would never ever be able to do it like you folks do. Even my tabletop standard would look like THIN YOUR PAINTS compared to some of these jobs.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
:stare: yeah I guess that's ok

bokbok
Jan 12, 2006

do you like my hat?
I love that model and the colours :allears:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Dat burd.

Okay, so, my soul grinder project. I was not joking when I said I was cheating every which way I could. The paint job is ugly and won't win any prizes, so I'm hoping the overall execution of the project pulls me through.

Here we see the main body of the Soul Grinder.  It's done up primarily in GW paints.  I ended up getting a bunch to paint up a Space Wolves army.  In general, I don't like 'em as much, mostly because I hate working out of pots.  Eventually, I'll take the time to transfer them all to dropper bottles, the way God intended.  This is pretty much all leadbelcher, with a little bit of Necron Compound drybrush and a bunch of Typhus Corrosion.   

Here's the first leg painted up.  The others will hopefully go faster, now that I know what my color scheme is for them.  Man, the Abaddon Black went on thick.  Probably gonna use the Reaper Pure Black for the other legs.  Again, mostly GW colors.  Did use Splintered Bone for the skull, and the sinews are done with Bloodstain Red, so Reaper is somewhat represented.  Speaking of Bloodstain Red...

Torso was done primarily in bloodstain red, with some P3 Skorne Red drybrushed on, and some highlights done with a touch of lava orange mixed with the Skorn Red for spot and line highlights.  It was quick and dirty, but I'm gonna have to take every shortcut I can to get this done on time.  I'm hoping that spectacle will win me through where I don't have time to do a lot of skill-intensive stuff.

Here you can see where a couple of orks will go.  The ork on top is replacing the head, and will have a set of handlebars that are wired into the body.  Haven't decided exactly what I'll do about the hole, but I may put some greenstuff on the edges to make it look more uneven and organic.  Just a bit ol' neckhole.  You can see a machine gunner peeking out the back, awaiting priming and a head.

This guy I'm gonna use as the main piece of orkification.  I'll be cutting it in half.  Front half will go on the waist with an ork dozer bit, and the back will go on behind the body, and serve as a platform for other orks.  It was already painted when I got it, but I cleared using it with the store owner, so long as I do some clean-up.  The big thing is that I paint up the primary model myself.

Here's the bulldozer bit.  It's gonna be fun to paint up.

That's pretty much where I'm at for the moment.  We'll see how long it takes to finish up the legs and arms on the soul grinder, and then I'll start working in the added parts.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So after almost of full week of seeing my better half I decided to not dive back in straight away with miniatures and instead work on some terrain. Watched a few videos and this is what I've done so far. I'll eventually make it into area terrain with bits of brick and other odds and ends. (Included Space Marine for scale)

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006
This is potentially a stupid question but can anybody id the grey/blue paint on these mini's, I've been looking for that sort of grey for an urban scheme but I can't for the life of me find a match.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7WkwcPZ9k0

A review of the Vallejo Game Air paints. They seem pretty solid.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm excited for game air. I'll definitely buy the set. I own the set of minitaire, and while I don't dislike them as much as schnauzerface they certainly have their failings.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

This is potentially a stupid question but can anybody id the grey/blue paint on these mini's, I've been looking for that sort of grey for an urban scheme but I can't for the life of me find a match.

Bear in mind that the colors you see online aren't always rendered properly. Lighting, the background, and any potential Photoshop edits are going to really change to tone of the color you're seeing. I'd look at Vallejo Pale Blue, Vallejo Pale Gray Blue, or Light Sea Gray: http://www.10mm-wargaming.com/vallejo-paints.htm

Have you tried asking the painter? Most painters are willing to give up their color recipes if you ask nicely.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Bear in mind that the colors you see online aren't always rendered properly. Lighting, the background, and any potential Photoshop edits are going to really change to tone of the color you're seeing. I'd look at Vallejo Pale Blue, Vallejo Pale Gray Blue, or Light Sea Gray: http://www.10mm-wargaming.com/vallejo-paints.htm

Have you tried asking the painter? Most painters are willing to give up their color recipes if you ask nicely.

I would also say VMA Pale Grey too.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fyrbrand posted:

More lighting tests. This time a big mek stompa I converted and painted up a couple years ago.

This isn't getting enough love but it's cool as hell.

I'm hoping to get my WHFB Giant glued and primed tonight. "WiP pics coming," he says to motivate himself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is there a good source for those old-rear end space marine bayonets and chainsaw bayonets? Does anybody even stock bits that old?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Are you talking about the ones from the original beige beakies set? I've never seen those anywhere. I might have some leftover though - how many were you looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Anywhere from four to twelve would work, I might still have some buried in my parents' attic from twenty years ago, too.

• Locked thread