Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2014/08/whats-the-best-device-for-interactive-learning/375567/2/

quote:

“Our goal was [to find out] not really which device was better, per se, but which device met the learning goals,” Handler said.

turns out it was the chome book

two reasons apparently.

one was the cloud? seriously? clouds are old as poo poo

and the other was typing. who would have known typos would still be a faux pa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but seriously this brings a smile to my face. not because its bad for apple and certainly not because its good for google but ANY TIME a large faceless capitalist corporation is struck with pain and anguish is just another day we commoners will live to see the sun. gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
tim knows about this, and it hurt him personally, as well as financially.

his pain gives me hope

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
ipads are ideal for a hybrid learning approach bc they they dont take up much space and can be used in conjunction w/ the analog learning materials of the students. also theyre vry flexible and can be used to walk around and film/record/photograph which makes them ideal for cool group project stuff. and they fit into the students backpacks together w/ their schoolbooks and poo poo. also when u use a laptop, the screen kinda creates a barrier between the student and the teacher wich is not ideal.

look at all these words its like i cared about this

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

just let the kids play angry birds theyll figure it all out at some point

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but the thing is they used the ipads they used the chrome books and then settled for what works best. end result is they sold a bunch of ipads

i think. i just skimmed the artcle. post another picture of ashton as steve tia

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

ipads are ideal for a hybrid learning approach bc they they dont take up much space and can be used in conjunction w/ the analog learning materials of the students. also theyre vry flexible and can be used to walk around and film/record/photograph which makes them ideal for cool group project stuff. and they fit into the students backpacks together w/ their schoolbooks and poo poo. also when u use a laptop, the screen kinda creates a barrier between the student and the teacher wich is not ideal.

look at all these words its like i cared about this
tablets and laptops still create a barrier between the student and teacher period; have you seen little kids whose parents give them tablets yet like every kid under 10 in my extended family at this point has to have their phone or tablet taken from them for them to look at another human being

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

yeah i'm not saying it works equally well for all ages. but its also different when in ur in school and not just loving around at a family dinner

i had a conversation w/ a teacher of a tablet class and she said she tells everyone to put the ipads on the table w/ the screens black if she wants everyone to listen

also students will always look for distractions and their smartphones are a way bigger issue when it comes to that and; they dont rly gently caress around w/ the ipads when in class

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

walkman in your pocket with a headphone wire running up your shirt and sleeve and then leaning on that hand to have the earphone in while you were 'writing'

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

impressive.

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

yeah that wouldve been the mid/late 90s so my point is kids have lots of time to work out how to get away with trying not to be bored

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
smythe is a big fan of chromebooks, right?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i said ashton, not steve

prefect posted:

smythe is a big fan of chromebooks, right?

u know it

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Kids are so bad at typing (even tweens/teens), I say give them all Chromebooks and make them use AIM or something to communicate, in 6 months they'll all be ready for Das Keyboards. Make them earn autocorrect.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Do they still even teach typing in schools or do they just assume kids know now

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Lots of teachers really do assume that because kids know how to upload things to fb/Instagram they're tech wizards beyond any kind of computing instruction

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Etuni posted:

Lots of teachers really do assume that because kids know how to upload things to fb/Instagram they're tech wizards beyond any kind of computing instruction

our student workers have proven this wrong beyond all comprehension so I kinda hope they start teaching kids how to actually type and use a computer again

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
the Chromebook is the best device on the market and I'm glad to see someone is recognizing this instead of bowing to the putrid, bloated corpse of cr@pple

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

LARD LORD posted:

putrid, bloated

..but enough about you! lmao

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao is that really from that movie

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i didn't want to watch that movie but the ashton steve pics being posted lately have made me reconsider.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 404 days!

Citizen Tayne posted:

..but enough about you! lmao

:eyepop:

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Do they still even teach typing in schools or do they just assume kids know now

bah, typing

they need to start teaching kids how to write in italic again

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Max Facetime posted:

bah, typing

they need to start teaching kids how to write in italic again

uh, you mean cursive?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

but the thing is they used the ipads they used the chrome books and then settled for what works best. end result is they sold a bunch of ipads

i think. i just skimmed the artcle. post another picture of ashton as steve tia

no, ~The IT Guys~ don't like apple. there was some school district (i think it was LA USD) that hosed up the settings on the ipads they were lending and students could install whatever they wanted. so the solution was to pull all the ipads instead of just fixing their poo poo and updating.

also, google is literally giving away chromebooks and nexus tablets.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
every day i wake up and praise the death of cursive

gently caress cursive

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

Etuni posted:

Kids are so bad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

no, ~The IT Guys~ don't like apple. there was some school district (i think it was LA USD) that hosed up the settings on the ipads they were lending and students could install whatever they wanted. so the solution was to pull all the ipads instead of just fixing their poo poo and updating.

also, google is literally giving away chromebooks and nexus tablets.

ok

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
plus typing, but that only matters for certain classes.

tablet form factor is better for some, but when google is like "here have 1000 free chromebooks" its hard for the school to say no

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Etuni posted:

Kids are so bad at typing (even tweens/teens), I say give them all Chromebooks and make them use AIM or something to communicate, in 6 months they'll all be ready for Das Keyboards. Make them earn autocorrect.

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

walkman in your pocket with a headphone wire running up your shirt and sleeve and then leaning on that hand to have the earphone in while you were 'writing'

yep

• Locked thread