Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

If you want to be a real gamer aficionado you have to use a crt. Someone will reopen electronics boutique and only sell vintage games, old monitors, and tell you how much of a plebeian you are if you don't game like a purist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The PC Master Race is alive and well in this thread.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i already game on crts op

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Besides all that, OP, they have better refresh rates than most LCD and LED monitors.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
everyone will use trinitrons again

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Besides all that, OP, they have better refresh rates than most LCD and LED monitors.

better color too

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

CRT's are why everyone that grew up in the 80s and 90s has glasses.

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
The positron beam emitted by the cathode ray tube resonates at the harmonic frequency of the human soul, making gaming a more pleasurable experience. Also CGA is far superior to VGA.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

CRT's are why everyone that grew up in the 80s and 90s has glasses.

Without them, a whole section of the book Cryptonomicon by uhhh William Gibson or whatever would not exist. Count your blessings.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

Without them, a whole section of the book Cryptonomicon by uhhh William Gibson or whatever would not exist. Count your blessings.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

85Mhz refresh rate is the only refresh rate you will ever need. My blacks are true and the electrons excite my phosphor screen. I am PC gaming.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

*click the degauss button*

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

*click the degauss button*

Hears the kuhpwang noise in my head. This is epic.

Sheikh Yerbooti
Aug 7, 2014

Haram
I still use a CRT TV to play my SNES games. They look better compared to my normal TV. Is there some technical reason behind this?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Sheikh Yerbooti posted:

I still use a CRT TV to play my SNES games. They look better compared to my normal TV. Is there some technical reason behind this?

post this in the retrogaming thread and be ready for multiple 5000 word responses

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Degaussing the screen strikes the same pleasure center as enjoying a good stretch

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
*throws an LCD monitor at a car window and it doesn't break*

I miss the 90s :(

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Degaussing the screen strikes the same pleasure center as enjoying a good stretch

For me it's more like a nearly falling backwards in a chair kind of sensation since while I enjoy it it fills me with an instant of dread and worry like I might break something.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Sheikh Yerbooti posted:

the lower resolution is fuzzier and I think games were designed with that in mind

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't know the technical technical about it but games look and even feel more sluggish on the average LCD probably because of the refresh rate and ghosting stuff. I have a 120hz LCD monitor and it's night and day compared to the 60hz one (when I first got it and started using it I felt like I was going to throw up for the first few hours lmao) but I'm sure a CRT looks even better for those reasons, especially a nice one.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Sheikh Yerbooti posted:

i think its mostly because if u play an old game system on an hdtv the picture gets upscaled and most tvs have really bad built in upscalers. if u buy a good external upscaler like the xrgb mini old games will look good on modern tvs

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I didn't buy a IPS display because it has a 5ms response time and instead went with a 3d monitor cause it does 144 hz at 1ms reponse time.

Sheikh Yerbooti
Aug 7, 2014

Haram

Swelter Discharge posted:

i think its mostly because if u play an old game system on an hdtv the picture gets upscaled and most tvs have really bad built in upscalers. if u buy a good external upscaler like the xrgb mini old games will look good on modern tvs

I might have to look into this. Thank you. This is much easier than reading through the thread over in the games forum on it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Another point in favor of CRTs: It's harder to get cool warped color rear end regions of screen in a LCD, in my experience. Having a yellow edge and a burgundy corner of a CRT just gives game's that much more charm.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

CRTs allow you to run power cables near them, be next to fridges, or under florescent lights to warp the picture for a more cyberpunk experience.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I didn't buy a IPS display because it has a 5ms response time and instead went with a 3d monitor cause it does 144 hz at 1ms reponse time.

How are the colors on it?

The colors on the 1ms monitors I tried (an Asus and some BenQ) were poo poo and washed out gray garbage.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i have friends who do cognitive vision research and they're always trolling for used CRTs

apparently none of their experiments work if you don't have whole-screen refresh at > 60 Hz

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

How are the colors on it?

The colors on the 1ms monitors I tried (an Asus and some BenQ) were poo poo and washed out gray garbage.

I had to tweak the poo poo out of onboard display settings, load a color profile for the monitor, and tweak windows gamma/color. It looks okay now but out of the box its 100% brightness and looks grey (also will set your eyes on fire).

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Pretty much I mess with the settings until the sRGB standard looks normal, then adjust the brightness so it doesn't strain my eyes.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I'm kinda surprised there's no company just cranking out a relatively low number of CRT monitors and selling them for stupid prices because I'm sure nerds would eat then up

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I'm kinda surprised there's no company just cranking out a relatively low number of CRT monitors and selling them for stupid prices because I'm sure nerds would eat then up

Iiyama does that, IIRC.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I had to tweak the poo poo out of onboard display settings, load a color profile for the monitor, and tweak windows gamma/color. It looks okay now but out of the box its 100% brightness and looks grey (also will set your eyes on fire).

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

Pretty much I mess with the settings until the sRGB standard looks normal, then adjust the brightness so it doesn't strain my eyes.

Yeah I did all that with the Asus I got and couldn't get it right. When I thought I had it right it had scan lines or whatever in greens and grays and I ended up saying gently caress it.

Also I used the same monitor for like 5 years and every new monitor has a brightness that is way way higher than what I got used to, even on the lowest setting.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
if you dont play pro cs 1.6 with a 120hz refresh rate then youre a scrub

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

closeted republican posted:

if you dont play pro cs 1.6 with a 120hz refresh rate then youre a scrub

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Asus is my sworn electronics enemy. Mine had a dead pixel on it in the middle and when I sent it to be repaired I bought a 10 dollar UPS box (they told me not to send it in the retail box alone) they left it in the warehouse for weeks, and when I called to ask what was going on they didn't even know they had it, and then when they sent it back a few weeks later my UPS box was gone and they shipped it in the retail box and for all I know didn't even look at it.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Wormskull posted:

Another point in favor of CRTs: It's harder to get cool warped color rear end regions of screen in a LCD, in my experience. Having a yellow edge and a burgundy corner of a CRT just gives game's that much more charm.

My LCD is getting some epic burn in patterns (battle scars) from World of Warcraft

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Ristolaz posted:

My LCD is getting some epic burn in patterns (battle scars) from World of Warcraft

Mine just ended up looking like someone put a layer of the Old Computer Yellow color on top of it as a multiply layer.

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001

Wormskull posted:

Asus is my sworn electronics enemy. Mine had a dead pixel on it in the middle and when I sent it to be repaired I bought a 10 dollar UPS box (they told me not to send it in the retail box alone) they left it in the warehouse for weeks, and when I called to ask what was going on they didn't even know they had it, and then when they sent it back a few weeks later my UPS box was gone and they shipped it in the retail box and for all I know didn't even look at it.

Wtf happened to Asus? In the 90s they made top notch motherboards and now it seems they make complete poo poo. I have an Asus tablet that only charges when its turned off and the battery drains while it's plugged in. </derail>

The glass used in CRT monitors is designed to focus the sunrays of the god Ra from the epicenter of the pyramids of egypt and direct them into the sub-cortex of the human brain.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ristolaz posted:

The gaming equivalent of scarring yourself with a kitchen knife, buying a camo suit and pretending you were deployed in some war torn shithole.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

how the gently caress old is your LCD that it has burn in issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Hears the kuhpwang noise in my head. This is epic.

awww yeeeeeeh

• Locked thread