Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

i mgetting really bored of this effortpost

not just me then

nah jokin ;) but thanks I think I anger rig the picture

I'm really enjoying nutting out this project. next up is timber enclosure :q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

maxim finally sent me my sample quad UARTs and level shifters too

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
get whomever it is that got all the oldass audio ASICs to make you some sweet old school shootmans sound effects for you're game, luigi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey sage was it you linked me to all about circuits? that poo poo is off the hook. best resource ive read yet. certainly doesnt pussy out

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doc Block posted:

get whomever it is that got all the oldass audio ASICs to make you some sweet old school shootmans sound effects for you're game, luigi

i spent the afternoon working out the melodies to abba songs and putting them into my tracker

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

hey sage was it you linked me to all about circuits? that poo poo is off the hook. best resource ive read yet. certainly doesnt pussy out

yeah that site is fantastic. there are some sections that aren't completed yet but it goes into super detail about passives and basic logic components

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this is a real thing get a genuine one

ppl die

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah a person in china. over here we have laws that prevent that kind of stuff from happening

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yeah a person in china. over here we have laws that prevent that kind of stuff from happening

same but they catch fire anyway echi

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

my shower in china had an electrical outlet inside it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theadder posted:

same but they catch fire anyway echi

that was the joke

Sagebrush posted:

my shower in china had an electrical outlet inside it.

its called living and not being afraid of what life throws at you

so yeah risk of electrouction? welp. fire? not too woried. its not bruning my house down atm

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

pwned see u at the wake

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
checkin out components i garbage-picked and desoldered from some poo poo somebody left a bunch of by the drop off. like, a fuckton of faceplates for old cable boxes or vcrs or something, but only two of them had circuits still in them. got a couple segmented led displays, some leds, and a bunch of tactile switches, and a piezo.

teaching my arduino to play hot cross buns off-key

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

checkin out components i garbage-picked and desoldered from some poo poo somebody left a bunch of by the drop off. like, a fuckton of faceplates for old cable boxes or vcrs or something, but only two of them had circuits still in them. got a couple segmented led displays, some leds, and a bunch of tactile switches, and a piezo.

teaching my arduino to play hot cross buns off-key

is you're time worthless? its generally cheaper to buy e-waste new online from places like mouser and digikey

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

is you're time worthless?

pretty much

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Doc Block posted:

oh poo poo yeah -- what was the p/n for that again? the ray gun asic

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

game project update: now the bullets can hit enemies and damage them and kill them!!!

maybe i should just write sinistar instead so i don't have to figure out how to implement a dialogue system in blueprint scripting

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Bloody posted:

is you're time worthless? its generally cheaper to buy e-waste new online from places like mouser and digikey

uh yeah duh this was an idiot spare time project

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

current spaceship status: :toot:

blueprint is fun

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 7, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so cool

do u have to "code much"
on that unreal thing

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
did someone mention it costs
$20

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
$20/month, 5% of your gross revenue (all your revenue is gross LOL), and you have to notify Epic when you release a game before it gets released.

Or you can pay $1500-$3000 to get the same poo poo on Unity, but no royalties.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

echinopsis posted:

so cool

do u have to "code much"
on that unreal thing

I haven't written a single line of code to do anything in UE4 though if I wanted to I certainly could, blueprint basically does it all behind the scenes for you. the blocks with spaceship game names are just a bunch of blocks on the graph I told it to collapse into a function, it converts them into a function block and it doesn't care what I do inside as long as the inputs and outputs match

it also has powerful debugging and simulation tools, supports breakpoints and watch points and everything like a real IDE and it's so much easier to use than digging through 4000 pages of unity help pages to figure out what kind of transformation function you need to discombobulate an Euler quaternion or whatever. you can take an output pin and drag it onto the graph and use a smart keyword and data type sensitive search to look up the block you're trying to lay down.

a guy in coc was talking about his functional multiplayer descent flight model game he threw together in a day with it

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Aug 7, 2014

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

$20/month, 5% of your gross revenue (all your revenue is gross LOL), and you have to notify Epic when you release a game before it gets released.

that seems pretty reasonable actually

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wanna play around with it? hehehe I have an idea for unique game model [well I haven't heard of it before] but I can't think of a good game to make out of it. classic

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

I wanna play around with it? hehehe I have an idea for unique game model [well I haven't heard of it before] but I can't think of a good game to make out of it. classic

have u considered a retro 2d platformer

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Luigi Thirty posted:

blueprint is fun

that looks awesome; regretting learning unity so hard right now

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Bloody posted:

hey how about a ROGUELIKE METROIDVANIA!?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
i've been wanting to make a steampunk metroidvania

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Silver Alicorn posted:

i've been wanting to make a steampunk metroidvania

don't trigger me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

blueprint looks like babby stuff but it can do just about anything ue4 can. you can script your AI with it, handle IAP with it, do complex physics calculations.

it has a HUD class that gets redrawn every frame.

the layout here is ugly because i wanted to fit it all on one screen for a screenshot. this function takes the data from an interface to the player actor and uses it to draw the shield power section of the HUD, which are colored rectangles of the proper height. the height is inverted so their length is from the bottom up instead of the top down. this gives me 1px per point of strength. all the data types are color-coded, if there's a conversion to the pin you're trying to connect to (int to float, vector to string) it'll insert one automatically.

the player-controlled ship watches for certain keystroke events and tries to modify the shield strength accordingly.

and so the hud ends up looking like this so far and it only took me about an hour and a half to figure it out from "how do I hud" to this point.

basically lol if you use unity at this point

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 7, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

blueprint looks like babby stuff but it can do just about anything ue4 can. you can script your AI with it, handle IAP with it, do complex physics calculations.

it has a HUD class that gets redrawn every frame.

the layout here is ugly because i wanted to fit it all on one screen for a screenshot. this function takes the data from an interface to the player actor and uses it to draw the shield power section of the HUD, which are colored rectangles of the proper height. the height is inverted so their length is from the bottom up instead of the top down. this gives me 1px per point of strength.

the player-controlled ship watches for certain keystroke events and tries to modify the shield strength accordingly.

and so the hud ends up looking like this so far and it only took me about an hour and a half to figure it out from "how do I hud" to finish.

basically lol if you use unity at this point

does it have to look like poo poo oor si that just your posting gettihng on it

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bloody posted:

does it have to look like poo poo oor si that just your posting gettihng on it

you can put any material or model you want on it but since i dont have any i used a gray rectangle

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
decided to pick up my game-in-a-weekend and actually finish it

edit: the awful pillar and enemy robot thing graphics are gonna get replaced. the "Rocket Thrust" button will just have an up arrow. the "Shoot" button will be replaced with a gun graphic or something, maybe.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

decided to pick up my game-in-a-weekend and actually finish it

edit: the awful pillar and enemy robot thing graphics are gonna get replaced. the "Rocket Thrust" button will just have an up arrow. the "Shoot" button will be replaced with a gun graphic or something, maybe.

that owns! great spin on a deadly idea

Bloody posted:

ugh

the idea is you're :something: in the middle of a sphere/cylinder and u can only rotate not move and then

????

profit

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

that owns! great spin on a deadly idea

:tipshat:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does unreal have physics? like u could make a bridge sim?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
you could always use the Havok engine and have ur poo poo go through floors and get stuck on corners.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I like when I stumble upon game programming stuff, it's always full of neat ideas. but I never really felt like making a game because I don't really like videogames that much :(

I like tetris and I made a tetris once that's it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
wanna make a game it's like a dam building game but u also control the workers and have to build they city too. make sure they fed and don't die and stay in budget etc

then after all that it's like, does your dam fail? ahahahahha