Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

No see the part about him looking for a friend is actually just a mistranslation, Link just accidentally fell in a hole to an alternate dimension while running from the crazy Zora girl who was insisting they were married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Cia, Volvagia man and Wizzrobe would, unless I'm mistaken, make for 16 total playable characters, so I imagine they're the remainder.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

The idea that the five main areas of Termina represent the 5 stages of grief is pretty compelling though. I mean, Clocktown so obviously represents denial that I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't notice it before.

This article goes into more depth about this but it's not really some kind of alternative "LINK WAS DREAMING THE WHOLE TIME!"-style interpretation as much as it is a cool underlying theme/symbol they threw into the game. Majora's Mask is really all about death so it fits.

The entire LoZ series has been filled with metaphors, supernatural imagery and mythological folklore since its inception. Some of it might be lost on Western players but it's fairly interesting to see the level of thought put into each game. For instance, the seven sages can be traced back to the seven seers who helped Brahma create the universe while the Kokiri conjure up imagery of Peter Pan.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 7, 2014

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Wow whoever wrote this is REALLY good at making poo poo up

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

greatn posted:

If you save the bomb shop lady Yakon will not appear later on the third day to open his hideout.

I was 20 when Majoras Mask came out man.

You can use a glitch to get in to Sakon's hideout (I believe you clip through a crack in the door), but I don't know if it works if he isn't loaded on the map. If it did, though, then would it be possible to complete everything in one cycle?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

LightningSquid posted:

You can use a glitch to get in to Sakon's hideout (I believe you clip through a crack in the door), but I don't know if it works if he isn't loaded on the map. If it did, though, then would it be possible to complete everything in one cycle?

Would you be able to get through the obstacle course inside? That would be the main issue I would think.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Mog posted:

the Kokiri conjure up imagery of Peter Pan.

I mean did anybody honestly not notice this, though?

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

PantsBandit posted:

Would you be able to get through the obstacle course inside? That would be the main issue I would think.

Yeah, when you get into the hideout Kafei and everything else spawns normally. I believe that they showed it in ThornBrain's LP, he used the glitch to repeat the event after failing it and everything went as if he had entered via Sakon.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Can we please go back to talking about fin bras?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Dunban posted:

Give me a few more days to finish my thesis on the subject.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dunban posted:

I'm boycotting nintendo until they end this disgusting censorship.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dunban posted:

The fin bra represents deforestation.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The ritual for summoning supermechagodzilla to the thread is almost complete!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Blackheart posted:

The ritual for summoning supermechagodzilla to the thread is almost complete!

The correct ending of Link's Awakening would be for Link to join the nightmares and create a paradise for the common dream, free from the fascist control of the Wind Fish.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
The only interesting theory I've read about Majora's Mask is the one about the Stone Tower Temple existing to defile the goddesses.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

TBH I think all the different theories about Majora's Mask are pretty neat and it's real weird people get all upset about them. Relax

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

I mean did anybody honestly not notice this, though?

I... I didn't... :(

It makes a lot of loving sense, though.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

LAY-ZX posted:

quote:

Only by singing the tune born from her offspring, by reestablishing a connection to what was lost through vocal expression, can Lulu come out of her slump. In a way we can make yet another comparison to a type of maternal depression - that experienced by young mothers who have miscarried. The act of naming the lost child can lead to a sense of closure. Here, the act of singing - each note representing one of the eggs - accomplishes the same.

Inside the Great Bay Temple, Link also works to reconnect - though for him this is about redirecting water flow through the various pipes twisting throughout the dungeon. Inevitably, getting all the water flowing again restores life to the place, leading him to the final confrontation with Gyorg, during which he dives headfirst into that pool of tears and emerges victorious. His success is celebrated by a musical performance in the Zora Hall - a mirror to Lulu’s own performance of the New Wave Bossa Nova.
:pwn:

I'll second(third?) that it's dumb when people's go-to interpretations of fiction are "the stuff shown to happen didn't actually happen, it was ACTUALLY THIS OTHER THING WITH KINDA SIMILAR THEMES"

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Bicyclops posted:

Like, yes, death and loss are both central to MM and many of the important characters are ghosts experiencing regret but "Link is dead and processing his own grief over his death" is exceedingly boring. Link is always the player avatar and it's why he doesn't speak. "You're dead, learn to accept it" is not engaging fiction compared with a plethora of other interpretations.

I do like that child Link becomes a skull ghost filled with regret though, it's a funny little connection.

edit: To answer your question, one more interesting interpretation is that he is letting go of his experiences as adult Link and all of the friendships he formed, as they do not exist in his universe anywhere except in his head. He can no longer be the hero because instead, he warned the King and never got to have his adventures. He kind of had his life stolen away from him. Thematically, this also works for the player avatar, because "Let go of Ocarina of Time and the idea that we will ever explain why Navi flew away or where she went" works for both the player and Link.

I really like this. It also puts the Anju/Kafei quest, probably the biggest and most important sidequest in the game, in perspective. The parallel between Kafei being turned into a kid and Link was always fairly obvious, especially since (if I recall correctly) Kafei seems to be the closest thing to Termina's hero. This connection is enhanced by Kafei being controllable.

Anju's confusion at why Kafei disappeared could be seen as Link's adult side's confusion at what happened, and an inability to accept his true self for what it is. Kafei's deliberate hiding from Anju can be seen as his new non-heroic child self being unable to come to terms with his old Hero of Time adult life. By reuniting them you finally reconcile Link's life before Zelda's time fuckery and his new life where he's stuck as a kid. You can also see Anju as all the people Link met over his journey, and his desire for them to still love him even though he'll never meet most of them now -- though the entirety of Termina itself perhaps represents that better what with all the clones.

(Sidenote: I just noticed the similar color theming between Kafei and Ravio, when both of them are strong analogues for Link himself).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 8, 2014

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Majora's Mask has themes out the wazoo, and while it's possible to force everything into a single allegorical interpretation such as Link trying in vain to regain the symbol of his lost innocence, that allegory would still be less interesting than the particulars. The game is obviously about loss itself - loss of all kinds - and as a result it's deliberately vague on the point of what was lost. Link is there for the player to identify with, and what Link lost is the same sort of thing as whatever the player remembers losing. So you could say he lost his childhood, he lost his purpose, he lost his friend, he lost his life, and be right. Hell, the game starts in the Lost Woods - whatever he was looking for, what he really lost (and managed to find again) was himself, in his grief.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NA dudes, preorder costume info: OOT costumes are at Gamestop, TP costumes are at Amazon, SS costumes are probably at Best Buy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

loving hell, Best Buy? Worst choice.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dammit why you gonna make me shop at Best Buy for?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Gonna wait for the GOTY edition if that's the case.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

ImpAtom posted:

loving hell, Best Buy? Worst choice.

That's not confirmed, just a guess based on NOA's hardon for Best Buy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Aaaaagh what the gently caress is this garbage.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

NA dudes, preorder costume info: OOT costumes are at Gamestop, TP costumes are at Amazon, SS costumes are probably at Best Buy.

Really wanted to buy this digital. Now I may buy it at Best Buy or Gamestop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's no reason to think you won't be able to just buy the costumes later on.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

There's no reason to think you won't be able to just buy the costumes later on.

That's why I'm kind hoping they do a GOTY edition like they did with Sonic Lost Worlds. All the stuff they released was contained on the disc.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Aaaaagh what the gently caress is this garbage.

I really don't like this "exclusive content" horseshit at three different loving retailers.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
At the very least, I prefer exclusive costumes to exclusive weapons/levels.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Jsor posted:

At the very least, I prefer exclusive costumes to exclusive weapons/levels.

Yeah, they're just costumes, I don't see what the big deal is. Just pick your favorite and be content in the knowledge that the others will probably be made available later if you really need them.

e: On that note, are there any good comparison shots of all three DLC costume sets side-by-side?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

LAY-ZX posted:

now try this one http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/the_message_of_majoras_mask1

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Retailer exclusive outfits continue to be stupid as all hell more at 11.

Good thing I only care about the OoT Link outfit. Skyward Sword Zelda never really did anything for me and I found her kind of boring outside the intro so don't care that I'm missing out on that and HW link just looks like a cooler version of SS's.

Twilight Princess continues to look muddy so whatever.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TP costumes are the only ones I really care about and I was planning to order from Amazon anyway, so lucky me.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I'm just gonna sell my pre-order code on ebay and make some cash from obsessive Nintendo Nerds who need to have all the costumes.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

try living in europe where you don't even get the chance to get the retailer-exclusive poo poo

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

FutureFriend posted:

try living in europe where you don't even get the chance to get the retailer-exclusive poo poo
Is that confirmed? I was just assuming that they'd do something similar over here :shrug:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I remember a fat kid in my high school math class explaining how Majora's Mask was Link's dream during the seven years after he pulled the Master Sword--y'know, while Hyrule was going to poo poo and Rauru was piercing his ears or whatever. I never really bought it, but I thought it was a neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So if you buy from Nintendo direct on the eShop where they get the most money anyway, gently caress you.

• Locked thread