Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Visually this show is very fun but those CDC doctors need to die yesterday, they are really dragging down the show. New writers wouldn't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't think the stars of the show will be going anywhere.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

wormil posted:

Visually this show is very fun but those CDC doctors need to die yesterday, they are really dragging down the show. New writers wouldn't hurt either.

These characters are way more tolerable than those on Walking Dead.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GreenNight posted:

I don't think the stars of the show will be going anywhere.

That's really unfortunate.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

B.H. Facials posted:

Ebola is more tolerable than the characters on the walking dead

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

B.H. Facials posted:

That bar is buried incredibly low.

Everything related to the vampires is great but everything else is either lacking or a detraction. I'll keep watching if only to see more hilarious gore.

seymore
Jan 9, 2012

matrocious posted:

That bar is buried incredibly low.

Everything related to the vampires is great but everything else is either lacking or a detraction. I'll keep watching if only to see more hilarious gore.

Agreed.

This show has sort of odd pacing, kind of inconsistent characters, and some lame writing, but I still like it. More or less. I guess I will stick with it , hope that it doesn't implode.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
What would redeem this show is turning down the dialog because they lack a lead actor who makes it interesting and cranking up the weirdness and gross out stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

What would redeem this show is turning down the dialog because they lack a lead actor who makes it interesting and cranking up the weirdness and gross out stuff.

I think it's the writing not the acting. The dude was fine in the Kevin Spacey series.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
Daniel Day Lewis couldn't overshadow that hairpiece. It's all I stare at when that guy is on the screen unless something gross is happening. It's the most captivating inanimate object I've ever seen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
He needs to become infected quick so it goes away.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drifter posted:

I think it's the writing not the acting. The dude was fine in the Kevin Spacey series.

I've only seen him in House of Cards where he was only slightly more interesting. It's not that he's bad, just not lead material.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

matrocious posted:

Daniel Day Lewis couldn't overshadow that hairpiece. It's all I stare at when that guy is on the screen unless something gross is happening. It's the most captivating inanimate object I've ever seen.

It's quite possibly sentient.

I did miss Fet being on-screen n the last ep. Hopefully they will correct that on this upcoming Sunday.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wormil posted:

I've only seen him in House of Cards where he was only slightly more interesting. It's not that he's bad, just not lead material.

It took me 3+ episodes of HoC before I realized he wasn't Andre from The League

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

matrocious posted:

:v:

I don't THINK this is considered spoilery, but just in case: As the books go on, I felt they shifted focus from Eph to Gus and Fet quite a bit more. Eph is always a manchild though. You just notice it a bit less when Fet and Gus are doing crazy poo poo.

Zeronos
Aug 2, 2014
Really digging the show so far, but Christ. Yeah, Eph and his family drama is the weak link. Hoping poo poo smooths out, there's serious potential here.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

homo punching bag posted:

It took me 3+ episodes of HoC before I realized he wasn't Andre from The League

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fenZd-SrrVg

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeronos posted:

Really digging the show so far, but Christ. Yeah, Eph and his family drama is the weak link. Hoping poo poo smooths out, there's serious potential here.

As the show progresses I imagine we'll get more of the good stuff and less boring court scenes.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

etalian posted:

As the show progresses I imagine we'll get more of the good stuff and less boring court scenes.

In Eph's defense his wife seems like an insufferable oval office who condescends him at every turn and wasted little time in getting a new boyfriend after dumping Eph. I mean, in part she's got reason to condescend him, but mostly she just seems to like spiting him.

I mean, he's a loving CDC doctor for Christ's sake. He's still pretty annoying, but can't they cut him a little slack since oh, I don't know, he's one of the only people in Canada New York with the knowledge and experience to figure out a goddamn vampire epidemic?

e: I mean besides Struckian Setrankin Sedrunkian that Armenian guy?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 9, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

To be fair, he's been cheating on her, so at least she waited until after the breakup before she got a boyfriend.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

GreenNight posted:

To be fair, he's been cheating on her, so at least she waited until after the breakup before she got a boyfriend.

Was that in the books? Maybe I should read the books.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

GreenNight posted:

...she "announced" she had a boyfriend

Zeronos
Aug 2, 2014

etalian posted:

S'what I'm thinking, yeah. Fingers crossed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

spookygonk posted:

...she "announced" she had a boyfriend

Maybe she's not a totally insufferable oval office, but the show does go to great lengths (or greater lengths than it needs to) in order to sell you Eph's "poor fella, no one understands the weight on his shoulders" feeling and also his ex's apparent doucheness. It's almost like they WANT people to come to a conclusion as to why he cheated on her.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

life is killing me posted:

...the show does go to great lengths (or greater lengths than it needs to) in order to sell you... his ex's apparent doucheness.

Really? Cause I've only watched the show, and I wasn't under the impression that she's a douche at all. I mean, even the kid is skeptical about Eph's claims of change.

Can you give some examples of the show framing her as a douche?

Even working for the CDC, it's pretty clear that he has been an alcoholic who has been frequently ignoring his familial obligations, and you're seeing things after they reached the last straw.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 9, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

thexerox123 posted:

Really? Cause I've only watched the show, and I wasn't under the impression that she's a douche at all. I mean, even the kid is skeptical about Eph's claims of change.

Yeah, it seems she's cut him as much slack as she possibly could, but he keeps reneging on his responsibilities.

People are funny calling her a passive aggressive or whatever bitch. She's just tired of his same old poo poo and can't give a gently caress anymore.

As for what led up to now, maybe she was a horrible human being and Eph's actions are more understandable as someone who's retreated into other aspects of his life - although we literally don't know what came before -, but her actions that we can see don't paint her in a bad light.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

thexerox123 posted:

Well, it's mostly just the fact that all the vamp disease virus parasite poo poo is going on, and she's making it all about her and the kid. Granted, yes, Eph is being a bigger douche in that regard by fighting to get his kid more often when he knows he won't have time for it, but at the same time it gives off the impression that it's not understood that he researches and fights deadly (or undeadly?) epidemics for a goddamn living, it's what he does.

You know what? I take it back. He is the bigger douche. I can't even support my own argument because there's nothing there.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
It seems bad to the audience because we know there's a vampire epidemic and she's giving him grief for being late to custody hearings and stuff. Thing is of course that she doesn't know that, it's just more of Eph and his Very Important Job that means he's never around.

Eph seems to me to be one of those people who's heart is more or less in the right place but also can't help from making pretty terrible decisions all the time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

life is killing me posted:

Was that in the books? Maybe I should read the books.

Beats me, I never read the books.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Basically a guy who kills rats for a living in more likabable like Eph.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

etalian posted:

Basically a guy who kills rats for a living in more likabable like Eph.

Well it is fiction.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Just finished book two. I am curious to see if the show is going down that route. I hope they do but it is a pretty big ending. i like the book characters more so than the TV ones although I think that is just because you get to know more about them in the book.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pendergast posted:

Just finished book two. I am curious to see if the show is going down that route. I hope they do but it is a pretty big ending. i like the book characters more so than the TV ones although I think that is just because you get to know more about them in the book.

How would you rate the books to the series so far?

Is one more entertaining than the other?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I finished book 3 a few weeks ago and the show and books are really similar. I was worried they would cut the most interesting parts of the book the flashbacks to Setrakian's life but it seems tonight we will get that. The Amsterdam chapter is probably the best the books get, they are fairly poorly written vampire action series.

I guess the books are more interesting because you can easily binge through all 3 in a week and move on with your life. This show is planned to span 5-6 seasons.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I read the first book and the buildup was even slower than in the show. Can someone link a plot summary for books 2 and 3 please? I just want to know what happens next without waiting for years until the show gets there.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Senjuro posted:

I read the first book and the buildup was even slower than in the show. Can someone link a plot summary for books 2 and 3 please? I just want to know what happens next without waiting for years until the show gets there.

How the gently caress can the buildup be slower than a show? Do you read three pages a day?

Holy poo poo.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Drifter posted:

How the gently caress can the buildup be slower than a show? Do you read three pages a day?

Holy poo poo.

Obviously you can read a book as fast as you want but the amount of scenes where little to nothing happens is greater in the book than in the show.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Senjuro posted:

The Master and his vampires successfully take over New York
The other Ancients recruit Gus and his friends to hunt the Master's vampires
There is also another half-vampire son of the Master who joins Gus
Setrakian, Fet and crew hunt down an ancient book that has the birth sites of the Masters, which is important to know
Setrakian dies at the end of the 2nd book, trying to kill the Master. He only succeeds in poisoning the body so the Master adopts Bolivar's body
The Master with help of Eldritch Palmer has taken control of a bunch of nuclear power plants, and triggers them to meltdown. They happen to be built on top of the other Ancient's birth sites and the meltdowns destroy the birth sites, killing the other 6 Ancients (this is the only way to kill an Ancient)
The Master kills Eldritch Palmer
The Master kidnaps Zach but keeps him human. Not sure why except he plans on using Zach's body as his new host body later or something
Ephraim becomes even more idiotic

2 year time pass between 2nd and 3rd book. At the beginning of the 3rd book the Vampires have taken over the world. Zach has Stockholm syndrome and is into the Master. There's some backstory about how the Ancients are created from the torn-apart pieces of an Archangel that God was pissed at. The crew find a nuke and explode it at the Master's birth site. Ephraim and Zach die (both are pretty mentally hosed anyways) and Fet and Nora start a family. Gus dies too.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Cool. Thanks a bunch. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Get your own :mad:

• Locked thread