Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Kelfeftaf posted:

You're thinking of Cameron. Donna is Gordon's wife.

Cameron looks 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Gordon shaved what the gently caress he was my spirit animal.

I did like Donnas pigtails though.

I don't know why I watch this show. But I'll still probably watch season 2.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Gordon shaved what the gently caress he was my spirit animal.

I did like Donnas pigtails though.

I don't know why I watch this show. But I'll still probably watch season 2.

I (probably) have some bad news.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

JohnSherman posted:

Yeah...

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

OctoberBlues posted:

Someone please gif the cookie sad face.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Cameron looks acts 12.

Let's be honest about the real problems with her character.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Thanks! Something about that make me laugh every time...

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Do one of the pigtails

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

:stwoon:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Oh my... :allears:

I hope Kerry Bishé gets another show soon.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

AMC renewing mediocre-rated TURN was considered a surprise, and the finale of that had 3 times the total viewers that last Sunday's finale got.

Ratings for Sunday's finale were 570,000 total viewers, and demo is even worse looking. It's done.

Oh well, I lost interest before the end of the season anyway.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I'm sad how this turned out. It was like a perfect storm of stuff I should have been interested in, and the two episodes before the finale showed some promise. Writers came up with a cool premise, just couldn't follow through. :(

Cool Cherry Cream
Jun 15, 2013
The newbie binge watcher in The Walking Dead thread makes me think that this deserves a season 2 based on the pure stupidity that was tolerated for that show.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I'm sad how this turned out. It was like a perfect storm of stuff I should have been interested in, and the two episodes before the finale showed some promise. Writers came up with a cool premise, just couldn't follow through. :(

This is basically it. Seriously, 11 pages for the entirety of season 1 does not bode well, and I figure this site is pretty much the target audience.

:awesome: (this thread)

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hey the intro sequence and soundtrack were really good

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gail Wynand posted:

Hey the intro sequence and soundtrack were really good

Also the sets and outfits and general look were absolutely perfect and fit 80s Texas amazingly well.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Worst of all, the premise was really good.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I think they should have embraced the 80's more. I didn't see a single DeLorean, those punks from episode 2 (3?) were really lame, I didn't hear the word "rad" once, and there was no real montage or air punches / fist pumping.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Worst of all, the premise was really good.
It would have been better as a 4-5 episodes mini-series.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think they should have embraced the 80's more. I didn't see a single DeLorean, those punks from episode 2 (3?) were really lame, I didn't hear the word "rad" once, and there was no real montage or air punches / fist pumping.

I think I heard "rad" once in the COMDEX episode.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toplowtech posted:

It would have been better as a 4-5 episodes mini-series.
It would have been better as a 9-season series that was actually good.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
It would have been better if it was better.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

Meatwave posted:

It would have been better if it was better.

You're never satisfied, are you Joe?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Philip J Fry posted:

You're never satisfied, are you Joe?

Burn it all down

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
This thread is busier after the show finished.

That's not a good sign.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was enjoying the show for the most part, but god drat that se(ries)ason finale was really dumb.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Went through all of the season (well, series now I guess). What is so disappointing is that there was so much loving potential with this show. Ah well. I guess it doesn't help that one of the primary characters is one less sympathetic or likable than a serial killer.

edit: I still can't get past Lee Pace's eyebrows.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 11, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Gordon, Cameron and Joe could all be serial killers though.......though Joe is the most Batemanesque

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Joe was good in Guardians if the Galaxy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They hid his eyebrows so people could actually focus on what he was doing.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Joe played the guy from Assassin's Creed in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
There is nothing wrong with Lee Pace's eyebrows :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Went through all of the season (well, series now I guess). What is so disappointing is that there was so much loving potential with this show. Ah well. I guess it doesn't help that one of the primary characters is one less sympathetic or likable than a serial killer.

edit: I still can't get past Lee Pace's eyebrows.

I agree with this, as well as other comments in this thread.

The set design was great, the early 80s look, especially Donna and Gordon's house. So reminded me of friend's houses in the 80s.

Cameron the character (not the actress) shat me up the wall. Yes she was young and new to the industry, but doesn't mean she has to throw the baby out with the bath water each time someone goes against her ideas.

The character of Joe was something I think the writers could not work out what they wanted to do with. One minute he'd be stern and be a good guide for where the Giant was going to, the next episode he'd be indecisive and unable to decide who he wanted to back, either Gordon or Cameron.

I missed the Boz in the last couple of episodes.

One thing that annoyed me was the continual cliche of failure to fuel the show. Wiping the disks, the design of the Giant's casing, the Giant not starting up for most of Comdex and the ex-TI bloke making his own mock up. Just got on my nerves.

Also I think Cameron's OS idea sucked. Sure it might have been good for home use, but it would've been laughed out of businesses and governments.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

You Am I posted:

One thing that annoyed me was the continual cliche of failure to fuel the show. Wiping the disks, the design of the Giant's casing, the Giant not starting up for most of Comdex and the ex-TI bloke making his own mock up. Just got on my nerves.

This was by far the biggest failure of the show. The best episodes/scenes were ones that focused on the main characters, their passions, motivations, mistakes, hubris etc. Watching Gordon and Cameron commiserate over their ideas of what computers could be was amazing. Joe's slick business moves, sleeping with that one rich woman's boytoy and taunting her, his "this is the future speeches". Boz being the intransigent old school business guy who's converted, sides with the PC team, and teaches himself everything he needs to know to take the fall for the embellzement so Cameron, Joe, and Gordon can succeed.

All of that was great. It started to show the characters evolving from their first appearances and becoming something more then "80s IT cliche".

Then the finale undid all of it. Joe is still the same guy who trashed the IBM servers, only now he was seduced by Cameron's vision and tried to force her ideas into the product. Cameron has gone rogue and founded her own IT company planning to revolutionizing the world with the Internet, but still in love with some idiotic pipe dream that will mostly likely fail. Gordon is now the head of the PC project, has no idea what to do, and his last attempt to make a personal PC humiliated him.

Usually, a good show doesn't build up characters and plots, then reset to zero at the season end. That's either "we know we're getting a second season so skies the limit!" or "gently caress what do we do, just make them all act irrational and ruin their lives"

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

You Am I posted:

Also I think Cameron's OS idea sucked. Sure it might have been good for home use, but it would've been laughed out of businesses and governments.

They were specifically making a computer for home use anyway.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ApathyGifted posted:

They were specifically making a computer for home use anyway.

No they weren't. They were talking about using a computer on an airplane. Which implies business use. And They kept talking about lotus 123, a spreadsheet application.

Besides even for home use that conversational OS interaction would have been horrible.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

GutBomb posted:

No they weren't. They were talking about using a computer on an airplane. Which implies business use. And They kept talking about lotus 123, a spreadsheet application.

Besides even for home use that conversational OS interaction would have been horrible.

And they were mainly talking about getting it on store shelves, as in retail home-use. Business don't buy computers from from Wal-Mart.

Whereas people can easily use spreadsheets and word processors in their daily lives (even the secretary mentions writing a letter to her boyfriend). And considering Joe and Cameron talking about making it the future and all that crap, is it really far-fetched that they want to see personal computers on airplanes?

Maybe they want to sell some to businesses, but throughout the show they're constantly talking about keeping the prices down for the individual consumer, making it portable (what business will let you take your expensive work computer away from your desk back then without worrying about you stealing it), and a bunch of other crap that signals the fact they're looking at home users as their main market. Keep in mind that "IBM compatible" did not mean "business." One of the most common tests to prove IBM compatibility was the ability to run both Lotus 1-2-3 AND Microsoft Flight Simulator 1.0.

As for the OS being horrible for home use, this was the mid-80's. The technology was new enough to home consumers for them to be blown away by something that appeared to converse with you, even if it only took a second glance to see past the logic of how it was doing it. After all, Flight Simulator 1.0 was basically the pinnacle of graphics and interactivity at this point. Someone without the benefit of experiencing the last 20 years of computer technology advancing as we have would easily be duped into believing the computer was actually thinking about its responses.

rootphreak
May 16, 2008

HO HO HO
SPREAD EM FOR SANTA
drat, I think I'm glad I ignored the last two episodes.

UScr00ge
Mar 15, 2001

It's been renewed.

http://deadline.com/2014/08/halt-catch-fire-amc-second-season-822129/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Well, that's surprising.

• Locked thread