Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Dang, that's a good deal. I am probably going to get the Drill/Driver and the Impact driver for $99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

sbyers77 posted:

Dang, that's a good deal. I am probably going to get the Drill/Driver and the Impact driver for $99.

Yep, after looking again this is actually better than the Black Friday deal. I was thinking of the Makita kit which was a Drill / Drilver combo for $99, the Milwaukee kit was actually a cordless screwdriver / Impact combo. So this deal is definitely better.

I think i'm going to pick up a Drill and then take the right angle drill as my free tool. I like a good right angle tool.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ooh, that's a great deal. I already have a Bosch 18v cordless drill so I'm not sure I'd want that, but it looks like they also have some other combos going at the same time: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Tools-and-Hardware-Power-Tools-Milwaukee-Free-Tool-Promotion/N-5yc1vZc9u4

I'm interested in the angle drill, hackzall, oscillating tool, and hammer drill. Hmmm. It's too bad the drill is the only qualifying tool that comes with 2 batteries.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
In reference to Harbor Freight tools, my favorite blacksmithing hammer is my HF 3lb cross-pein sledge. I tried every 3lb hammer at every store I could get my hands on and the HF one felt the best in-hand. I ground and polished the face and I love love love it- leaves a clean, round dimple in hot steel every time. I can swing for 1-2 hours before my hand even starts to get tired.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

powderific posted:

Ooh, that's a great deal. I already have a Bosch 18v cordless drill so I'm not sure I'd want that, but it looks like they also have some other combos going at the same time: http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Tools-and-Hardware-Power-Tools-Milwaukee-Free-Tool-Promotion/N-5yc1vZc9u4

I'm interested in the angle drill, hackzall, oscillating tool, and hammer drill. Hmmm. It's too bad the drill is the only qualifying tool that comes with 2 batteries.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...26?N=5yc1vZc9u4

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nice. Looks like there are combos with the oscillating tool and angle drill as well. Now to decide which one would be the most useful.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ocilating tools are awesome especially for dealing with weird cuts.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

Ocilating tools are awesome especially for dealing with weird cuts.

Yup. Nothing makes a plunge cut like an oscillating tool.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got an oscillating tool a couple months ago as part of a tiling project, and it has paid for itself many times over with how easily and neatly it undercuts trim/door jambs. Does it just as neatly as a jamb saw, but can be used for stuff besides cutting jambs.
It has also been very handy for lopping off the baseboards that are stuck behind the permanently installed desk.

It's the best :allears:

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

Sointenly posted:

**Edit: this is actually better than the black Friday deal. I looked again and that was actually an impact and cordless screwdriver, not a drill which is what would be in this combo **

For anyone who was thinking about buying a cordless combo kit, now might be a good time. (Black Friday-ish prices)

Home Depot has a deal going on where you buy a qualifying Milwaukee M12 tool kit (single tool) and receive a 2nd qualifying tool (tool only / no battery) for free. There are a bunch of different tool combo's you can come out with, but the one that caught my eye is the Drill / Impact combination. For $99 you can come out with a 12v drill and 12v impact w/ 2 batteries and a charger. For those that remember, that combo at that price was ond of HD's big black Friday blow outs from last year.

To get that combo, you would go in store, purchse this drill and then request the Impact driver as your free tool. (The drill kit comes with the 2 batteries and charger)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-3-8-in-Drill-Driver-Kit-2407-22/204300706

Here's the flyer that I picked up from my local HD.

Good deal but for those considering, also factor in whether you want brushless (M12 Fuel)

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

kid sinister posted:

Yup. Nothing makes a plunge cut like an oscillating tool.

They can be very handy but I've had terrible luck with blades; they just get eaten up. Have had Bosch, Oshlun and no-names

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
do bosch and milwaukee 12v tools use the same batteries? sure looks like it.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

rotor posted:

welp:

quote:

I was about to dump off my Bosch lineup and would have done so if not for the Multimax, but then I figured out the Milwaukee M12 tools can be easily modifed to take the Bosch batts. The polarity of the battery contacts need to be reversed, the contacts sqeezed together just slightly and about a 1/2" of the tools' body needs to be cut off - all that and the Bosch batteries fit and latch right into the Milwaukee tools. It's given my Bosch batteries new life. Forgot to add - there's tiny tab on the Bosch batts that needs to be chiseled off to allow them to fit.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?163725-Milwaukee-M12-vs-Bosch-12-Max

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

rotor posted:

Most of the 12V tools use very similar looking packs (and all lithium tools use the same type of 18650 cell internally).

But none are actually compatible across brands.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I wonder why no one has stepped in with a cheap adapter for battery families? I know manufacturers may not want the quality of their tools judged on cheap lovely batteries but the lock-in is total bullshit.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
The daft battery lock-in is exactly the reason why I'm getting rid of all my 14.4v NiCad cordless tools and switching back to corded tools.
55 euro buys a loving mile and a half of extension cord and no fuss with compatibility for other brands or tools.

Hell Bosch O-type NiCad packs are 130 a pop these days. Which is a stupendous rip off.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

the wizards beard posted:

I wonder why no one has stepped in with a cheap adapter for battery families? I know manufacturers may not want the quality of their tools judged on cheap lovely batteries but the lock-in is total bullshit.

One reason: lithium packs are "smart" often with a serial communication protocol or other means of identification/design that may differ somewhat arbitrarily between vendors.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

asdf32 posted:

One reason: lithium packs are "smart" often with a serial communication protocol or other means of identification/design that may differ somewhat arbitrarily between vendors.

You're probably right. I doubt there is any real attempt at security but an ID is probably enough to keep out most users.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
My question is, why does no company sell a 120v adapter that just plugs into the battery slot so I can use my tools corded when need be?

Is there a technological issue? Are they just hoping I will purchase the corded and cordless models to address this issue?

Slugworth fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 10, 2014

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Slugworth posted:

My question is, why does no company sell a 120v adapter that just plugs into the battery slot so I can use my tools corded when need be?

Is there a technological issue? Are they just hoping I will purchase the corded and cordless models to address this issue?

You just need an 12v/18v/whateverV power supply capable of supplying the same amount of current as the battery. Quite a few write-ups online http://www.instructables.com/id/Cordless-Power-Tool-Conversion-18VDC-to-120240VAC/

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Slugworth posted:

One tricky thing is that batteries are actually well suited for tools because they can provide high amounts of current for short bursts. To mimic this with a power supply you'd need a pretty large expensive one sized for the worst case current draw. Certainly possible but not that practical.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

asdf32 posted:

One tricky thing is that batteries are actually well suited for tools because they can provide high amounts of current for short bursts. To mimic this with a power supply you'd need a pretty large expensive one sized for the worst case current draw. Certainly possible but not that practical.
I did some googling last night and found that Dewalt used to have one for their 24v line and that Greenlee has one for their 18v line. Both were about a hundred and fifty bucks, which I am not sure I would pay, so I guess most other people wouldn't either. Bummer.

Just so I understand - The issue is that cordless tools use much higher amperage than corded since they are lower voltage, right?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slugworth posted:

I did some googling last night and found that Dewalt used to have one for their 24v line and that Greenlee has one for their 18v line. Both were about a hundred and fifty bucks, which I am not sure I would pay, so I guess most other people wouldn't either. Bummer.

Just so I understand - The issue is that cordless tools use much higher amperage than corded since they are lower voltage, right?

Precisely. Lower voltage plus big inrush currents mean that batteries are the ticket.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Slugworth posted:

Sort of, tools in general are high power and if you want to convert lots of power from one form to another (AC to DC in this case) it's expensive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
As an example, a high quality computer power supply of say 850W is between $150 to $200 in a highly competitive market, is a pretty large physical size and requires hefty active cooling even though it's a box full of holes.

One can imagine that a properly designed version for power tool usage, with a much smaller market, needing some fairly long high-gauge wiring due to the low voltage, would cost significantly more.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Ehhh, they aren't exactly designed for the same purpose, though. If you wanted to make a cheap, super lovely, high peak current + high ripple supply, you could do so reasonably easily with a small transformer and a single Igbt. Probably $35 in volume. If you wanted to be super aggressive, you could do something like straight rectify the wall and switch with a large capacitor after.

I've been tempted to try to make such a thing and market it, but the reality is that I am not sure there is much of a market for such things.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Tim Thomas posted:

Ehhh, they aren't exactly designed for the same purpose, though. If you wanted to make a cheap, super lovely, high peak current + high ripple supply, you could do so reasonably easily with a small transformer and a single Igbt. Probably $35 in volume. If you wanted to be super aggressive, you could do something like straight rectify the wall and switch with a large capacitor after.

I've been tempted to try to make such a thing and market it, but the reality is that I am not sure there is much of a market for such things.

I don't think you're going to get high enough amounts of current from a small transformer. Google says cordless drills can pull over 20A continuously. You're probably looking at 10-20 lbs of iron. SMPSs are probably a better solution.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
If I were to purchase the M12 deal @ Home Depot, would you recommend getting the Hammer Drill + Impact combo or the regular drill + Impact combo, with the thought that the hammer drill can be used in regular drill mode, effectively giving you 3 tools in one vs just 2 with buying the regular drill kit?

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

dhrusis posted:

If I were to purchase the M12 deal @ Home Depot, would you recommend getting the Hammer Drill + Impact combo or the regular drill + Impact combo, with the thought that the hammer drill can be used in regular drill mode, effectively giving you 3 tools in one vs just 2 with buying the regular drill kit?

I don't think the hammer drill is included in the promotion.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's not. I do definitely need the hammer part of the hammer drill so I wound up buying a hackzall and bare hammerdrill and just getting the free extended battery. I figure with the hackzall an extended battery will probably come in handy.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

powderific posted:

It's not. I do definitely need the hammer part of the hammer drill so I wound up buying a hackzall and bare hammerdrill and just getting the free extended battery. I figure with the hackzall an extended battery will probably come in handy.

Watch youtube reviews before you commit to the Hackzall. If you are getting it thinking that it's going to take the place of a 18/20v sawzall I think you might be disappointed. On the other hand, if you cut a lot of PVC or other soft / small stuff it might be cool to have.

Personally, I think the best bet here is the Drill with either the Impact driver or the right angle drill. The drill kit comes with 2 batteries, which is sort of a big deal unless you already have a bunch of M12 batteries laying around.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I tried out the RAD since it seemed handy but kindof hated it. My hands might be too danty as it was way uncomfortable for me.

What's wrong with the hackzall, not enough power? Already bought it since I thought some people here liked it and I wanted it to help break down some stuff last night. So far it seems to have enough go for my needs. I'm definitely not doing major construction/demolition work though.

Totally agree that the drill + impact is the best deal by far. I just have an 18v drill/impact bosch set that I like already and this gets me a bit of variety.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

powderific posted:

I tried out the RAD since it seemed handy but kindof hated it. My hands might be too danty as it was way uncomfortable for me.

What's wrong with the hackzall, not enough power? Already bought it since I thought some people here liked it and I wanted it to help break down some stuff last night. So far it seems to have enough go for my needs. I'm definitely not doing major construction/demolition work though.

Totally agree that the drill + impact is the best deal by far. I just have an 18v drill/impact bosch set that I like already and this gets me a bit of variety.

I was actually planning on getting until I watched couple of youtube reviews. Most of the guys had the same complaint, that it was under powered and chewed through the standard m12 batteries to quickly.

That being said, these guys were testing it against full size Sawzall's. For instance, the guy talked about dismantling a pallet with the M12 and only getting about 1/3 of the way through it before he had to swap batteries.

I could still see it being a cool tool as long as it's for lighter duty.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
You guys want to know one use battery powered reciprocating saws are perfect for? Pruning trees. Any branch 3" in diameter and under is fine for them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone know if the small Bosch IXO screw driver is any good, or something similar to it? It's my dad's birthday and he really likes my little 3.6v Li-ion screw driver (parkside) and commented on how nice and useful it was, but sadly I can't find it anymore as Lidl (where I bought it) never stocks these things regularly. So I am looking for some sort of equivalent and the little Bosch IXO looks like maybe it can fit the bill.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone know if the small Bosch IXO screw driver is any good, or something similar to it? It's my dad's birthday and he really likes my little 3.6v Li-ion screw driver (parkside) and commented on how nice and useful it was, but sadly I can't find it anymore as Lidl (where I bought it) never stocks these things regularly. So I am looking for some sort of equivalent and the little Bosch IXO looks like maybe it can fit the bill.
We use ixos at work for things like book scews. At low power jobs like that they'll do 200 odd screws before running out of juice.

For more "intensive" jobs they will probably not last that long. Driving 4x60 self tapping screws into wood requires more torque than the tiny ones can put out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Yeah he's got several larger and stronger drills and stuff, he just liked this little one as it's so good so many small jobs, which is what is is 90% of the time.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

kid sinister posted:

You guys want to know one use battery powered reciprocating saws are perfect for? Pruning trees. Any branch 3" in diameter and under is fine for them.

Cut up a tree with my brothers doing this. They dropped a full live tree with chainsaws and started cutting anything larger than 2" while I followed and removed all branches. Each of my 18v batteries lasted 20-30 minutes, so I kept a few on charger rotation. Whole 75 foot tree was cut to length, sorted and hauled in a couple hours. The only evidence was a pile of green leaves.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Hey guys, I want a table saw. What do you think about this for buying new? I could buy something from Craigslist or a pawn shop, but I don't want to deal with things not working and not having the latest safety devices.

Is the lack of a dado capacity a big deal? Thats the only thing people say is bad about this unit.

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW745-10-Inch-Job-Site-Capacity/dp/B000HXT2N6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

dhrusis posted:

Hey guys, I want a table saw.

For handygoon projects or woodworking like building furniture? Those portable jobsite saws are fine for the former but for the latter you want a bigger table and quality fence. Really it boils down to what you will do with it.