Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
So for Ryze you should always go for Manamune, all of his spells are single target and he doesn't use ap, but does want to auto between abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Ezreal doesn't have to worry about a bad legendary skin

E; actually they could speed up some his animations

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I'm not taking the bait Master Windu.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Libertine posted:

The toggle allows him to deal mixed damage, which is difficult to itemize against.

For reference, his ap ratios are worse than Leona's.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Do people really not like that Udyr skin? I think it kind of owns.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Sexpansion posted:

It should have been the VU.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Sexpansion posted:

It is a good skin, i just personally don't think it was worth the time and effort they spent to make it. It isn't significantly better than the skin where he gets an animal head for each form, for example.

Also what Brannock said. His default skin is so garbage.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Brannock posted:

I can at least agree with this. I really like Spiritguard Udyr, but looking at basic Udyr is almost painful after using it. The two are almost nothing alike, base Udyr has more in common with Rammus, come on Riot.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

Manamune Ryze as a joke seems pretty fun, but there's no way he's serious.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Sexpansion posted:

Manamune Ryze as a joke seems pretty fun, but there's no way he's serious.

Muramana on ryze is not so bad, if your team somehow has too much ap on it.

I can't say for sure now but back when muramana was first out, it was actually flat out better than its' ap counterpart in every way, minus the shield. This may be outdated.

For once, gowby isn't trolling I think??

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Also what Brannock said. His default skin is so garbage.

You take that the gently caress back. Default Hobodyr is still the best Udyr.

Also I remember the patch when they first introduced muramana and it dealt magic damage and procced on each hit of Syndra's ult and Ahri's W. That was a fun patch. I think it only procs once for those spells now, but I haven't actually checked in a while.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Ryze hasn't wanted Manamune since they ganked his mana ratios and upped his AP ratios. His AP ratios are low because you cast each spell between two to seven times. Don't be a gowby goober.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Tonetta posted:

Muramana on ryze is not so bad, if your team somehow has too much ap on it.

I can't say for sure now but back when muramana was first out, it was actually flat out better than its' ap counterpart in every way, minus the shield. This may be outdated.

For once, gowby isn't trolling I think??

It's not that it's terrible, per say, but that Seraph's is so much better for Ryze in every way that I can't imagine ever building Manamune except as a novelty build.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Sexpansion posted:

All of Udyr's skins are the exact same thing: Udyr Udyr.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

When they eventually VU Udyr, what the gently caress will do they for SG Durrdyr?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Did you know that Yorick has a 1.0 AP Ratio on his W and deals mostly magic damage? Better start building AP Yorick.

Flipswitch posted:

When they eventually VU Udyr, what the gently caress will do they for SG Durrdyr?

The same thing they did for Steel Legion Garen.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

All of Udyr's skins are the exact same thing: Udyr Udyr.

Udyr's one of the hardest champions to make skins for because he's got a billion effects, and its really hard to make anything other than a troll skin out of it because he's pretty visually unique already.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Darth Windu posted:

Not true.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Bleu posted:

Ryze hasn't wanted Manamune since they ganked his mana ratios and upped his AP ratios. His AP ratios are low because you cast each spell between two to seven times. Don't be a gowby goober.

The comparison that is to be made is whether the additional ap from seraphs is more damsge than the active on each q and w plus auto weaving.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

For the people that haven't been around forever. The reason some of the older champions have goofy AP gimmicks even though they're AD is because they used to use AP as a gimpy scaling mechanic. So instead of using math to figure out actual AD or base scaling they just slapped on an AP ratio because they never figured anyone would build it on them.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Darth Windu posted:

I know this is just a troll but people actually believe this is relevant.

League players are so loving bad at basic math.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Ryze's ult doesn't have an AP ratio.

Checkmate atheists.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Invalid Validation posted:

For the people that haven't been around forever. The reason some of the older champions have goofy AP gimmicks even though they're AD is because they used to use AP as a gimpy scaling mechanic. So instead of using math to figure out actual AD or base scaling they just slapped on an AP ratio because they never figured anyone would build it on them.

I really, really like alternate AP builds on champs that make them have totally different skill priorities, but Riot doesn't seem to like them. :(

I mean, I guess they don't want to have AP Yi again, but still. :(

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

theflyingorc posted:

I really, really like alternate AP builds on champs that make them have totally different skill priorities, but Riot doesn't seem to like them. :(

I think my biggest complaint is when stuff does magic damage scaling off AD.

And true damage.

gently caress true damage.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

theflyingorc posted:

RIP, hilarious alpha strike image following through a flash way offscreen to get a kill.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

VHGS posted:

Ryze's ult doesn't have an AP ratio.

Checkmate atheists.

Ryze's ult is an AP ratio multiplier due to splash damage, check mated again

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Spudalicious posted:

RIP, hilarious alpha strike image following through a flash way offscreen to get a kill.

I remember Mikujin obliterating people as AP Yi. :smith:

Also FattyPies going balls deep as SpeedPony.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I remember Mikujin obliterating people as AP Yi. :smith:

Also FattyPies going balls deep as SpeedPony.

Theres some goon videos of me hidden somewhere of my ap yi days, I wish for them to return every gaming session.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Brannock posted:

Yeah, but it is still pretty rad. I always learn something goofy and new about the skin. For example, without ever taking a stance his auto attack is super sad looking. And if he taunts without any points in anything he poses, waits for a badass animal avatar, nothing comes and he shakes his head totally crestfallen.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Libertine posted:

Come at me.

Both Muramana and Archangel's gives Ryze 1000 mana. At 18, Ryze has 1240 base mana, and with a build of Frozen Heart (400) + Rod of Ages (650) as his other two mana items he has an additional 2105 mana for 3290 mana. (I'm assuming that he has boots, Void Staff, and a non-mana defensive item like Banshee's, Spirit Visage, or WotA as his other three items.) I'm not going to bother taking in account mana from runes or masteries.

Archangel's Staff gives Ryze 60 AP base (and a shield active), and 3% of his maximum mana from other items. Archangel's passive gives him 98.7 AP from that mana pool for a total of 158.7 AP from Archangel's Staff.

Ryze has AP ratios of: 0.4, 0.6, and 0.35 (multi target). That last one hits six times, but you can't control which targets it'll hit, so let's say it hits your desired target twice for purposes of this calculation for a 0.7 AP ratio. A single cycle of Ryze's combo thus applies 170% of his AP as bonus damage. Ryze gains 269.79 magic damage from Archangel's Staff.

Muramana instead adds 25 base AD and 2% of mana as AD: 65.8 for 90.8 AD. Muramana also allows Ryze to burn additional mana to deal physical damage: 3% of his current mana to deal double physical damage in mana burnt. At full mana, Ryze will deal 197 additional physical damage with an attack or Q/W. At 95% mana, 187. At 90% mana, 177. 85%, 167. 80%, 158. 75%, 148. 70%, 138. 65%, 128. 60%, 118. 55%, 108. At half mana Ryze will deal 98.7 additional physical damage. Ryze is getting an enormous amount of additional single-target damage from Muramana, damage that also gets splashed (further increasing Muramana's mana efficiency!) when Desperate Power is active.

Those numbers obviously scale down quickly, especially as Ryze cycles through spells very quickly and has moderate mana costs on his Q/W/E. That said, as we've learned through multiple seasons of the League of Legends, upfront burst wins engagements and Muramana excels at burst.

This gets complicated somewhat by Ryze typically building a Void Staff and Sorceror's Shoes making its 267 magic damage better in comparison to the Muramana burst -- as well as Spell Flux reducing MR. On the other hand, enemies building against Ryze will favor building resist. On the other other hand, if the other members of Ryze's team are AD and are also threatening enough you'll see plenty of armor being built, devaluing Muramana. On the foot, Muramana dumps Ryze's mana very quickly and he may not be able to do more than two engagements without having to pill. On the other foot, the increased damage output means that Ryze probably doesn't need to do more than two engagements. And on the other *points to dilznick* AA gives Ryze a shield that can let him survive some burst, although how valuable this is when Ryze gets a shitload of spellvamp and is already really beefy with this item build isn't always clear.

Note that the +91 AD is still valuable to Ryze even if he's out of mana, whereas the 159 AP doesn't do anything for him in that situation. The +91 AD is also much better for hitting towers.

My conclusion is build Muramana if the enemy is stacking too much resist, and build Archangel's Staff if the enemy is stacking armor.

Jerkface posted:

Ryze's ult is an AP ratio multiplier due to splash damage, check mated again

Ryze's ult is a damage multiplier. It amplifies all of his scalars: CDR, Mana, AP, and Muramana.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He has a bunch of champion specific lines too.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
The shield on Seraph's is way too good on Ryze though, especially considering the fact that you're always going to be taking damage on that champion.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Minor correction to my post: Ryze has just enough AP with the non-Muramana build that the damage differential on towers is negligible compared to the Muramana bonus AD.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Ryze's individual AP ratios on his skills aren't that great but they can't be high because he's basically a spell machine gun. He's going to hit you with like 12 spells in three seconds or some bullshit. He can Q -> E -> W -> Q somebody in one volley which has at least a 1.75 AP ratio overall, more if you get whacked by E more than once, on top of his mana ratios and the MR reduction from E. Individually the ratios are very "meh" but that's because he doesn't just hit you with on burst. He stands there and pummels you with spells as hard as he can.

That being said one of the funniest things to see is a double tear Ryze build fully stacked with like 5,000 mana. Why yes, I do have all of the shield and spells that deal all of the damage. Thanks for noticing!

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Brannock posted:

Muramana Ryze :words:

While I appreciate the effort, it's very clearly not worthy of debate that Seraph/AA is a better item on Ryze. As a front line mage he needs the shield. As a caster with 3 AP/mana hybrid ratio abilities he's probably the single best champion in the game for the AA staff. Probably the only champion in the game that should ever build the AA staff. Should just call it Ryze's Crystal Scepter. He has very middle of the pack base AD values, isn't going to build any other AD items which would synergize with Muramana, and so the activation of it is going to be completely useless.

Brannock posted:

Minor correction to my post: Ryze has just enough AP with the non-Muramana build that the damage differential on towers is negligible compared to the Muramana bonus AD.

Ryze isn't for killing towers. At no point should you concern your item build on him with that aspect of gameplay. He soaks AND pours out damage in fights with tons of AOE, lockdown, spell vamp, and utility. If you were really obsessed with the idea of tower killing you could go for a 5th item Lich Bane or something but that would still be dumb because Ryze just isn't any good at killing towers.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Udyr's one of the hardest champions to make skins for because he's got a billion effects, and its really hard to make anything other than a troll skin out of it because he's pretty visually unique already.

Saturday Morning Udyr, where he looks like He-Man and shouts out lines like "BY THE POWER OF TEN TIGERS" as he smashes people with his animal forms.

Kung-Fu Master Udyr, he looks like an old chinese martial arts master and strikes cheesy animal poses for all his move sets and has special lines for fighting rival martial arts characters like lee sin.

Fire Udyr because apparently that sells.

Prototype Udyr, he's a robot and transforms into things.

Heavyweight Udyr, he wears a huge belt and some sweet shades and boxes the poo poo out of people.

There are a million things Riot could do with Udyr skins beyond "hoboman wearing animal pelts #5".

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Saturday Morning Udyr, where he looks like He-Man and shouts out lines like "BY THE POWER OF TEN TIGERS" as he smashes people with his animal forms.

Kung-Fu Master Udyr, he looks like an old chinese martial arts master and strikes cheesy animal poses for all his move sets and has special lines for fighting rival martial arts characters like lee sin.

Fire Udyr because apparently that sells.

Prototype Udyr, he's a robot and transforms into things.

Heavyweight Udyr, he wears a huge belt and some sweet shades and boxes the poo poo out of people.

There are a million things Riot could do with Udyr skins beyond "hoboman wearing animal pelts #5".

Reminder, we only get troll skins once a year now.

The rest are Super Serious.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Soulstealer Zookeeper Udyr, he keeps all four animals on leashes around him which rotate around him like the Face of the Mountain spell effect. When he calls one in a stance shift, he lets out an animal call befitting that style and then throws the leashed animal into him to absorb it's essence while gaining the effect.

Even if Udyr had a skin that cool you still couldn't pay me to play Udyr.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Libertine posted:

Soulstealer Zookeeper Udyr, he keeps all four animals on leashes around him which rotate around him like the Face of the Mountain spell effect. When he calls one in a stance shift, he lets out an animal call befitting that style and then throws the leashed animal into him to absorb it's essence while gaining the effect.

Even if Udyr had a skin that cool you still couldn't pay me to play Udyr.

TopUdyr was literally the best thing ever.

You just sat around, laughin' and slappin on Turtle skin for 20 minutes or so.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Even without items everyone's armor scales to become greater than their MR. Since Ryze does 99% of his damage as magic he's never going to build arpen or pick hybrid pen runes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I assumed you would just stay in bear form

• Locked thread