Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He's probably just talking about the pastebin I made.

Also Sanae got a lot of focus in FMW1 so it would be kind of weird if she just sat around for three more incidents before finally doing something. MoF is in fall while PCB is in spring anyways, so it works out chronologically.

edit: holy poo poo page 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

BlitzBlast posted:

Also Sanae got a lot of focus in FMW1 so it would be kind of weird if she just sat around for three more incidents before finally doing something. MoF is in fall while PCB is in spring anyways, so it works out chronologically.

The fact that there's a 6 month gap in the middle of the game makes the whole thing even weirder, honestly.
Personally, I had excepted her to do some more maneuvering in the background of a couple games before finally coming into the spotlight for the third or fourth game. Having the entirety of MoF at the very beginning of the second game just makes the whole thing feel pointless. Why'd they even bother with Sanae the first time around? It's not foreshadowing it it just happens immediately.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 5, 2014

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011

Clarste posted:

The fact that there's a 6 month gap in the middle of the game makes the whole thing even weirder, honestly.
Personally, I had excepted her to do some more maneuvering in the background of a couple games before finally coming into the spotlight for the third or fourth game. Having the entirety of MoF at the very beginning of the second game just makes the whole thing feel pointless. Why'd they even bother with Sanae the first time around? It's not foreshadowing it it just happens immediately.

It's not foreshadowing, they were just setting up for it (and also stretching out the first game which was rather lacking content-wise as it hadn't had any time to set anything up beforehand like the games from here on do). Beyond that, the weird order they're doing actually does make sense if you look at the casts of each game, though I don't know exactly what would count as being too spoilery so I'll be vague. Basically, they need to do 6-9 in order, and they need to do 10-12 in order, with 11 coming after 7. So, unless they would just do every game in order (which would be boring and a waste of the premise), putting Mountain of Faith in with Perfect Cherry Blossom is actually exactly what they needed to do.

Hikarusa fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 5, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oops, I meant to type 'pastebin,' not patch, yeah. My bad. When I'm talking about trnaslation I guess my fingers just default to patch.

Anyway, the pastebin is still perfectly fine. It takes a couple of stages to figure out what buttons are what, and that's about it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

I don't think it was meant to be foreshadowing though. I feel like the way they're making the games is to first get the background details of a few Touhou titles out of the way and have them appear proper in the next game. FMW E had the beginnings of MOF and PCB with the Sanae stuff, and with Youmu studying for a way to make cherry blossoms bloom. And this game looks like it sets up for UFO and IN by having Nazrin and Mokou show up.

FANSean
Nov 9, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

You say that as if SRW geeks hadn't run the "symmetrical docking" joke into the ground years ago...

Wasn't there a popularity poll where Daiyousei ended up right between the Aki Sisters? I figured that was the joke instead of some kind of symmetrical docking reference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FANSean posted:

Wasn't there a popularity poll where Daiyousei ended up right between the Aki Sisters? I figured that was the joke instead of some kind of symmetrical docking reference.
Yeah, that's the joke, not anything weird.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

FANSean posted:

I guess that gives people an idea of just how far down the rabbit hole I am. :suicide:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There are actually like three save/quit conversations with the exact same joke, just for different Aki Sandwiches.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

BlitzBlast posted:

There are actually like three save/quit conversations with the exact same joke, just for different Aki Sandwiches.
I remember hearing something similar, but it was a Scarlet Sandwich since someone was voted right between Remilia and Flandre. Is this "sister sandwich" just... something that gets latched onto for some bizarre, possibly creepy reason?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Shei-kun posted:

I remember hearing something similar, but it was a Scarlet Sandwich since someone was voted right between Remilia and Flandre. Is this "sister sandwich" just... something that gets latched onto for some bizarre, possibly creepy reason?

It's just kind of funny since it happens every year. There are worse reasons to be memes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, I realize this fandom can be creepy, but you guys are kind of looking for it where it isn't. A character wound up between two obviously connected other characters in the popularity poll, despite having nothing to do with them. It's kinda funny. That's it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Hence why I said "possibly creepy." There's always the possibility, but it can also be because it's just a silly in-joke. Seems to be the latter, which makes plenty of sense to me.

Makes me happy to hear about it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There's been a disproportionate amount of IRL poo poo going down this month, so I only got to start on the next update last Monday. And, well, I chose a two week update schedule for a reason. :sweatdrop:

It's not all bad news though. I've finished translating the post-chapter section of chapter 17, subtitled the Aki Sisters' attack video (turn on closed captions), and threw together a quick behind the scenes update for those curious. I've also replaced the chapter 17 rough draft with a complete version.

------

All things considered, translating this game's script isn't as hard as much as it's tedious. The vast majority of the text is dialogue, and there aren't any crazy verbal tics or technobabble infodumps to tax my patience.

What there is, however, is something just as annoying: basic file security. The game's script is stored in a couple of these .dat files, and I have absolutely no way to access them.

And before you ask, I've already tried decompiling the game in Game Maker. There's nothing useful on the .exe and I don't have the necessary extensions to recompile the game so I can't do what the FMW1 guys did.

Since the direct path's out, I have to do things the hard way: take a screenshot of every single line of dialogue, transcribe each, then translate.

Even this has its share of problems though. First, Game Maker hates Fraps so to get decent images I have to change my monitor's resolution to 640 x 480.

Second, the japanese language and font size do not get along. Do you know what this kanji is?

It's the ma in mahou, magic. In order to get the character to fit in such a small space some details had to be lost, and unfortunately in japanese those details are pretty loving important. And this is a minor example; the really complicated kanji are just completely mangled by small font sizes.

Thankfully, there are numerous programs that exist solely to get around this issue. I personally use Kanji Tomo. It's not perfect though, so I have numerous fallbacks: a handwritten kanji dictionary, a find-kanji-by-radicals dictionary, and worst comes to worst a bog standard kanji dictionary.

Yukari posted:

そこは上手くやって頂戴。 人妖が団結して困難に立ち向かう事を私は肯定しているわ。 その結束は、幻想郷を襲う数多くの異変を戦い抜くための大きい力となることでしょう。
Once the text is transcribed, actual translation starts. Sometimes it's easy (you have no idea how much I appreciate lines that are solely ellipses :swoon:), sometimes it's loving Yukari or Yuyuko. If your browser fails to display that japanese, mess around with your encoding settings.

Yukari posted:

そこは上手くやって頂戴。 人妖が団結して困難に立ち向かう事を私は肯定しているわ。 その結束は、幻想郷を襲う数多くの異変を戦い抜くための大きい力となることでしょう。
That is skillfully reception. People youkai uniting difficulty fight against thing I am doing positive. That union, Gensokyo attack in great numbers incident fight surpass for the sake of large power become thing.
Step one is to read the original line, looking up any words I don't understand with an online dictionary. I used to write down probable meanings in a long stream of gibberish, but now I just keep it in my head.

Yukari posted:

What a skillful reception. I think people and youkai united and fighting against a difficult thing is good. And in case Gensokyo were to be attacked by a great number of incidents, a large power would be needed to surpass them.
Step two is to edit the english into a very literal translation. Right here is where my inexperience with the language comes the most into play; figures of speech, wordplay, and a lot of other stuff any japanese person would know go right over my head. This is probably the biggest reason a lot of fan translations read so dryly.

Yukari posted:

You're thinking too much. I just saw some humans and youkai working together and decided to lend a hand. But you know, if Gensokyo were to face an onslaught of incidents, I think a group like yours might be very useful.
The third step is to break out my knowledge of english. I'm going to be blunt here: direct, literal translations like the result of step two suck. English and japanese are very different languages, and a lot of the times poo poo just doesn't translate well. Ellipses abuse, honorifics, Metal Gear style parroting, idioms, puns, you name it, it's probably silly in english. In my opinion, you're better off dropping it entirely and substituting in an equivalent english response.

And of course sometimes I just can't understand it at all so I guess. v:shobon:v Those of you reading my rough drafts probably already knew that though.

Once I smash the sentence into shape, I read it out loud for step four. An important thing to remember is that this is all supposed to be dialogue. If it sounds awkward in speech, it needs to be reworded. Of course everyone has their own feelings on what's awkward or not (I know someone who honestly thinks long, contraction-less spiels filled with as many complicated words as possible is fine), but I'm the guy actually translating this so 90% of the time my opinion counts more. :v:

Step five is something just as crucial: context. Once again, this is dialogue. The personality of the character should influence my word choice (Yukari is smart so she gets "smart" words, Marisa is a tomboy so she speaks roughly, Cirno is a kid so she uses "dumb" words, etc), and the lines before and after the currently translated line should be taken into account. For example, this translation completely changed the first line to better respond to the preceding line's question.

The final step is something I'd ideally have another person for, but this is a solo project so oh well. A day or two later I come back and edit the entire thing for a sort of second opinion. Once I'm for sure done with the line, I delete the image and get started on the next one. I generally have around 300 lines per chapter, so I try to get 30 lines done a day.

If that all sounded like a pain in the rear end, it kind of is.

But at least it's not translating gunpla manuals. :suicide:

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
I can totally feel your pain.

quote:

そこは上手くやって頂戴。
Without knowing the context, I think this line means

somewhat literal translation posted:

I beg you to do it skillfully.

そこ here means "me"; 頂戴 is the humble word for "receive", but essentially means "please" here (the etymology of the word would be fun to talk about).

So, probably

quote:

Please put in your good work.

cuc fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 19, 2014

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

If that line's accurate, a good rewording would probably be something like "Please do a good job.", actually. Unless it's imperative in nature, in which case "do a good job" would fit better.

In context, though, it's probably closer to "keep up the good work".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Let's be honest, the only thing on Youkai Mountain's side at the end of the stage that would give the heroes pause is Aya.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sleep deprivation is a bitch, so I'll have to delay the postlogue again. At least my math class is ending next week, that should clear up some free time.
------

quote:

Scarlet Devil Mansion Main Gate
Music: Border of Regular and Irregular Days

Full Text

quote:

I'm bored.

We're back!

quote:

Scarlet Devil Mansion Kitchen
Music: Secret Mission

Full Text

quote:

I'm skipping work to slack off here.

quote:

Great Library

Full Text

quote:

Help us.

No.

Please help us.

Hmm, maybe.

Help us.

No.

What's up?

Help us.

Let me think... no.

------

quote:

Laying a Hand on the Scarlet Devil Mansion

Marisa posted:

Sheesh, why'd we even bother coming here?

Don't be like that. I can sympathize with not wanting to stick my nose into a troublesome situation.

I don't dislike trouble. But if you're going to bring some, make it more interesting. In any case, when you get back to the shrine, give Reimu my gree... huh?

What's wrong?

Something feels strange. Hah!

Remilia attacks a nearby bush,

and some crows pop out.

That's one of the youkai crows the tengu use!

So they were keeping tabs on us!

Hmm... it's rather weak. I knew it would be pointless for us to help. Hurry and clean up this mess.

I was gonna do that anyway!

Battle Conditions posted:

Victory: Defeat all enemies.
Defeat: All allies defeated.
Bonus: ???

This time the Bonus requirement is left blank. That's always a sign that there's more to this chapter than meets the eye.

This map is so huge that even fully zoomed out I can't fit the whole thing in one screen.

I'd like to keep the dream team together, but on Normal these crows are too passive to draw their attention by charging down the middle.

Music: Be a Shooting Star

Crows are kind of dodgy, but not to the point Marisa can't nail them.

The initial wave goes down without much fuss.

Well that's that.

You two were talking about mountain youkai, but those were just surveillance birds. And barely any at that.

Couldn't that mean we didn't find them all? Maybe you should have Patchouli scout out the are-

...!

And that's the cue for the actual enemy force of three tengus and a couple more crows to show up. There should be an image but I kind of... lost it? :downs:

That's some impressive magic you humans are using. But we're not as half-hearted as the crow tengu, our duty is to scout to the bitter end!

It's the tengu! Should have known the boss would be hiding.

So there really were tengu. But don't I have a gatekee-

Hey, wait up!

I get reinforcements too!

There you are, Meiling. And... oh my.

Please forgive me mistress, this lot suddenly flew over the gate so there... wasn't much I could do...

Meiling is kind of bad at her job.

Sorry for not keeping in touch, Remilia.

Ah, Alice and Marisa are here too. How have you been?

You two came here as well?

There's been quite a few guests today. I imagine Yuuka's doing well? But this isn't the time for that. You, tengu. You're quite brave to trespass on my property.

Remilia Scarlet, the lady of the Scarlet Devil Mansion. This matter does not concern you.

"Yeah we're spying, breaking and entering, and committing assault on your grounds, but it's nothing personal."

Doesn't concern me? You dogs are stinking up my garden.

...If you're trying to provoke me, I assume you are unaware of the might of the mountain youkai.

I see your bark isn't up to snuff yet. For youkai like you, I see no need to join in. Sakuya, are you here!?

Sakuya posted:

At your service. What's the meaning of all this noise?

Hey, that's a tengu over there. Something weird must be happening.

More guests have come. Now would be a good time for you to lend a hand. Show these rude intruders out of my estate.

Understood. After I set things in order here, I'll prepare hot water for tea.

Why should I help?

...is what I would say, but hey, maybe this is just fate.

Sakuya helped Komachi out at her job last game, so she's repaying the favor.

Sheesh, people are just popping up. They here to lend us a hand?

It would seem. How reassuring.

quote:

Bonus: Defeat all crows.

Now I can see the Bonus. Nothing too hard... on Normal.

All I'm going to say about Chapter 18M Lunatic is that Marisa and Alice are your only characters who can do poo poo.

The game was kind enough to start me off in a pincer formation, so may as well use it.

Sakuya has been revamped from her FMW1 appearance, and mostly for the better. Unfortunately she lost her Strike for Devote (restore 50 MP to an ally), which will be a real pain in the rear end later.

Once again, Normal AI isn't very aggressive. The only reason Tengu B is even fighting is because Meiling moved right into her range of attack.

Last time I was distracted by a conversation, but this time you're not getting away!

So the devil's servant wants to challenge us!

That pride will be the cause of your defeat!

Tengu B is pretty much Mass Produced Momiji.

Elly and Meiling both start with Support Defend, which is neat. Not so neat is Elly's lackluster defensive stats.

Anyway, why are Elly and Kurumi here? Don't tell me Yuuka's gonna waltz right in next.

Don't be ridiculous, we just came here to relax. But then something like this happened.

Oh yeah, could you tell us why we're fighting later?

The most Touhou line.

I'd like to know too.

By the way, I haven't seen you before. Are you a new maid?

She'd make a terrible maid. One slacker is more than enough.

Um, Sakuya? Are you talking about...

Whoa now, don't be rude. I'm Komachi Onozuka, a friend of Sakuya's.

Oh, so she's your friend.

Something wrong with that?

Of course not. In any case, we'll be counting on you.

Now that my reinforcements are here, there's no point to separating Marisa and Alice.

So Marisa jets to Alice's side while Sakuya and Komachi replace her on the left.

Music: Chinese Girl, Stand Guard!

And on the lower front, Meiling and Elly cast Strike then start the offensive.

Kurumi helps too. Her PS is Vampire, which absorbs 10% of the damage she deals. It's almost useless since she'll die to a stiff breeze anyway but I guess it'll be cool on Remilia/Flandre.

Music: Price of Life

We interupt your Shanghai Teahouse for THE BEST MUSIC IN THE GAME.

Okay so Price of Life isn't the best song anymore but I still really like it.

Sakuya and Marisa have the top half pretty well covered.

And Elly's holding up down below.

See, Elly's thing is that she's a pretty lovely tank at the start, even with five levels of Berserk. Unless somebody else is taking the blows, she's better off defending on enemy phase.

She's not even that great at Support Defending.

Meanwhile Meiling is basically immortal. Helpfully, all of the Tengus are grounded, which means her Searing Red Fist does bonus damage.

The next turn sees me focusing on the bonus.

I try to have Elly take down a Tengu too but...

I wasn't joking when I said she can't tank.

Sorry, everyone. I'll be heading back first.

I wondered if this was a sign I should have Meiling cast Guard (halve damage for a turn).

Hahahahaha of course not.

Even if every remaining enemy tries to kill her,

Meiling can take it. And this is with a -40% defense penalty!

It's time to start wrapping this chapter up. Sakuya, Marisa, and Alice move to the main front.

Meanwhile, Komachi activates her PS.

Way of Avici essentially gives her infinite range. Only two uses per chapter, but still really cool.

Of course the distance penalties total her accuracy and damage, so Ignore Distance is a priority purchase for her.

No, I don't know why Komachi doesn't start with Ignore Distance either.

Strike can take care of the accuracy at least.

I start the final turn by using the last of Meiling's SP on Guard. Now she can counter attack.

Alice also takes the chance to shoot down the last crow. :toot:

So you think you can beat us with only this many people?

Don't be so impertinent. For the likes of you, we are more than enough.

If you really think this is enough, you're gonna look pretty bad when we send you packing. Sheesh, there's a reason you had to come out in groups yesterday you know.

...You just don't know when to hold your tongue. I'll have to cut if off for you!

And Marisa Master Sparks Tengu B because why not?

Meiling drops her finisher too. At the moment it's the strongest attack I have.

One,

two,

thr-

Oh that jerk activated Shield Defense. Characters with that skill have a chance of Defending against enemy attacks, even if they chose to counter attack. It's a very handy skill for both the player and the enemy.

Might as well give Sakuya the final blow.

The human servant...! You should be cleaning the mansion!

Ah, but I am cleaning. I'm removing intruders with my knife.

Music: The Elegant Flower that Blooms at Night

Tengu B drops another Oni's Nail.

And that settles this battle.

Wasn't what I expected. Are all tengu as weak as you?

Guh, to lose to these fools...

Well what'd you expect when you came with barely anyone?

...I suppose what I heard about humans becoming stronger when they join forces was true after all.

But don't get full of yourselves. We of Youkai Mountain are far stronger than this!

How impressive. So, when will you show me this true power?

...Retreat.

She does.

Wow, that's the mistress for you. She was up against tengu and didn't even flinch.

Meiling you literally stood up against three tengu at once.

Of course. You can't expect me to be afraid of a mere underling.

But if it was just Marisa and I, we would have been in trouble. Let me thank you.

Ahahahahaha this is giving me Marisa Lunatic flashbacks. :suicide:

You were in trouble, don't worry about it. But I'd like to hear the full story while we relax.

In that case, I'm sure you're all tired after that battle so feel free to rest in the mansion. Sakuya, return to your work.

Of course, I'll start preparing everyone's tea immediately.

Since Elly was shot down, I get a penalty. I think it's Cost x 1000 points?

------

Now that the game has been paused, I hope you'll relax today as well.

Hey Meiling, is this guy too tired to play with me?

That's right. The player has his own issues too, so please don't bother him.

Boring! I'm still awake, I want to do something! All the bats underground are gone, I wanna play with you and Sakuya!

Um, that's... well, I'm at work right now so...

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 27, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Scarlet Devil Mansion

Full Text

quote:

Help us.

Okay.

Okay.

Sweet, an excuse to skip tomorrow too.

Meiling and I are too busy.

Not anymore. Go help them.

quote:

Misty Lake

Full Text

quote:

We got five people!

Hooray. You sure about fighting Nitori?

I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

quote:

Remilia's Room
Music: What's the Strategy?

Full Text

quote:

I want to play outside!

Not on my watch!

I get a cup of Sakuya's Tea for beating 18M. It restores 30 SP, which is really nice.

------

Even though FMW1 said that clearing Sakuya's story wouldn't carry over any bonuses, if you have clear data from Sakuya's route the SDM crew and Komachi will start with one upgrade in everything.

Meiling and Sakuya both see some Weapons upgrades,

and Elly grabs the rest in a desperate attempt to shore up her defenses.

She even throws on two Oni's Nails. Meiling takes the other two, Sakuya starts with a N-Shooter, so I just throw on a Rat's Tail, and Komachi gets Sakuya's Tea, because it's good to be able to guarantee she'll have enough SP to cast Strike on a Road of Avici buffed attack.

Skill-wise, Elly actually wants to nab Support Attack. Hell, everyone does, it's a great skill.

Kurumi already has Support Attack and Combo Attack though so she's as good as she'll ever get. May as well start stacking Range Up.

Finally, Sakuya changes her PS to Luna Dial, which increases the activation rate of Private Square by 10%. Said skill has been nerfed since FMW1 (50% chance to 25%), but being able to instantly dodge anything is still great and hilariously save scummable.

Sakuya Izayoi
Personality: Strong-willed (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Character Skill: Elegant (Reduces enemy crit rate to 0%), Parry, Private Square (25% chance to evade an enemy attack, does not prevent graze damage)
Personal Skills: Luna Dial (Increase Private Square's activation rate), Knife Collect (Attacks cost MP instead of ammo), Chief Maid (Chance of countering an opponent's attack. Stacks with Pattern Type.)
Spirits: Devote, Focus, Assail (use any non-MAP attack after moving, 22), Strike (30)

Now a fully-fledged player character, Sakuya's pretty interesting. Instead of outright dodging attacks like Reimu, she's built to nullify them entirely; every time she gets attacked, the enemy has to first roll against Parry, then Pattern Type (if you kept it on her), then Private Square, and then Sakuya's actual dodge rate. And chances are they'll have to get past Meiling too. I guess you could consider her a rogue, which works on another level because Sakuya's principal problem is her low damage. Most of her attacks work off her Ranged stat, and for whatever odd reason she's weaker than both Reimu and Marisa in that stat. Throw in a lack of damage buffs, and you end up with someone who can never seem to get a good hit in. Speaking of that, Strike getting replaced with Devote hurts her in the first half, but at least she gets Focus.
In the early editions of the game, Sakuya's finisher was glitched. Either the black and white effect didn't work, or the enemy sprite would disappear, or Sakuya herself disappeared. It took a couple patches for Sanbondo to fix it.

All Attacks
Boss theme: Distortion Dial (Luna Dial, Variable Formation)
Eternal Meek theme: Crumbling Silver Knife (The Young Descendant of Tepes)
Battle theme: The Elegant Flower That Blooms at Night (Flowering Night)

Meiling Hong
Personality: Strong-willed (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Personal Skills: Last Stand (Defense increases as HP decreases, stacks with Berserk), Qigong (Learn Shield Defense), Snooze (Learn HP Regen S), Quake Kick (Land terrain rating boosted to S), Gatekeeper (reduce damage taken while Support Defending)
Spirits: Guts, Guard, Strike, Spirit (22)

FMW2 throws a lot of tanks your way, but Meiling is the overall best. Comparing her to who we have now, she's not as support oriented as Keine or as speedy as Elly, but she takes and gives hits like a champ. She has great spirits, amazing Personal Skills, joins early, and is for all intents and purposes immortal. Her only real flaw is her low Move, but that's easy to fix. She even retains her friendship with Sakuya, though at only a 5% boost it's not much.
The japanese name of her Last Stand skill is a reference to a chinese proverb about a couple guys fighting to the death in a river. I don't quite remember. Also Qigong should technically be Hard Qigong or something like that? Man, I was kind of lazy with her PS translations.

All Attacks
Battle theme: Chinese Girl, Stand Guard! (Shanghai Teahouse, None Can Oppose Me)

Komachi Onozuka
Personality: Easy-going (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Evade: +2, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Character Skill: Parry
Personal Skills: Way of Avici (Attacks with ranges >= 3 have infinite range, limited uses), Slacker (Learn HP Regen M, -20 initial Power), Ferriage Toll (+10% Points from battle)
Spirits: Strike, Fury, Trust, Guard (23)

If I'm going to be honest, Komachi kind of blows. Her accuracy/evasion is mediocre, she's got a load of HP but not much defense, and her only real claim to fame is Way of Avici. But Way of Avici is really fun to use so I look past all that. And hey, her finisher has a S rank underwater! This is useful approximately once but it's something.
Slacker is literally "Fell Off the Road of Life" IIRC.

All Attacks
Battle theme: Price of Life (Higan Retour, Beat and Beat)
Battle theme arrange: Price of Life (Ibiza Style)

Elly and Kurumi are PC-98 characters so itomugi-kun doesn't care about them. No banners.

Elly
Character Skill: Parry
Personal Skills: Perdition (Critical rate increases as Elly gets closer to the target), Floor Tiles (Attacked enemy can not move for a turn, limited uses), Gatekeeper
Spirits: Vigor (Restore 30% of own health), Strike, Accel, Grit (21)

Elly sucks until she gets Grit. But once she learns it her survivability goes way up, as does her use; having a quasi-tank with Accel is surprisingly handy. Her finisher's not too shabby either. Too bad getting her to 21 requires practically dragging her through the events of MoF.
If you ask me who I'd rather baby through MoF between Cirno and Elly, I'd probably say Elly. Most of the time I just give up on both of them though.

All Attacks
Battle theme 1: Creeping Dreams (Perdition Crisis)
Battle theme 2: The Girl Guarding the Door of Dreams (Perdition Crisis, White Reflection)
Battle theme 1 arrange: Creeping Dreams (cobu style)

Kurumi
Personality: Easy-going (Hit: +1, Kill: +4, Get Hit: +1, Evade: +2, Ally Killed: +1, Graze: +1)
Personal Skills: Break the Sabbath (Attacked enemy can not Defend or Evade for a turn, limited uses), Night Owl (+20% Hit/Evade while in Night terrain), Vampire (Absorb some of damage dealt as HP)
Spirits: Cheer, Accel, Alert, Luck (23), Strike (31)

Walnut Kurumi is the worst character in the game. She's frail, inaccurate, not particularly strong, and basically only useful as a Support Attacker. Which she starts fully equipped for, so for the longest time I was willing to overlook all of that. And hey, Break the Sabbath is really useful on Hard/Lunatic! Not. The number of times preventing bosses from evading/defending from a turn is useful is practically zero, especially since Kurumi has to actually hit with her attack. Maybe she'll be better in FMW3 thanks to Night Owl, but I'm not holding my breath.
The translation for FMW1 really screwed up Kurumi's attack names for some reason.

All Attacks
Battle theme: Rise Above the Lake, Scarlet Phoneme

------

The game has been paused. Please take a break.

...I had no idea there was a human living deep in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost. This person seems to have distanced themselves from society, so Reimu's group is coldly demanded to leave.

But then the tengu make their presence known. What will happen next?

Now then, please have fun playing Chapter 18 of Fantasy Maiden Wars P: "Don't Lay a Hand on That Human"!

(Translation Rough Draft)

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 18, 2015

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Price of Life does in fact own.

Komachi looks fun to use and that's what counts.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Going back to every SRW enemy faction being overconfident morons: Sure, let's piss off the vampire who had no intention of involving herself in the first place. What could go wrong?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Hubris is pretty much Youkai Mountain's greatest flaw. They just had Marisa, Reimu, Alice, and Keine to deal with. Then they had to go and piss off every single one of their associates.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's good to see that Sakuya's character development from her story in FMW E seems to have stuck. Her characterisation for most of the first game kind of bothered me and it looks like she's become a more fun character now.

Also, Way of Avici looks like a really fun ability, and yet potentially nightmare-inducing if Komachi is ever battled as a boss in a POFV retelling.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 26, 2014

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I'm so glad you're doing this. I've found the first game to be a better gateway drug into the Touhou universe than the Touhou games themselves, and it broke my heart to see that the second game wasn't going to be playable in English anytime soon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I remember some guy on 4chan saying he would start working on an actual translation patch for FMW2 once FMW3 came out, but who knows how serious he was.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just realised that in Komachi's list of skills guard is mentioned twice. Was the second one meant to be a different skill, or did you just repeat it accidentally?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Whoops, fixed. I've finally gotten around to putting up 18M's postlogue too, so you can check those out if you want.

Somehow I made it through this chapter despite playing like poo poo. May miracles never cease.

------

quote:

Bamboo Forest of the Lost

Full Text

quote:

I'm trying to recruit my friend so she'll stop being a loner.

Hi.

Yo.

There's no way this can go wrong!

quote:

Forest Shack
Music: Secret Mission

Full Text

quote:

Screw off.

------

quote:

Don't Lay a Hand on That Human

I'm sorry, Reimu. If it helps, I don't think Mokou had any ill intent.

I get that. I don't even think she's wrong. It's a little pathetic, but that goddess does have a lot more faith than me. Maybe I should surrender the shrine after all.

:qq:

That's why we're gathering help, so you don't have to. Keep your spirits up.

...Reimu, don't feel sad.

Yeah~. Though maybe this is my chance for revenge?

Absolutely not! You have to be more gentle at times like this, Rumia.

Is that so? But wouldn't turning the tables be mo- huh?

Wh-what is it?

I think something's flying over there.

Enemies spawn in. including two crow tengu.

The shrine maiden's out at last. This is my chance!

One of whom immediately rushes to grab a picture. Hmm, taking a picture of someone taking a picture. How meta.

Eek?!

Hey, what was that?!

A crow tengu? This must be an ambush!

It's nothing like that, we were just ordered to monitor you.

Yeah. Though our duty ended up being a scoop our boss is going to love!

A scoop? Does that mean that everything we just said...

Ugh, they're such a pain. Go on, shoo!

I'll take a shot of that angry face too!

She takes more photos.

Y-you...!

Calm down, Reimu. It's pointless trying to talk to people like that.

Wise words internet browsers everywhere ignore.

Well, I guess it's the time for the usual danmaku battle. Let's beat them up~.

Well, you seem confident. I'd rather not start anything but...

It's fine, beating them at their own game will help fill out the article. "The Shrine Maiden Who Ran Away from the Mountain's Crushing Defeat to this Reporter!" This is going to be tomorrow's front page!

If you want a fight, then bring it on!

Battle Conditions posted:

Victory: Defeat Tengu A.
Defeat: All allies defeated.
Bonus: Defeat Tengu A last.

On Normal this chapter's pretty much of an interactive cutscene, but on Lunatic it's out to kill.

Music: Stalking the Night with a Cross

Rumia and Dai are dead weight without upgrades, and it's in my interest to keep Keine's health up so I land all three of them onto Mokou's house.

Reimu can handle things on her own anyways.

Though she needs to cast Focus on the first turn so the enemy danmaku fields don't cripple her.

Mokou posted:

Hmm? It's really noisy outsid-
Mokou takes a look out her window. Let's just ignore how my units are currently blocking them. :v:

That's a tengu! Are they looking for Keine and the others?

...Well, it's none of my business. I'll let them handle it.

The Reimu show continues.

Tengu A posted:

So is this all you can do? I was expecting more.
The plot kicks into motion at the start of turn 4.

Tch, looks like the usual strategy won't work on them.

You're not even hurt.

This is so boring. It won't make a good article at all.

...Hey, while we're chatting, what's with that dirty house over there? The humans came out of it, do you think someone lives there?

! They've noticed Mokou's house!

Now that you mention it, yeah. I haven't heard of anyone living in a place like this. So with that said... time to get my money shot!

That tengu's getting closer!

Keine posted:

I won't let you!
Keine moves to block Tengu A's path.

This house has nothing to do with us. Don't get it involved!

...What's with you? Don't get in the way of my scoop!

Tengu A slams Keine.

Music: Girls, Surpass the Carnage!

Guh!

K-Keine!

Hey, you can't take them on by yourself! Hold on a second, I'm heading ove-

No you don't!

The other tengu summons more crows.

Wow~, there's a lot more now.

I think we should teach you all a lesson. Don't get in the way of journalism!

Let me show you what happens when you do! Here we go!

Got it!

Then she flies across the screen,

and the two tengu slam Keine with a combination attack.

Uwaah!

Keine!

Please, run away! If this keeps up, you'll...

...No, I won't let them pass. No matter what, I won't let that human...

I won't let you lay even a finger on that human!

...You really do like people too much. You're protecting me even after I said all of those harsh words. Well, I guess it's because you're like that that I...

Alright then, this should be the final blow!

WHO COULD THIS BE posted:

Hold it!
How is she hiding her face?

Don't lay a hand on that human!

Music: Eternally Blazing Heart

In an amazing display of cutscene power,

Mokou cripples Tengu A. If you're curious, if you try and kill the tengu before this event starts, they'll just heal and start this event early.

She's so strong!

Y-you hit me... who are you?!

A health-crazed yakitori vendor.

Huh?

...Keine, stand aside. I'll handle the rest.

Mokou, why did you come out?! If these people write an article about you, yo-

I don't really care. They're picking a fight, so I'm going to wipe the floor with them.

Hey you, you hurt Keine. I'm going to make you regret that!

Woah, did she just say what I think she did?

Huh, she's straight to the point. Well, let me tell you this: the secret to a long life is to keep your head down!

:ironicat:

Sorry, but I don't need any secrets for a long life.

What?

Listen up, Hakurei shrine maiden. I'm going to help you, so get Keine out of here.

Don't joke around. I'm fighting too!

...Me too. You may not want the help, but I wouldn't be able to rest if I left you here alone.

Fine. Don't do anything reckless then.

Okay, let's start our counter attack!

Not that it matters since Tengu A just heals it all back.

Tengu A posted:

...Huh?
Mokou is almost as useless as Dai and Rumia, so she joins the group camping out on her house. I was hoping I was far enough away to draw Tengu A to come closer, but no dice.

Ehe~, I've really wanted to show up on a newspaper.

Well, I guess I can forge a joke story about a youkai as weak as you... How does "The Mysterious Darkness in Broad Daylight! Once It Swallows You, Where Do You Go?!" sound?

I'm surprised Keine even got into battle, because

here's the reason everyone crowded on the house: both tengus can cast Fury. This bypasses most defensive skills, particularly Support Defense.

Oh yeah, Rumia got a new finisher between games.

Music: Fluttering Food in the Night Sky

The name of the song is actually Dancing Food, but I like alliteration.

Somehow really easy to dodge bullets translates into taking a bite out of crime. Okay.

Music: Best Friends Atop the Silent Lake

It's a close call, but the turn ends with no casualties.

Blood is in the water now though, so even with Reimu here I'm probably going to lose Dai and Rumia.

Right now there are tons of enemies, but Keine only has two shots of Support Defend. So it's in my interest to get rid of as many enemies as possible to reduce the number of incoming attacks. But as Mokou will demonstrate,

characters without Strike have a really hard time hitting crows.

Reimu's hit OHKO territory. :getin:

:ohdear:

:negative:

Ci-Cirno... Eeeek!

Well there goes my main healer.

In hindsight, I should have had Reimu rush the other tengu earlier.

Crow tengus have a fairly high skill stat, so I don't get a single critical.

Also, in hindsight I totally forgot about Keine's Support Attack. I could have been getting off two extra Strike'd attacks a turn, the hell am I doing? :downs:

Rumia dodges a fatal attack, but dies from the graze damage anyways.

This is it for me. I'll head back and get something to eat~.

Reimu misses the other tengu. That pretty much seals Mokou's fate right there.

What's the matter with you? You're getting in the way of journalism!

Oh, so you're a reporter? Well whatever you are, bring it on.

Yep, she dies from graze damage. But guess what?

Mokou has an extra life! Only one, but that's still way more than anyone else.

The other tengu suicides on Keine, freeing Reimu up to do something else.

Mokou was about to die from graze damage again, but miraculously this crow "hit" on a 18% and triggered Support Defend.

It's a "smooth" path to victory from here. Mokou unfocuses and takes out this crow, and Reimu goes after the last generic enemy.

Mokou's unfocused now, so she can't die as long as Keine's next to her.

And Keine's not going to die any time soon.

Reimu somehow got hit by a 19%, so she chugs her bottle of Ginju Sake. Items in FMW2 can be used without sacrificing a turn, and are restocked between chapters. It's a much welcome change from FMW1.

Now then, how can I put you on the front page... how does "A Beautiful Maiden's Romantic Tryst in the Bamboo Forest of the Lost" sound?

Beautiful maiden? Ro-romantic tryst!?

H-hey! Don't say something so inappropriate!

Mokou's regenerated most of her HP, so Keine is the favored target now.

Just one more turn of positioning and I can end this.

Mokou and Keine drop both of my bombs,

Now then, how can I put you on the front page... how does "24 Hour Coverage of the Shrine Maiden! Can She Live Off Bamboo Shoots?!" sound?

Bamboo shoots aren't even in season!

and Reimu misses a Fantasy Seal. :argh:

Second time wasn't the charm either.

Tengu A didn't even try to evade Keine's Headbutt, so I already knew it wouldn't kill her.

:geno:

Keine saves the day at long last. I guess the AI isn't adjusted to account for absurdly high defenses.

:toot:

Keine levels up too. She gets Guard, which will be really handy later.

Tengu A drops another N-Shooter, which is way more useful than the Oni's Nail Marisa gets.

Guh, it hurts... shoot, my camera broke too! Sheesh, how did that happen?! Now I don't have any film to go with my scoop!

So your camera's broken, or something? I don't really get what you're saying, but you should be able to understand this: scram.

Grrr, I'll remember this!

Rumia posted:

Guess we scared her off.

Tengu A ditches.

...I didn't expect you to help us. I guess I'll thank you just this once.

Well I wasn't helping you. No thanks needed.

Sorry, Mokou. I ended up dragging you into this battle.

Don't worry about it. More importantly, let's get back to my house so I can fix you up.

------

I wonder why I was called here all of a sudden...

Oh! You're one of the people who came to beat me up last time!

Eh!? Cirno and I did come before but...

Hey girls, thanks for coming.

Marisa!

Oh, Marisa. Did you call us?

Why was my face even hidden? Well whatever. I called you two here to form a new combination, pronto.

Huh?

It's the great era of idols. So from now on this is a Mamco idol-raising game.

Mamco?

See, there's a contest to see who's the best idol in Gensokyo going on now. And if I'm producing you two, there's no way you'll lose.

I don't know what an idol is, but this sounds fun!

I guess I'm fine with it too...

(Now there's no way I'll lose to Merlin. That championship prize is mine! Only problem now is that there's no material left to continue this joke...)

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 18, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

quote:

Forest Shack
Music: What's the Strategy?

Full Text

quote:

Fine, I'll help.

------

Daiyousei
Personality: Cautious (Hit: +1, Miss: -1, Kill: +3, Get Hit: -1, Dodge: +2, Ally Killed: -1)
Character Skill: Heal (Restore HP to an adjacent ally. Costs MP.)
Personal Skills: Purity (Reduces MP cost of and boosts effect of Heal), Healer (Trust heals 500 more HP), Best Friend (activates Dai's friendship with Cirno), Go for it! (Boosts all stats)
Spirits: Trust, Cheer, Alert, Bless (26, cast Luck on an ally of your choice), Faith (38, fully restore the HP of an ally of your choice)

Still the healbot, still really good. Dai kind of got nerfed since Purity no longer zeroes MP cost, but who cares, not like she's running out.

Thanks to Go for it!, Dai can get some hilariously high stat boosts. You're never doing this without a billion games of NG+ though, and she still sucks in battle.

All Attacks
Battle theme: Best Friends Atop the Silent Lake (Lunate Elf)

Rumia
Character Skill: Shade (-1200 damage from lasers, costs 5 MP)
Personal Skills: Amplified Shade (Boosts effect of Shade), Darkness (Next enemy hit has -20% Hit rate for the turn, limited uses), Night (Panels surrounding Rumia are considered Night terrain)
Spirits: Vigor, Strike, Fury, Daunt (23, -10 Power from the enemy of your choice)

For some odd reason, Rumia is a 1.5 Cost character when by all means she should be a 2.0. This gives her the distinct honor of being the overall best 1.5, and she's not even that shabby as a 2.0 now that she actually starts with some skills. More plentiful funds make it easier to build her as a tank too. And she's the only character with Daunt, which is kind of sort of really good.
FMW3 bumped Rumia's cost to 2.0. I wonder if she was only 1.5 in this game because there isn't a single Night terrain chapter?

All Attacks
Battle theme: Stalking the Night with a Cross (Apparitions Stalk the Night)
Demarcation theme: Fluttering Food in the Night Sky (A Soul as Red as a Ground Cherry)

Mokou Fujiwara
Character Skill: HP Regenerate (M) (Restores 20% of max HP at the beginning of every turn)
Personal Skills: Revitalize (Once per chapter, if HP/MP/SP are all below 10%, they are restored to full), Resurrection (Once per chapter, if Mokou dies she comes back with 20% HP, 25% SP and +10 power), To the Death (Lose HP Regenerate (M), deal 10% more damage)
Spirits: Focus, Fury, Strike (16), Valor (30)

Mokou is another late bloomer. Her gimmick is that she comes with seven levels of both Berserk and Instinct Dodge, so the second she takes a hit (or more likely grazes, since her defenses are paper thin) she hulks out. Unfortunately her HP Regenerate (M) actively weakens this aspect of her, so it's not until she learns To The Death at level 24 that she can really cut loose. Which is fitting, I suppose. Resurrection is a fun thing to play with until she gets there at least. Like Keine, Mokou's finisher is disproportionately stronger than the rest of her attacks. I suppose that's how Sanbondo's working in IN's Last Spells.
To The Death is actually a reference to a chinese military strategy involving throwing soldiers at an obstacle until casualties reach a certain point. To The Death isn't really an appropriate translation of this, but I can't think of a snappy actual translation so I just made something up based on Mokou's personality and the ability's effects.

All Attacks
Battle theme: Eternally Blazing Heart (Reach for the Moon)

------

The game has been paused. Please take a break.

...Enough people have been gathered to invade Youkai Mountain. With my and Kourin's tactics, they're completely ready to go!

Now then, please have fun playing Chapter 19 of Fantasy Maiden Wars P: "Invasion! The Sacred Mountain of Autumn"!

(Translation Rough Draft)

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 11, 2014

Bart Roberts III
Jun 28, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

A health-crazed yakitori vendor.

:allears: I can already tell Mokou's going to fit in just fine around here.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh. It's weird that Mokou starts weak and takes a while to get powerful. If anything you'd think she'd start pretty overpowered, considering she's an extra stage boss. All of her personal skills look really interesting though.

Also, it's strange to see Reimu angsting about not being a good enough shrine maiden. I know self-doubt is one of the easiest ways to have character development, but it seems really forced when Reimu's the one being so self-conscious.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, it's strange to see Reimu angsting about not being a good enough shrine maiden. I know self-doubt is one of the easiest ways to have character development, but it seems really forced when Reimu's the one being so self-conscious.

To be fair, Reimu really is a poo poo shrine-maiden. In the normal sense, not the Touhou sense where the primary job of being a shrine-maiden is murder. A good writer could have sold it, but yeah, it's kinda forced here.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Rumia is really, really good in FMW2. Use her all day everyday.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

To The Death is actually a reference to a chinese military strategy involving throwing soldiers at an obstacle until casualties reach a certain point. To The Death isn't really an appropriate translation of this, but I can't think of a snappy actual translation so I just made something up based on Mokou's personality and the ability's effects.

I might say "Suicide Charge" based on the effects while still maintaining a reckless concern for own well being. Vaguely sounds like a military maneuver.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

I love how Rumia's finisher is just her taking a big bite out of the enemy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Reimu can quite literally solo every single Youkai Mountain invasion stage, the entire plot arc is kind of silly!

Krysmphoenix posted:

I might say "Suicide Charge" based on the effects while still maintaining a reckless concern for own well being. Vaguely sounds like a military maneuver.

The issue is that I have to get across the idea that you're not being entirely reckless, you're being crazy up until a certain line has been crossed.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh. It's weird that Mokou starts weak and takes a while to get powerful. If anything you'd think she'd start pretty overpowered, considering she's an extra stage boss. All of her personal skills look really interesting though.

Nah she's still great from the start, probably the best of the all-new characters actually. It's just you can't use her gimmick until she stops regenerating all of her health.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Maybe Mokou's last Personal Skill could be translated as "Climb Over Your Dead"? Something like that. When Life Gives You Corpses, Build Corpse Ladders.

Man, seeing Mokou reminds me that I never did beat Genius of Sappheiros. Reassign Skill Points: The Game.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She isn't one yet, though, so it makes perfect sense!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

BlitzBlast posted:

An entirely accurate summation of trying to hit AyTengu A in MoF.

Seriously, her spellcards. :argh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Okay, the game's finally hit the point where I can't deploy everyone at once. This means I have to choose who I use, and naturally that means votes. A regular version would be silly given this thread's low traffic though, so I'll try something new. I'm going to put the chapter's max cost out, then list all of the available characters. Everyone picks one, and subtracts their cost from the total so people can follow how much is left. Once we can't select anymore characters, that's it.

And if you're curious about Lunatic, I'll be picking my own characters for that.

Chapter 20's total cost: 21.0

Available characters:

Reimu
Marisa
Alice
Keine
Mokou
Sakuya
Meiling

Elly
Kurumi

Rumia
Daiyousei

I'm always going to start these off by forcing Marisa and Alice, so we're at 16.0 right off the bat.

EDIT: V You know, I was wondering if I'd need to bold one.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Rumia and Mokou. Down to 12.0.

• Locked thread