Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hello and Welcome to what I believe is the 4th BIF event. Its late and I am tired, so I am going to shamelessly steal Leafhouse's carefully constructed OP from the previous events!

How It Works

For those of you who have not taken part in a Beer it Forward, a BIF is where everyone is assigned a person to ship a bunch of beer to. You don't know who is shipping to you until you receive your box. I will make it so the person you are sending to is in another region so you can send them exciting beers they can't get. Alternatively you will also receive beers from another exotic locale! It will be a shotgun start, so everyone will send at the same time. Or at least before the deadline. I will have to collect your addresses and will delete them once we're done. Unfortunately, we aren't allowing anyone outside the USA to participate as it did not work out so well last time around.

How to Join

Step 1: Fill out this form!
Step 2: Post in this thread!! If you do not post here your signup is not valid. This is to ensure we don't have people submitting others on the list.
Step 3: Post your in the SA Mart thread I'll be putting up. Anyone who doesn't will be removed from the BIF. (Another thread will go up and will be linked here, in it you are going to have to agree to ship beers by the date listed or be banned.)
Step 4: Wait for me to assign you a shippee
Step 5: Ship Beer, all of it!
Step 6: Post a picture of your haul then drink that poo poo!

What's Involved
You must send a minimum of $50 worth of beers! Given the time and effort involved in putting together and shipping a box, it's better to send out more. If the price point ends up driving away a lot of people then we can reconsider for next time. For the record do not send a full sixer of a beer to your BIFee. The point of this is to try a variety of the best a region/distribution area has to offer. You are welcome to ship more, but don't ship less. You must have an account at least 3 months old and a reasonable post history. This is to ensure people feel comfortable shipping and to make it easier for folks to pick out things you really will enjoy! If you use Untappd or Beer Advocate or any other beer related site make sure to link it on the form.

Deadlines
Sign-Up Deadline: 8/14
Receive Assignments by: 8/17
Ship Between: 8/27 and 8/30 (If you have to ship earlier you can, it would just be better if everyone didn't get their box until they themselves have shipped so if you can ship during that week it would be best - 3/3 is the absolute deadline)
This gives you some time to find some nice beer and ship it on out.

Notes & Helpful Things

Do not ship via USPS - it's illegal and can get you thrown in federal pound me in the rear end prison.

Pack Well! If a bottle breaks in transit you are responsible to replace it.

If you're a homebrewer you are encouraged to share some tasty homebrews!

Use Seekabrew.com to ensure the beer you're send is not found in your shippee's state! Don't send them something they could just pull off the shelf at the local liquor store. (Exception for "rare" beers that are hard to get) If you ever have any doubts about what is available in your BIFees area, PLEASE let us know in the thread! There are tons of helpful folks from all over the USA who will be happy to message you and give you some guidance as far as what they do and do not get in their area.

Helpful Goons to ask about distribution!

California
Zam

Colorado
Docjowles

Connecticut
Jerome Louis

Florida
swickles
Catfish Noodlin

Illinois
Leafhouse
americanzero4128
ChitownEddie
crazyfish

Missouri
Anisocoria Feldman

New Jersey
Midorka

Oregon
dphi
perfectly cromulent
SUPER HASSLER

Pennsylvania
HatfulOfHollow

Texas
air-

DC/MD
cereal eater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

How to pack, by rage-saq

There are many ways of packing beer, but in my opinion ALL of them are pains in the rear end. The one that is by far the least pain in the rear end is a styrofoam bottle shipping container system thingy. You can get them at Bevmo/Total Wine and other places and they are the bomb.
One of these shipping containers (common sizes are 1 bottle, 2 bottles, 3 bottles, 6 bottles and 12 bottles) are usually only a few bucks ($4-$8) but turn packing a box of beer into a near bulletproof process that doesn't take much time and only needs some scrap paper to get them nice and secure.

Here is how I packed a 12 bottle shipper.
First take 3-4 pages of a newspaper and ruffle them up a bit and set it over the slot for the bottle, this will make sure that the paper expands to secure the bottle from jostling around too much.

Set the bottle on top of the hole and slowly shove it down, the paper should crumple around the bottle in a near form fitting fashion. Try and wiggle it, you can probably only wiggle it on the top side of the bottle.

Next take two pages of a newspaper and fold it in half and then squeeze it together some so it becomes kind of snake-like, and then shove it in around the top of the bottle, kind of forming a ring around the bottle. You might need to do this twice but after you do this the bottle should be secure and wont budge at all.

Repeat until all of your bottles are nice and secure. Once they are all packed just put the top on and tape the box up and its ready to ship!

swickles fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 6, 2014

broom
Aug 29, 2005
signed up!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Done and done

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in! Here are links to the past SA BIFs (all require archives):

First
Second
Third

I can also answer any questions about distribution in Colorado. Seek A Brew is pretty out of date as far as what we get. Lots of new stuff, plus a couple places that no longer send to us. Also, WHEEZY KISS A DUDE is still a piece of poo poo.

edit: Hey swickles, could you add a spot on the form for Untappd, Beer Advocate, etc. accounts so we have access to wants/hads? I got a beer that was out of my senders distribution area last time because I listed it on my Untappd wants list and he happened to have it. I would love to return the favor this round if I can.

mrcowcow fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 6, 2014

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Just signed up! Never done this before. Richmond has excellent beer, I'm excited to provide someone else the opportunity to try some new stuff.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Signed up for round 4

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
did that poo poo, too, although i'm sad i didn't make the OP...

for those of you who haven't done this before, be aware of you package receiving situation! do you live in an apartment? is it secure-access? is there a leasing office that signs for stuff? if you're in a house, will poo poo get stolen off your porch? keep those things in mind and, if you think there might be an issue, see if you can get it shipped to your work address (or that of your significant other, parents, etc).

also, if you have questions about packing and shipping that aren't addressed in the OP, feel free to give me a shout (and poop dood, lemme know when you're ready to ship, i can hook you up ((and, if you hadn't already, now you can probably figure out where i work...)))

edit- while i generally eschew beeradvocate.com, i do have a wants list that, while not necessarily reasonable by the standards of this BIF, will at least give you an idea of the kind of beers i am most keenly interested in.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 6, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
i'm in for this round.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I skipped the last two rounds but I'm in this time.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Edit: Had to PM swickles and rescind my entry. :(

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 8, 2014

ExtremistCow
Oct 15, 2005

I'm in.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

a worthy uhh posted:

And if you're my BIFfer, Do Not Send It Signature Required. xoxo.

same

air-
Sep 24, 2007

a worthy uhh posted:

And if you're my BIFfer, Do Not Send It Signature Required. xoxo.

I put a line down below my address requesting that too!

But yes totally agree with letting us post BA/RB/Untappd links.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
In like a very drunken Flynn.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I would like to be involved in this endeavor!

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I joined up

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have signed up

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
I'm in again.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

In!

No Signature required please. If you absolutely must, PM me and I'll likely ship it to a different address.

Zam fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 7, 2014

Apache
May 11, 2004

Same here, no signature required please

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
I've signed up. I'm in Toronto, but I've got a border ship point in Buffalo, so I'm good to go.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Well, we only have 16 people signed up. So, please promote this in other threads or what have you. I am not a regular in the homebrew thread, but maybe someone who is could post there so it has some credibility.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Give it through the weekend! People may just be busy during the week.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
In for the fourth time! I love BIFin' it up!

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
Debating whether to sign up, I'll be on vacation and travelling through the 20th-3rd, I'd have to send my package super early and the person sending to me would have to wait until after I got back :/

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Jerome Louis posted:

Debating whether to sign up, I'll be on vacation and travelling through the 20th-3rd, I'd have to send my package super early and the person sending to me would have to wait until after I got back :/

are you going to send good beer y/n?

V i was being silly

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 9, 2014

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

funkybottoms posted:

are you going to send good beer y/n?

I can confirm that JL sends awesome beer. You should do it man, couple of weeks either way is nothing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Yeah, I am not opposed to delaying things between individual shippers. Just let me know and I will let your BIFee/BIFer know whats up. Goes for anyone too.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gonna have to skip out on this one, too. Wife called me out for spending too much money on hooch and, well, she's not wrong :homebrew: Will jealously watch you all trade delicious beers.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I signed up! But please send my beers with no signature required before 8-21 or after 9-3, I'll send mine before 8-21 for sure.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Signed up! Thanks for putting this together. :)

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

I'm in for number 4. Thanks to swickles for organizing this round!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Screw it, I'm in. Gotta figure out if I can find one of those styrofoam things or if I have to risk doing it the hard way.

Edit: Form filled out!

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 13, 2014

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Screw it, I'm in. Gotta figure out if I can find one of those styrofoam things or if I have to risk doing it the hard way.

call around to places that sell moving supplies

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shooting Blanks posted:

They're also on Amazon for 15ish bucks, and come in a box you can reuse.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
I'm in!

lodie
Feb 8, 2004
i'm in.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'd love to beer it forward, but honestly my motivation is finding a US source of Hövels http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7713/21905/

If anyone happens to have access to this beer, I'd definitely pay you a finders fee to ship a 6 or 12 pack to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
I too am in. Sorry about being "yet another Chicago area goon".

• Locked thread