Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The crews are actually there filming something else I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

The crews are actually there filming something else I think?

This is a reasonable explanation and makes sense! Kudos

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.
It is also in Time's Square, isn't it? There's a police station there, and I'd guess that there's usually a TV crew of some sort there.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Theres a scary black man in NYC, of course the NYPD would over react.

Im only mostly joking.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I hate how in Rocky, after going out their way to do the middle rounds as a montage, they supposedly show the final round in real time yet that poo poo is over in something like a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-s4abeoak

It's still one of my all time favorite films but, gently caress. If you're going break away from the montage and do a dramatic three minute final round, at least make it last 3 actual minutes.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Taeke posted:

and the general public crowds around like it's some sort of spectator sport, parents with little kids and all.

Does it have the standard bit with a kid that points and exlaims "cool!!!" to his mommy to let the kids in the audience know this they need to get all the toys?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BiggerBoat posted:

I hate how in Rocky, after going out their way to do the middle rounds as a montage, they supposedly show the final round in real time yet that poo poo is over in something like a minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5-s4abeoak

It's still one of my all time favorite films but, gently caress. If you're going break away from the montage and do a dramatic three minute final round, at least make it last 3 actual minutes.

Is it irrational to be annoyed that he gets away with some rapey poo poo? Even as a child who had not even heard about social justice warriors I never liked that first "date" she's forced to endure, Rocky just getting way up in her space just keeps pressing on until she gives in. It's pretty lovely.

Disclaimer in case some cannot understand that a person can like a film and still disagree with given characters and how their scenes play out.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Is it irrational to be annoyed that he gets away with some rapey poo poo? Even as a child who had not even heard about social justice warriors I never liked that first "date" she's forced to endure, Rocky just getting way up in her space just keeps pressing on until she gives in. It's pretty lovely.

Disclaimer in case some cannot understand that a person can like a film and still disagree with given characters and how their scenes play out.

On a similar note, Deckard kissing Rachael was pretty rapey and really threw me for a loop. I'm not sure the film meant it to be seen like that though which is p bad.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Pneub posted:

Eh, dogs are stupid. They will or won't freak out and bark at any given thing.

look at the this loving dog bigot right here! :mradog:

p.s. I hated all the loving old guys with dumb hats in Battleship.

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Aug 9, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TheFallenEvincar posted:

look at the this loving dog bigot right here! :mradog:

p.s. I hated all the loving old guys with dumb hats in Battleship.

fuckin guy /w access w / e

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snapchat A Titty posted:

fuckin guy /w access w / e

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

gently caress in Clint Eastwood's High Plains drifter he out right rapes some women for "being rude" to him. Of course like all women who want to be put in her place, she falls in love with him at the end.

It may not be right but before the 80s and even during the 80s women were not really seen as people in a lot of cinema, or real world. Go back and watch some of the older movies and you'll see a lot more of "women being put in their place."

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Darth Freddy posted:

gently caress in Clint Eastwood's High Plains drifter he out right rapes some women for "being rude" to him. Of course like all women who want to be put in her place, she falls in love with him at the end.

It may not be right but before the 80s and even during the 80s women were not really seen as people in a lot of cinema, or real world. Go back and watch some of the older movies and you'll see a lot more of "women being put in their place."

Though at least with High Plains Drifter, I don't think that we're really supposed to see The Man With No Name as a hero the way that we're supposed to with Rocky.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HYLPk-ra4

Sudsygoat
Jul 19, 2013

Darth Freddy posted:

Also, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but didn't she, along with the rest of the town leave him to die in the street? That doesn't make him right, but it's a bit worse than "being rude". of course, he was not meant to be a righteous hero, the movie was pretty explicit in saying that Clint Eastwood's character was an rear end trying to get revenge on the town for leaving him to die in the street.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, basically he was just an rear end in a top hat poltergeist.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EmmyOk posted:

On a similar note, Deckard kissing Rachael was pretty rapey and really threw me for a loop. I'm not sure the film meant it to be seen like that though which is p bad.
I watched Blade Runner for the first time a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure that he actually rapes her. There didn't seem to be anything consensual about it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I watched Blade Runner for the first time a few months ago, and I'm pretty sure that he actually rapes her. There didn't seem to be anything consensual about it.

I couldn't remember if he slept with her or not, but yes it was definitely rape. I just mean I don't think the film intended us to see Deckard as a rapist. I think they were trying to show that he was helping her make her own decisions (or trying to) but they hosed it up very badly.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I couldn't remember if he slept with her or not, but yes it was definitely rape. I just mean I don't think the film intended us to see Deckard as a rapist. I think they were trying to show that he was helping her make her own decisions (or trying to) but they hosed it up very badly.

Or that despite his feelings toward her, at that point he still deep down considers her to be a machine. Either way, that scene doesn't come off like that, as you said.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Half of all films more than like 10 years old has the hero grab a girl and kiss her while she struggles to get away, then melts into his arms realising she wanted it all along, and it's creepy as hell every time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yep. Three Days of the Condor is pretty bad too, our hero kidnaps a chick and at best Stockholm-syndromes her into sex.

It's been a while since I last saw Blade Runner, but I seem to recall that this made the most sense:

Gordon Shumway posted:

Or that despite his feelings toward her, at that point he still deep down considers her to be a machine. Either way, that scene doesn't come off like that, as you said.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

They were trying for this:

"Jabootu.net posted:

The core of the film, however, is Rocky’s pursuit of Adrian, the painfully shy sister of his mean and nearly retarded-seeming friend Paulie. It’s this relationship that really buoys the film and makes it work. Living a grim existence built around a crappy job and a home life that solely involves taking care of her brutish and verbally abusive brother, Adrian reacts to Rocky’s halting attentions with something approaching panic, so unused is she to simple affection and respect.

The scene where Adrian allows Rocky to seduce her is terrific, as she finally overcomes her fears that he’ll do something to hurt her. (This is cannily followed by a parallel scene in which Rocky is first offered the Creed fight. Similarly afraid that nothing good can come of such a bewildering stroke of luck, Rocky’s initial reaction is to turn the fight down.)

Anchored by a completely believable performance by Talia Shire, this relationship achieves many things. First, it shows that for all his fears, Rocky hasn’t given up on improving his life. Patently no Lothario, Rocky obviously sees something in Adrian that nobody else does, and is dogged but sweet in pursuing her. Their first date at a closed-up skating rink, as he attempts to use his sense of humor to get past her emotional barriers, is exceedingly well observed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mobby_6kl posted:

Yep. Three Days of the Condor is pretty bad too, our hero kidnaps a chick and at best Stockholm-syndromes her into sex.

It's been a while since I last saw Blade Runner, but I seem to recall that this made the most sense:

It makes evwn more sense if Deckard is himself a replicant and doesn't know how to form the appropriate emotional responses.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Considering that Bond kills shitload of people, I don't see why choking a woman would be any worse.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

EmmyOk posted:

I just mean I don't think the film intended us to see Deckard as a rapist.

I think it did. The whole movie is about him doing heinous poo poo to non-persons and then the bits at the end with Roy saving him for no reason except human mercy and the origami unicorn show that they're actually at least as "real" as him.

The sexy Vangelis saxophone kind of threw me for a loop there though

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Considering that Bond kills shitload of people, I don't see why choking a woman would be any worse.
The license is very specific about what it covers.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
What I'm complaining about isn't a bad thing at all. I have no problem with filming done in my province but man, it's hilarious when a movie is supposed to take place in America but there's Canadian landmarks all over the place. The Fantastic Four sequel is set in New York but oh look, there's the Lion's Gate bridge and an anchor from Global BC. The X-Men sequels are also set in New York but I immediately recognized the X-Mansion as being Hatley Castle.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The first Kick-rear end had a scene where the characters kept repeatedly driving by the old Sam the Record Man store on Yonge St. in Toronto - the one with the two neon flashing records on top. Also in the Robocop reboot, I kept seeing street signs for Jarvis st., Church st., etc.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Magnus Manfist posted:

Half of all films more than like 10 years old has the hero grab a girl and kiss her while she struggles to get away, then melts into his arms realising she wanted it all along, and it's creepy as hell every time.

Up until the mid to late 90s it was considered romantic for a guy to keep pushing and pushing until a girl gave in because it meant he really loved her.

It's really unsettling and creepy to watch in a modern context though.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Celery Face posted:

What I'm complaining about isn't a bad thing at all. I have no problem with filming done in my province but man, it's hilarious when a movie is supposed to take place in America but there's Canadian landmarks all over the place. The Fantastic Four sequel is set in New York but oh look, there's the Lion's Gate bridge and an anchor from Global BC. The X-Men sequels are also set in New York but I immediately recognized the X-Mansion as being Hatley Castle.

Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx is hilariously bad at this. It's like nobody bothered to even try to cover up the landmarks in downtown Toronto.

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Incredible Hulk as well.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Up until the mid to late 90s it was considered romantic for a guy to keep pushing and pushing until a girl gave in because it meant he really loved her.

My husband loves all those stupid comedies which basically amounts to a schlub man child gradually winning over a chilly love interest by constantly waging some sort of charm offensive against her. The love interest also seems to undergo some sort of transformation from glasses wearing frigid professional with her hair in a bun to fun loving warm hearted girl who turns against her job, starts wearing make up and lets her hair down. gently caress those movies, all of them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ultrabindu posted:

Jackie Chan's Rumble in the Bronx is hilariously bad at this. It's like nobody bothered to even try to cover up the landmarks in downtown Toronto.

The Highlander TV series went in the opposite direction with this. They wanted the bit that wasn't set in Paris to be set in the Northwest US, but they were obviously filming in Vancouver - sometimes directly in front of major landmarks. To get around this they created the fictional city of Seacouver, which was identical to Vancouver but had the geographical location of Seattle - hence the name.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's awesome/hilarious/terrible. Some weird amalgamation of the three.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

CJacobs posted:

That's awesome/hilarious/terrible. Some weird amalgamation of the three.

Awelaribble. Take a page out of Seacouver's portmanteau book.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

gently caress, that Blade Runner scene was unsettling and creepy even back then. Rachel is almost completely alone in the world, really knowing only her creators, who have done nothing but lie to her for all of her artificially short life and see her as a piece of equipment, and Deckard is well aware of this when she shows up at his apartment for lack of anyone else to turn to. Naturally, the romantic thing to do is to violently force himself on her when she's got literally nowhere else to go. Good job, Deckard, you washed-up alcoholic grump--you're a true gentleman.

edit: grammar

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Aug 12, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I always thought Blade Runner wanted to have a protagonist who was absolutely not a hero. Superficially he looks like a hero, shoots at bad guys like a hero, gets the girl like a hero and wins in the end like a hero. But each of those action movie characteristics end up ringing hollow with anything further than a superficial glance and you realize that Deckard is just a facsimile of a good guy, going through the motions because that's all he can do.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So Blade Runner is the original version of Drive

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

My Lovely Horse posted:

So Blade Runner is the original version of Drive

Deckard isn't a real human being...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

kazil posted:

Deckard isn't a real human being...

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN.

Yeah basically Deckard is played that way to imply his potential to be a replicant. He forces himself on Rachel because he might not have the actual maturity of a fully grown man.