Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Reiner the Soldier is straight. Reiner the Warrior is implied to be gay.
I don't think it's split sexuality, so much as Reiner has never been particularly public about his sexuality. If his compatriots have guessed one secret, perhaps they've guessed another...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Wha... what hint has there been to Reiner's sexuality at all? Why is this known with such certainty all of a sudden?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Squidster posted:

I don't think it's split sexuality, so much as Reiner has never been particularly public about his sexuality. If his compatriots have guessed one secret, perhaps they've guessed another...

Reiner is into Historia as a soldier but insinuates he's homosexual to Ymir at Utgarde. It goes right into his mind when she rescues them in the field that he's attracted to her. And then later during his talk with Ymir in his soldier personality what tips Ymir off that his personality is fragmented is he's talking about getting a promotion and then how Christa is into him. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-DW-WzV8QgMs/UbF7gsh-HqI/AAAAAAAAXQs/sqqzQE-mH9M/018.jpg?imgmax=3000

Of course, he could be bisexual or just trolling- but ultimately this is all pretty irrelevant and mostly unnecessary toward his characterization in the story. It's just a way to tell what personality he currently is in.

quote:

ha... what hint has there been to Reiner's sexuality at all? Why is this known with such certainty all of a sudden?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-5zNS8dkEFps/UHVbobN6wcI/AAAAAAAAIkU/G3QQ7uL5y1M/028.jpg?imgmax=3000

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 7, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it is very important i know the sexuality of reiner for my fanfiction, please resolve this issue soon.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Come on chapter 60, let's pick up the pace of the story a bit this week.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

FYI, fan translations have screwed up that part by attributing one of Ymir's speech bubbles to Reiner. Here's an analysis of how the dialogue is supposed to look:

http://papermoon2.tumblr.com/post/68581043204/i-received-vl-9-too-maybe-im-not-a-legit-english

Conclusion: Reiner might be lying to ingratiate himself with Ymir, he might be bi, or he might really be that hosed up mentally. :iiam:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

threeagainstfour posted:

Come on chapter 60, let's pick up the pace of the story a bit this week.

http://www.ishuhui.com/archives/3316 Ask and you shall receive. It's untranslated though. http://fuku-shuu.tumblr.com/post/94072735442/live-translation-typesetting-post-for-shingeki-no Here is a fan translation, so it's gonna be dirty.

Chapter 60 summary:
Squad Levi assaults the compound and takes a hostage.

Levi gently interrogates the hostage. The hostage reveals Kenny Ackermann's name to Levi and Mikasa.

Hanji meets with the reporters.

Hanji, Flegel, and Moblit ambush Central MP soldiers and trick them into revealing the truth of Dimo's death to reporters, and the population of Trost.

A tortured Erwin is brought before the King.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 7, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 254 days!

forbidden lesbian posted:

it is very important i know the sexuality of reiner for my fanfiction, please resolve this issue soon.

Reiner never knew he could love a man, but Armin has captured his heart. But is it all just another ploy by our budding Machiavelli?

(this poo poo writes itself).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I feel like, based on the latest chapter, things will be coming to a head with the current storyline in the next 3-4 chapters. Then maybe it'll be Titan Time again? I know it's become a stale complaint, but it's been a decent chunk of time since Titans were shown at all. I like this political subplot and all, but the unfortunate side effect of going inwards towards the inner walls means the Titans don't make appearances.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Is there another OVA coming out? I'm seeing a bunch of random screenshots on tumblr that don't look as if they came from any episode I'm familiar with.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Captain Invictus posted:

I feel like, based on the latest chapter, things will be coming to a head with the current storyline in the next 3-4 chapters. Then maybe it'll be Titan Time again? I know it's become a stale complaint, but it's been a decent chunk of time since Titans were shown at all. I like this political subplot and all, but the unfortunate side effect of going inwards towards the inner walls means the Titans don't make appearances.

Honestly, I get the feeling that as this current storyline resolves things are going to start snowballing rapidly towards the overall conclusion. If I had to guess, something big is going to happen soon that changes everything and forces a mad panic and dash for answers and solutions. Maybe the walls come alive, or the king turns out to be a titan, or possibly both.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Mangareader version is out: http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/60

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
So I guess after the internecine squabbles within the Survey Corps, we can now see the events of last chapter made Connie, Sasha and Jean drop their qualms about fighting other humans?

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
So, still no titans then.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

I like this subplot too, but honestly I could care less about Squad Levi right now- I'm more interested in Eren and Historia. Though with the upcoming ambush, maybe Sasha, Connie, or Jean will die and really up the ante. The problem of course is Levi, with him around the threat to the squad as the audience feels minimal. I almost wanted Jean to die last chapter so that he would live up to his commitment to sacrifice himself for (his) humanity and make the threat the Suppression Squad represents very real.

The problem with the civil war arc is it's moving slowly and the threat isn't as palpable or tense as previous chapters. They've already established that Squad Levi are far more competent than almost anyone else in the walls. Chapter 40-50 was so tense because their enemies showed them that their superiority as soldiers really amounted to nothing.

Another thing is if Squad Levi stays intact with no sacrifice, and in the next few chapters they manage to save Eren and Historia- then Isayama is just wasting time. They could have just done it this chapter. Hopefully he's building to a payoff.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 8, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neowyrm posted:

So, still no titans then.

After the previous two chapters, would anyone think titans are going to magically appear? The plot is going where it has to go.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Turin Turambar posted:

After the previous two chapters, would anyone think titans are going to magically appear? The plot is going where it has to go.

If it's not going to the basement I'm snoring.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

It feels like it's going to ramp into clusterfuck mdoe again fairly soon to me, just human vs. human clusterfuck.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

After the previous two chapters, would anyone think titans are going to magically appear?
I mean, it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Terper posted:

I mean, it wouldn't be unprecedented.

Lol yeah, that's also true.

But I mean, the plot is going where it should go, following a logical sense. And if that means getting away from the premise of the series, so be it. I think the series wouldn't be as interesting if it consisted only of the Scout Legion making raiding parties outside and killing Titans and being killed. The mystery of how he city formed, what do the leaders know, how the walls were built, the powers of touching up memories, are all interesting to me. And it's being executed fairly well, it's not like the Scouting Legion just went to battle with the army and that's it, the protagonists are being hunted, they control the media, they are using their leader as scapegoat, the truth of Historia and his family was well done, they have good resources and plans instead of being morons because they are they bad guys, etc.
Of course, doing things *well* in this case means doing things *slow*. There are several phases and problems to deal, the author has to show what it means to turn against the government and how almost impossible it is or it all would look silly, you don't decide or make a revolution overnight, and there are several sides of the story to show. Right now it's frustrating but I think when it's over and you read the story in one go it will be worth it. It's a bit like Hunter x Hunter in that regard, lots of setup right now, things moving slowly.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Season 2 is gonna be hella boring towards the end.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Maybe if you have the attention span of a goldfish and need explosions to be entertained.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
You act like that's a problem.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I agree I'd like the eotena onslaught more if isayama took notes from michael bay and joss whedon.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Captain Candiru posted:

Season 2 is gonna be hella boring towards the end.

I think this story line will play out much better in anime form when you don't have to wait an entire month between episodes.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I feel like the month long wait is why everyone is saying this arc is slow. After its all over and done with, it won't seem so slow in hindsight.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well, the previous arc was one giant clusterfuck from beginning to ending with no breaks. It was so stressful to the characters that it broke some of their minds and the infiltrators broke their cover for a stupid-rear end reason.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm legit glad I picked up the manga during chapter 50 when it started pacing itself more slowly. Everything between between Magilla Gorilla and the return of the Grinning Titan was so fast paced that waiting a month to get a new chapter would have been unbearable.

It was exciting, yes, but at the same time you know that there is so much plot left that Eren & Co wouldn't bite the dust quite yet, which hurts the gravitas of the story.

When things pick back up again with the Titans it'll probably be the very last arc, so we should be getting some answers and characters might start dropping like flies.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The closer we get to the king I have no doubts that there'll be some more human titans introduced.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
The direction this manga took has been super loving boring. Maybe after it's all said and done it'll play out nicely as a book to read, but my god the monthly waits are tiring for so little to happen. It really does feel like it's being dragged out regardless of how it's handled.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Veskit posted:

The direction this manga took has been super loving boring. Maybe after it's all said and done it'll play out nicely as a book to read, but my god the monthly waits are tiring for so little to happen. It really does feel like it's being dragged out regardless of how it's handled.

Levi vs Kenny & goons was the best action sequence in the whole series so at least we got that out of this story.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I want to see all of the schemes and plots turn to poo poo when the bigmen show up again. We know who the real enemy is.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Senjuro posted:

Levi vs Kenny & goons was the best action sequence in the whole series so at least we got that out of this story.

Or it's been so long you can't remember the others.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Or it's been so long you can't remember the others.

My memory can be pretty bad at times so it's definitely a possibility but I loved the unexpectedness of anti-personnel 3D gear and guns along with the desperation of being outgunned and outnumbered and the creativity used to survive the encounter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Plus it had "Bang Bang! Mr. Military Police is here to kill all the bad guys! Bang Bang!"

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
Huh. I just realized something that should have been really loving obvious to me by now. In the very first scene in the manga/anime Eren was talking to memory wipe girl, then she made him forget about it afterwards. Eren had probably been having the same lessons that Historia was.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Senjuro posted:

My memory can be pretty bad at times so it's definitely a possibility but I loved the unexpectedness of anti-personnel 3D gear and guns along with the desperation of being outgunned and outnumbered and the creativity used to survive the encounter.

I'm with you, at least it's one of the best action scenes (and I read the last 30 chapters a few weeks ago).

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

Pensive posted:

Huh. I just realized something that should have been really loving obvious to me by now. In the very first scene in the manga/anime Eren was talking to memory wipe girl, then she made him forget about it afterwards. Eren had probably been having the same lessons that Historia was.

Dang, nice catch.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The first scene of the anime is erin looking up at the skinless colossal titan and then some scouts fail to kill a titan in a forest? Who's the memory wipe girl?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Krinkle posted:

The first scene of the anime is erin looking up at the skinless colossal titan and then some scouts fail to kill a titan in a forest? Who's the memory wipe girl?
Eren's first anime scene is him waking from an impossible dream, featuring imagery we still haven't seen yet. I'm curious if the room full of abandoned toys is from the same place where he had his flashback to life as memory-erasing girl.

In his first manga scene, someone says "See you later, Eren.", but it definitely isn't Mikasa.

Good catch, Pensive.