Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

S1(vaguely remembered because I only screwed around on other people's accounts): Soraka(back when she could give herself more mana)
S2: Alistar jungle, Amumu, Singed, Ezreal, Irelia
S3: Lane Lulu, Sejuani, Nami, support Alistar, Amumu, jungle Gragas
S4: Lane Lulu, Draven, Vayne, Lane Alistar, Amumu, Jax, Malzahar

I guess something like that is about right, I have a really diverse, wide champion pool and I don't stick to one thing very long but I keep coming back to those guys a lot. My love for Alistar has shifted over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

S1: Sona and Lux.
S2: Irelia. A lot of Irelia.
S3: Sejuani, most supports, Ahri.
S4: Ahri, Nami, Irelia.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
S1: Kayle rushing rage blade, Kennen.

S2: time for a true display of skill, shaco, instalock, master yo, lee win, Irelia

S3: ezreal, orianna, jarvan "we're invading" IV, release draven, lee sin, zed, ahri, master yo, jungle karma [rest in pepperonis]

S4: ezreal, j4, orianna, lee sin, cdArpen Lucian, zed, master yi

I can play probably 3x this list to pretty good competency, but these are my comfort picks.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I used to play Lux when I started in late S2/S3 preseason and rushed Rod of Ages almost every game. Now I play a ton of Ryze. Had the right item in mind, but was playing the wrong champion.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Played ADC gangplank the other day, Ended up 10/2/20something assists, but still lost because my team couldn't fend for themselves :v:

Top fed, mid got fed, and enemy tristana got REAL fed.

8/8 would play again

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Me: "Uh, guys, the super tanky Udyr keeps trying to backdoor us and take our two open inhibs"
Team: "You loving idiot he has no damage, he's tanky, he can't do shiiiiiit to towers, just group and let's push.
Me: "Uh, guys, he's taking our two open inhibs and we're seigeing their mid tower..."
Team: "Just group fggt"
Team gets wiped
Me: "Uh, guys, the super minions are flooding and Udyr is running through our jungle and they have baron"
Team: "Just go mid and 5v4 them and smash the nexus, we have AD champs with attack speed boosts"
Me: "Alright, screw it, we'll follow your plan."

DEFEAT

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
When you all first started playing League, what was your best worst opinion? I thought Tear was the most overpowered item. Especially on Amumu. Coming from DotA 1 I thought "Holy poo poo infinite Heartstopper Aura!" I also rushed it on Nasus because holy crap never any mana problems again!

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Nashors Tooth / RoA Lux

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Servaetes posted:

When you all first started playing League, what was your best worst opinion? I thought Tear was the most overpowered item. Especially on Amumu. Coming from DotA 1 I thought "Holy poo poo infinite Heartstopper Aura!" I also rushed it on Nasus because holy crap never any mana problems again!

In like my third week of playing League (in 2011) Amumu was free so I played him all week. I didn't even know what to do in the jungle so I always played him top lane or duo top lane in low level games. I remember everyone I played with being really mad at me, but I couldn't figure out why. Really just a forerunner for the hybrid tank top lane meta years later.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Build Vamp Scepter on every loving champion always.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
The best worst idea was always BoxCrank bot lane. Box up brush, hook into boxes. Rush a mejai's. Both of you.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Servaetes posted:

My first game I just filled up my inventory with boots because movespeed seemed really good to me.

Volcano Style
May 2, 2006

THERE IS ONLY ONE
Pre-Season: Warwick.
Season 1: Vlad.
Season 2 - 4: Nasus.

Seasons Twisted Treeline was a good map: 1-2.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
I'd buy tabi on ADCs because I thought it would give me "the edge" in trades.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Servaetes posted:

Just like when I first played DotA and rushed Sange & Yasha non-stop, when I started League it was all about Triforce on like every offensive champion. Those stats! Those passives! THE VALUE!

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

I've played since beta, and am only Gold 4. :shrek:

Anyways, my most played has always been Fiddle. Me and Fids rode thr train up to the top in Beta, so much so in fact that me and phreak had at it a few times in matches back in the day. Also played against Regi a few times (but our team got completely demolished every time).

I miss the glory days of Fiddle, however he isn't in such a bad spot this season.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Worst: Manamune Ezreal before Manamune was good :negative:

Dumbest: I loved stacking random poo poo like bloodthirsters when I was ahead, I've built 3 bloodthirster Lee Sin one time. Back when Archangel's stacked I would stack those too, there was a game where I had 1200 AP as Heimerdinger just being a colossal fuckshit.

Best: I was convinced Leviathan was hands down the best item in the game and would build it any time I was snowballing. My thought process was that for enough money I would usually back with, I could start stacking the thing and out-tank anybody. Leviathan Tristana, Leviathan Twisted Fate, Leviathan Orianna, etc.

Funniest: Sunfire Soraka top lane every game I played S1, back when Sunfire was legit OP, I picked up like 2 of the fuckers and just sat top making people ragequit. I didn't care if I had a jungler or not, or if I didn't who my lane partner was, I just wanted to spam poo poo all game and never die and it worked. I carried it over to S2, I had an Akali ask me to bail out her lane one time so I walked up to the lane and followed a dude around with Rylais and Sunfire spamming Q and dove him for 2 whole towers and got the kill

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I followed guides on Mobafire. :downs:

In other news..I heard how Rammus had a high win rate since forever so I picked him up. Only 4 ranked games so far, but 100% win rate in ranked and normals. Every game it seems like the enemy either doesn't get how Rammus works or thinks they can duel me. Also I'm low elo so there are a lot of all AD teams. Riding this freelo as much as I can :)

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Are supports running ignite now? I think I heard and LCS caster say its better.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

Supports can run ignite, exhaust, and some people want their supports to run heal(??). It's a matter of personal preference. If you play support, it can be useful to type "ex/ig?" in champ select to see what your carry wants.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Invalid Validation posted:

Supports were actually running Ignite a lot more in the middle of Season 4 than they are now because Exhaust was buffed recently.

Here's my thought process:

1) Does the enemy team have any assassins or melee carries (even 1): Run Exhaust, no questions asked, and bust it on that guy as soon as he engages any fight.
If no, then....
2) Are you playing a support with hard engage, on demand CC, and do you have early kill potential in lane, especially vs. a healer support: Run Ignite.
Otherwise...
3) Still run Exhaust.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Yeah I hate the whole double heal thing some people try to run. It's better to have more summoner options. I prefer Exhaust on anything that isn't Leona.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I thought life steal was overpowered as poo poo during beta. Probably because it was. Also I thought stacking auras was the best possible use of my time. Starks soul shroud frozen heart while playing taric.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Methanar posted:

I thought life steal was overpowered as poo poo during beta. Probably because it was. Also I thought stacking auras was the best possible use of my time. Starks soul shroud frozen heart while playing taric.

Hey it's still overpowered, I was in a normal with my bronze friends and went every lifesteal item + spirit visage on graves.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
When I learned the game I basically played support or Ashe until the mid teens because my friends who taught me said these were the best ways to learn. I have since gotten much much better than them. I wanted to jungle because a year before I started playing my friend was dating Hotshot and I watched some of Saint's stream to see what the game was about and jungling seemed like the raddest thing. I remember my friends being amazed by how good I was at predicting where the enemy jungler was when I would be level 18 in their level 30 games against people who were in the illustrious silver league.

My favorite bad opinions included me thinking Fizz was the worst champ because my friend Stephen was terrible at him, me refusing to ever buy Dorans because they didn't build into things, and me thinking that placing into mid silver elo when I finally got 30 meant I was really good at the game (because my highest elo friends were like 1150). The first game of league I ever played was a ranked game of Sona on my friend's account. I probably used the ultimate like three times but I died 1 time and got a billion assists and that win put him above the line for s2 silver on the last day or so of the season.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

my friend was dating Hotshot

I demand stories.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I've met him. He's a douche. We saw Captain America and the last Harry Potter movie together and he forgot who I was within like a year. He's very spergy and we went and got dinner as a group of like six and none of us knew who he was except the friend who was dating him and we all thought it was really weird that he could o ly talk about computer stuff and how he had connections at NVidia and such for a job whenever he wanted them. This was like, mid-S2.

E: he was impressed by how good I am at dance games.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Obscurity posted:

I followed guides on Mobafire. :downs:

In other news..I heard how Rammus had a high win rate since forever so I picked him up. Only 4 ranked games so far, but 100% win rate in ranked and normals. Every game it seems like the enemy either doesn't get how Rammus works or thinks they can duel me. Also I'm low elo so there are a lot of all AD teams. Riding this freelo as much as I can :)

Won again..3 games in a row on Rammus..all 3 times the enemy surrenders. I am loving this :D

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
How does Rammus work, anyway? As a top laner I curse quietly to myself whenever Rammus is picked; I basically can't push the lane up because if you're out of position when Rammus rolls up, you are going to die. How does one take advantage of a Rammus pick? Just play careful throughout laning phase and hope his bad clear time will punish him?

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

nrook posted:

How does Rammus work, anyway? As a top laner I curse quietly to myself whenever Rammus is picked; I basically can't push the lane up because if you're out of position when Rammus rolls up, you are going to die. How does one take advantage of a Rammus pick? Just play careful throughout laning phase and hope his bad clear time will punish him?

Passive = AD per armor
Q = speed ball. Once you hit someone with it, it does damage and knockback/up.
W = Defense Curl, gives a ton of Armor/MR and deals damage to people attacking you
E = Taunt
R = Pulsing Aoe ground damage

The best way to deal with him is CC I think. Beyond that I'm not sure.

Caeks
Dec 27, 2009

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I've met him. He's a douche. We saw Captain America and the last Harry Potter movie together and he forgot who I was within like a year. He's very spergy and we went and got dinner as a group of like six and none of us knew who he was except the friend who was dating him and we all thought it was really weird that he could o ly talk about computer stuff and how he had connections at NVidia and such for a job whenever he wanted them. This was like, mid-S2.

The only story I have in interacting with some of the Pro players (besides playing against them in beta) is that me and Regi were in talks of me running a DotA 2 portion of Solomid back before DotA 2 beta came out.

Never came to fruition. Regi is actually an easy guy for me to get along with - I never understood the vitriol tossed his way. I guess it's because he played it up a bit for the stream viewers.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

hotshot gg story

Thank you, and god bless

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Obscurity posted:

Won again..3 games in a row on Rammus..all 3 times the enemy surrenders. I am loving this :D

Rammus is basically how Nightblue got to the top of Challenger (pre-taunt nerf, though), as well as a dude called hairyabs.

I miss being naive enough to use Mobafire guides. I loved the top one for LeBlanc made by a mid Gold dude. Studied his matchups, watched all the videos.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Who can blame him for forgetting you? You're some random goon whose whole life isn't league of legends and at least tens of nerds around the world look up to HotShotGG.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I'll also take ignite on adcs like graves, because I am much more comfortable with the timing of it over heal and graves really needs to get ahead early. I take heal on my other Adc MF though because she has no dash.

Tryndamere and renekton got me to gold last season. This season I have over 80 games on wukong with a 62% winrate. Other notables are 66% on panth with 8 games, 56% on Karma with 9.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
The guy who mentioned it before reminded me to ask: has there ever been a reason to build stark's fervor in the last 3 years?
Also what happened to soul shroud, cause I only now got reminded that item existed and yet I used to build it every game on support. They took away a lot of poo poo I apparently don't miss at all. Like mana manipulator.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Not really a bad opinion, but I remember being reluctant to build items with gun/bow icons on melee heroes because I wasn't really sure if they would work or not. I'm used to old, badly documented, touchy CRPGS and stuff where that kind of thing would not have been out of place.

I also used to religiously follow guides on that old goon Wiki that was at least a year out of date at the time because it was in the First Post. That was before I learned that whoever starts the First Post in the league thread is automatically a goober and possibly a dildo.

The first breakout moment I had in the game, playing with a group of friends who were also new and starting at the same time, was taking Ashe mid sometime late S2/early S3 because I was the only one who put any effort into learning to cs properly, would level e first and routinely roll out of there at 20m with maybe a kill or two as well as 120 cs more than my lane opponent. That still informs how I tend to play today. I'd much rather just slowly grind out a cs lead against someone, and I got real sad when they made farming worse for s3 or s4 or whenever they nerfed minion gold and raised passive gold.

I guess I did probably have something like 100 games on Irelia before I finally figured out her E was a targeted ability, not an on next hit autoattack reset.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

A Stupid Baby posted:

I also used to religiously follow guides on that old goon Wiki that was at least a year out of date at the time because it was in the First Post. That was before I learned that whoever starts the First Post in the league thread is automatically a goober and possibly a dildo.

Man now I wish we had DNK's legendary "Which is more Skiller" DotA vs League article drat you

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

mortons stork posted:

The guy who mentioned it before reminded me to ask: has there ever been a reason to build stark's fervor in the last 3 years?
Also what happened to soul shroud, cause I only now got reminded that item existed and yet I used to build it every game on support. They took away a lot of poo poo I apparently don't miss at all. Like mana manipulator.

It's pretty alright on melee bruiser supports. So if you want to play Lee Sin support feel free to pick it up

Soul Shroud died an agonizing death and will live on in our hearts forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

I saw on reddit that someone is making a league vs Dota mod in the Dota 2 engine and trying to put all the characters from both games in it. I would really like to see that but doubt he will ever finish it. Apparently he was streaming some of his early work but when I went to check it out it was offline.

Maybe if he does complete it, it will bring some closure to the group of people that obsess over comparisons between the games and lose their minds over it.

• Locked thread