Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Does anyone here follow the Red Bull Global Rallycross Series? I know, it's probably not real racing, but I just like the idea of hatches pulling 650 horses on a video game-y course with varying surfaces and jumps. On basic television, no less!

I really enjoy Ken Blocks gymkhana youtube series for stuff like that. Yeah its not practical driving but driving through downtown San Francisco in a pimp to hell fiesta is loving awesome, I don't care who you are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuDN2bCIyus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

Not even turbo, it's just an N/A 2l Duratec. Goes pretty well in a lightweight car though.

I test drove one with a mild tune and some Pumaspeed parts back when I ended up buying the Peugeot. Such a hoot to drive, and hands down the best-feeling manual gearbox I have ever tried, so slick and precise with a nice short throw.

Pulling Teeth
Jan 13, 2008
My Cadillac got that bass

pik_d posted:

The US doesn't get the cee'd at all.

Shame - it's meant to be a fine car by the reviews I've read.

One other question for Americans: how does the import system work over there, especially for Japanese cars? Is grey importing a common thing?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Pulling Teeth posted:

Shame - it's meant to be a fine car by the reviews I've read.

One other question for Americans: how does the import system work over there, especially for Japanese cars? Is grey importing a common thing?

Super simplified version: If the vehicle wasn't already sold in the US it is very hard to get a grey import into the country usually, unless you get lucky with your local DMV and nobody ever tells the Feds. The exception is that once a vehicle is 25 years old or more it can be imported no questions asked. For example this year 1989 Nissan Skylines became eligible for import, when previously Skylines were so verboten here that they were crushed on sight.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What happened to the pricing on Fiesta ST's? I've been toying with the idea of picking one up for a DD and I'm amazed at the disparity between non-Recaro equipped cars (can be found easily around 20k) and cars that are optioned with them.

Not to mention that west coast prices are insane, 2-3k more than anywhere else in the country, which is strange because I can't even find one within 1k miles to test drive or even sit in to make sure I fit.

Now I'm starting to think I need to check out the new GTI instead, cause at least they're available.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Because the Recaros are loving great seats.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I can get a Fiesta ST for invoice all day every day at my local Ford dealer.

edit: Don't be afraid to shop around and buy a car that is a ways away from you. If you can save 3K, spend a little on a plane ticket and a drive back.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 1, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

skipdogg posted:

I can get a Fiesta ST for invoice all day every day at my local Ford dealer.

edit: Don't be afraid to shop around and buy a car that is a ways away from you. If you can save 3K, spend a little on a plane ticket and a drive back.

I'm not opposed to it but it sure sucks not being able to test drive one first. I'm too tall to buy without trying one out. Edit: apparently I'm not looking hard enough cause I found one fairly close. Trip report tomorrow!

Where are you located?

Has anyone here used x-plan before? It's available to me through my employer

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 2, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Pulling Teeth posted:

http://jalopnik.com/the-feds-just-seized-40-land-rovers-imported-to-the-u-s-1605985758

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

What happened to the pricing on Fiesta ST's? I've been toying with the idea of picking one up for a DD and I'm amazed at the disparity between non-Recaro equipped cars (can be found easily around 20k) and cars that are optioned with them.

Not to mention that west coast prices are insane, 2-3k more than anywhere else in the country, which is strange because I can't even find one within 1k miles to test drive or even sit in to make sure I fit.

Now I'm starting to think I need to check out the new GTI instead, cause at least they're available.

Where on the west coast are you? I paid something like 23.5k OTD for my Fiesta with every option except the sunroof at Galpin Ford in LA. They are the biggest Ford dealer in the country and always have a huge selection.

Somewhat related, I recently parked on probably the steepest hill in Los Angeles and thought it wouldn't be a problem with the hill assist on my Fiesta. Boy was I wrong. The brakes held the car just fine, until I tried the tiniest bit of gas to move forward and launched myself into a smokey burnout. I thought I did something wrong and tried again, ending in yet another burnout just trying to pull out of a parking space. Apparently FWD turbo facing up a steep hill with hill assist isn't a good match. Anyone else experience something similar?

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

BoostCreep posted:

Where on the west coast are you? I paid something like 23.5k OTD for my Fiesta with every option except the sunroof at Galpin Ford in LA. They are the biggest Ford dealer in the country and always have a huge selection.

Somewhat related, I recently parked on probably the steepest hill in Los Angeles and thought it wouldn't be a problem with the hill assist on my Fiesta. Boy was I wrong. The brakes held the car just fine, until I tried the tiniest bit of gas to move forward and launched myself into a smokey burnout. I thought I did something wrong and tried again, ending in yet another burnout just trying to pull out of a parking space. Apparently FWD turbo facing up a steep hill with hill assist isn't a good match. Anyone else experience something similar?

You can turn off the hill start assist in the computer via the touchscreen fyi. I haven't had any issues with it on mine though.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So how does hill-start assist work then? I've never driven a car with it, does it just mess with the throttle mapping and give you more power? I figured it'd be something mechanical like basically a one-way parking pawl like in an automatic, or the computer would apply the brakes until there was enough power to move forward without affecting the throttle.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Friar Zucchini posted:

So how does hill-start assist work then? I've never driven a car with it, does it just mess with the throttle mapping and give you more power? I figured it'd be something mechanical like basically a one-way parking pawl like in an automatic, or the computer would apply the brakes until there was enough power to move forward without affecting the throttle.

in the STs it's the latter. Rear brakes hold for 2? seconds after you take your foot off the pedal when there's an incline that would cause you to roll back.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
When my buddy's SE fiesta was new, it couldn't go up his driveway. The hill assist would hold the car then the traction control would kick on and the car would have no balls.

Granted his driveway is really steep and the bottom is gravel but it was still hilarious.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Holy poo poo!

I've been occasionally experiencing what can only be described as getting nowhere when I try to accelerate from a stop on the uphill offramp to my house. I thought my clutch was having engagement issues, but you all are talking about hill assist I thought "hmmm".

Google tells me that indeed my (2013) STi has it (but thankfully it can be turned off).

Christ it was kinda freaking me out. I guess it's useful for new drivers, but it should be off by default.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Aug 2, 2014

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
I'm not sure I understand how the hill assist makes it harder to get going. It holds the brakes for up to 3 seconds but as soon as you touch the throttle it deactivates.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Friar Zucchini posted:

In my Outback, if I hold the brake past a certain point, it'll hold the car for about two seconds and then roll back. If the car detects that it's on a steep enough incline, it'll engage the parking brake automatically. The parking brake is disengaged once you hit the gas.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Which is the same thing. Hill assist exists to stop the car from moving until you press the throttle. Its there to stop the car from rolling into the car behind you while you move your foot from the brake to the throttle. If its doing anything else its broken.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

jfreder posted:

I'm not sure I understand how the hill assist makes it harder to get going. It holds the brakes for up to 3 seconds but as soon as you touch the throttle it deactivates.

Sometimes you can't tell whether you actually have the clutch engaged or the hill assist. Which leads to a bog and stall. I've killed my Focus ST a few times even after owning it for over a year.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yeah I disabled hill assist on my FoST because of that.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

jfreder posted:

Not sure. I'll know for certain if it's the culprit since I've turned it off. It didn't happen every time, but it was a frequent enough issue to where I'll know after a few days.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yeah I disabled hill assist on my FoST because of that.

I never thought I'd need the hill assist, but it works flawlessly on my Golf.

I went and checked out the new GTI last Friday and my god is it a beautiful car. HURRY UP WITH THE R ALREADY VW.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Does the hill assist in FoST's also work facing downhill?

I finally got signed up for the ST Octane academy, so hopefully I will become a better skilled horrible jerk driver!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

why would you need hill assist going downhill? Just let the clutch out in second

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

A MIRACLE posted:

why would you need hill assist going downhill? Just let the clutch out in second

Hill assist sucks also if say you pull too far forward in a spot and you want to clutch roll backwards to even yourself out or other like scenarios. Turned mine off for that.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Atmus posted:

Does the hill assist in FoST's also work facing downhill?

I finally got signed up for the ST Octane academy, so hopefully I will become a better skilled horrible jerk driver!

It does in my Golf. I let off the brake and it takes a couple to roll forward in neutral.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bob A Feet posted:

Hill assist sucks also if say you pull too far forward in a spot and you want to clutch roll backwards to even yourself out or other like scenarios. Turned mine off for that.

you could just wait two seconds for it to disengage, too. I clutch roll out of my driveway every morning. I understand if that's not within the Gotta Go Fast ethos though. MAXIMUM PARKING

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A MIRACLE posted:

Parking.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

A MIRACLE posted:

Reversing up hill.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

I don't know about the other systems but the current VW hill assist makes parking extremely difficult if you are on a steep-ish hill.

Its something I'd definitely have disabled.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is it sacrilegious to be eyeballing the DSG in the new GTI vs the MT? I have a 5 spd manual now but the whole dual clutch thing just sounds neat.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The DSG in the Golf GTI is fine. I really don't like the 7 speed in the Polo GTI though

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

dissss posted:

I don't know about the other systems but the current VW hill assist makes parking extremely difficult if you are on a steep-ish hill.

Its something I'd definitely have disabled.

Yeah, I mean, some will prefer it and some won't. I was just pointing out that parking is one scenario where you might want it to reverse up a hill without going forward into the car in front of you at all. I have a 2014 WRX now and had a 2012 VW TDI before it, both of which have hill hold that works when reversing up a hill. I park facing down a hill every day and have personally found the hill hold on both cars to be somewhat useful; certainly not a hindrance. YMMV, of course.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BoostCreep posted:

Reversing up hill.

Building up revs for a spectacular j turn reversing up hill

priznat posted:

Is it sacrilegious to be eyeballing the DSG in the new GTI vs the MT? I have a 5 spd manual now but the whole dual clutch thing just sounds neat.

Its definitely very competent for an automatic but sucks all the fun out of the car in my opinion. Half the fun of a turbo hot hatch is revving the balls off it and doing stupid things with the clutch.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't know why you would, I was just wondering if it did.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

priznat posted:

Its faster and can get slightly better mileage. I'd say it avoids most of the classic automatic transmission downsides.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Focus ST recall out for the stalling/weird idle issues.

Mine does it with ac on when clutching in at lights. The TSB required a check engine light being on.

Recall number is 14S17

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Test drove a Fiesta ST today, I liked it pretty well and told the salesman three times that I wanted to try a focus St for comparisons sake.

I mentioned that I wasn't interested in any of the colors they had on the lot and he outright refused to let me drive a can that "I had no intention of buying."

Well nice job buddy I'm gonna let you waste a bunch of time trying to find a car I want and then tell you to gently caress right off.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

priznat posted:

The DSG and 2.0t are the best paired engine and auto trans ever made. I love mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Snowdens Secret posted:

The DSG and 2.0t are the best paired engine and auto trans ever made. I love mine.

Nice, I am kinda pumped to try one out. I drove an A3 with the same combo a while back and it was nice.

Probably going to wait until that performance package is out here, I want to try out that limited slip wizardry they got goin there.

Also lol at poo poo salespeople like that ford guy. When I was just shopping for my wife's new car the Mazda guy basically talked himself out of a sale due to his weird pressure tactics. Well not really since she wasn't too keen on the Mazda anyway but man, bad sales guys are funny.