Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Sober posted:

I'm probably a bad person because I thought I liked Garfunkel and Oates sooner than I did Broad City, which took like 2 or 3 episodes to get me in.

gently caress, I like it because they're twee, isn't it? :negative:

Can a show as raunchy as Garfunkel & Oates really be considered twee? Micucci could certainly qualify on her own, but the show itself doesn't really fit the description to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ShakeZula posted:

Can a show as raunchy as Garfunkel & Oates really be considered twee? Micucci could certainly qualify on her own, but the show itself doesn't really fit the description to me.

foux-twee, imo

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Black Jesus and Garfunkel & Oates are good and have potential but seem a bit dated. Garfunkel & Oates especially feels like a Tenacious D analogue.

ShakeZula posted:

Compared to Broad City, Garfunkel & Oates are non-forum-poster twee as gently caress.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I just started watching The Newsroom, and after my obligatory post-pilot review-and-general-Googling, I'm pretty bummed to hear it supposedly gets worse. Here I was under the hopeful impression that its third season being its last was one of those "end on a high" kind of things, rather than being run into the ground by a bunch of haters. Sad sad sad. That "America is not the greatest country anymore" speech was one of the best TV speeches I've seen - kudos to Jeff Daniels for that goddamn delivery.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you liked that speech then you'll love the show.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

bubblelubble posted:

I just started watching The Newsroom... That "America is not the greatest country anymore" speech was one of the best TV speeches I've seen - kudos to Jeff Daniels for that goddamn delivery.

The show peaked at that exact moment, unfortunately. I don't have the animosity towards it that a lot of others have, but it doesn't live up to the pilot.

Regarding The Knick pilot, I'm also impressed as the others have posted. I'm a sucker for period dramas, though I was a little let down by the brief tease of having Matt Frewer as one of the stars.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It peaked halfway through that speech.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Pointing out that American exceptionalism is stupid isn't something The Newsroom invented. The show just co-opted it with that opening scene so they could open with a bang and let Sorkin's moderate Republican martyr figure act like he's always right while singlehandedly saving the nightly news. All while a bunch of other really stupid things are happening on the show.

Save yourself from The Newsroom, bubblelubble. While you still can.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

timp posted:

foux-twee, imo

Twee as Foux.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

bubblelubble posted:

I just started watching The Newsroom, and after my obligatory post-pilot review-and-general-Googling, I'm pretty bummed to hear it supposedly gets worse. Here I was under the hopeful impression that its third season being its last was one of those "end on a high" kind of things, rather than being run into the ground by a bunch of haters. Sad sad sad. That "America is not the greatest country anymore" speech was one of the best TV speeches I've seen - kudos to Jeff Daniels for that goddamn delivery.

The show stays fairly consistent throughout the first season, and I'd say it gets better in the second, despite the unfortunate lack of Terry Crews.

The threads here are awful though. There was a sizable contingent of posters who felt that if they watched the show religiously and then posted about how sexist it was(n't) on an internet comedy forum, then they would singlehandedly end sexism in America. All they accomplished was sounding more insufferably smug than the show is at its worst moments.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was pretty sexist, though.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

It was pretty sexist, though.

Go hashtag it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Started watching The Quest. This is duuuuuuuuuumb. And way to vote out a cute girl first you dipshits. But this is still so dumb I will watch it. How on earth did this get made? I know it's ABC and it's summer but wow.

e: everyone being a paladin is super lame though, paladins are lame.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 9, 2014

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

So it's like what an MMO would be like in real life?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

So it's like what an MMO would be like in real life?

I've never LARPed but I can't imagine it would ever be all paladins, but if you mean the lameness inherent to LARPing, probably yeah.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ShakeZula posted:

Can a show as raunchy as Garfunkel & Oates really be considered twee?

Only to someone who has only the vaguest idea what "twee" actually refers to or means. It doesn't just mean "cute", it carries a lot of baggage about being sincere and wistful and romantic, which Garfunkel and Oates... isn't.

For all future reference this is twee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRrZbA7Mc8Q

e: or this, the greatest song ever made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpLTUkDVlPo

precision fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 9, 2014

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

Only to someone who has only the vaguest idea what "twee" actually refers to or means. It doesn't just mean "cute", it carries a lot of baggage about being sincere and wistful and romantic, which Garfunkel and Oates... isn't.

To further clarify / run precision's subtle point into the ground, Garfunkel and Oates uses a twee style to communicate raunchy ideas and brutal honesty about themselves and the world around them. The comedy is in that disconnect.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Garfunkel and Oates are pretty good though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfE0FuYKa5E

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Fooz posted:

Oh man The Knick pilot is unbelievable. I'm blown away.

It's got 2 encores starting now watch that poo poo.

Clive Warren is one of my favourite actors, guess I need to watch that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Black Jesus was just spectacular. Especially because they make it pretty clear that yes, he is actually Jesus.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HUMAN FISH posted:

Clive Warren is one of my favourite actors, guess I need to watch that.

Clive Owen?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Clive Owen?

I assume it's a reference to Karl Pilkington in the Ricky Gervais podcast, haha.

(Or, at least, he mistook Clive Warren for Clive Owen one time, as well.)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

hcreight posted:

Pointing out that American exceptionalism is stupid isn't something The Newsroom invented. The show just co-opted it with that opening scene so they could open with a bang and let Sorkin's moderate Republican martyr figure act like he's always right while singlehandedly saving the nightly news. All while a bunch of other really stupid things are happening on the show.

Save yourself from The Newsroom, bubblelubble. While you still can.

That opening speech is awesome right until Daniels says the word 'Yosemite'. After that the strings swell and he gives that "Gosh darn America is just great" closing and I knew I was in trouble. By the end of the first season I was wishing for the return of Studio 60.

In other news, The Strain is impressive in that it manages to enhance all the parts I liked about the books, and still retain the crap too. At least the 'Eph is a bad father' stuff ends pretty soonish.

Also, Sean Astin is not a good actor. Bless him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The speech was better in Studio 60.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WORST PERIOD GENERATION PERIOD EVER PERIOD

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've been pretty annoyed with season 2 of the USA show Graceland. They ditched a lot of the interesting Hunter/Hunted stuff from the first season and apparently decided that since Paul was able to cover up his previous crimes he was just going to stop committing them. Its like the show forgot he is a dirty cop who wasn't above murder.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

MrAristocrates posted:

It peaked halfway through that speech.
"America isn't the greatest country in the world" YEAH!
"Sure used to be." NO!

Seriously, gently caress that speech.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Newsroom is exactly what you'd expect would happen when you have a guy who has had a vendetta against the internet make a show about the modern news industry.

Only with more he-man woman-hating.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

Black Jesus was just spectacular.

It's the funniest show I've seen since Silicone Valley.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

savinhill posted:

Silicone Valley.

Not quite the valley you're thinking of, I think.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

IRQ posted:

Started watching The Quest. This is duuuuuuuuuumb. And way to vote out a cute girl first you dipshits. But this is still so dumb I will watch it. How on earth did this get made? I know it's ABC and it's summer but wow.

Fantasy shtick is the new hotness. See Game of Thrones, et al.

I'm more amazed it isn't something on Syfy, what with their big push into "nerd culture" the last few years.

Also I'm probably gonna make a thread because I hate myself.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Syfy had that reality show where half the group lived in the "future" while the other half lived in the "past."

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Honestly, I'd settle for the simple, present-day batshit that was Whodunnit.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Only with more he-man woman-hating.

See, now this is exactly the bullshit that made the thread so bad. Sure, if you approach sexism as if it were a binary action, then the Newsroom is sexist. But if that's how you view it, then I'm really not sure how you can watch anything that airs on TV. Honestly, you could pretty much have the same discussion about any show with a significantly co-ed cast, Suits being the first example that comes to mind. The Newsroom threads here suffered from having too few people who cared about the show enough to post about it regularly, most of whom were even less inclined to do so after discussion devolved into a sexism circle jerk. Now don't get me wrong, sexism in television is a discussion worth having, but having that discussion focused around one show to the exclusion of all else doesn't really inspire people to take what you're saying seriously.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
There are some gosh darned names attached to Outlander, I'll tell you what. Never mind Ron Moore, you're not loving around if you've got Ira Steven Behr (The 4400, Alphas) in your stable.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Never mind Ron Moore, you're not loving around if you've got Ira Steven Behr (The 4400, Alphas) in your stable.

Is this the first time those two have worked together since Deep Space Nine?

Edit: I think it is!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Oh that's cool. When I watched the behind the scenes stuff I got the impression Behr was the main guy behind DS9. So I hope it doesn't suck.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

thexerox123 posted:

Is this the first time those two have worked together since Deep Space Nine?

Edit: I think it is!

I mean, before anybody gets too excited, it should be pointed out that this is a sharp left turn from any of the shows they've worked on so far. Mainly, it's more pointedly romantic and far more measured. 25 minutes into the pilot and we're not into the inciting incident yet -- even though none of those minutes feel wasted to me.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

DivisionPost posted:

There are some gosh darned names attached to Outlander, I'll tell you what. Never mind Ron Moore, you're not loving around if you've got Ira Steven Behr (The 4400, Alphas) in your stable.

Isn't Bear McCreary also going the score? That's like already enough to get anyone to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Isn't that show for 40+ year old women?

• Locked thread