Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

grack posted:

So from what I've read, most of the people even somewhat connected to the sport are saying Stewart did it on purpose, based on how the cars react mechanically. Am I getting that right?

Yeah under caution I don't think you just slam the throttle around another driver on track and kick the car out since I'm going to guess those cars are upwards of 700 hp and in dirt, the wheels are just going to slide outwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Just randomly browsing and what the gently caress

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Fox Sports 1 is running live with the story.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Fox Sports 1 is running live with the story.

Did the pre-empt a Mike Francesa repeat?

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

This is absolutely nuts.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

sba posted:

@13WHAM · 3m
UPDATE: FF Thompson Hospital in Canandaigua confirms they have a driver from the motorpark speedway who is battling serious injuries.

Rochester NY news station

Well that's a whole lot better than dead.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I wonder how that even works. You know none of your talent is at work at 2 am for a breaking story like this, do they just find some schmuck intern to read the prompt or is there a bullpen of JV anchors waiting for their big chance?

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Just read about this on Jayski, wow, what the gently caress Tony Stewart. Couple of years of being a decent human being running a team turns into this. I hope it was truly an accident.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I wonder how that even works. You know none of your talent is at work at 2 am for a breaking story like this, do they just find some schmuck intern to read the prompt or is there a bullpen of JV anchors waiting for their big chance?

I would assume someone gets a phone call telling them to get dressed and go into work ASAP,.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

My understanding is that news networks have a skeleton crew on staff at all times with the ability to call in more staff in an emergency, and that will include an anchor/reporter for on camera stuff. I would assume espn would do something similar or piggyback off of abc news's setup.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I don't remember what event it was, but when the on call system fails you get Anderson Cooper broadcasting live from his apartment or some poo poo.

Now I wanna look that up, I swear that's happened before.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Well that's a whole lot better than dead.

To me this reads like hospital speak for "welp he's dead but we can't say anything"

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Tony, you loving moron. There are no words. I thought he was an idiot with anger management issues before, but this escalated quickly. Ward shouldn't have approached the car or even gotten out on a caution, but there's no reason for this.

I know a couple people that travel down to the States/NY circuit to race sprints but I haven't heard anything from them yet.

Ironically while this happened, I was at a sprint car race where the drivers acted professionally. Good, clean race.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

To me this reads like hospital speak for "welp he's dead but we can't say anything"

That would be the line they would use before notification and confirmation. He's probably dead, if the helicopter cancellation is true.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Rand McNally posted:

Tony, you loving moron. There are no words. I thought he was an idiot with anger management issues before, but this escalated quickly. Ward shouldn't have approached the car or even gotten out on a caution, but there's no reason for this.

Ward's car got pinched by Stewart thereby spinning and I think also flipped a few times. His car was finished though not smart to approach a guy in a powerful machine, but that shouldn't excuse Smoke at all for what he did.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Teddybear posted:

My understanding is that news networks have a skeleton crew on staff at all times with the ability to call in more staff in an emergency, and that will include an anchor/reporter for on camera stuff. I would assume espn would do something similar or piggyback off of abc news's setup.

When Obama made the OBL announcement they called back in all the big news anchors for it. Wolf Blitzer looked a little drunk. ESPN would probably do that for a major major story, but they'll probably just let the midnight Sportscenter crew (remember it's only 11 in the PST where I think they shoot the late night Sportscenters) handle it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

When Obama made the OBL announcement they called back in all the big news anchors for it. Wolf Blitzer looked a little drunk. ESPN would probably do that for a major major story, but they'll probably just let the midnight Sportscenter crew (remember it's only 11 in the PST where I think they shoot the late night Sportscenters) handle it.

Yeah I was just googling around and apparently Sportscenter has anchors for the 1-3am ET timeslot.

Also, we were all drunk when the OBL announcement happened. :911:

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaHUN6JFPc:nws:

Video of the accident.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

WELP. This isn't going to be online for very long.

Edit: HOLY gently caress.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah that dude looks dead judging by that responder reaction

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

gently caress that was brutal.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah very blatant what he did. He's up poo poo creek.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
..goddamn.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Kevin Ward is pretty dumb to be running out into the track like that to confront Tony, but uhhh yeah Tony killed that guy.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Tony Stewart completely killed another driver with his car.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
that is very heavy

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

Holy loving poo poo. Thats murder.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Kevin Ward is pretty dumb to be running out into the track like that to confront Tony, but uhhh yeah Tony killed that guy.

My thoughts exactly. Really stupid idea on Ward's part for several reasons, but he certainly didn't deserve to (possibly) die for it.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I've never watched NASCAR or any other race before, and yeah that seemed really weird to me. Like the second he got out and started walking in front of cars shaking his fists I got that horror movie "something bad is going to happen to the dumb person investigating the noise in the basement" vibe.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Twitter is a cool place with cool opinions.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

Walking onto the track to yell at someone is a) not new and b) usually doesn't get anyone killed.

edit: hell stewart has done it in front of bigger faster cars
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwc8obMmv7o&t=62s

ebg
Mar 31, 2008

Holy drat, that's brutal.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Peanut President posted:

Walking onto the track to yell at someone is a) not new and b) usually doesn't get anyone killed.

No you're right, its not new. In fact it happens a lot. Its still not a smart thing to do, but you probably shouldn't be killed for it.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

limeincoke posted:

I've never watched NASCAR or any other race before, and yeah that seemed really weird to me. Like the second he got out and started walking in front of cars shaking his fists I got that horror movie "something bad is going to happen to the dumb person investigating the noise in the basement" vibe.

Many times drivers pissed at other drives have walked right to the car that they're pissed at and showed their displeasure. Not a phenomenon but not a great idea to do at all.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Man, I haven't seen a dude really die on video since Faces of Death VHS tapes in middle school.

Good job, internet. :thumbsup:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

limeincoke posted:

Drivers go on track like that to show they're pissed at someone like, every weekend in NASCAR and in all other forms of American oval racing. It just happened in yesterday's NASCAR race, even. It has never, ever at any point in history, resulted in something like this, because generally speaking race car drivers are not idiot manchildren who use their cars as weapons.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

BMB5150 posted:

Many times drivers pissed at other drives have walked right to the car that they're pissed at and showed their displeasure. Not a phenomenon but not a great idea to do at all.

Yeah like I said, I don't watch racing, so I'm sure it is a every-so-often occurrence. But from an outsiders perspective it seems like something you wait till after the race to do. Not walk onto a track full of speeding cars.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I just saw a Mobil 1 commercial for the first time that I've never seen before. Tony Stewart was the main focus of the commercial. Coincidence? :tinfoil:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm a big fan of the helmet toss. Gets your point across and reduces the chances of being murdered by Tony Stewart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
I can't rationalize what was going on in Tony Stewart's head when he decided to pull that off...

• Locked thread