Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

That match sucked and I will not hear otherwise

Lesnar/Angle, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That match was fun just for Lesnar taking the route of beating Angle stupid with a chair, eating the DQ and then pinning him like three times because he'd just been beaten with a chair.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I think i liked the rock/hhh one but I don't remember much about it so maybe not. hbk/bret was really boring to me but I watched it like 12 years after the fact.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

I was watching when it happened, but I don't remember: how did Chris Jericho and Chyna wind up being co-Intercontinental champions?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ZDar Fan posted:

I was watching when it happened, but I don't remember: how did Chris Jericho and Chyna wind up being co-Intercontinental champions?

They pinned one another simultaneously.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So with the Miz's new Hollywood/Johnny Cage gimmick I was thinking about back in the attitude era how many guys would gradually change their characters until they were completely different. Like Mankind going from psycho to lovable underdog or The Ultimate Fighter Kama slowly becoming the Godfather. The Miz has done this over the course of his career but I can't think of many other performers right now making that many changes. But please correct me, which wrestlers in the current roster have made changes to their character that you can point to?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

So with the Miz's new Hollywood/Johnny Cage gimmick I was thinking about back in the attitude era how many guys would gradually change their characters until they were completely different. Like Mankind going from psycho to lovable underdog or The Ultimate Fighter Kama slowly becoming the Godfather. The Miz has done this over the course of his career but I can't think of many other performers right now making that many changes. But please correct me, which wrestlers in the current roster have made changes to their character that you can point to?

Kane was a scary Demon once. Then he put away his mask and became all corporate. In a twist of fate, he regained his mask and became The Demon Kane. Then he gave up his mask again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

John Cena, most obviously. There was no single big moment where he went from the Doctor of Thuganomics rapper to the Marine to whatever he is now.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Aside from Brutus Beefcake, who's had the most names / gimmicks over the course of their career?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Ghostpilot posted:

Aside from Brutus Beefcake, who's had the most names / gimmicks over the course of their career?

IRS?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostpilot posted:

Bossman?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cody Rhodes is rackin' em up at an impressive pace.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Steve Lombardi has to be up there.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When the hell did IRS ever use this theme? -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGJvlZxKnOE

When I was a kid I always remembered him coming out to no music, but in the video games he always had a theme song that sounded like a stock ticker/typewriter, which I'm assuming is based on the above song.

Was he maybe supposed to debut as Michael Wallstreet before Vince changed his gimmick?

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Barry Darsow.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

Probably the steroids

Also the worst gimmick match not mentioned is Iron Man
There's a reason that 60-minute broadways are rarely used nowadays; they were an attraction in the 70s but it got to the point where you could tell in the first 10 minutes that it was going to go the distance.

Ghostpilot posted:

Stan Frazier (Uncle Elmer/Plowboy Frazier) has actually been billed under more names than BB, but many of them were slight variations and obviously the same character.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Does CMLL do iPPVs? I can pretty much see all of AAA via their official YouTube and iPPV, and I can see individual matches from CMLL via a Dailymotion site, but I'm not even going to bother following them if I can't see their big shows/PPVs.

I've been watching AAA for a month or two and I really like it.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Burt Buckle posted:

Does CMLL do iPPVs? I can pretty much see all of AAA via their official YouTube and iPPV, and I can see individual matches from CMLL via a Dailymotion site, but I'm not even going to bother following them if I can't see their big shows/PPVs.

iirc terra.com streams the first half of their friday arena mexico shows.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I thought CMLL was dying and their attendance was at record lows?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

iirc terra.com streams the first half of their friday arena mexico shows.

They stopped doing that a few weeks ago.

Luigi Thirty posted:

They're struggling badly with their normal shows and might be in real deep poo poo if they didn't own their buildings. They can still pack in great crowds for big shows though. They're teasing/promising an Atlantis/Ultimo Guerrero apuestas match again this year for their big anniversary show and Meltzer expects it to be a record gate for them.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 10, 2014

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

It'd be really hard for them to die because they own the buildings they run in and can charge nice fees for indie groups to use Mistico II. However it is getting really tough for talent to make a living because they get paid on a percentage of the gate.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Thauros posted:

They're struggling badly with their normal shows and might be in real deep poo poo if they didn't own their buildings. They can still pack in great crowds for big shows though. They're teasing/promising an Atlantis/Ultimo Guerrero apuestas match again this year for their big anniversary show and Meltzer expects it to be a record gate for them.

Hopefully they follow through this time.

I wonder where they go from here. It seems like Atlantis/UG is their last money match up and the younger guys featured in Idolo are too raw to be in top angles as of yet.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Iron Man matches don't stink because they're long, they stink because there's no drama. I've seen 30 minute iron man matches that weren't any good.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRafTer posted:

It'd be really hard for them to die because they own the buildings they run in and can charge nice fees for indie groups to use Mistico II. However it is getting really tough for talent to make a living because they get paid on a percentage of the gate.
Plus Paco Alonso holds grudges that he can't afford to sometimes.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Burt Buckle posted:

As far as I know they don't do PPVs? All the big matches make TV a week or so after the fact and then thecubsfan's YouTube/DailyMotion like a week after that. The average match quality there is hardly great so I'm fine just watching the good stuff.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What wrestler(s) did you absolutely despise as a kid that you now love and appreciate?

For example, when I was younger in the late 80s/early 90s, I hated Ted DiBiase because he was rich and used his money to humiliate people and do things like buy the WWF title. Also, he was a coward. Now, of course, I realize just how brilliant his gimmick was and how incredibly he sold it every second he was on screen. I also found Owen Hart to be boring, his promos cheesy and barely paid attention to his wrestling. As I grew up, I saw that the cheese was part of the charm and that he was great in the ring.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What wrestler(s) did you absolutely despise as a kid that you now love and appreciate?

For example, when I was younger in the late 80s/early 90s, I hated Ted DiBiase because he was rich and used his money to humiliate people and do things like buy the WWF title. Also, he was a coward. Now, of course, I realize just how brilliant his gimmick was and how incredibly he sold it every second he was on screen. I also found Owen Hart to be boring, his promos cheesy and barely paid attention to his wrestling. As I grew up, I saw that the cheese was part of the charm and that he was great in the ring.
I was like that with DiBiase, Rude and 'Stunning' Steve Austin.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

As a kid, I was a huge Sting fan, so I hated, HATED Ric Flair.

I learned.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Goldust made me uncomfortable as a kid, so I hated him. Now I get that that's like the whole point.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Stone Cold Steve Austin. I thought his in-ring style was the drizzling shits, and he was the idol of everyone I hated in high school.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Blast Fantasto posted:

Goldust made me uncomfortable as a kid, so I hated him. Now I get that that's like the whole point.

The original version of Goldust makes me uncomfortable as an adult because of how obvious it is that it's cheap homophobic heel heat. Some of the segments with him, like molesting an unconscious Taker while the audience screams "human being!", are really disgusting to watch.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

As a kid I hated edge. His chickenshit heeling was the best heeling at the time, and I was a dumb kid who fell for it all. I now see why I hated him - he was good at it and nobody else was. Dude ruled in retrospect.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I hated the Rock, because he kept beating up Mankind and Mankind was just the best.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Another Person posted:

As a kid I hated edge. His chickenshit heeling was the best heeling at the time, and I was a dumb kid who fell for it all. I now see why I hated him - he was good at it and nobody else was. Dude ruled in retrospect.
He himself said that whenever he starts getting cheered, he goes out of his way to make them turn against him to maintain his heel heat.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Jacques Rougeau, or both The Quebecers in general. I hated them so much when Bret and Owen couldn't get the belts off them, and now that I look back they're both hilarious to watch(OSW sort of helped bring Jacques back to my memory at least).

Conversely, Pierre helped me learn how much of a scumbag HBK was back in the day.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jeff Jarrett. Obviously the Double J gimmick in WWE sucked, but from CH-CH-CHOSEN ONE onwards, he's been great. Really underrated in the ring too.

Blasmeister posted:

Heel-run Jericho did something similar. He'd come up with heel mannerisms, and if any of them started to actually get over with the crowd (like "ASK HIM!") he'd immediately stop doing them.

Same reason JBL stopped doing the fallaway slam too.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Aug 10, 2014

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Perigryn posted:

He himself said that whenever he starts getting cheered, he goes out of his way to make them turn against him to maintain his heel heat.

Heel-run Jericho did something similar. He'd come up with heel mannerisms, and if any of them started to actually get over with the crowd (like "ASK HIM!") he'd immediately stop doing them.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I wasn't even a kid and Edge was still so good at heeling I hated him.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Jeff Jarrett. Obviously the Double J gimmick in WWE sucked, but from CH-CH-CHOSEN ONE onwards, he's been great. Really underrated in the ring too.

Same reason JBL stopped doing the fallaway slam too.

I never thought I'd like JJ and yet here we are. Once they ditch the Country Singer gimmick he gets better, and he's a genuinely good wrestler too. It's just a shame that by the time it all started to click he was left by the wayside.

I think I asked this exact same question in the thread a few weeks ago but there's a ton of guys that thanks to the Network, or stuff like OSW review, I've come to appreciate. Rude is one, DiBiase I love now, Owen, Boss Man, The Rougeau Brothers, Perfect. The list goes on. In a lot of ways I admire the mid-card guys more than the main folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

I wasn't even a kid and Edge was still so good at heeling I hated him.

Edge was the top heel when I came back to watching WWE in 08. Edge was too goddamn good. Save_Us.RatedRSuperstar