Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

Man, look where that hand's grabbing.

Devs are so sexist these days.

They don't call him the Bone Master for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

They don't call him the Bone Master for nothing.

He probably has a bone in his inventory.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Is that a bone in your inventory or are you just glad to see me?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Great Rumbler posted:

Duke Grabowski:

I knew that it immediately reminded me of Monkey Island 2, but wooooooooow.

Also that pirate wench is pretty much just a blonde Elaine Marley in high-heel boots (looooool) but I guess there's only so many wench designs to go through.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The video for the Duke Grabowski kickstarter isn't particularly great either. It's incredibly dry, which isn't a good idea when you're doing a Monkey Island homage where the make-or-break factor is wit.

Overall it feels like the polar opposite of the Nelly Cootalot pirate adventure game kickstarter which funded last year, which had one of the best pitch videos I've seen. Plus Nelly Cootalot had a freeware game already out so you knew what level of writing you would be getting.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

So who wants Jagged Alliance set in the Wild West?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752350052/hard-west

I love how the turn-based gameplay really fits with the violent shootouts.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

halokiller posted:

So who wants Jagged Alliance set in the Wild West?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1752350052/hard-west

I love how the turn-based gameplay really fits with the violent shootouts.

The premise is solid but it worries me that no one seems to be taking cover. They're all just standing and shooting at each other.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yes all right, they have activated the correct key words, I will throw some money at 'Wild West X-Com'.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
It looks good enough for my £8, but why the hell is a polish team collecting in Canadian dollars? That's both bizarre and will hurt their chances compared to US dollars or even £.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Ninja Pizza Girl needs just over $4k in 3 days! Seems like a solid 2D platformer about teenage bullying and ninja pizza delivery.

Unfortunately they didn't upload their Kickstarter pitch to YouTube and the gifs are all too big to host and all of the gameplay demos have nerds talking over them so here's an older trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqCOnyEj1TA

Kiavahr
Oct 17, 2013

Outrageous Lumpwad

Megazver posted:

The premise is solid but it worries me that no one seems to be taking cover. They're all just standing and shooting at each other.

The very first gif is of a guy kicking over a table and crouching behind it for cover.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kiavahr posted:

The very first gif is of a guy kicking over a table and crouching behind it for cover.

Kicking it over, yes. Crouching? It's kind of hard to tell.

EDIT: They did answer my question about it in the comments, though. Apparently they did implement a cover system.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Megazver posted:

Kicking it over, yes. Crouching? I don't see it.

He kicks it over, crouches, they fire, he stands up and fires

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chairchucker posted:

Yes all right, they have activated the correct key words, I will throw some money at 'Wild West X-Com'.
... and I will accept ricochet shots as a reasonable alternative to blaster bombs :neckbeard:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Shalinor posted:

... and I will accept ricochet shots as a reasonable alternative to blaster bombs :neckbeard:

Is that . . a piss laser?

Because I would play that game but I don't understand how it fits in the old west.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

You're pretty good :ocelot::clint:!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is that . . a piss laser?

Because I would play that game but I don't understand how it fits in the old west.

Cowboys and Ocelots both spend years mastering how to weaponize their piss in case of an emergency.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Here' another recent Kickstarter, Woolfe. It's practically Not-American McGee's Alice, but it seems good enough and they have a good amount to show,(I also like the Alice games and this seems to have a similar tone of being dark without being stupid edgy) so I threw in $10.

The game's coming out no matter what (And there's going to be a demo at Gamescom), but the campaign is for expanding on the game, namely making a magic system.

Also Jenny McClue got funded. I threw in 10 bucks on it too when they were having one of their flash early birds. If it ends up crashing and burning I won't mind, but it does look like it could be quite fun so I hope they can make it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Why come up with fresh ideas when you can just alter existing ones?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Accordion Man posted:

Here' another recent Kickstarter, Woolfe. It's practically Not-American McGee's Alice, but it seems good enough and they have a good amount to show,(I also like the Alice games and this seems to have a similar tone of being dark without being stupid edgy) so I threw in $10.

The game's coming out no matter what (And there's going to be a demo at Gamescom), but the campaign is for expanding on the game, namely making a magic system.

Also Jenny McClue got funded. I threw in 10 bucks on it too when they were having one of their flash early birds. If it ends up crashing and burning I won't mind, but it does look like it could be quite fun so I hope they can make it.
On the one hand: there's been a lot of Alice stuff. On the other - it looks AWESOME.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That looks about a million times better than Alice: Madness Returns which wasn't the worst game in the world, just overly long and bland in that lovely "edgy" Tim Burton kinda way.

e: i think this also makes Woolfe about the fourth gaming coming out in the next year to feature a Red Riding Hood character

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The controversial 90s FMV game Night Trap is being remastered in HD :pcgaming:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1018579240/night-trap-revamped

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
In another Kickstarter attempt to revive an old game I bring you Night Trap.

Yeah, Night Trap, the awful FMV game that would have been completely forgotten if politicians didn't flip their shits over nothing.

They want $330,000 for it.

Yeah.

^^^^

You motherfu-

:haw:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

JordanKai posted:

The controversial 90s FMV game Night Trap is being remastered in HD :pcgaming:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1018579240/night-trap-revamped

This is dumb. This is real, real dumb. This ironic appreciation of bad games has to stop!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

This is dumb. This is real, real dumb. This ironic appreciation of bad games has to stop!

The thing is that nowhere near as many people actually appreciate bad games as these kickstarter creators seem to think. Neither this not Boogerman ever had a chance of getting funded and Shaq Fu 2 only barely eeked by with quite a bit of money being tossed in by the devs themselves.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

JordanKai posted:

The thing is that nowhere near as many people actually appreciate bad games as these kickstarter creators seem to think. Neither this not Boogerman ever had a chance of getting funded and Shaq Fu 2 only barely eeked by with quite a bit of money being tossed in by the devs themselves.

It's really weird because it seems like the entire kickstarter is focused on making new physical copies of the game? Why...

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It's either an extremely poorly thought-out plan of distribution campaign in general or there's a complicated distribution right regarding the game's content. I'm leaning the former, though.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The new Sierra Games is apparently going to have a Kickstarter, despite being part of a multi-million dollar company: https://twitter.com/sierra_games/status/498850248115355648

e: fake, account has two tweets and not verified, IGNORE THIS

Zeether fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 11, 2014

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Zeether posted:

The new Sierra Games is apparently going to have a Kickstarter, despite being part of a multi-million dollar company: https://twitter.com/sierra_games/status/498850248115355648

That twitter account is fake.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Zeether posted:

e: might be a joke, account isn't even verified and only has 2 tweets so far

Came to post that it's likely a joke account. e:fb

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Refract took a break from news updates for a month or so and then released a huge patch to Distance. Then a fan made this video showcasing the new things it brought in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJne-bId5nE
Refract then put it on their website because it's pretty well done. They say it's the last update before the game goes beta, so if you haven't already gotten in on the beta level, this is the time to do it.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 11, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I really, really hope this does well for them. The story thus far is one of my favorite Kickstarter successes to date. Kids made game in uni, it does so well that they launch a Kickstarter for it to overcome said university's assholeish control of the IP, that succeeds, game comes together BEAUTIFULLY... now we just need a "and it makes them a million dollars" bow on it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shalinor posted:

I really, really hope this does well for them. The story thus far is one of my favorite Kickstarter successes to date. Kids made game in uni, it does so well that they launch a Kickstarter for it to overcome said university's assholeish control of the IP, that succeeds, game comes together BEAUTIFULLY... now we just need a "and it makes them a million dollars" bow on it.

Have they said if they're planning to port to console after completion? Because that kind of game looks like it'd play and profit pretty wonderfully on consoles.

It's a Unity game, which is a good start for porting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 11, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Have they said if they're planning to port to console after completion? Because that kind of game looks like it'd play and profit pretty wonderfully on consoles.
(BIZ CHAT)

Consoles don't usually perform better than PC, for anyone at our scope. They're just a percentage of your sales, which is to say, however well you do on desktop * (%) is how well you do on consoles. The most you can hope for is that that's (100%). It's simple math - the audience that cares about small games on consoles just isn't huge, compared to the mammoth that is Steam, so without amazing store placement (which you don't really get without a super special relationship with Microsoft or Sony that usually means exclusive), your sales cap out pretty well below the full install base.

So, the stat to watch is how well they do on desktop. That'll tell you how well they're going to do period. Ports will just magnify that. Mobile ports are a bit different, and can potentially blow the doors off your numbers, but that's so stupendously rare as to not be worth even thinking about.

EDIT: VV Interesting thought! Though there's a lot of other good reasons to stage your releases. If your game is hitting a new huge market every few months, it keeps you in the press, and every new platform release actually feeds back into more sales on your pre-existing platforms. It's also easier to handle cost-wise, since those ports cost money you probably don't have pre-release (which is why we're staging ours). I've been talking with the Shovel Knight guys, and they wanted to see my numbers and compare notes. We'll hopefully get a sense for whether "ALL AT ONCE" or "staged over the months post-release" is the right play, for additional platforms.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 11, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The reason I haven't bought Shovel Knight yet is because I'm unsure if I want the Steam, Wii U or 3DS release. Releasing on multiple platforms might paralyze someone into not making a choice.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shalinor posted:

(BIZ CHAT)

Consoles don't usually perform better than PC, for anyone at our scope. They're just a percentage of your sales, which is to say, however well you do on desktop * (%) is how well you do on consoles. The most you can hope for is that that's (100%). It's simple math - the audience that cares about small games on consoles just isn't huge, compared to the mammoth that is Steam, so without amazing store placement (which you don't really get without a super special relationship with Microsoft or Sony that usually means exclusive), your sales cap out pretty well below the full install base.

So, the stat to watch is how well they do on desktop. That'll tell you how well they're going to do period. Ports will just magnify that. Mobile ports are a bit different, and can potentially blow the doors off your numbers, but that's so stupendously rare as to not be worth even thinking about.

Fair enough. I was asking because as a genre it feels like racing's always been more popular on console than PC, especially since they have splitscreen multiplayer, but I suppose that's more just the impression I got because I only really see the big visible super-releases.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Shalinor posted:

You pretty much summed up every reason I will never stop shilling this game here. Well, there's also the fact that both games are really, really good, and that the world needs more crazy car games.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Shalinor posted:

Goddamn it, this is making me strongly reconsider my "no more backing video game kickstarters" rule. :clint:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Hard West posted:

It’s easy to destroy and kill, and much harder to survive and build something. With long enough timeline, the survival rate of everything drops to zero.

I am Jack's lack of originality.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Suspicious Dish posted:

The reason I haven't bought Shovel Knight yet is because I'm unsure if I want the Steam, Wii U or 3DS release. Releasing on multiple platforms might paralyze someone into not making a choice.

The answer is to triple dip. :colbert:

Also that Wolfe game looks pretty drat cool. Also fourth red hood game this year? The hell is up with the resurgence of red riding hood all of a sudden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Shalinor posted:

As a current Digipen student, Nitronic Rush/Distance is definitely the success story du jour here. Last year so many teams made racing/couch co-op games in the same vein that it was...sort of embarrassing. The projects ranged from crap to actually pretty dang good.

And I dunno if I'd call the control of the IP 'assholish' seeing as the school was in full support during the Kickstarter, and the university's president was one of the 10k backers. I saw it more as 'Hey we control the IP because of Legal Reasons but Refract has our full blessing to make Definitely Not Nitronic Rush.' But I'm probably (definitely) biased/brainwashed by this school, so :v: