Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

If there's one thing Fallout needs, it's trees. FO2 had the same murky-brown graphics as FO1, but adding trees gave the setting a little diversity. The addition of some flora to the ecosystem would really give the next game an aesthetic edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If there's one thing Fallout needs, it's trees. FO2 had the same murky-brown graphics as FO1, but adding trees gave the setting a little diversity. The addition of some flora to the ecosystem would really give the next game an aesthetic edge.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39856/

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Supposedly the cancelled sequel to Fallout Tactics took place in a swampy southern area that has been retaken by an irradiated GECK. I would've liked to see that, even if Fallout Tactics was not the greatest game in the world.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

The ending should have been Thor showing up and fading to black as he and Kratos square off, setting the stage for God of War IV: Midgard. :black101:

I would have been fine with Horus or Anubis too.

That was David Jaffe's original plan for III (you'd kill the Three Brothers in rapid succession, then the other mythologies' gods would swarm in to conquer Greece).

I don't much care for it, tbh. I mean, if Ra exists, why did the Sun fall from the sky when Helios was captured by Atlas? And the only Norse god anybody cares about is Thor, but we've already spent two games fighting a Thunder God. "Fight the God of Thunder yet again...with a hammer! (Totally different from fighting Zeus with the Blade or the Barbarian King, honest)".

Now a GoW knockoff, like Dante's Inferno, set in Norse or Egyptian myth would be pretty cool.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2

The concept itself is a neat idea. Nature is coming back to the wasteland but not the way humans like it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Byzantine posted:

That was David Jaffe's original plan for III (you'd kill the Three Brothers in rapid succession, then the other mythologies' gods would swarm in to conquer Greece).

I don't much care for it, tbh. I mean, if Ra exists, why did the Sun fall from the sky when Helios was captured by Atlas? And the only Norse god anybody cares about is Thor, but we've already spent two games fighting a Thunder God. "Fight the God of Thunder yet again...with a hammer! (Totally different from fighting Zeus with the Blade or the Barbarian King, honest)".

Now a GoW knockoff, like Dante's Inferno, set in Norse or Egyptian myth would be pretty cool.

If games in general tried to use mythology other than Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and Japanese would just be great.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Croccers posted:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Tactics_2

The concept itself is a neat idea. Nature is coming back to the wasteland but not the way humans like it.

That sounds really cool...

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If games in general tried to use mythology other than Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and Japanese would just be great.

That leaves a lot of very unpopular mythologies that nobody knows anything about. Everyone knows Zeus. Not many people know quetzalcoatl.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record is a really fun and ridiculous experience overall, but there are a couple of little burrs in my saddle. Loading times are obnoxious. It takes forever to load between areas (the plaza to Fortune Park transition is one of the most obvious ones, since it's the fastest route to some missions), and when you go to save the game loads for an extra long time. It might just be because I'm playing the PS3 version, but it always has to search out the HDD and wait forever.

Also holy gently caress every idle animation Frank does is irritating.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I want to storm through the Andes as the avatar of Quetzalcoatl as we invade for the glory of the Emperor and to acquire sacrifices to stop the world dying.

On the topic of load times, holy poo poo are the ones in UFC Undisputed 3 long. I love the game and I've been doing some career mode lately but I swear I spend longer looking at loading screens than I do playing the drat thing.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Action Tortoise posted:

Oh man, I remember that fight. It was a rehash of Two Face's fight in Arkham City's Catwoman DLC. Robin has one as well against Harley. People complained about samey boss fights in Asylum but they keep doing these stealth battles.

Stealth scenarios are already mostly annoying to me, because if you're not in the right groove, they're just a lot of waiting. And then these stealth boss fights come along, and the patrolling goons spawn infinitely. It's the worst thing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

In the six minutes it took this PS2 game to load a single level, my wide-eyed innocence was lost, and I learned the harsh reality that Insomniac was in a better place, but Spyro was not.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Remember that Wii game Sadness that never finished? It was gonna be about Hungarian folklore.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Captain Lavender posted:

Stealth scenarios are already mostly annoying to me, because if you're not in the right groove, they're just a lot of waiting. And then these stealth boss fights come along, and the patrolling goons spawn infinitely. It's the worst thing.

Yep. Clear a whole room so you can focus solely on the bad guy. Then a monster closet spawns more thugs. :cripes:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall is a huge step up from the original campaign, but christ the story party members are the most useless loving scrubs I've ever had to carry through an RPG. I'm currently on the last mission and while my character consistently crits 30+ damage with every shot and almost never misses, these assholes miss four out of five shots and only do around 15 damage on average when they do bother to hit their target. Especially loving Dietrich, who can't get through a simple milkrun without two trauma kits and platinum med unit.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Esroc posted:

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall is a huge step up from the original campaign, but christ the story party members are the most useless loving scrubs I've ever had to carry through an RPG. I'm currently on the last mission and while my character consistently crits 30+ damage with every shot and almost never misses, these assholes miss four out of five shots and only do around 15 damage on average when they do bother to hit their target. Especially loving Dietrich, who can't get through a simple milkrun without two trauma kits and platinum med unit.

Dietrich isnt a combat troop, you idiot. His whole job is casting haste on glory.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

That leaves a lot of very unpopular mythologies that nobody knows anything about. Everyone knows Zeus. Not many people know quetzalcoatl.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Quetzalcoatl :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm pretty sure however that ol' Quetzy was not the God of making playing cards into all the broken poo poo in the universe. Do you know what his actual mythology is? The God of always being misspelled 500 years after his worship ended? Jesus never had that problem.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Mister Adequate posted:

I want to storm through the Andes as the avatar of Quetzalcoatl as we invade for the glory of the Emperor and to acquire sacrifices to stop the world dying.

Quetzalcoatl is an Aztec god and the Incans were in the Andes :colbert:

This is why we can't have nice things.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

I summoned that dude in Dawn of Sorrow a lot, and deities tend to show up in RPG's all the time.
And then sometimes they ask you for a gun, you'll give them one, and then they run off. Asses.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

The God of always being misspelled 500 years after his worship ended? Jesus never had that problem.

You mean Yeshua of Nazareth? :colbert:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

WickedHate posted:

You mean Yeshua of Nazareth? :colbert:

Surely he means Joshua :colbert:

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Calaveron posted:

Surely he means Joshua :colbert:

Shut up about Jeremy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

kazil posted:

Quetzalcoatl is an Aztec god and the Incans were in the Andes :colbert:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Yes, which is why we are invading the Andes. :colbert:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

No one knew the shadow of the colossus world until the game came out. An unpopular mythology is a premade set if characters that your audience doesn't yet know enough about to be bored with, and I cannot understand why more games don't exploit that.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

SiKboy posted:

No one knew the shadow of the colossus world until the game came out. An unpopular mythology is a premade set if characters that your audience doesn't yet know enough about to be bored with, and I cannot understand why more games don't exploit that.

Because it's a matter of marketing and familiarity. 'We're making a game about Greek mythology' is more appealing than 'We're making a game about Pacific Islander mythology'. Unless you're an indie game studio that has something innovative to bring to the market, you're not going to risk using a field that less people are familiar with. And most AAA studios are pouring a lot of money into a game and they are not going to risk it going into say African mythology without a really good plan. If they did, I imagine 20% of players would find it interesting and new, 40% wouldn't care because it's not about Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythology, and the other 40% would troll (some sincerely) and say 'gently caress this X/sand/island - ni**er mythology. I want to kill Zeus. Way to miss the mark <Game Studio>!'

The Japanese are really good at appropriating an existing mythology and spinning an epic yarn about it, but I can't say the same about creating a mythology whole cloth. A lot a studios have tried to do that, and how many do you remember have a lasting effect on culture?

Rick_Hunter has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Aug 10, 2014

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
In the first boss fight of The Wonderful 101, there is an unskippable, 30-second "power up" cutscene before the loading screen for the battle proper. You have to watch it every single time you retry the stage, which, because this is a Platinum game, turns out to be a lot. Later boss battles shorten this sequence to maybe 10 seconds, and often occur right before the actual battle, so they're probably masking a loading time, but that's clearly not true in the first boss' case.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garshasp:_The_Monster_Slayer

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Papers, Please is a fun little game, and my purchase was actually inspired by comments made in the "good things in games" sister thread. I've been passing the time playing "endless mode", which is exactly what you'd think it to be, but it doesn't seem to save your high score if you then quit the game straight out when you're done.

I want my place on the leaderboard, darn it!

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
State of Decay is a third person action\zombie survival game with wonky resource management, permadeath, and an autosave anytime something bad happens. I just lost 3 characters to absurd bullshit. The first corpse was an ally who didn't want to follow me up a ladder or wait patiently, so he just ran wildly around into a mob and got swarmed before I could do anything. Just goddamn absurd pathfinding on display and he was basically done for before I even reached the ground. I had gone up the ladder to scout and see if it was dangerous around, so I was basically screwed because I tried to be cautious.

After that I wanted to do something low stress, so I accepted a mission for killing a Military Zombie. There are 5 types of special zombies and the Military\Swat are the easiest, just a slightly tougher regular zombie basically. It's probably the simplest mission in the game, go to point A, kill one special, and you're done. You even have an AI helper. Unfortunately, when I get there my questgiver is bugged. He literally does not move or react to anything but can still be damaged. He won't follow me to the objective and he won't defend himself, so I have to double back like 3 times to babysit him. Ironically, everyone would have lived if the first guy was the one to get this bug. I finish the mission, but he still won't move. So I get an idea, I'll switch control and play as the stuck guy. It works! But now my original character is AI controlled and running back to base and grabbing all sorts of attention on his way back. He's on his knees before I even have my bearings.

I don't know how many normal zombies there were at first, but within a split second there was a Screamer and a Bloater. Bloaters drop a poison cloud on kamikaze\death so I blast him first. The screamer's cry attracts more zombies (in addition to my unsilenced gunshot). Among these new zombies are another Bloater from the other side, so when I shoot him I have about 3 feet of clearance between the clouds. Stepping into the cloud even once can possibly make your character die of sickness later. I've read that it won't happen to playable characters but, yeah, that is a thing that has also happened to me this playthrough. Was it a bug? Who knows. In any event I'm on a barely geared, unskilled, unfamiliar character fighting off a huge fuckoff swarm which now includes a Feral (fast\strong). 4 special zombies in the span of 3 seconds and they brought all hell with them. Where did they even all come from? I cleared out a poo poo ton of zombies during the false starts of the mission itself but there was just a non-stop flow of them.

In any event characters #2 and #3 died and in my panic I shot a tire off of my truck. I guess that last part's on me though. :downs:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mennonites Revenge posted:

In the first boss fight of The Wonderful 101, there is an unskippable, 30-second "power up" cutscene before the loading screen for the battle proper. You have to watch it every single time you retry the stage, which, because this is a Platinum game, turns out to be a lot. Later boss battles shorten this sequence to maybe 10 seconds, and often occur right before the actual battle, so they're probably masking a loading time, but that's clearly not true in the first boss' case.

You're right, it is masking a load time. I have no idea why the first instance isn't skippable, but at least its flashy and more entertaining to look at than a load screen?

Edit: Wait, there's an actual load screen for the first boss? :psyduck:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Overweight Shark posted:

State of Decay

This thing bringing SoD down for me was how after the release of Lifeline they tuned survivor...survivability down so low that as soon as you clap eyes on them fighting zombies, they go down. It makes rescuing people an absolute nightmare because they'll often go down twice before you can fight off the initial wave that got them, so if you encounter any zombies after that you may as well write them off because getting so much as grazed is going to be the end of them.

I haven't played in a while so maybe they dialed it back up a notch. Survivors were pretty beastly before, but I think they went too far in the other direction.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I haven't played the game since it came out but there were a couple of things that really dragged State of Decay down for me. Like the entire real time aspect where things took actual days to do and if you don't play for more than a couple of days when you turn the game back on bad things will have happened to your characters. The base building stuff was kind of annoying because even the biggest base wouldn't let you build all the upgrades.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That stuff isn't as bad as you'd think. Most construction projects take a real time hour or less, and the amount of time that can progress while you have the game turned off is close to the same. You can still come back to a situation that's pretty hosed up based on what you left behind, though, but it generally won't be unsalvageable--you may have a couple people who have run off and need rescuing, a few supplies will be low, but it mostly just means when you jump into the game you have something to do.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

ChaosArgate posted:

You're right, it is masking a load time. I have no idea why the first instance isn't skippable, but at least its flashy and more entertaining to look at than a load screen?

Edit: Wait, there's an actual load screen for the first boss? :psyduck:

The sequence for 001-C (Ohrowchee and Laambo) is:

1. You select operation 001-C from the Operation Select screen, or, if you just completed 001-B, hit the "Next" button from that screen with the Wonderful Mart in the background.
  2. Small load time.
  3. Skippable cutscene aboard the Virgin Victory.
  4. Unskippable 45-second Unlimited Form cutscene.
  5. Small load time.
  6. Longer load time (you control characters in the virtual green practice room during this time).
  7. Small load time (character calls out the game's title, but, at least for the downloadable version, the loading's done by the time they start talking and I can just hit A to skip).
  8. Skippable cutscene in the actual boss map.
  9. You get control on the Virgin Victory's deck.

I'm saying that step 4 should be skippable, because it's immediately followed by a longer loading section anyway, so either it's not masking any loading, or it is and skipping it could just cause step 6 to take longer (which is fine by me, as I can keep practicing instead of being thrown off by waiting).

In the next boss (002-C), this unskippable cutscene (1) is shorter, since Nelson doesn't speak, and (2) happens in the middle of the playable segment anyway, so it makes sense that it would mask the loading needed for the rest of the boss.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rick_Hunter posted:

Because it's a matter of marketing and familiarity. 'We're making a game about Greek mythology' is more appealing than 'We're making a game about Pacific Islander mythology'. Unless you're an indie game studio that has something innovative to bring to the market, you're not going to risk using a field that less people are familiar with. And most AAA studios are pouring a lot of money into a game and they are not going to risk it going into say African mythology without a really good plan. If they did, I imagine 20% of players would find it interesting and new, 40% wouldn't care because it's not about Greek/Norse/Egyptian mythology, and the other 40% would troll (some sincerely) and say 'gently caress this X/sand/island - ni**er mythology. I want to kill Zeus. Way to miss the mark <Game Studio>!'

The Japanese are really good at appropriating an existing mythology and spinning an epic yarn about it, but I can't say the same about creating a mythology whole cloth. A lot a studios have tried to do that, and how many do you remember have a lasting effect on culture?

I guess my point is, whats the essential difference between playing a game as Kratos (A made up character inserted in greek mythology), Ezio (A made up character inserted in a historical setting that most of the games players will not be particularly familiar with), Dishonoured Corvo (a character and setting both entirely created by the game designers) or a hypothetical game where you play as a made up character interacting with Anansi the Spiderman and assorted other west african deities? Only in the first case can you say that most players would have a passing knowledge of the games universe (because of assorted TV shows/Books/films most people will at least known Zeus, Ares and Aphrodite).

I dont see that using an unusual mythology (Something other than greek/norse/egyptian (although I cant offhand think of many games that mine egyptian mythology particularly aside from in the most surface "Get the sceptre of amun-ra from the tombs but beware the mummy" type way)) is more of a risk than using an original world entirely created. If a brawler came out called the Legend of Finn MacCool, or a Dishonoured-like stealth game where you are Anansi stealing the stories from Nyame the sky god then people are familiar the the legends have some recognition. People who have never heard of these characters wouldnt have had recognition with hypothetical original creation "Generic tolkeinesque fantasy man punches orks" or indeed the real Dishonoured when it was made. An existing property is always going to be less of a risk than a new IP (sad but true, which is why there are so many sequels and adaptations compared to attempts at new IP), but yet new IP still gets attempted. An unusual mythology would be a good compromise; There is an existing IP with some name recognition, but its not as overplayed as Thor/Odin/Zeus, so there is something new there.

I'd extend that to settings as well as mythology in a more general case. I've never even been to the US but my loving god am I bored of new york city. Assassins Creed is pretty bad for this too, they keep name dropping assassins from reletively unexplored (in video games) places and periods but then not following through on it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They should have the next Assassin's Creed game take place in 1890's Minneapolis.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

RyokoTK posted:

They should have the next Assassin's Creed game take place in 1890's Minneapolis.

Ugh, Minneapolis is too mainstream.

How about something like Fargo or Bismark?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

For about a second my brain processed this as 1980's Milwaukee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

kazil posted:

Ugh, Minneapolis is too mainstream.

How about something like Fargo or Bismark?

Fargo - A Home-Spun Assassination Story