Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

That's really not that different from Pittsburgh fans, really the divide between Cleveland and Pittsburgh is very narrow and only seperated by the fact that we win and our city isn't as economically depressed.

Don't disagree.

The real fans of both sides are part of the reason the rivalry is (in my view) the OSU/MICH, ALA/AUB of the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Cleveland-Pittsburgh rivalry was actually the Republic Steel-US Steel rivalry.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Sash! posted:

The Cleveland-Pittsburgh rivalry was actually the Republic Steel-US Steel rivalry.

Hell Carnegie and Rockefeller were going at it in the 1900's back in the day.

It pre-dates pro football.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FuzzySkinner posted:

Don't disagree.

The real fans of both sides are part of the reason the rivalry is (in my view) the OSU/MICH, ALA/AUB of the NFL.
You know I can't just build up the hatred though, never really had problems with Browns fans. I save up my hatred for Philly and Baltimore, but then again that's also more of a silent hatred since anytime I saw a person wearing a Ravens or Flyers jersey I knew I would get murdered if I talked poo poo.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Hell Carnegie and Rockefeller were going at it in the 1900's back in the day.

It pre-dates pro football.
I wonder who won the "Fight to see who can gently caress over his workers the most" contest?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think it was that funny or anything but it was done as a goof. It was done to have some fun. No reason for ESPN to suspend him. I wonder if someone with the NBA called up to complain.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm really ready for this NBA journalism meme to die.

quote:

No one from the organization can or will talk about the potential impact of Wiggins and fellow Toronto-born No.1-overall pick Anthony Bennett being traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves in a deal that will send Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Even Drake wouldn’t want to pay those fines.

But there is no doubt that everyone from MLSE president Tim Leiweke to Raptors general manager Masai Ujiri to Drake himself heard the news that the deal will be completed later this month—first reported by Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski—and gathered for some communal chest bumping.

Who knows what getting Wiggins out of Cleveland would have been like after he’d been to the NBA mountaintop alongside LeBron James?

Getting Wiggins out of Minnesota first chance? Easy as pie.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Sportswriters resorting to lazy regional stereotypes? Well I never

(seriously though, the writer of that article should loving die)

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

The more I think about the LeBetard thing? The more I don't care.

It's just more amusing more than anything.

The Cavs are having a lot of things going right for them this offseason, why should anyone in Cleveland remotely give a poo poo about 6 billboards?

If this 2010-2014? Sure, Cavs and Cleveland fans would have a right to be pissed about a taunting billboard. This isn't those years any more.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

oh my god are we seriously getting this poo poo before a guy has even played a game

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Groucho Marxist posted:

oh my god are we seriously getting this poo poo before a guy has even played a game

We're solidly into the third year of it now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Groucho Marxist posted:

That happened with LeBron and his top secret Nike contract that doubled if he played in New York too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

That happened with LeBron and his top secret Nike contract that doubled if he played in New York too.

The problem I always had with this idea is that, yeah, in theory Lebron would get more media exposure if he played for NYK, but the guy's already one of the most famous athletes in the world, so it's unnecessary, really. Plus, if he couldn't win a title while there, I have to think a fair bit of the exposure would be of the bad kind.

I mean, poo poo, he plays for Cleveland again and people are making note of his JOGGING HABITS.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The problem I always had with this idea is that, yeah, in theory Lebron would get more media exposure if he played for NYK, but the guy's already one of the most famous athletes in the world, so it's unnecessary, really. Plus, if he couldn't win a title while there, I have to think a fair bit of the exposure would be of the bad kind.

I mean, poo poo, he plays for Cleveland again and people are making note of his JOGGING HABITS.

Market size is nearly irrelevant in the world of Cable TV, and "Sunday Ticket/Extra Innings/Center Ice/League Pass" being very much things.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

And now we're getting it with Kevin Durant two years ahead of time.
And we got it with Kevin Love starting about 18 months ago.
And LeBron James about two years before he was out of Cleveland.
And about a year before Carmelo was traded out of Denver.

NBA media really does more than any other sports media in the United States to try to drum hype for player moves.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

NBA media really does more than any other sports media in the United States to try to drum hype for player moves.

Rightfully so. In no other sport does the landscape of the entire league change as much when a single player changes teams.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

Rightfully so. In no other sport does the landscape of the entire league change as much when a single player changes teams.
This is true, but when you start to drum potential changes more than a year ahead of time you can easily get into the realm of the absurd.

Or in the case of Wiggins, he hasn't even played a loving game.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ESPN Chicago is literally paying this man money:

Jon Greenburg posted:

CHICAGO -- “Get your Javy Nagila T-shirts! Get your Javy Nagila T-shirts!”

Sorry, just practicing for Friday. I printed up 10,000 of those shirts!

Just kidding. I’m having a good time.

With three homers in his first three games, Javier Baez is so "Good Times," we should call him "Dyn-o-mite!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Crazy Ted posted:

This is true, but when you start to drum potential changes more than a year ahead of time you can easily get into the realm of the absurd.

Or in the case of Wiggins, he hasn't even played a loving game.

It's kind of tough — I feel like the Love stuff, even a year or two ago, was legitimate news. He was unhappy, was considering opting out, and the sharks were circling. History at least validated that and the LeBron rumors.

The problem is it gets rehashed and debated and WHY ARE WE EVEN TALKING ABOUT THISed on Twitter and wherever to the point that mentioning it is instantly irritating. I don't really know who to blame for that.

The Wiggins thing is obviously something different and stupid.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Sportswriters resorting to lazy regional stereotypes? Well I never

(seriously though, the writer of that article should loving die)

All this really made me think about was how the Canadian national team might be able to make some noise in a few years. If they can actually get everyone to play.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Jon Greenberg kind of owns

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

So Max Kellerman also just got suspended for Ray Rice-related stuff:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/espn-suspends-max-kellerman-inappropriate-conversation-domestic-violence-article-1.1897365

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

If what this story says is accurate than the suspension seems stupid. Basically ESPN is being cowards about discussing this very real story and would rather just have everyone shut up than possibly have a moron reveal their true selves. That said, the story about Kellerman is hardly what I would call disturbing. If it was told as presented it doesn't sound like Kellerman was absolving Rice. Rather, speaking from his own experience, he was involved in something similar. Since I haven't heard the actual interview I can't really comment on what was said or in what tone.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Without even figuring out what I think about Max Kellerman's story, I think it's sort of reasonable for a media corporation to expect its employees to not admit to hitting a partner on air. Especially if, as the article says, they sat everyone down and specifically told them to handle the issue with kid gloves. Even if ESPN wants to put forth Kellerman's perspective, it's the kind of thing that's sensitive enough that you sit down with a group of people and talk about the best way to present it.

Certainly, this story gets to the heart of a very serious issue, and ESPN can do a lot of good by discussing it forthrightly. But because they have such a tremendously powerful voice, they also have a responsibility to be certain they don't do a lot of harm instead. So if an employee is going to shoot from the hip, they better have a spot-on take.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Sometimes the reasons things continue to happen is no one ever talks about them. If people who hit a girlfriend/spouse/whatever spoke about how horrible it was to do, how much they regret it, the pain it caused, and so on, instead of just never mentioning it again, others would realize the implications of such an action.

I would have to hear the Kellerman audio to know for sure, but the impression I got is he said it in the context of "look, I did this once 20 years ago, it was not a good thing" and if that is the case the suspension is garbage. If there was an open air discussion about how bad domestic violence is maybe a few 15 year olds would learn something from it and one day down the line not strike a partner when otherwise they would have.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Why have a genuine open-air discussion about a serious issue when they can just produce a 30 for 30 special on it making it seem like an old, dead issue?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Bhester posted:

Why have a genuine open-air discussion about a serious issue when they can just produce a 30 for 30 special on it making it seem like an old, dead issue?

"What if I told you, it wasn't his fault. His wife made him do it. But we still loved him anyways. 30 for 30 presents, Ray of Light."

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

"What if I told you, it wasn't his fault. His wife made him do it. But we still loved him anyways. 30 for 30 presents, Ray of Light."
ESPN Films Presents...

If I Did It starring Denzel Washington as O.J. Simpson...

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I don't know how many people in this thread also follow auto racing, but, um, prepare yourselves for some hot loving takes when people wake up tomorrow and realize that Tony Stewart killed a fellow driver.

I posted it in its thread, but that will be the biggest sports story of the century thus far because holy loving poo poo

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I don't know how many people in this thread also follow auto racing, but, um, prepare yourselves for some hot loving takes when people wake up tomorrow and realize that Tony Stewart killed a fellow driver.

I posted it in its thread, but that will be the biggest sports story of the century thus far because holy loving poo poo

You're nuts. This is trending below Johnny Manziel's professional debut. It's probably the biggest NASCAR story since Earnhardt died but most of the general public will shrug their shoulders and say "dumb hillbillies" which only further cements their opinion of NASCAR in general.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This post is exactly the type of hyperbolic sports writing that we mock in this thread. What the hell are you talking about? "biggest sports story of the century" are you insane? It's less big than Lebron's letter to go to Cleveland or like that football player who got catfished. It's NASCAR.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

The all time winningest college football coach harbored a serial child rapist

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wilt Chamberlain slept with 20,000 women

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Brittany Griner had a huge game-saving block in front of 26 fans.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

There was no rule in the book that said a dog couldn't play basketball.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

An NFL star turned out to be a serial murderer?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Groucho Marxist posted:

There was no rule in the book that said a dog couldn't play basketball.

Air Bud 6 is a seminal moment in Western civilization.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I love Rovell

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/498491982025871361

quote:

Statement from Tony Stewart's sponsor Bass Pro Shops: "All of us at Bass Pro Shops are all deeply saddened (cont)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Holy poo poo

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

How is it possible to have such a lack of self awareness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jackie D posted:

How is it possible to have such a lack of self awareness
His Twitter background is a massive pile of Benjamins, what do you think