Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

raditts posted:

The ending clearly set it up for more, though. I was hoping that if they made a new series it would be a direct continuation.

I kind of liked how the implication was that the road trip at the end of MI is what the original Scooby Doo Where Are You? chronicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm pretty sure that, while they were open to continue doing more, they worked knowing full-well that 52 episodes might be all they'd get, so they wrote the show to wrap up at that, while leaving it open if by chance they get more episodes ordered. 52 episodes is pretty good at this time and age.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm pretty sure that, while they were open to continue doing more, they worked knowing full-well that 52 episodes might be all they'd get, so they wrote the show to wrap up at that, while leaving it open if by chance they get more episodes ordered. 52 episodes is pretty good at this time and age.

I wish they hadn't given it such a total poo poo timeslot, at least. An early afternoon timeslot surrounded by reruns of other shows is a timeslot that says "We do not respect you at all."

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

axleblaze posted:

New Scooby Doo designs are...um...what's the word...

Oh right, bad. The new designs are bad.

I'm really sad that they sandbagged and cancelled Mystery Inc for this trash. I really wanted to see where they were going.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

axleblaze posted:

New Scooby Doo designs are...um...what's the word...

Oh right, bad. The new designs are bad.

I have seen fanart that looked way better than this.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Is legend of korra worth watching?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Gaunab posted:

The first two seasons? In my opinion absolutely not. I'm usually forgiving of these kinds of shows but the writing's just awful and I have not bothered with the third season at all.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Gaunab posted:

Season one is decent, but it's not without its flaws. Unfortunately, I gave up on season two halfway through (it's pretty crummy). I've only seen the first two episodes of season three, but it's shaping up to be an improvement over the previous seasons.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gaunab posted:

I'd say so, internet overreacts a lot. That said, Book 1 is okay but with a rushed ending (since they got an extra book [not season] ordered really late), the first half of Book 2 is pretty weak but it gets really strong afterwards when we learn the origins of the first avatar, and then all of Book 3 has been pretty great and some parts are even amazing, like, some bending scenes are up there with Zuko Vs Azula.

Books are also shorter than in ATLA, being 12-13 episodes long, so it's easier to binge watch.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
I saw what was probably the book 2 ending and it was...weird, but I also saw clips of the prison escapes and that was pretty impressive to watch. I guess I'm just wondering if it's watching just for the fight scenes even if I'm not a fan of the story.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They confirmed on the official SD:MI Tumblr that CN didn't cancel it, they just aired it in really lovely ways and it was always meant to be 52 episodes total.

It was so bad that they had to mention to people that CN actually had just about all of Season 2's episodes but didn't even air them for god knows what reason.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If you just want to watch fight scenes then I guess you might as well start with Book 3. Book 1 and 2 have cool fights here and there, but Book 3 is where they get really cool since the villains are basically a group of evil superbenders you saw breaking out of personalized jails. Episode 3 has a dragon getting beaten up.

Book 3 is also readily available to watch at nick.com, so it's easy to watch without any ads.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 7, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clarence constantly delivers.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Korra is a really disappointing show because it has an older target audience and rather than using that to have more complex stories and themes and more thrilling action means lovely love triangles and teen angst.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad show but over the course of 5 episodes it went from being one of my most anticipated shows of the year to me not even being assed to watch it live anymore.

Though even if you skip it the season 2 two-parter about the origin of the Avatar is worth watching even on its own. It's like a short, TV-budget Studio Ghibli movie.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gaunab posted:

I hesitate to say that season 1 and 2 are worth watching, because they had really profound problems and overall were very very unsatisfying. But they also had a lot of really neat concepts, art, and (ultimately uncooked and thus lovely) plot hooks.

Season 3 is really shaping up to be ok though, aside from me having a huge amount of hesitation about the main villains, based mainly on how completely horribly Korra's villains' endgames have been so far. But so far it's good.

Also yeah if you watch nothing else, the origin of Avatars episode in S2 is really really great.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

IRQ posted:

Also yeah if you watch nothing else, the origin of Avatars episode in S2 is really really great.

In fact, just watch that part and nothing else. You don't need any knowledge of the rest of the show to watch those episodes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

IRQ posted:

Season 3 is really shaping up to be ok though, aside from me having a huge amount of hesitation about the main villains, based mainly on how completely horribly Korra's villains' endgames have been so far. But so far it's good.

See, the thing is, both of the other seasons started good and fell all apart towards the end.

It's never really bad, it just seems like it always falls short of how you think it will be. It's just frustrating.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Nah, season 2 flatout started off lovely, hit its peak in terms of quality with the origin two-parter, then slid back into fairly mediocre.

Really, just watch that two parter. It's the best two episodes from both seasons 1 and 2 of Korra. I don't think anything else is worth your time, and there's likely better stuff you could spend that time watching.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Well that sucks that Korra is so mediocre. I remember looking forward to it when it was first announced and from the wiki the cast is very interesting. Oh well.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

SlothfulCobra posted:

See, the thing is, both of the other seasons started good and fell all apart towards the end.

It's never really bad, it just seems like it always falls short of how you think it will be. It's just frustrating.

Which is why no matter how good people make season 3 sound I'm not going to bother unless absolutely everyone on the entire internet not only loves finale but also say made them like Korra as an avatar.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Korra is a really disappointing show because it has an older target audience and rather than using that to have more complex stories and themes and more thrilling action means lovely love triangles and teen angst.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a bad show but over the course of 5 episodes it went from being one of my most anticipated shows of the year to me not even being assed to watch it live anymore.

Though even if you skip it the season 2 two-parter about the origin of the Avatar is worth watching even on its own. It's like a short, TV-budget Studio Ghibli movie.

I find it aggravating that the maturity of the stories in Korra is far LOWER than its prequel. And that it even brought up "complex themes" like civil rights and start to think about them then not follow through at all, not just dropping the ball but throwing the ball out the window to be run over by a passing truck.

Even the humor is lower. Canon fartbending in the season 1 finale, I'm not sure why I even gave the show a second chance after that.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Gaunab posted:

Well that sucks that Korra is so mediocre. I remember looking forward to it when it was first announced and from the wiki the cast is very interesting. Oh well.

I really want to like Korra, especially now that Game of Thrones is between seasons leaving me with a fantasy-adventure itch that needs to be scratched. Sadly it has been two seasons worth of meh before it started getting interesting and now I can't bring myself to care.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
My biggest problems with Korra is that seasons one and two really threw away a lot of neat ideas and older Avatar extended history for the chance to quickly recreate the world of Avatar into this Americanized Republic era China in a shorter amount of air time. It was interesting to see a larger population of non benders finally get under the idea that they don't appreciate being under the thumb of benders, but of course the Equalists need to be written out quickly and their cause completely ruined from the inside out because BALANCE TO THE FORCE STATUS QUO. Doesn't help that a lot of their ideology and propaganda also mimicked early 20th century communist/anti-imperialist dogma so we also potentially lose the looming specter of a Mao Tse-tung like revolution.

And the aforementioned self-fulfilling prophesy of "we need to make all teen shows involve will-they-or-wont-they asinine romance because all other teen shows sell this garbage" doesn't help make the already short plots feel even smaller.

At this point I almost want to see a season or incarnation where the Avatar either actively tries to escape their destiny by any means or flat out be antagonistic to mortals in a more pro spirits mentality.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The worst part of the whole show is that you could totally see where they had the perfect setup to continue the Equalist plot in the next season. Just make book 1 still end triumphantly, but without that stupid 3 second scene with Ghost Aang, then set up the next book to deal with the non-bender side of the Equalist plot more intimately.

I stopped watching almost entirely because of that reset button.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Crabtree posted:

At this point I almost want to see a season or incarnation where the Avatar either actively tries to escape their destiny by any means .

You did, it was Aang. Kid accidentally locked himself in an iceberg for a hundred years trying to escape destiny.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Acquire Currency! posted:

Clarence constantly delivers.
When we inevitably get to the point where we run out of episodes where Clarence is voiced by Skyler Page, I want Dan Mintz to replace him. Apparently he's one of the rumored replacements.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

When we inevitably get to the point where we run out of episodes where Clarence is voiced by Skyler Page, I want Dan Mintz to replace him. Apparently he's one of the rumored replacements.

When the show started, I thought for sure it was Pen Ward doing Clarence. I'm sure he's not interested in working on another show, but that voice isn't particularly unique or irreplaceable.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

TwoPair posted:

You did, it was Aang. Kid accidentally locked himself in an iceberg for a hundred years trying to escape destiny.

I guess you're right, but I was talking about someone who doesn't like the idea that their soul isn't really their own or that they're stuck being the Avatar with likely only Jedi Ghost Korra complaining about what they should do all the time at this point.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'd recommend Korra to people who have an unabashed love for the world of Avatar and who don't have an irrational hatred of :gonk:r-r-r-ROMANCE:gonk:.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Crabtree posted:

I guess you're right, but I was talking about someone who doesn't like the idea that their soul isn't really their own or that they're stuck being the Avatar with likely only Jedi Ghost Korra complaining about what they should do all the time at this point.

You did, it was Aang in the season finale. A little bit in the first comic, too (mostly the end)

It's not brought up often, but the idea of old rear end souls trying to tell you what to do when it's hundred of years past when they were relevant is actually brought up as bad a few times.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Supposedly, the reason the plot of Korra was rushed and poorly paced because they didn't know if they were going to get another season, although I think it's more the creator's fault if it happens twice in a row.

Also, if you want a continuation of The Last Airbender that actually tackles issues without just dropping them, check out the Avatar comic. It deals with things such as: the feasibility of decolonization, what it means for a ruler to do the best for his people, dysfunctional families, and the conflict between industrialism and nature.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You did, it was Aang in the season finale. A little bit in the first comic, too (mostly the end)

It's not brought up often, but the idea of old rear end souls trying to tell you what to do when it's hundred of years past when they were relevant is actually brought up as bad a few times.

I only saw the show so all I remember is a few incarnations who don't actually get the whole monastic Ideology Aang had on finding a non-violent answer. So the past isn't just trying to control you, but also none of them even cared about telling Aang's to sacrifice his own personal culture he was trying to preserve to satisfy the bloodlust of miss shrinks a continental landmass just to stop an army from taking one village. However, the Deus Ex Machina that fell into his lap isn't any better than simply killing one man in the long run if anyone discovered how to take or give bending to anyone they want just like Avatar Aang.

Now that I think about it, the Lion Turtle was probably a sign that the creators had issues with writing endings to their good initial concepts long before Korra.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I'd recommend Korra to people who have an unabashed love for the world of Avatar and who don't have an irrational hatred of :gonk:r-r-r-ROMANCE:gonk:.

What about s-s-s-s-lovely HALFBAKED PLOTS

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Steven Universe finally has a return date, August 21st at 6:30. So basically slotted right into the rest of the Thursday night shows.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
Is uncle grandpa not as popular as cn expected or what because thankfully they play it sparingly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It would be even better if they never played it at all. But yeah, it doesn't seem to have made it onto CN's new-ish Thursday evening power block of their popular cartoons so hopefully they're phasing it out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Good riddance, hope Teen Titans GO is next.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
TTG actually rules.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Uncle Grandpa is returning next Thursday, replacing new episodes of Regular Show. It's not going anywhere.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

ConanThe3rd posted:

Good riddance, hope Teen Titans GO is next.

I never managed to get into TTG because it irks my nostalgia, but I hear that it's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Teen Titans Go is wonderful gently caress you