Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Drewjitsu posted:

I am shedding a single tear for all of the wasted electrons you are using for MWO.

I'm also very disappointed in you, as most of the people after they play, say that the game is still bad. Hope springs eternal, I suppose.

Oh, it is bad, hilariously bad in new ways every time we play, I just like shooting robits with goons and it costs me nothing to do so. Also there are fresh batches of pubbie tears/rage to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many people even remember the old Word of Lowtax. It would be funny to see the forums light themselves on fire as people think of this as the second coming of WoL.

:supaburn::derp: OH GOD THE GOONS ARE BACK

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also they are giving away a mechbay for a relatively easy challenge. Not worth giving them your money, but it's ok to shoot a robot once every couple of months.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Also they are giving away a mechbay for a relatively easy challenge. Not worth giving them your money, but it's ok to shoot a robot once every couple of months.

It's ok, you can quit any time you want. You're the one in control.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

I am shedding a single tear for all of the wasted electrons you are using for MWO.

I'm also very disappointed in you, as most of the people after they play, say that the game is still bad. Hope springs eternal, I suppose.

Now that the group size limits are mostly gone you can suffer with a bunch of people at once. It's not entirely awful. Fun even. No point getting ~serious business ~ about it though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
How broken are SRMs and how badly would a brawling Centurion be food for bigger / clan mechs?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Voyager I posted:

How broken are SRMs and how badly would a brawling Centurion be food for bigger / clan mechs?

Myself and others had a lot of success with the classic menturion tonight. Srms aren't up to their closed beta glory days but they're a lot more consistent thanks to hit detection fixes.

Tragic Otter
Aug 3, 2000

God drat this game is bad.

Re-installed it because of a somewhat favorable "state of the game" article I saw on The Mittani. I think I spent $30 or $50 bucks on a founders pack way back when so I figured...what the hell.

What the hell indeed. Nevermind the price gouging, the third person view, the lovely mech balance, and the fact the only maps are saw in the three games I played before I said "gently caress it" were exactly the same maps I saw a year ago.

The game is fundamentally not fun to play. The UI is poo poo. The weapons are poo poo. The graphics were pretty nice once, I guess, but now they're mediocre at best. And the lag, jesus christ. I haven't seen lag this bad since Mechwarrior 3! Maybe they just want to make sure the game is true to its roots?

What a train wreck.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Took them a year and a half to figure out that sniper play is boring.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Badcounterpoint posted:

Well you guys convinced me to at least try this game. Any suggestions on how to start? Mechs to work towards?

You can't go too wrong with a Jaegermech, particularly the JM6-S.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

sebmojo posted:

You can't go too wrong with a Jaegermech, particularly the JM6-S.

Shadow hawks are pretty fun too. Jumpy, fast, decent hard points. The premium firestarter is excellent if you're sitting on some mc and the cbill ones aren't bad. Don't give pgi money for one though.

For heavier mechs, Jaegers are nice, I personally like the Orion K, cataphracts are good times. Most of the assaults are good save for the Awesome, which is a big barn with low weapon hard points. Might be an OK brawler once that gameplay becomes more viable thanks to it's increased cooling rate and HP boost.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
So, since the OP is poo poo, I figured I might break down some of the mechs for folks looking to get back into things, or the poor fools looking to play for the first time.

First, a disclaimer:

Do not pay any money for this game, it is bad, the developers are shitheads, and this mini renascence will last like a month or so tops.

With that out of the way, let's talk robits. First up is a favorite for those wanting to go way too fast, light mechs.

But before we talk about the mechs proper, let's cover some weapons that will be important to your job as harrier/support/rear end in a top hat.

Energy:

Medium laser: the definitive efficiency weapon, weighs 1 ton, adds little heat, can use up to 6 before ghost heat kicks in, brawling range, 5 damage. Never a bad thing to put a energy hard-point. Considering that you have limited weight to work with, this is the largest energy weapon you usually want to consider outside of comedy builds like a 1 ERPPC spider.

Small laser: The little brother to the medium laser, this weapon has smaller range, damage, heat, duration, weight, and cool-down than it's sibling. Use this thing for when you want to focus on smaller range fighting than the medium laser. Using this over the medium is really a matter of taste more than anything, the lower heat allows you to stay in fights longer without overheating, and eventually out-damage the medium laser, but you need to be closer which can be quite dangerous in a light. Use with caution.

Pulse lasers of any size: don't. Medium pulse has always been inferior to the medium laser, and after a round of 'normalizing the pulse lasers' the small pulse is no longer a great option.

Flamer: mandatory if you have a head-mounted energy slot, bind to you push-to-talk key and dominate your foes. Rumor has it that this weapon was instrumental to an old-bird secret weapon known as the Wizard, though it's secrets have been lost to time. Seriously though, comedy weapon, only recently did more heat damage to the enemy mech than yourself, take it never.

Tag: Not a traditional weapon, point this laser at a foe to give an allied LRM-er better accuracy and the ability to target through ECM shields. If the enemy knows where you are, keep moving while you have this trained on a foe, they are going to want you hella dead.

Missle:

SSRM: Streaks used to be a standby of light mechs, but ever since the nerfs they are terrible options, not worth taking ever.

SRM: the above's unguided brother, mostly un-nerfed and does good damage again, slam these into the backs of enemy mechs along with a slew of laser fire to do some damage, then run like hell.

NARC: This is now a good thing to take. No, seriously. Once considered the worst thing you could put in a missile hard-point, the NARC latches onto an enemy mech to allow your friendly LRM-ers to see it over ridges and rain accurate LRMs on them.

Ballistic:

Machine gun: Once the butt of many, many jokes, this weapon finally does noticeable damage and will wreck open sections of a mech, due to it's increased component crit chance. I still do not recommend taking this weapon on a light mech. To use the machine gun, you must face your target for a considerable amount of time, and you are in a light mech, you need to see where the hell you are running, and staying too long in the open will get you killed. leave this one to spiders and some mediums/heavys.

All other ballistics: too heavy, between the weight of the gun and the ammo, these will eat up your already stretched weight limit.

AMS: A good thing to take again! LRMs are popular again, so feel free to take an umbrella with you to the battlefield.

Equipment:

ECM: Useful again, while in disrupt you will give allied mechs near you ECM protection, this makes it so enemy mechs have to get closer to target them, making it a great shield against LRMs. While enemy mechs are close, you disrupt their sensors, making it hard for them to see info on you guys and disable their LRMs and SSRMs. While in counter mode, you counter an enemy ECM in disrupt mode near you.

BAP: Acts like a ECM in counter-mode. Does not require a dedicated slot for it, so you can bring it on any mech. Questionable to bring on a light due to SSRMs being dogshit, could help a nearby LRM buddy I guess.

Jumpjets: A good thing to have on any light mech that can bring it, these are useful for more than just getting altitude, they let you make sharp turns by turning in air.

Case: they stop ammo explosions from spreading to other parts of the mech. don't bother with these.

Mechs:

Raven: The ravens are an old bird-warrior standby back form the era of heavy brawling and LRM-slurming. One of those (the latter) is back in force, and brawling is a thing that happens on occasion, so this is a solid mech to bring to the fray. Of course, there is really only one viable chassis for them, including the hero mech.

Raven 3L: Energy hard-points and missile hard-points, the sign of a good light mech. This standby can bring ECM and AMS, making it a solid support mech. Med lasers and SRM launchers make this a respectable threat, though the lack of jumpjets can feel restrictive compared to other lights. Consider swapping a laser for a tag or perhaps a SRM for a narc, team up with a goon in a LRM boat and call targets for him like a good little bird-warrior.

Jenner: The light mech we turned to when AMS and ECM were not mandatory, as both are good-but-not-mandatory, these make a great light choice. All variants are playable, with the K having one less missile hard-point then the D and therefor being a bit of a black sheep. med lasers/small lasers with SRMs, consider tag and narc, and a jumpjet to slow falls and make good turns.

Spider: Tiny, light, quick, flighty, annoying. These tend to not make a serious impact on the game and are not really 'serious business' but they can be fun to annoy people with.

Locust: Terrible, just terrible. 10 tons less than even a spider, you cannot bring anything worthwhile on them and a stiff breeze can knock you over.

Commando: Lovingly refereed to as the metal baby, these guys do not have the speed or firepower of their betters. Tend to be very missile focused, which you have only so much weight for to begin with. Even the ones that have more of an energy focus only bring 3 hard-points, will be outgunned by a real light, and laughed at by any goon worth his salt. Wizards only, fools.

Firestarter: Relative newcomers, these energy focused lights can bring some real pain and agility. Outpacing even the Jenner-F in energy hard-points, these will run hot as hell, do not shoot over 6 medium lasers, you will get slapped by Paul and his horrid design decisions. Tag is a great choice if you want to use 7 energy hard-points and not violate ghost heat, as well as mixing in smalls. Be sure to grab jump-jets, and AMS if you have tonnage to spare.

Kit-fox/Adder: gently caress you, don't pay money for this piece of poo poo game.

Tactics:

Positioning: You may notice that you can run circle around your slower friends, and can rush out and be first to the battle! This is a terrible idea. when the match starts, scout ahead a bit, but never be too far away from friends. If you are a LRM enabler, find vulnerable targets, folks that can't get to cover quick and are not super fast. Never stand still if you think an enemy can see you, speed is life. Always give yourself an easy out too.

Attacking: there are generally 3 kinds of fights you will get into as a light.

Picking Off a Loner: find some schmuck by himself that won't kill you easily in close range, get behind him if possible, and lay into his rear center torso. He will most likely try to spin around to find you, decide based on the target if you want to circle him, hit and run, make strafing runs, whatever. Some mechs like Stalkers can't turn for poo poo and you can easily stay away from their face. Stay on this guy until he either dies, or his friends show up. As soon as that happens, loving scram.

Light Dog-Fight: The real fun of lights imo, dueling with another light. Do not fall prey to the noob circle, there are better things you can do than just turn the tightest circle you can and shoot as he appears in your vision for a moment. Use jumpjets to turn unpredictably, move evasively when you know he is able to shoot, turn and be aggressive while he cools down. You can also lure him into your buddies, but be wary that he may try the same. If he narcs/tags you, get to cover asap, he wants to set you up for his friends to cream you with missiles.

Brawl: So both sides are close and getting into a good old fashioned brawl, time to do your thing. When playing with goons, listen for someone to call a target, or call your own if you want to be the dance commander. Focus down the one target, if your allies are hammering is front, shooting his back may well be a waste of time. Look for damaged components, tear arms off, leg people, etc. While doing this, make sure that you still never stop moving, ever. If the whole enemy line is firing on your team, get close and try to draw attention, then dart away. If they seem to have some guys holding back, be careful, they may very well just turn and kill you. Plan attacks like you are a plane going on a bombing run, get in, fire, get out.

Wolf-Packing: Not as common due to weight limits, but get your other 2 light buddies and perhaps a cicada together and you have a good old fashioned wolf-pack. Move as a group, find vulnerable targets, swam them like piranha and watch as they feebly try to defend themselves. Your combined firepower should make short work of the target, and they will find it very hard to focus just one mech. Go with matching paint schemes to be even more effective/hilarious.

Overheating: Don't do this, ever. Speed is life as a light mech, and having to stop due to overheating is lethal. watch your heat for each map, see how big a spike those lasers cause, if you are not sure if the next shot will put you just under, or just over 100, hit the 'o' key to override the shutdown. worst that happens is you take a little CT damage, unless you are a Jenner folks will probably just try to leg you anyways.

ECM: Keep this in disrupt unless you have an ally LRMer getting jammed. This is great to have if you are harassing their LRMers, and since Streaks are not used at all anymore there is no need to counter enemy ECM for you to fire anymore. if you are wolf-packing with another ECMer, consider staying in counter, unless you see your ECM icon on the right get crossed off, then go back to disrupt.

I'm sure that there are a few things missing but hell, this is already more effort than the game deserves.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 11, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
help I paid money for this piece of poo poo game when the clans came out

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

A.o.D. posted:

You are extra dumb then because you bought in when the train was already off the rails.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

A.o.D. posted:

gently caress you, I honestly don't know the numbers on their weapons, but I can only assume the same standards apply. Stick C-SRMs in missile slots, C-Medium lasers, C-Small lasers, C-ER-medium lasers maybe? I don't know what the number are like on those at all, and there is not much point to going long range on light mechs. C-machine guns or even some small ballistics may even be viable due to reduced weight, but more than anything, boat energy weapons and find vulnerable people.

edit: I took a look at some of the clan stuff, do they seriously come with 1 pre-set engine that cannot be changed? these lights seem like they are gonna be really loving slow with sub-200 engines. I'd play them more like mediums than lights to be honest.

Here are some shitfits I put together using that one lovely mech fitter.

gently caress you
This was a pain to try to fit remotely well, this variant kinda sucks.
ballistics still bad on light mechs, jesus these things are heavy.

Adders

This thing comes with a flamer in the chest? that is loving amazing
They ALL come with flamers? this is some loving pro trolling.
All the prime gets is 2 energy hardpoints? This seems to be the only thing you can really do with that.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 11, 2014

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

axelsoar posted:

gently caress you, I honestly don't know the numbers on their weapons, but I can only assume the same standards apply. Stick C-SRMs in missile slots, C-Medium lasers, C-Small lasers, C-ER-medium lasers maybe? I don't know what the number are like on those at all, and there is not much point to going long range on light mechs. C-machine guns or even some small ballistics may even be viable due to reduced weight, but more than anything, boat energy weapons and find vulnerable people.

The inner sphere light strategy generally doesn't work with clan mechs. You're locked into putting all your guns in your arms, and your armor/slots/engine are all decided for you. Clan lights are typically stuck in a role of sniping, LRM boating, or in the case of one kit fox variant, being the only ecm provider the clans currently have access to.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

The inner sphere light strategy generally doesn't work with clan mechs. You're locked into putting all your guns in your arms, and your armor/slots/engine are all decided for you. Clan lights are typically stuck in a role of sniping, LRM boating, or in the case of one kit fox variant, being the only ecm provider the clans currently have access to.

And yet you thought that you were going to get some kind of return on investment :allears:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

WebDO posted:

And yet you thought that you were going to get some kind of return on investment :allears:

All I really wanted was the Nova Prime. It's almost what it's supposed to be, except some rear end in a top hat thought ghost heat was a good idea. Also, I haven't played the game since beta. I would have bought a founder package, but at the time I was working for AT&T, and I could barely afford rent, much less stompy robots. So I ignored the game until I got an email that clan mechs were coming out. I literally had no idea what the state of the game was when I clicked buy, buy, buy. I am not a clever man.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
So if any of the goons who are never ever ever going to play this terrible game ever again have no other use for their account, I have PMs and would love to be able to use non-lovely mechs, just sayin'.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Hey I bought Timber Wolf and I've been enjoying it. Just that I can't use dual Gauss on it like my K2, because of XL350 engine's weight :(

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
For clan mechs, it is true that the standard lights strategies don't work. But their options are multitude.

Clan ER mediums have very long range and a lot of punch as long as you can concentrate the whole beam. A clan SRM 6 is all of 1.5 tons and one slot. The cute fox can (I think??) mount ECM and three AMS, and be a darty umbrella and swatter for the big folk.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Played a bit again today. Jenner was still solid, but it is depressing to get oneshot by a clan mech alpha. And jesus christ lrmfest. Poptarts are gone and jjs reduced. Tried running the ol bralwer ddc and it sucked.

Highpoint was getting trash talked by a liao named sun tsu bragging about his eve supercap

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Willfrey posted:

Played a bit again today. Jenner was still solid, but it is depressing to get oneshot by a clan mech alpha. And jesus christ lrmfest. Poptarts are gone and jjs reduced. Tried running the ol bralwer ddc and it sucked.

Highpoint was getting trash talked by a liao named sun tsu bragging about his eve supercap

Someone who brags about their internet spaceships is someone who is losing eve online. They should try to win Eve, like me. I haven't logged into that game in years.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Ten kills to go!

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I just want to mention I got all 20 of my challenge kills in an Awesome with an XL engine. Because pubbies are that loving terrible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vorenus posted:

I just want to mention I got all 20 of my challenge kills in an Awesome with an XL engine. Because pubbies are that loving terrible.

Didn't they tweak Awesome structure hitpoints or something?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I'm sure they did some tweaking to the Awesome, but like most of PGI's 'tweaks' they usually signify little for years.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

sebmojo posted:

It's still wide as a map grid and very easy to kill if you're remotely competent, especially if it has an XL in it. Which makes it even more amusing when a Timber Wolf spends three minutes trying to core you and failing miserably despite effectively carrying half your weight in weapons.

Seriously though, Awesomes got a decent buff but if anyone pays you any attention you're insta-hosed.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I have been watching a hilarious little reinvigorating of awesomes brought about by Narc becoming a thing. You have lights that narc a target for you and you and a couple of buddy awesomes can poop out a billion missiles all as one solid blast.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pubbie clan pilots are phenomenally bad.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D
I like it in here, it's like a reunion. Having said that, anyone dumb enough to re-install this pile of steaming poo poo deserves what they get.

And if you are dumb enough to play again, for the love of god do not give PGI a single dollar, they don't deserve it.

~Beta glory days~

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Yeah I am on a strict no-MC diet. All I do is play my stalker and save money for the first available MC clan mechs.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kavros posted:

A clan SRM 6 is all of 1.5 tons and one slot.
What in the flying gently caress? Did someone thought two seconds about what these kinds of weapons would do to the game balance and whether this would be a good id... Ha, of course they didn't, because gently caress you, scrub who doesn't want to pay 50 bucks.

EDIT: I know clan stuff was better, but this is pretty ridiculous.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

sebmojo posted:

The awesome for a CT structure point boost and a couple of boosts to energy weapons (they run cooler and you cool down faster). It's a decent attempt at making them viable and interesting. As such I expect it to be reverted in the next patch.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I remember in MW4:Mercs there were downsides to using clan tech, like poorer reliability, extra heat or cost. Other than costing real money I'm betting there's no balancing factors at all to using clan tech, it's just straight up better.

kingcom posted:

Pubbies clan pilots are phenomenally bad.

Too easy

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fat Samurai posted:

What in the flying gently caress? Did someone thought two seconds about what these kinds of weapons would do to the game balance and whether this would be a good id... Ha, of course they didn't, because gently caress you, scrub who doesn't want to pay 50 bucks.

if they go 'by the book' all missile systems are 1/2 the weight of IS systems.

yes thats right 5 tons for an lrm20

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Don Gato posted:

I remember in MW4:Mercs there were downsides to using clan tech, like poorer reliability, extra heat or cost. Other than costing real money I'm betting there's no balancing factors at all to using clan tech, it's just straight up better.

Too easy

They've made it so clan missiles fire in ripples rather than in massive salvos and their lasers have longer burn times, but I think that's it for ways clan stuff is worse than IS.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

They've made it so clan missiles fire in ripples rather than in massive salvos and their lasers have longer burn times, but I think that's it for ways clan stuff is worse than IS.

Clan autocannons also fire a stream of bullets which means the damage almost always gets spread around, whereas IS versions always do pinpoint damage.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

Once Clan mechs are available for cbills, no one will pilot IS mechs* unless they are grinding enough to afford their first clan mech.

* Actually, the Stalker, Jenner and ECM spider would still be used. they fill rolls that the clan simply doesn't have (right now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

Once Clan mechs are available for cbills, no one will pilot IS mechs* unless they are grinding enough to afford their first clan mech.

* Actually, the Stalker, Jenner and ECM spider would still be used. they fill rolls that the clan simply doesn't have (right now).

According to Sarna, the timber wolf costs around 25m cbills. If they stick closely enough to tabletop values (which they have for every other cost they've put in the game) then everyone's going to buy one of those with their cadet bonus. So presumably once they're available for cbills they'll nerf them into the ground.

• Locked thread