Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

zoophiles, and forcible rape.
Marine Corps aviators and Air Force Academy cadets don't need a quiz to tell them where they belong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Where things this weird 50 years ago or did everyone just haze the poo poo out of the weirdos and drink themselves to death?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

50 years ago you could smack your airman receptionist on the rear end but male buggery had to be done in secret.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
You mentioned debt. Don't get tricked into forfeiting your gi bill to pay off your loans.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
That's actually a thing people do?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Cole posted:

That's actually a thing people do?

I saw it happen when I was in the recruiter's office once. Big ole girl who was going into the Reserves I think.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I knew two people who took loan repayment instead of the GI bill. One apparently hosed up some paperwork or something and got like $5,000 of a promised $40k, the other paid off...a whole ten Gs!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Do recruiters get recruiter boners? Because I imagine owning someone that hard would give them a boner.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I graduated with a biochemistry degree a couple years ago with a pretty bad GPA (2.8 for all, like 2.5 for just science classes). Right now I'm 23 and I've been working a couple industry jobs in the meantime, but because I'm insane I've always wanted to work in CDC/biological warfare prevention research.

Would attempting to go for a commission and getting more education through the military help me achieve that goal, or am I really better off in the private sector and just saving up for more schooling? I've been doing some research and I know that there's a huge medical division and some specialized CBRN officers (I copied that off the internet) but I'm not really positive if that is what I am looking for.

I am horribly out of shape and have a contract for another year at where I work, but a year is a long time to work those details out.

E. I honestly have never thought about joining up before now because, well, it's the military. But I have a cousin-in-law that is a medic in the Canadian Army and one of the greatest men I have ever known. I've seen how far he's been able to go through the Service, and perhaps I could do the same.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 10, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I graduated with a biochemistry degree a couple years ago with a pretty bad GPA (2.8 for all, like 2.5 for just science classes). Right now I'm 23 and I've been working a couple industry jobs in the meantime, but because I'm insane I've always wanted to work in CDC/biological warfare prevention research.

Would attempting to go for a commission and getting more education through the military help me achieve that goal, or am I really better off in the private sector and just saving up for more schooling? I've been doing some research and I know that there's a huge medical division and some specialized CBRN officers (I copied that off the internet) but I'm not really positive if that is what I am looking for.

I am horribly out of shape and have a contract for another year at where I work, but a year is a long time to work those details out.

Sounds like chem corps is up your alley.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Absolutely. It's a fantastic idea.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Having just gone through the entire OCS packet process myself your first barrier is you're going to need to convince a recruiter to spend the time putting together your packet (because its a mountain of paper work) with a sub 3.0 GPA which is sort of an unofficial minimum required GPA right now. They're only going to want to spend the time on your packet if they think you have a good shot at getting accepted at the board.

Which means you're going to need a great PT score and some really, really good letters of recommendation. Even if you had a great GPA you would still need a high PT score. With the draw down they have fewer OCS slots to give out so they can be picky about who they accept.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Mustang posted:

Having just gone through the entire OCS packet process myself your first barrier is you're going to need to convince a recruiter to spend the time putting together your packet (because its a mountain of paper work) with a sub 3.0 GPA which is sort of an unofficial minimum required GPA right now. They're only going to want to spend the time on your packet if they think you have a good shot at getting accepted at the board.

Which means you're going to need a great PT score and some really, really good letters of recommendation. Even if you had a great GPA you would still need a high PT score. With the draw down they have fewer OCS slots to give out so they can be picky about who they accept.

That was part of what I was worried about. I certainly don't blame them for having high standards, not at all, I'm just better at what I do than my GPA might imply. Still, I have a while until I could even think about applying since I am currently a twig, so I need quite a while to work up to a good PT (especially if it's going to be a make-or-break kind of thing). Hopefully I can use that time to hit the books and counterbalance my low GPA by being a nerd.

benem
Feb 15, 2012
The important thing to realize for anyone thinking about getting a commission is that in 85% of cases, you as an officer are a uniformed bureaucrat first and an engineer/chemical/medical services guy second.

Yeah, your branch affects the sort of people you work with and unit culture, but 2/3rds of your work will be loving around with evaluations, doing property layouts, etc. regardless of what you branch.

Oh, and doing PT. Always PT.

If you are interested in commissioning to learn job skills, it's probably a bad idea.

Edit: neglected to mention, chances are excellent that you will have no say in what you branch.

benem fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 11, 2014

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Totally go for it. When you get out at the age of 32 with your Masters from Devry Online and no experience the job offers will just start piling on top of you.

If you can't score a 200 on the PT today and a ~270 when you plan to commission don't even think about it. You know how to get around a low GPA? Leave it off your resume.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
So I'm back to annoy you guys again. I entered DEP about 2 weeks ago and have what I believe is a legitimate concern. The job I wanted I got, I signed my contract, swore in and got my ship date. After I got my waiver for my arrest approved I was allowed to take the job I wanted by the classifier even though what I was charged with disqualifies me from the job, and no waivers can change that. From what I understand the classifier made a mistake and now I'm kind of nervous about whether it will go through or if someone will notice and make me choose another job. Have any of you heard of similar situations?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Dude, there's a waiver for drat near everything, what makes you think that it can't be waivered?

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

not caring here posted:

Dude, there's a waiver for drat near everything, what makes you think that it can't be waivered?

Everything I've read and I overheard the classifier even state that any offense involving alcohol was disqualifying for that job to someone else.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, gently caress that poo poo off.

You need to find the appropriate regulation, MILPER, whatever. And believe me, it exists.

Go now, young scrub. Find your destiny.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That sounds like complete and utter bullshit. If flyers and missileers (ICBM types) don't get reclassed for alcohol, I don't know what job would.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Godholio posted:

That sounds like complete and utter bullshit. If flyers and missileers (ICBM types) don't get reclassed for alcohol, I don't know what job would.

If it makes it any easier http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/hm.htm . This plus what I've read and heard is what concerns me.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Grody posted:

If it makes it any easier http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/hm.htm . This plus what I've read and heard is what concerns me.

Edit: was yelling at wrong guy.
Edit2: I can't type for poo poo from my phone so I've cleaned the formatting up a bit. I kept the original post under the spoiler tags.

You should go talk to your recruiter about this. The job is assigned to you right now. You've contracted so no one has any incentive not to let you keep the HM rate. Your recruiter and/or detailer will know whether a mistake was made. If for whatever reason you are disqualified for the job, you have the option of walking away from your contract. If you look closely at your DD Form 1966, you will see that your enlistment is upon the condition that you are assigned the HM rate. If that job is not available, or you are not qualified because of a mistake made by your recruiter and/or MEPS, you can be written off as an erroneous enlistment and your contract will be null and void.

That might not seem like a big deal because you could just refuse to ship to boot camp and you'd be discharged anyway. However, it would help if you decided to join another branch of service if the Navy doesn't work out.

Go talk to your recruiter. The job is assigned to you right now and you contracted. No one has any reason not to let you keep the HM rate . They will know if a mistake was made. If you can't keep the job you can walk away from the Navy because when you entered the DEP you contracted for a specific job. Now that job isn't available because of a disqualifier you identified but they didn't take into account. You will be given the opportunity to pick a different job but if you read your contract it says applicants have the option to pick another job or void the contract and walk away.

It really doesn't matter since you could just refuse to ship but it'd help if you planned on joining another branch.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 12, 2014

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
OCS recruiter told me I have a good background for the program, but i was open and honest and told him in college I was prescribed Zoloft for anti-depressant and was on them for a month or so, he said to not mention it in the application and see if we can ignore it. Is this something people do?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

prezbuluskey posted:

OCS recruiter told me I have a good background for the program, but i was open and honest and told him in college I was prescribed Zoloft for anti-depressant and was on them for a month or so, he said to not mention it in the application and see if we can ignore it. Is this something people do?

No it isn't. There is a reason why use of antidepressants is a disqualifier. Suicide rates in the mil are high. If you are going for a commission, chances are you will be screened for a top secret clearance. If that happens there is a good chance it'll be found and you will be on the hook for frauding yourself into the military.

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?
So I feel like I'm getting the run around. Are two dismissed felony charges (burglary and theft, ten years ago, a pretrial program to get the dismissal) automatic you can't ever enter charges? They seem like they can be waived from my research, but who knows I'm probably crazy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hekk posted:

If that happens there is a good chance it'll be found and you will be on the hook for frauding yourself into the military.

I don't know I know a guy who did a fraudulent medical enlistment and got discharged because of it and he's getting a ton of VA benefits and all his poo poo covered :lol:

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

himurak posted:

So I feel like I'm getting the run around. Are two dismissed felony charges (burglary and theft, ten years ago, a pretrial program to get the dismissal) automatic you can't ever enter charges? They seem like they can be waived from my research, but who knows I'm probably crazy.

Were the charges dismissed with or without prejudice?

If you were originally charged with felonies and the charges were reduced or dismissed because of some court agreement that doesn't specifically state that you were not guilty of the crimes you were charged with, the military looks at it the same was as if you were convicted of the charges. It's a situation where you are pretty much considered guilty until you can prove your innocence.

Also, if the dismissal says without prejudice it means that the court could hypothetically re-open the court case if some new evidence was found. The military considers that type of dismissal as still being an open court case. You have to have charges dismissed with prejudice in order for the court case to be considered closed.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

gleep gloop posted:

I knew two people who took loan repayment instead of the GI bill. One apparently hosed up some paperwork or something and got like $5,000 of a promised $40k, the other paid off...a whole ten Gs!

My old roommate enlisted for 6 years, got the army to pay off $60k in student loans in 2 years as well as a bonus, and then promptly went to OCS, where he had a 4 year ADSO (which he already had for the original 6 year contract). I feel like he was the first one ever to win at the army.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I worked with a guy who did loan repayment. He's now in prison for rape.

Makes you think

himurak
Jun 13, 2003

Where was that save the world button again?

Hekk posted:

Were the charges dismissed with or without prejudice?

If you were originally charged with felonies and the charges were reduced or dismissed because of some court agreement that doesn't specifically state that you were not guilty of the crimes you were charged with, the military looks at it the same was as if you were convicted of the charges. It's a situation where you are pretty much considered guilty until you can prove your innocence.

Also, if the dismissal says without prejudice it means that the court could hypothetically re-open the court case if some new evidence was found. The military considers that type of dismissal as still being an open court case. You have to have charges dismissed with prejudice in order for the court case to be considered closed.

No it was part of a program to get them dropped. Are they able to be waived is my main question?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

himurak posted:

No it was part of a program to get them dropped. Are they able to be waived is my main question?

Don't waste your time. Even during the surge the Army was the only branch that messed with felony conviction waivers. You will never find a recruiter willing to work with you.

california roll
Feb 23, 2009
I'm about to turn 25, I have a 2 year degree from a CC, little to no work experience, no criminal trouble, like 5k debt my rich daddy will pay off immediately if I asked him, and I'm walking into a navy recruiting office on Monday.

I want to be a CTN and nothing else. I wanna ship off as soon as possible. And I'm in good shape.

3 questions so I'm prepared when I go in to the recruiter: is e2 what I should expect to be able to enlist as, what is a reasonable signing bonus, and even though I'm not overly qualified in any way would a totally clean history incline a recruiter to push me through the process quickly? I refuse to join under any circumstances other than CTN.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

E3 or bust. And yeah sounds reasonable. Where is your recruiting station?

california roll
Feb 23, 2009

california roll fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 19, 2014

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
They give out e3 like candy.

At least the army does. The only people who come in as fuzzy are idiots.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
You probably won't get a signing bonus unless you are a nuke. When you sign your contract you probably won't ship out for 6 months. If you've been reading the Navy thread don't be afraid to lie to your recruiter and tell them you are open minded about rates. And then don't be afraid to tell them to gently caress off when they don't offer what you want. Just be like, "I guess I won't be joining the military then, thanks for playing."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Sir Lucius posted:

Just be like, "I guess I won't be joining the military then, thanks for playing."

This needs to be stressed because people tend to not listen to it because they don't want to wait forever to ship.

Wait forever to ship if you have to. Lie, cheat, and steal your way to living in the meantime if you have to.

Also recruiters are like car salesman. Go to a car lot and show interest in a car that is a few grand out of your price range. They'll offer you a wide array of other poo poo, but when you tell them no you're gonna look elsewhere and you actually mean it, they suddenly are able to accommodate what you want.

Recruiters are the exact same way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cole posted:

Lie, cheat, and steal your way to living in the meantime if you have to.

All of this will be preparation for doing time as an enlisted. You will also learn to sham like you have never shammed before if you're half intelligent. I mean, not that you are if you're considering enlisting but let's say on a comparative scale.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
For those dead set on going active duty through OCS, you'll have better luck going back to school for a Masters and doing ROTC.

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

My old roommate enlisted for 6 years, got the army to pay off $60k in student loans in 2 years as well as a bonus, and then promptly went to OCS, where he had a 4 year ADSO (which he already had for the original 6 year contract). I feel like he was the first one ever to win at the army.

Was your friend in Aviation when he enlisted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So, I want to join the US Navy. My father (and my grandfather)made chief before retiring (both were lifers, so I guess I come from a proud tradition of idiots). I'm graduating from college in a year and a half with a BS(Environmetnal Science), and provided I can hack it, I want to get my commission. I guess my questions boil down to:

1. How long would my minimum contract length be? At the moment, I don't have any intention of being a lifer, but that may change if I join the USN, I just don't expect it to. What I want to do is join the military, get my GI benefits, and then go back to school and get my masters.
2. What should I be looking at in terms of GPA/PT scores? I have a 3.2 right now, but I'm still a fair ways out from graduating. Also, the hippie college that I'm studying at doesn't have an ROTC, so that route is closed to me.
3. What does it take to get into interpreter school for intelligence capacity? I feel like I have a decent aptitude for language (I already speak Spanish fluently), even if all the languages the US military wants also happen to be really hard for English speakers to learn.

Sorry if this is all clueless as gently caress, I'm just dipping my toe in the water here.

• Locked thread