Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
gently caress anal oval office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Fermented Piss posted:

I mean Anal oval office were clearly being satirical.

Demoniac was tongue-in-cheek too and it really seems like she's pretending to be caremad for clicks and attention

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
She seems kinda dumb for taking metal lyrics seriously and pretending that music can seriously influence people.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Since Kim Kelly normally knows her stuff, I assumed the article was just a pisstake of the controversy around Inquisition.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ElectricWizard posted:

Since Kim Kelly normally knows her stuff, I assumed the article was just a pisstake of the controversy around Inquisition.

What was the controversy around Inquisition?

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Kvlt! posted:

What was the controversy around Inquisition?

They got exposed as Nazis a while back by a guy that drove a tour bus on a tour that they were on. They denied it in a very awkward interview. This despite that it's been pretty well known for a while that they were nazis. I mean the singer has a side project called 88MM.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

hellocruelworld posted:

They got exposed as Nazis a while back by a guy that drove a tour bus on a tour that they were on. They denied it in a very awkward interview. This despite that it's been pretty well known for a while that they were nazis. I mean the singer has a side project called 88MM.

Also Antichrist Kramer is pretty damning as well with his posts on NWN. They are both clearly Nazis, and Inquisition now that they are on SoM are trying to escape it, but they are hitting lots of road blocks.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Uh-oh, people are offended by black metal *and* entertainment news coverage of it. Where's the line to have my t-shirt collection audited?

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 10, 2014

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Killsion posted:

Also Antichrist Kramer is pretty damning as well with his posts on NWN. They are both clearly Nazis, and Inquisition now that they are on SoM are trying to escape it, but they are hitting lots of road blocks.

SoM?

I personally don't really care if BM bands are Nazi, I listen to them all the same. Granted, I hate Nazis and all that they stand for but music is music.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Kvlt! posted:

SoM?

I personally don't really care if BM bands are Nazi, I listen to them all the same. Granted, I hate Nazis and all that they stand for but music is music.

Season of Mist, relatively "major" label when metal is concerned.

I used to not mind it, but it eventually started bugging me, so it's always nice to me to see some leftist and anarcho bands pop up, largely coming from hardcore backgrounds.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Oh yeah, I love a ton of SoM bands but for some reason that just didn't compute for me lol.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
What's even better about this Kim Kelly mess is that a week or two before releasing that Dragonforce interview, Stereogum published a piece where she let Bolzer handwave their swastika tattoos and Nazi imagery.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Killsion posted:

Season of Mist, relatively "major" label when metal is concerned.

I used to not mind it, but it eventually started bugging me, so it's always nice to me to see some leftist and anarcho bands pop up, largely coming from hardcore backgrounds.

Speaking of lefty/anarcho type BM, I finally checked out the new Panopticon and it's really wonderful. I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot. Especially "In Silence". I'm a bit on the fence with Nachtmystium. First time I listened, it sounded like variations on the same riff for 55 mins, and not in an interesting/intentional way. It gets better with subsequent listens, but lacks the bite of some of his other stuff.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

nomapple posted:

Speaking of lefty/anarcho type BM, I finally checked out the new Panopticon and it's really wonderful. I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot. Especially "In Silence". I'm a bit on the fence with Nachtmystium. First time I listened, it sounded like variations on the same riff for 55 mins, and not in an interesting/intentional way. It gets better with subsequent listens, but lacks the bite of some of his other stuff.

I'm a longtime fan of Panopticon, but I'm a little on the fence about the new one. Austin has become a much better player over the course of his albums but I think it's working against him on this record as a lot of the compositions seem strangled by technically proficient but totally needless instrumentation-- endless drum fills, sweep picking, etc. Also, "The Long Road I" is bad. It's bad bluegrass. I've enjoyed the Appalachian elements when they're incorporated (the fiddles in The Long Road II are awesome!) but as a straight-up bluegrass player he can't hack it.

e: listening again right now and I think the first song is the worst offender in terms of being incredibly overly busy, but good god he gets Garth Algar-level excited on the drums when songs climax

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
New Xothist is finally out and it's amazing and free.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

skasion posted:

New Xothist is finally out and it's amazing and free.

A little too noisey for my tastes, but drat good nonetheless. I certainly dig it!

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 11, 2014

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
Pretty decent DSBM from a band called MOONKNIGHT. Presumably, no relation to the Marvel Comics character.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So George from everyone's favorite black metal band Deafheaven started his own record label, All Black Recording Company, and the first release is Black Monolith - Passenger. This is easily in my top 10 so far. Just really well done mixture of atmospheric black metal with blackened crust.

http://blackmonolith.bandcamp.com/album/passenger

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I'm listening to the Human Serpent debut and it's sounding cool so far: https://humanserpent.bandcamp.com/album/the-gradual-immersion-in-nihilism

e: ok i decided to buy the tape because hey why not and it includes a bandcamp download but the download isn't the whole album, just the 4 tracks they have streaming on the page. that's kinda lovely

A human heart fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 12, 2014

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

apophenium posted:

Pretty decent DSBM from a band called MOONKNIGHT. Presumably, no relation to the Marvel Comics character.

I'm pretty sure it is actually named for Moon Knight, Roach is a comics buff. New album is really good anyway, anything the Harassor guys have done is gonna be at least kind of interesting.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Killsion posted:

So George from everyone's favorite black metal band Deafheaven started his own record label, All Black Recording Company, and the first release is Black Monolith - Passenger. This is easily in my top 10 so far. Just really well done mixture of atmospheric black metal with blackened crust.

http://blackmonolith.bandcamp.com/album/passenger

Yeah I really enjoy this as well. Feel like I've been waiting forever for it.

Monkeytime posted:

I'm a longtime fan of Panopticon, but I'm a little on the fence about the new one. Austin has become a much better player over the course of his albums but I think it's working against him on this record as a lot of the compositions seem strangled by technically proficient but totally needless instrumentation-- endless drum fills, sweep picking, etc. Also, "The Long Road I" is bad. It's bad bluegrass. I've enjoyed the Appalachian elements when they're incorporated (the fiddles in The Long Road II are awesome!) but as a straight-up bluegrass player he can't hack it.

e: listening again right now and I think the first song is the worst offender in terms of being incredibly overly busy, but good god he gets Garth Algar-level excited on the drums when songs climax

Yeah I think Austin gets better with every album. I really didn't get the hype until around the time that Social Disservices came out, and have enjoyed that, and everything since. I can't really comment on the "bad bluegrass" because I don't listen to enough bluegrass to know what good bluegrass sounds like, but I do enjoy that entire suite of songs. I think he blends his influences better on this album than on Kentucky overall. I see what you mean about some of his songs being overly busy though, I felt that more with Kentucky (Bodies Under the Falls especially) than with this one. I really like the simplicity of the songs he did for the second split with Wheels Within Wheels. Speaking of the split stuff, the songs Falls of Rauros did for their split with him are excellent and definitely bode well for the new album!

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

blue.eyed.ash posted:

What's even better about this Kim Kelly mess is that a week or two before releasing that Dragonforce interview, Stereogum published a piece where she let Bolzer handwave their swastika tattoos and Nazi imagery.

Okay, stop right there.

There is no nazi imagery around Bolzer. Not a single tattoo on their lead member is a nazi swastika, they are all stylized Jain/Hindu/Eastern works and are explained inside the very article. The only time WWII etc has been referred to in their music is in the song entranced by the Wolfshook, which is a condemnation of people blindly following, and the loss of individualism.

This is without even mentioning that the member in question with said tattoos is the progeny of a Nigerian, and has continually spoke out against NSBM and right wing politics from his very first involvement in metal (long before the tattoos).

Sure, slate Kim Kelly if you like, but don't drag others' names through the mud to do it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

blue.eyed.ash posted:

i don't really care about that article but holy poo poo they're going to do a NZ tour this is going to own

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

The Clit Avoider posted:

Okay, stop right there.

There is no nazi imagery around Bolzer. Not a single tattoo on their lead member is a nazi swastika, they are all stylized Jain/Hindu/Eastern works and are explained inside the very article. The only time WWII etc has been referred to in their music is in the song entranced by the Wolfshook, which is a condemnation of people blindly following, and the loss of individualism.

This is without even mentioning that the member in question with said tattoos is the progeny of a Nigerian, and has continually spoke out against NSBM and right wing politics from his very first involvement in metal (long before the tattoos).

Sure, slate Kim Kelly if you like, but don't drag others' names through the mud to do it.

I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but at least one of his tattoos (visible in the article's photo) is a Valknut. The Valknut isn't exclusively a white supremacist symbol, but it definitely gets a lot of play in those circles. So there's at least some ambiguity. It also doesn't help that the article title includes "what's up with those swastikas," which definitely sets the tone. But yes, Entranced by the Wolfshook seems pretty clearly to be an anti-Nazi song.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

blue.eyed.ash posted:

Did you just like, not even read the article?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

deadking posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but at least one of his tattoos (visible in the article's photo) is a Valknut. The Valknut isn't exclusively a white supremacist symbol, but it definitely gets a lot of play in those circles. So there's at least some ambiguity. It also doesn't help that the article title includes "what's up with those swastikas," which definitely sets the tone. But yes, Entranced by the Wolfshook seems pretty clearly to be an anti-Nazi song.

Plenty of nonracist neopagans use the walknut too, it's not even illegal in Germany like most variant swastikas are.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery

deadking posted:

Honestly we should support anyone cutting off white supremacists from appropriating cool symbols. Wincing at using anything they've used has no net positive effect.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

deadking posted:

I am a white Asatru and I use the Valknut all the time, I am 100% against white supremacy and think it is a shame that such a symbol has been used by white supremacy groups.

I think Satanic Warmaster made an interesting point about their use of some Nazi imagery, they said something along the lines of "We are not Nazis but we will use a Swastika to get a rise out of people and to be controversial, because upside down crosses just don't do it anymore."

Personally I have no problem with that, I think it's strange that people will blow off Cannibal Corpses Necropedophile as just being "edgy" but everyone is up in arms over a Nazi Swastika. The way to take away NSBM bands power and influence is to not give a poo poo about them.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

deadking posted:

All of these symbols existed long before the Nazis, and long before anyone "white" even knew there were other colours of skin. They may have been co-opted and corrupted by certain regimes, groups or credos in some people's eyes, but they do retain their original meanings to others. And of course, at the end of the day, they are symbols, and therefore can also have unique meanings in an individual's eyes.

Would it really surprise anyone that an individual who's outlook is very much based on primal forces, shamanism and duality/trinity motifs is utilising these symbols based on their ancient meanings?

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

I think Satanic Warmaster made an interesting point about their use of some Nazi imagery, they said something along the lines of "We are not Nazis but we will use a Swastika to get a rise out of people and to be controversial, because upside down crosses just don't do it anymore."

My Dreams of Hitler by Satanic Warmaster posted:

The age of tragedies, my vision of a fallen empire
Like a lantern that burned out in ecstacy
Lighting the path of blood and honour into time
For eternity, forever reminding me... Forever changing time...

The man against time, in scorn against decline
One state, one folk, one leader, a true revelation
The purest essence of the cult of our blood
For infinity, flowing inside me... Forever binding me...

My dream of your empire
Fills me with joy
For it is also my fate
To end this life of strife in tragedy...

Live by the sword they say, thus I shall live
Let my words be my blade, let my songs be my spear

My dream of your empire
Fills me with joy
For it is also my fate
To end this life of strife in tragedy
...or supremacy.

I dunno, I think he might not be in it just for the shock value. The band name comes from a nazi black metal demo title too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bloodmobile posted:

I dunno, I think he might not be in it just for the shock value. The band name comes from a nazi black metal demo title too.

I think you are right on this one actually. My b.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Satanic Warmaster dude is totally a nazi, but he's also impossible to take seriously at all(and quite easy to troll on forums from what I've seen).

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Satanic Warmaster is a glam band with a Nazi fashion show on the side. While he's not ripping off Moonblood and Judas Iscariot, he spends a lot of time dressing up for photos and hanging out in front of his swastika flags and altar to Hitler.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Satanic_Warmaster/Return_of_Iron_and_Blood_-_M%C3%B4t_ch%C3%BBy%C3%AAn...chua_qu%C3%AAn/349333

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/The_True_Werwolf/35080

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'll be damned if I don't love me some Satanic Warmaster though, the music is p good.

Speaking of, does anyone else have anything along the lines of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKNQyn6YKk8

I'm looking for more stuff with just vocals and piano/organ or one other instrument+vocals.

Thanks!

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Satanic Warmaster is so generic, but that's why I kinda like it. It's pretty fun stuff I guess.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
This new Falls of Rauros track is really great. The bass work is incredible.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
New Nachtmystium has been out 10 days and the only thing Blake has said about bundles is "album's in Best Buy now, go pick it up!"

Love it

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

New Nachtmystium has been out 10 days and the only thing Blake has said about bundles is "album's in Best Buy now, go pick it up!"

Love it

Aahhahahaha I love this so much. The FB page is hilarious. Also the new album isn't very good.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Aahhahahaha I love this so much. The FB page is hilarious. Also the new album isn't very good.

The lyrics (yeah who cares but they're audible and you can make sense of em) are so goddamn goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

The lyrics (yeah who cares but they're audible and you can make sense of em) are so goddamn goofy.

You know this is the BLACK METAL thread right?

Speaking of goofy, anybody seen Immortal live? If so how were they?