Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm almost dry of "AAA" games.. I've got these left:

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Alice: Madness Returns
Hitman: Absolution
Prince of Persia 08
Red Faction: Armageddon
The Bureau: XCOM

I'm not sure which to play next. I have Borderlands 2 but I'm waiting for the people in my circles to have free time, and I have ACIV: Black Flag but holey moley it's a billion gigabytes.

Of the ones I've played

Dead Space > Arkham Origins > Red Faction: Armagedon > The Bureau

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Prince of Persia 08

I'm not sure which to play next. I have Borderlands 2 but I'm waiting for the people in my circles to have free time, and I have ACIV: Black Flag but holey moley it's a billion gigabytes.

Hahahah at 80% of that list being on your 'must play' queue. Play Arkham and Dead Space til you get bored, muck around with the destruction physics in RFA.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Dishonored endings: I dont know. I like them both though. One they're so scared shitless that you're coming after them they commit suicide before you get there and the other you get to kill them yourself. Hmmm, choices choices

My take on the low-chaos ending was that they were untrustworthy bastards to the very end, and murdered each other before you could do the deed.

Edit: So, so beaten.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Prince of Persia 08

Dead Space is a 'horror game' the same way Doom 3 is, but it's a pretty drat good third person slow-shooter. DS2 is a better shooter and an even worse 'horror' game, but still pretty loving fun.

And I REALLY enjoyed XCOM. Many others didn't. Treat it less like a 3rd person shooter and more of an RTS in third person - everyone on your team needs constant attention. I had lots of fun with it, though.

Arkham Origins is really fun, but it's literally more of the same of Batman Arkham City.

Alice, RFA, PoP08 are all games that you'd play for an hour and then put away.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Aug 11, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Prince of Persia 08

Dead Space is a good game, Absolution sucks, and Alice is good but flawed because it got rushed out by EA so levels are a lot longer than they should be and plot points get dropped here and there.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Hahahah at 80% of that list being on your 'must play' queue.
They're not on my must play queue, I'm just playing through the "AAA" games I have before going back to my usual indie trawl, of which I have many more games

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Prince of Persia 08

The order you listed the titles in is a pretty accurate barometer for quality. Arkham is great, dead space is a lot of fun, Alice is fun but drags, Absolution is great outside of quite a recurring annoyances, PoP is boring, Armageddon is bad, XCOM is pee pee doo doo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm wondering if they planned it that way, but the intro of Red Faction Armageddon is one of the few times you will get to blow up large scale outdoor structures before getting stuck in tiny tunnels for the rest of the game. Just run around the intro zone and enjoy knocking over houses with tons of people inside.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
I finished Arkham Origins a couple weeks ago, it was actually a lot of fun and Shock Gloves were a really fantastic fun addition. They should have gave them to you a bit sooner but eh. If you liked Arkham City, you should definitely give it a shot.

I also recommend to play it on Normal--don't play it on Hard, it's a slog through the beginning until you get to about mid-game but mostly just makes enemies take more hits to kill and you take less hits to die.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oh I've definitely become a proponent of playing these types of games on easy if the easier difficulties translate to less bullet sponging. Bullet sponge enemies are just the antithesis of fun. With Dishonored it's rad that one sleep dart does the trick every time. I mean I can play it on normal just fine but if there's a chance that enemies go down faster I'll take that option every time.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
About Heroes of a Broken Land a few pages back. It is actually a good game if you like dungeon crawlers with a bit of Heroes of Might and Magic thrown in.

Bieeardo posted:

I like the aesthetic, but the devs seem to be of the opinion that obtuse mechanics give a game an old-school pedigree. Got this one in a bundle ages ago and dig it out every few months, but so far it really hasn't been very compelling.

What obtuse mechanics? The game is easy to understand.
There is a guide here on Gamefaqs which can count as a manual: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/726774-heroes-of-a-broken-land/faqs/68943

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Finished Dishonored, it was pretty good. I haven't done the Knife of Dunwall or Brigmore Witches yet, those'll be next. That's the 25th game I've beaten since the summer sale, and I've got 3 left to play from that sale. Although one of them is Walking Dead S2 so I'll probably wait until September or whenever the season finale comes out.

For a game that wants you to be stealthy it sure doesn't reward you for it. I feel like the detection system in Dishonored is pretty crap, and I lost my no-kill run despite not killing anyone, which means some physics glitch must have sent a sleeping body into water or off a ledge or something. It's not without some jank. I also wish I could've enjoyed the visuals more but if you do a low chaos run you pretty much need to have dark vision on all the time.

The cool thing about Dishonored is that if you want, you can do the high chaos playthrough in about 3 hours. It's pretty satisfying after doing a no kills stealth run. There are so many fun toys to kill groups of guys with, it's awesome.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Does the girl hate you in a high chaos run?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No she loves you and draws cute pictures of you standing atop a pile of corpses. It's adorable.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

saucerman posted:

About Heroes of a Broken Land a few pages back. It is actually a good game if you like dungeon crawlers with a bit of Heroes of Might and Magic thrown in.

What obtuse mechanics? The game is easy to understand.
There is a guide here on Gamefaqs which can count as a manual: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/726774-heroes-of-a-broken-land/faqs/68943

Chargen was a complete WTF the last time I touched it, with no intuitive way to assign classes and a stat reroll button that both apparently rerolled your entire party, and only allowed for two or three rerolls because... magic. gently caress, I dunno.

I played my share of old-school Apple II and early PC RPGs when I was a kid, and nothing prepared me for how bizarre and pointless an experience that was.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Accordion Man posted:

They don't kill themselves, Havelock poisoned Pendleton and Martin. It is anti-climatic, but I kind of like the fact that they realize their plan to gently caress over Corvo was an awful idea because Corvo is far beyond them in power and Havelock just resigns himself to his death.

Yeah, this is why I prefer the subtlety of the low-chaos ending to the cinematics of the high chaos one. It's just so... quiet, and yet still shows Corvo as a force to be reckoned with.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Plus it puts you in the position of the guys that usually come after you. You find a huge big mess and are just left scratching your head trying to figure out what the gently caress happened.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just watched a 5 minute video of a press forward map in Trackmania 2 Canyons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-gM0duBAdg

It impresses the gently caress out of me that people design poo poo like this. It's so amazing.

I watched the entire thing, it's loving awesome.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Drifter posted:

It impresses the gently caress out of me that people design poo poo like this. It's so amazing.

I'd never want to play that, but it's beyond impressive.

VVV I could be wrong, but I think there was some steering in that too. Almost looked like drifting, but might have been hard turns. VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 11, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

That is so cool. press forward is literally what it means right? You just press go and the map does the driving for you?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kragger99 posted:

VVV I could be wrong, but I think there was some steering in that too. Almost looked like drifting, but might have been hard turns. VVV

It's like the auto-playing SMW levels from a while back, there's no input other than hold forward.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

flatluigi posted:

It's like the auto-playing SMW levels from a while back, there's no input other than hold forward.

Right? that's what (also) makes it so goddamn impressive, to have the designer just take into account the vehicle physics for turns and flips and drifts and everything. As I said, SUPER impressed by that stuff. Way more than the minecraft things. Except for the working calculators and junk, those are pretty cool. And the pig cannons.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Drifter posted:

I got motion sick watching this. That has never happened to me before, I don't like it :cry:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ciaphas posted:

I got motion sick watching this. That has never happened to me before, I don't like it :cry:

Watch this one, then, it'll help you feel better. Gotta go fast. :radcat:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SynthOrange posted:

Plus it puts you in the position of the guys that usually come after you. You find a huge big mess and are just left scratching your head trying to figure out what the gently caress happened.
That also reminds me of The Sabotuer, which did that really well too, namely the last area, has you ascending the Eiffel Tower to confront Dierker, the big bad Nazi dude that killed your friend who's throwing a party there with the other Nazi commanders. Instead of some big final battle you find that the Nazis have gone into a panic and started offing each other due to the French resistance retaking Paris thanks to your actions. In the whole sequence, no one attacks you, they either commit suicide, are already dead, or are too devastated to care all to the tune of this. You then find Dierker at the top who's just run out of ammo after shooting one of his own men, so you can just take him down with one shot. Games really shouldn't be afraid to pull off non-actiony climaxes like that because they can be real effective.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 11, 2014

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GreenNight posted:

Can you still start BG1 with a character, take him through Tales of the Sword Coast, import him into BG2 and then Throne of Baal? Cause that poo poo owned, even taking with you the various pantaloons.

…as a hilarious (but perhaps not entirely sensible) bonus, since both EEs run on the exact same engine, you can then take your ToB character and import it into BG1 and run through all games again. Some (but not all) unique abilities will be lost, but you'll have your entire stack of 9th level magic to nuke all those annoying fire-arrow kobolds with. The normal weapon immunity you gain at the end of BG2? It'll still be there…

In fact, the biggest problem with running BG2/ToB character in BG1 is the images and sound sets.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Started on Dead Space and got to chapter 3, I had no idea this game is already 6 years old, it definitely shows it, although maybe it was just a half-assed console port from EA. It's weird that there's no autosave and only 3 save slots.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I believe it does have checkpoints before major combat sections, but other than that there's no autosaving. I imagine the decision to only have 3 save slots was supposed to evoke older horror games. They kept it in 2, but got rid of it in 3.

FWIW I thought the port was pretty well optimized. Runs well on my laptop, and there are very few games this thing can run without framerate drops.

SenseLess
May 4, 2007

Started on Dead Space and got to chapter 3, I had no idea this game is already 6 years old, it definitely shows it, although maybe it was just a half-assed console port from EA. It's weird that there's no autosave and only 3 save slots.

Word of warning: The game has an annoying bug that likes to randomly change the difficulty-setting when you "continue" the game. To avoid that always manually load the last save.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Bieeardo posted:

My take on the low-chaos ending was that they were untrustworthy bastards to the very end, and murdered each other before you could do the deed.

Edit: So, so beaten.

This sounds supremely accurate given that high chaos is this exact same thing but more explicit, especially with Pendleton. "Some stray bullet. I'm never even going to know who beat you to it."

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

The only lovely part of the port was really the in-game vsync being dumb as gently caress and messing with your controls. Other than forcing vsync out of the game, it was a fine game. DS2 combat was improved ... but that's all that was really better about DS2 (play it anyway though)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you die in Dead Space you (generally) restart pretty close to where you were.

The save system seemed pretty appropriate for the atmosphere, especially on harder difficulties.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

Chargen was a complete WTF the last time I touched it, with no intuitive way to assign classes and a stat reroll button that both apparently rerolled your entire party, and only allowed for two or three rerolls because... magic. gently caress, I dunno.

I played my share of old-school Apple II and early PC RPGs when I was a kid, and nothing prepared me for how bizarre and pointless an experience that was.

You only have the choice between four classes in the beginning and the stats are random with a limited number of rerolls, that is true. However, you don't need to worry too much about the stats as you can upgrade them later (to >20) with items and also at shrines inside the dungeons and plus you can buy more characters (you need at least three parties to beat the game anyway). Because of that I don't mind too much but I can see how that feels limiting and maybe the randomness could be removed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Kragger99 posted:

Nah, you only press forward. Maps like that exist since the first Trackmania released, there are hundreds of them and honestly they're way more entertaining while being played yourself instead of watching a video because you're seeing them in the game engine.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Arkham Origins
Dead Space
Prince of Persia 08

I'm a big defender of PoP 08 because it's just so drat pretty, do like one leven a day though because it is repetitive.
Also just install black flag, it's indeed pretty big but 1: that size is getting more common so get used to it, and 2: it owns bones.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zedd posted:

but 1: that size is getting more common so get used to it,

Only the highest uncompressed audio files in our new videogame generation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why can't all video games be 10 - 20mb like the good old days.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
30GB used to be a fuckton a few years ago. Hell, I even bought a disc-non-steam copy of Max Payne 3 back when it came out because gently caress waiting for 30 gigs to download.

Now 50+ GB I don't want to do. Goddamn it current gen why did you decided to catch up now?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

The trick is to just look at the ca- :barf:

Yeah I thought I was also going to be sick right at the start but it ended up mostly alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Sober posted:

30GB used to be a fuckton a few years ago. Hell, I even bought a disc-non-steam copy of Max Payne 3 back when it came out because gently caress waiting for 30 gigs to download.

Now 50+ GB I don't want to do. Goddamn it current gen why did you decided to catch up now?

HDD space is cheap, man. Have an SSD for your OS and monster games with the long load times and a 3 TB HDD for general use.

• Locked thread