Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So the A+ Cert looks very entry level and not particularly intimidating. As a neophyte, I'm thinking of taking it - how much cachet does this cert have for someone starting from the beginning like myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Radio Talmudist posted:

So the A+ Cert looks very entry level and not particularly intimidating. As a neophyte, I'm thinking of taking it - how much cachet does this cert have for someone starting from the beginning like myself?

Its better than nothing and will sometimes hit a bullet point on entry level job posting. That is about it.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hold on wait what.

Time to look into vouchers for vets.

Actually, I have a question regarding that that might be better for the gibill gently caress bitches make money thread but I'll give it a go on here: I'm already getting gibill money for school at 100%. Is it possible to use gibill for vcp class? And if so, is it possible to draw college AND vcp class at the same time?

Not sure, I use my GIbill for exam reimbursement only, not TA or anything like that.

penga86 posted:

Anyone else in the Stanly VM class received anything yet? I haven't heard anything after I went and paid. It's supposed to start in 10 days I figured I'd see something by now.

Haven't received a thing yet.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Helldesk or very low level admin. It's entry level, and not intimidating but don't underestimate the exam, especially the 2nd one. It seems to trip people up all the time.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
A very general question: do I need any serious proficiency with mathematics to be successful at Networking? I feel silly asking this, but math has always been my weakness.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Radio Talmudist posted:

A very general question: do I need any serious proficiency with mathematics to be successful at Networking? I feel silly asking this, but math has always been my weakness.

You will need to do powers of 2 and subtracting from 256
For example, if you need to create a subnet for 95 computers in the smallest space possible, you'll need to know the smallest power of 2 that's larger than 95 (plus 2).

You are apparently in good company though because there are a ton of resources for practicing this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

You will need to do powers of 2 and subtracting from 256
For example, if you need to create a subnet for 95 computers in the smallest space possible, you'll need to know the smallest power of 2 that's larger than 95 (plus 2).

You are apparently in good company though because there are a ton of resources for practicing this.

The good news is that powers of 2 is really easy since every time you add 1 to the exponent, you just double the number.

(128)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
The most advanced math you need to know in networking is logarithmic functions, which are used for calculating or comparing power/gain/loss in wireless networking. Otherwise it's all basic algebra.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
So I'm setting a goal for myself to get at least one cert and a helpdesk job within a year (maybe I'm getting too big for my britches...). Generally speaking, how much time does it take to pursue the A+, N+ and CCENT/CCNAs? Or does it vary dramatically?

EDIT: One more question, has anyone here tried ITPRO.TV? They're a sponsor on the Twit.tv network and the few videos I've seen seem decent. Just wanted to know if any one has used them to pass a cert before I commit to a subscription.

Radio Talmudist fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 11, 2014

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
Passed CEH with a 97%. Wasn't expecting that. I was out of there in about 45 minutes or so I think.

I have an enrollment interview for WGU for the Masters in Info Security and Assurance. Hoping to get ROUTE and TSHOOT finished before I start and the exams change. Think I'm mostly prepared for ROUTE.

So little time. argh.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Haydez posted:

Passed CEH with a 97%. Wasn't expecting that. I was out of there in about 45 minutes or so I think.

I have an enrollment interview for WGU for the Masters in Info Security and Assurance. Hoping to get ROUTE and TSHOOT finished before I start and the exams change. Think I'm mostly prepared for ROUTE.

So little time. argh.

Just wondering, what's your background? Do you have work history dealing with that / was it all self study?

Just seems like a cool cert to work towards, but I don't really deal with that type of stuff in day to day work.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Failed ICND2 with an 815. 10 loving points.

gently caress that, last time I filed the CCNA it took me 8 years to go back for it. Not this time. I already scheduled another for next Monday. I have this entire week off of work (vacation) so I'm taking both books (Lammie and Odom) plus the CBT course with me to the beach.

Some of the scenario questions threw me off, there was one simlet where I swear every question was right (it was one with several routers, the question had the answers: Router 5 doesn't have network statements (it did), Router 1 doesn't have network statements (it did), Loopback0 has the wrong IP address (it was right at 10.5.5.55), and that the s0/0 int wasn't enabled (it was).

I feel dirty but I'm going to also browse 9tut. I know, I hate going over brain dumps but I have a feeling many of my missed questions weren't for a lack of knowledge but for misunderstanding the question.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Passed the GSEC.

I'm thinking either CEH or another SANS course next ( https://www.sans.org/course/hacker-techniques-exploits-incident-handling ). Pretty much any of the GIAC certs from 501-504 interest me. What say you, cert goons?

E: Also psydude will you add the SANS GIAC path to the OP for sec?

Bloodborne fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 12, 2014

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
I've taken 401, 502, 503, 504, and 572.

504 is one day of IR process, then four days of pen test light. John Strand is pretty good with this class, but depending on your goals 511 or 560 might be better.
503 is about as intimate as you'll ever get with packet headers. Lots of tcpdump, wireshark, and snort. Mike Poor or Johannes Ulrich would be good for this class.
502 seemed to be mostly a rehash of 504 and 503 content. The unique content in this course is IP tables rules.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

Off the cuff it sounds like 502 then since it'd expose me to both. 501 is also in the race just as an extension to 401.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Radio Talmudist posted:

So I'm setting a goal for myself to get at least one cert and a helpdesk job within a year (maybe I'm getting too big for my britches...). Generally speaking, how much time does it take to pursue the A+, N+ and CCENT/CCNAs? Or does it vary dramatically?

It varies and depends a lot on your current knowledge (and how much time you have to study). A+ is simple stuff, but covers a broad range. N+ is more focused and a good introduction to networking basics; I found it the easiest and quickest of the three; took three months of study and that's with a full time job and other commitments. CCNA is a big jump up. The networking stuff is more advanced (and quite interesting), but you also need to learn the CLI back to front. The exam format is horrible.

A+ and N+ is all multiple choice and you can rattle though all the questions you're certain of, flagging any you're not to go back to later. CCNA won't let you reconsider your answers. You have 90 minutes to answer ~60 questions, most of which are multiple choice, but three are configuring virtual networks and are worth lots of points. If you take too long on one config question you'll need to make the hard choice of keeping at it or leaving enough time for the other questions. The pass mark is ~85% so you need at least 2 of them aced (you get next to nothing for partial answers, I've heard).
CCNA took me the longest, mostly because I narrowly failed my first attempt and got disheartened.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

CCNA took me the longest, mostly because I narrowly failed my first attempt and got disheartened.

I failed the CCNA back in 2006 by 8 points. I was so disheartened (attended not only a live course for a year but also a national competition) I didn't retake it until last week.

Failed by 10.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Hmm. Maybe I should brush up on N+ before I try CCNA....

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Radio Talmudist posted:

Hmm. Maybe I should brush up on N+ before I try CCNA....

Dear god no, don't do that. Don't throw your money away on a N+ if you are going to do the CCNA track.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Just wondering, what's your background? Do you have work history dealing with that / was it all self study?

Just seems like a cool cert to work towards, but I don't really deal with that type of stuff in day to day work.

Yep - I do the vulnerability scanning where I currently work, so I use Nessus and nmap a lot. I just did the practice tests the the CEH Cert Guide and the AIO book and whatever things I wasn't sure of I tried to fill in. If you deal with it day to day it is extremely easy - there was just a few things I wasn't 100% positive on, but picking the most reasonable sounding answer apparently worked.

Digitalpope
Feb 12, 2007

penga86 posted:

Anyone else in the Stanly VM class received anything yet? I haven't heard anything after I went and paid. It's supposed to start in 10 days I figured I'd see something by now.

I received mine on the 12th, if you haven't already gotten the email about it, PM me for the person's contact information who sent it.

TheDestructinator
Jul 18, 2006
Getting ready to take the 70-410 next week (my first Microsoft exam) and I feel very under prepared. I've gone through the ExamRef book cover to cover and about half of CBT Nuggets and Pluralsights's videos. The book feels like overkill and the videos seem like they're designed for someone with no IT experience at all.

I'm doing the Transcender practice exams and absolutely bombing. Are Transcender's questions purposefully more difficult or should I expect the same on the real exam?

penga86
Aug 26, 2003

GIG 'EM

Digitalpope posted:

I received mine on the 12th, if you haven't already gotten the email about it, PM me for the person's contact information who sent it.

I got a follow up about two days after I posted that. Looks like I was just being impatient.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
So wait, to renew your VCDX you have to go from VCP->VCAP-DCD?

So like should I just say gently caress it and just go for VCDX v6? Feeling I should...

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

So wait, to renew your VCDX you have to go from VCP->VCAP-DCD?

So like should I just say gently caress it and just go for VCDX v6? Feeling I should...

You just take the VCAP-DCD for the track your VCDX is in to renew it.

Should still take your VCP every other year since this is the one that counts for most partner agreements.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

TheDestructinator posted:

Getting ready to take the 70-410 next week (my first Microsoft exam) and I feel very under prepared. I've gone through the ExamRef book cover to cover and about half of CBT Nuggets and Pluralsights's videos. The book feels like overkill and the videos seem like they're designed for someone with no IT experience at all.

I'm doing the Transcender practice exams and absolutely bombing. Are Transcender's questions purposefully more difficult or should I expect the same on the real exam?

When I took it, the MeasureUp practice tests were harder than the exam itself was, incorporating some things that I think are only meant to be on the 70-411 or 70-412 exams. Saying that, there were a few questions that were duplicated from the practice exam to the real one, and I know there were some things on the real exam that I hadn't quite prepared for (I think I had difficulty with the AD or GPO PowerShell cmdlets, but my memory is quite hazy :( )

There's a good list of resources here for any specific areas you're struggling with, and it has the R2 updates to the exam, which the book may or may not cover depending on which version you have.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Welp, A+ scheduled for September 18th (it was the closes date available) I would think I'd be well prepared by then :v:

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
You'd think so. I first scheduled my A+ exams back in March and kept pushing them back a month at a time because I keep getting spooked last minute. :shepface: Doesn't help things distract me too...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Zeratanis posted:

You'd think so. I first scheduled my A+ exams back in March and kept pushing them back a month at a time because I keep getting spooked last minute. :shepface: Doesn't help things distract me too...

You are overthinking the A+ test. Take the drat test.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
Well, the things distracting me thing is mainly personal issues keeping me from reading the study material...also things like other books. :shobon: But yeah, I am over thinking it and need to take it. My friend has been on my rear end about it too. Just that fear of losing like $350 and not having the money to retake it that gets me...

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

Zeratanis posted:

Well, the things distracting me thing is mainly personal issues keeping me from reading the study material...also things like other books. :shobon: But yeah, I am over thinking it and need to take it. My friend has been on my rear end about it too. Just that fear of losing like $350 and not having the money to retake it that gets me...

Haha, you're not alone, I was supposed to take mine in the beginning of July but I keep getting scared. :ohdear:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Sickening posted:

Dear god no, don't do that. Don't throw your money away on a N+ if you are going to do the CCNA track.

What's wrong with having both?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Umbreon posted:

What's wrong with having both?

N+ is totally overshadowed by CCNA. In my opinion its a waste of money and time to do the N+ at all if you are going to do the CCNA track.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
What about S+?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wargames posted:

What about S+?

S+ is a minimum requirement for many DOD contracting jobs so it's a worthwhile investment if you want to go that route. Otherwise it's a pretty dumb cert.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

NippleFloss posted:

S+ is a minimum requirement for many DOD contracting jobs so it's a worthwhile investment if you want to go that route. Otherwise it's a pretty dumb cert.

100% agreed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I actually went CCNA/CCNA Security which is acceptable under the same DoD requirement as Sec+, but if you're starting from scratch, S+ is probably easier to get.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Do yall know any good sources of N+ practice tests(hopefully free)? I think I'm nearly ready to take the test, but I've already taken the practice tests I've found enough times that I already know their answers. Even so, I'm not real confident I'm not going to waste $400.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Eschatos posted:

Do yall know any good sources of N+ practice tests(hopefully free)? I think I'm nearly ready to take the test, but I've already taken the practice tests I've found enough times that I already know their answers. Even so, I'm not real confident I'm not going to waste $400.

Its 400 bucks now? Jesus christ comptia!

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
MS 73-680 (Windows 7, academic pricing) booked! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Since I am not going to pursue my MS track I have a few vouchers that will go to waste if I don't use them.

I would be interesting in selling them if anyone wants.

I have 3 and they were purchased for the 073-XXX track.

Should I sell here or go to SA Mart?