Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

And that's why you don't wear heels. I just held my ankles in pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Drifter posted:

The book I mentioned a while back was called The Unblemished, by Conrad Williams.

Untraditional mindcontrol vampires and whatnot. It was pretty good from what I remember. They didn't try to fit in to society or use the tools of civilization to control it, more than to just destroy and dominate or whatever.

Eh, I wouldn't really call those guys vampires. They were more like ghouls.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, I wouldn't really call those guys vampires. They were more like ghouls.

They're at least as vampire as the weird fuckers from The Strain. :colbert:

But maybe, whatever. It's still an interesting-ish premise and plot.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Are we about to watch kids die

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dodecalypse posted:

I HOPE SO!

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

What a nice man Abraham is. Cooks and cleans!

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Capn Beeb posted:

What a nice man Abraham is. Cooks and cleans!

Doesn't take his fingerless gloves off either

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Dodecalypse posted:

In the book, that lawyer bitch practically devours an entire loving neighborhood.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Thinking back on it the lawyers nanny is one of my favorite characters.

tied with the luchador

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Rat Man has game.

E: which is funy to me cause in the book I pictured a guy more like the exterminator from Arachnophobia.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
ahh great, I am so glad they decided to keep noras mom

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

So we can have subtitles for people actually speaking different languages in the present, but everyone from Europe in the past speaks english?

Also I'm glad they didn't kill of Regina King like I thought they were.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yup Abraham rules alright, how long do folks think until it's Abraham and Rat Man tag team co-op time? :munch:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Setrakian you idiot, you gotta start the fire on the generator, make it look like an electrical thing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was substantially shittier than the effects have been.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
Nanny has had enough of this bullshit and is getting the gently caress OUT.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Yeah it was like someone just painted him with a desaturation brush over and over :v:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A movie? But I was about to make them lunch. :drac:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Well, poo poo. :stare:

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I wasn't expecting that.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Welp, that's gonna speed the infection along. poo poo's hitting the fan fast now.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Haha the kids escaped with the woman who pretty much raised them anyway.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
It looks like they're speeding things up a lot this episode. In the books, I seem to recall the nanny taking the kids and leaving without any sort of confrontation; Fet encountering like 1-2 vampires in a basement; and Nora's mother being way more far gone and no vampires at the nursing home.

I want to like this show because the books were fun and ridiculous, but it's just bad. And I don't even have really high standards for horror :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Whispering Machines posted:

It looks like they're speeding things up a lot this episode. In the books, I seem to recall the nanny taking the kids and leaving without any sort of confrontation; Fet encountering like 1-2 vampires in a basement; and Nora's mother being way more far gone and no vampires at the nursing home.

I want to like this show because the books were fun and ridiculous, but it's just bad. And I don't even have really high standards for horror :v:

They've said that they're not necessarily following the books for the show.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone should change the name of the thread to "Of course I didn't call the police!"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sector_corrector posted:

Someone should change the name of the thread to "Of course I didn't call the police!"

The Police are the real villains.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Drifter posted:

The Police are the real villains.

Well it is the NYPD so :v:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

The CDC boss guy is dumb as poo poo. Literal video of this, but ehhh, I think we're fine.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fellwenner posted:

The CDC boss guy is dumb as poo poo. Literal video of this, but ehhh, I think we're fine.

Too weird to be real. Ephraim really didn't help his case by talking also.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

MariusLecter posted:

Too weird to be real. Ephraim really didn't help his case by talking also.

Here's the thing though, if the CDC boss wasn't an idiot he would have considered the context behind the video. It's been what, three days since Eph was kicked off the case by CDC boss? What is the likelihood that even a major Hollywood studio could have whipped up a quality video like that in such a short timeframe?

This trope of "oh (insert supernatural thing here) can't possibly real, so I'm going to ignore overwhelming evidence until it's far too late to do anything" is so loving dumb and needs to die.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fellwenner posted:

CDC Boss is owned by corporate entities, would rather look the other way and hope its not as bad as he is literally shown. Arrest the main guy, surely his paranoia is bullshit. Just look at female doc. "Oh, a guy is eating and killing people in front of me, shame I can't treat and cure him, going to pretend what I was told earlier doesn't apply."

Hipster Occultist posted:

This trope of "oh (insert supernatural thing here) can't possibly real, so I'm going to ignore overwhelming evidence until it's far too late to do anything" is so loving dumb and needs to die.

Given how aggressively people deny the moon landing and the Holocaust, it's not insane to think that someone in a high level position would want to deny the evidence and pass the buck given the responsibility they have. CDC Boss' big thing has been "Can you imagine how this will affect the market?" So of course he'll avoid and deny responsibility so his career stays intact once everything turns out fine(but it won't), that's how the vast majority of bureaucracy and management works. Don't rock the boat, keep things level, hope problems go away.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Aug 11, 2014

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
edit: might be spoilerish

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Modern conspiracies are pretty different that what we're playing at here. I don't think the anaolgy works when you compare say, a historical event decades in the past undocumented by today's amazing technology, versus something that literally came up in the past week (at most) that exists on a smartphone.

CDC Boss literally just watched a chained-up dude with a throat worm lashing out like a starving badger. A smart person may have taken the time to consider how (or why) it was faked, and might realize that Eph faking such an event in such a short timespan is nigh-impossible. A smart person, while perhaps not totally believing vampires are real, may at least order a closer look into the situation. CDC boss does not because he is incapable of actually doing his loving job.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

The snow in front of the shed's door was pristine, immersion ruined.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Vodos posted:

The snow in front of the shed's door was pristine, immersion ruined.

You don't think an OCDer like the wife wouldn't clean up and then shovel clean snow over the blood stains?

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
http://globalnews.ca/news/1495307/toronto-shot-the-strain-renewed-for-a-second-season/

No idea how reputable the news source is, but this looks promising?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CRINDY posted:

http://globalnews.ca/news/1495307/toronto-shot-the-strain-renewed-for-a-second-season/

No idea how reputable the news source is, but this looks promising?

I know this is not a new thing, but The Strain is so unapologetic about shooting in Toronto it adds a bit of extra fun to watching.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

homo punching bag posted:

I know this is not a new thing, but The Strain is so unapologetic about shooting in Toronto it adds a bit of extra fun to watching.

I've never seen a production company apologizing for its shoot location, though? :shrug:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drifter posted:

I've never seen a production company apologizing for its shoot location, though? :shrug:
TV shows try to hide the fact that they are shooting in one city but calling it another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

homo punching bag posted:

TV shows try to hide the fact that they are shooting in one city but calling it another.

Ahhh, in movie, you mean? Gotcha. I thought it meant to the fans or something. Oops.

• Locked thread