Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

The Goatman has had a long career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
He's in the military, obviously getting ready for his annual performance report.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

iyaayas01 posted:

The best part is that even after getting told this, people were still bitching about the restaurants being temporarily shut down.

Being in Sigonella, Sicily from 1991 to 1993, the only brand-name ~fast food~ we had access to was a pitiful excuse for a Wendy's on the airfield part of the base. It was shut down twice during the time I was there, and once because the base CO bit into his burger and found still-living maggots in the meat. People still lined up after it was reopened.

Never trust fast food in a place that has lax food preparation and service guidelines, even if it's sitting on "American soil." And to my knowledge, the Wendy's there has now been replaced by a Burger King, which is a bit like replacing 'awful' with 'unconscionable.'

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 10, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Being in Sigonella, Sicily from 1991 to 1993, the only brand-name ~fast food~ we had access to was a pitiful excuse for a Wendy's on the airfield part of the base. It was shut down twice during the time I was there, and once because the base CO bit into his burger and found still-living maggots in the meat. People still lined up after it was reopened.

Never trust fast food in a place that has lax food preparation and service guidelines, even if it's sitting on "American soil." And to my knowledge, the Wendy's there has now been replaced by a Burger King, which is a bit like replacing 'awful' with 'unconscionable.'

Reminds of what happened to my father at the NSA Naples commissary. He bought some packages of corned beef that turned out to have expired a year before he bought them.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Something I think business jet sized was just departing KBFI and just as they powered up and began rolling there were 3 deep booms that echoed all over the area. Was that a compressor stall or surge? They immediately powered down and pulled off the runway.

What kind of inspection happens after that? I don't see anything on flightaware to check what flight it was.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

pkells posted:

I saw the greatest vanity plate ever today. I'm half tempted to move to VA just to get it:

(Stock image, didn't take a pic)

I kept forgetting to link the thread to this - Virginia has two decent aviation-themed license plates, and this one's arguably better than the Blackbird:

There's also a NASA Langley plate, but it's really boring.

AzureSkys posted:

Something I think business jet sized was just departing KBFI and just as they powered up and began rolling there were 3 deep booms that echoed all over the area. Was that a compressor stall or surge? They immediately powered down and pulled off the runway.

What kind of inspection happens after that? I don't see anything on flightaware to check what flight it was.

When my family was coming *back* from Sicily, we remembered our memorable 'CAT-B' (this is when the military subcontracts to second-rate/never-heard-of-'em 'airlines' to transport personnel and dependents to foreign-located bases) experience and flew home TWA instead. It was a 747-200, and as it spooled up for takeoff, the right inboard engine suffered a compressor stall - a *very loud* one. I was convinced we'd blown an engine, but the plane veered onto the next taxiway exit, made a quick loop back onto the runway and took off sans incident. It helped that there wasn't a long line at Fumicino that day.

Certainly was a tense-rear end flight over the Atlantic for the skittish folks, though.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Aug 11, 2014

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

AzureSkys posted:

That happened to me on an American Airlines flight around 10 years ago. I believe it was an md80. We powered up on the runway and way before v1 it happened. The pilot pulled off the runway, went through some checklist and said one of the most memorable things that I've heard a pilot say. "We picked up a few red lights on takeoff. I went back over everything and it appears okay. We'll try the takeoff again." The rest of the flight was smooth and unremarkable.

Entone fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 11, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

AzureSkys posted:

I don't really know turbofans since I'm a helicopter guy, but I find these repeated anecdotes of flying right after compressor stall to be interesting. In our aircraft the EP for compressor stall is straight forward and allows you to keep flying, but the maintenance manual calls for a sudden stoppage inspection on the engine and drivetrain because parts that are going 20-40,000 RPM that get chuffed down by 10%+ really fast can be damaged. Without further education on the jumbo jets, knowing that would make me nervous if I was a passenger on one of those planes. :ohdear:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Never had the pleasure of setting foot on the ground at KAF in spite of all the time I logged over that country. Probably the worst food related shenanigans I can remember was one of the time I swung through Kuwait waiting for a ride in or out of country. I was in the one of the bathroom trailers there and one of the Pizza Hut workers was in there taking a leak. I was washing my hands and the dude strolls up to the sink next to me. I was pleasantly surprised since my baselines assumption is that hygiene is not exactly a priority for these guys. Dude wets his hands, steps out of his slides and pats the bottom of his black socks with his wet hands, puts the shoes back on and strolls out. :wtc: Needless to say, my avoidance of those places was both justified and strengthened.

Godholio posted:

Darkstar is an actual AWACS callsign, squadron callsign for the 965th. And "Judy" literally means shut up. I've only actually heard it used once and I assure you, that controller received a never ending amount of poo poo for getting judied.

Can't remember if it was a Red Flag or an ME phase but we were at Nellis one time doing our Prowler thing and we got targeted by a leaker (pretty much what it sounds like, an untargeted bogey/bandit who gets past the fighters) and we did our run away bravely routine. There was a C-130 loitering nearby so we dragged the bogey past the C-130. He chose the easyeasier target and we lived to jam another day.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Definitely not a good year for the 777

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/08/10/plane-lands-at-logan-airport-after-small-engine-fire/

Plane laned safely with no injuries, but still.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

More like a good day protecting passengers from a malfunctioning engine (that Boeing didn't build).

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Fucknag posted:

More like a good day protecting passengers from a malfunctioning engine (that Boeing didn't build).

Like that matters to the general public and the media, all they'll see is the fact another Boeing 777 had a problem.

EDIT: though at least for a change it was a -300 and not a -200

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I don't know if the general public will distrust a plane after one goes into the twilight zone and one is shot down by Russians.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't know if the general public will distrust a plane after one goes into the twilight zone and one is shot down by Russians.

I'm pretty sure that the general public is about one good USA Today cover away from believing that airplanes are powered by magic.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't forget one that had a nice flaming wreck at a major US airport.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

vessbot posted:

Is there any truth to that, though? Sounds to me like there was an effective scary movie shot, and someone got too eager to hear an exciting story about it being real and started an urban myth that way.

Rumor confirmed today. Was flying BFM today and the lead pilot has about 20 years in. Said he once talked to the pilot of that jet and the quote I was told today was "Yeah we almost loving died.". Didn't get any details on how it all went down though.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Don't forget one that had a nice flaming wreck at a major US airport.

Yeah, but it was a :supaburn: Asian :supaburn: airline, so that's different.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Also this: what can a C5 swallow?
http://m.imgur.com/a/PwzZV

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So bummed the C5s etc aren't at the Abbotsford air show anymore. That used to be a really good air show but the lack of military hardware going to shows the last few years is a real bummer.

They did have a restored Mosquito but that wasn't enough to get me out there in the heat :effort:

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Why do the C5 passenger seats face towards the rear of the aircraft?

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

AlexanderCA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqdtdHmW338

same idea in planes, but try explaining that to normal passengers

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

simplefish posted:

My dad was a helicopter crew chief, and his last station was Hurlburt 16th HGS, before they retired the Pavelows. You could get two inside a C-5 with an inch to spare on either side. Them loadmasters know their stuff.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
..... I miss the C-5 :smith:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

simplefish posted:

The Chinook and C-130 fuselage, god drat. I love this thread.

VikingSkull posted:

..... I miss the C-5 :smith:

It's being retired?

rockopete fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 13, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

AlexanderCA posted:

Because to my recollection (it's been a while since I've caught a flight on one), only a few seats have windows.

Side note: This is not fun to climb, and it's even less fun climbing down.

There is an upper exit door, but few bases have a moving staircase high enough to reach it. I felt really bad for people humping actual gear (some loadmasters let you drop it in the cabin in a corner somewhere, others are Nazis about 'unsecured items') - I just had a portfolio and overnight bag.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 13, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
My favorite part about watching C-5s come in is seeing the six or seven tanker trucks full of gas line up at the parking spot. :btroll:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also the passenger jets full of maintainers.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Also being able to see it for the next week while waiting on parts.

I was talking to a retired Navy officer who claimed responsibility for getting the first C-5 flight into Juneau. We have an over 5,000 foot paved runway and the approach they took in is really not that complicated on a sunny day (like when they landed). Apparently they managed to crack an engine pylon and the pilots were at the Baranof Hotel bar downtown before he could even get to the airport to offload his equipment.

Last time they were here some navigation piece failed and they had 3 of the best days that summer to explore while awaiting repairs. Funny how that works.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I just assume it's always broken but it's never written up until they're somewhere nice.

rockopete posted:

It's being retired?

Not anytime soon. The huge upgrade program only finished up 2 years ago and there's no real replacement. And the AF isn't even talking about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Not anytime soon. The huge upgrade program only finished up 2 years ago and there's no real replacement.

747-8F: Boeing's revenge

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

evil_bunnY posted:

Also the passenger jets full of maintainers.

lol

Godholio posted:

I just assume it's always broken but it's never written up until they're somewhere nice.

This is absolutely a true statement.

In Eielson in January:

"Well we can fly that on a diagonal, right chief?"

*brakes aren't just smoking, are on fire*

In Rota in June anytime of year:

"I dunno chief, I think we're gonna hafta call in an MRT on this one"

*slightest of scratches in one of the tires*

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

iyaayas01 posted:

In Rota in June anytime of year:

"I dunno chief, I think we're gonna hafta call in an MRT on this one"

*slightest of scratches in one of the tires*

"Guys, I'm concerned"

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

ehnus posted:

"Guys, I'm concerned"

Must have been REALLY good beach weather in Dover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeEMiW1vMvU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ehnus posted:

"Guys, I'm concerned"

I've got a question about that. How old are the pilots?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CharlesM posted:

I've got a question about that. How old are the pilots?

"The three pilots in the cockpit had a combined 10,000 hours of flying time in the C-5, and were backed by two flight engineers with a combined 12,000 hours in the air. All of the crew members were offered the opportunity to speak to reporters and all declined, according to Dover Air Force Base spokeswoman Lt. Col. Cheryl Law."

The article didn't give their ages. But you don't accrue ~3,333 on-type flying hours as a newbie.

While we're talking about massive Air Force fuckups, might as well mention the B-1 that landed at Diego Garcia gear up because "long flight" and "landing checklists are hard, mkay?"

This picture's actually better, since it kinda looks like the BONE's got one of those old-timey 'head bandage' sling-looking things after having a tooth pulled (or use a 'duct tape' meme):

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Aug 13, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Huh... I dunno. That's so weird

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I can sort of get why someone could land gear up in a single piloted aircraft, though it's still pretty hard to wrap my mind around but there is no excuse in a multi-crewed airframe.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

I can sort of get why someone could land gear up in a single piloted aircraft, though it's still pretty hard to wrap my mind around but there is no excuse in a multi-crewed airframe.

A friend of my father's landed gear-up in a C-2 once. Those are basically flying delivery trucks. They promoted her, moved her to P-3s (I guess so she could have the chance to crash something more expensive), and she retired a rank higher than my father.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They didn't land gear-up, they came down short of the runway because they idled the wrong engine and only had 2 running instead of the 3 they thought.

Edit: The C-5. And I guess they probably had the gear up, but that wasn't really the main problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If every time you've landed you went through the checklist and nothing ever needed correcting, I can see it - landing gear-up by accident, I imagine, is not something a pilot will ever do twice (for various reasons).

There was an Air Crash Investigation that I saw that had the same thing. It was heard on the CVR (Cockpit Voice Recorder) that they just okayed the check item when in fact it wasn't set. I do agree that it shouldn't happen, and thankfully the idea of a multi-crew checklist works well enough that we can still be surprised when it goes wrong, but it's not like it's never happened before.