Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

mfcrocker posted:

Na you see mate it's proper funny bants to take the piss outta the word trigger and say you're triggered by shoes or clouds or something. Jokes innit.

Well, if its bants and a joke, then its perfectly okay. Heck, go hog wild and drop the N-bomb whenever its funny.

We don't want to have Political Correctness gone mad, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

StoicFnord posted:

Well, if its bants and a joke, then its perfectly okay. Heck, go hog wild and drop the N-bomb whenever its funny.

We don't want to have Political Correctness gone mad, eh?

It's a joke Stu, like on Top Gear.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I'm going to step in and break up this mad funny bants Inception with some Tory dog whistle bingo bulshit.

The Independent posted:

Iain Duncan Smith blames rising immigration levels on people who refuse to get a job

People who refuse to get a job are responsible for increasing the level of immigration into the UK, according to Iain Duncan Smith.

In a speech on Monday, the Work and Pensions Secretary will reverse the claim that migrants are taking jobs that otherwise would have gone to British people by saying they are coming to Britain because of the number of British people who choose to live on benefits.

He will also insist that the economy will not recover completely unless people currently on benefits “play a full and productive part”.

“Immigration into the UK has been a supply and demand issue,” he will tell an audience in London, according to extracts of his speech published in The Daily Telegraph.

“Businesses needed the labour and because of the way our benefit system was constructed, too few of the economically inactive took the jobs on offer.”

The Conservatives are reportedly considering making further cuts to welfare and Mr Duncan Smith suggests he believes there is more to be done.

“The core and point of the economic plan, the driving force, is the quality of the people who make it happen — the British people — for no plan can work unless their wellbeing is at the heart of it,” he said. “But none of this is deliverable if we don’t deal with the British domestic problem.

“This economy can never be where it should, holding its own in this tough world marketplace, unless British families play a full productive part in that plan.”

Last month, Labour’s shadow Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Hilary Benn, warned that the Government’s welfare reforms were causing “misery for hundreds of thousands of the poorest people, driving them into courts and into debt”.

“This is the Government effectively raising taxes for the very poorest,” he said as new figures revealed more than 2.3 million people in England – including war widows, carers and disabled people -- were set to have their council tax benefit withdrawn or significantly cut.

In July last year, David Clapson, 59, who had diabetes, died in his flat in Stevenage from an acute lack of insulin after his benefits were withdrawn because he missed to appointments with Jobcentre staff. His electricity was cut off, so the fridge containing his insulin was not working. He was found to have nothing in his stomach and £3.44 in his bank account.

“I don't think anyone should die like that in this country, alone, hungry and penniless,” his sister Gill Thompson told The Guardian this month. “They must know that sanctioning people with diabetes is very dangerous. I am upset with the system; they are treating everyone as statistics and numbers.”

Don't forget that it's true because he believes it is true and if you disagree then clearly you don't believe it enough.

e: Apologies for the terrible formatting, I'm phone posting.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 11, 2014

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I'm going to step in and break up this mad funny bants Inception with some Tory dog whistle bingo bulshit.

Don't forget that it's true because he believes it is true and if you disagree then clearly you don't believe it enough.
What the gently caress. Even for IDS that's pretty... what the gently caress. Does anyone still actually listen to that guy?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Seems reasonable enough to me. Benefit scrounging lazies just need to quit lounging around and spontaneously turn themselves into high end data scientists or mechanical engineers or whatever.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

big scary monsters posted:

What the gently caress. Even for IDS that's pretty... what the gently caress. Does anyone still actually listen to that guy?

The voting public. For some reason they loving love him.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I dunno, this time what he's saying doesn't even take a little thought to make it sound ridiculous. It just doesn't make sense on the face of it, you'd actively have to think around corners to agree with it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

OK, here are some rebuttals to the Idiot Dispensing System part 1:

Immigration has been good for the economy:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2014/07/01/the-uk-has-been-one-of-the-main-beneficiaries-from-free-movement-of-labour-in-the-eu/

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I dunno, this time what he's saying doesn't even take a little thought to make it sound ridiculous. It just doesn't make sense on the face of it, you'd actively have to think around corners to agree with it.

Welcome to the republican party

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think he just hits enough buzzwords in randomized order that people are inclined to agree with it even though they couldn't tell you what the gently caress he meant.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Part 2:

Immigration into UK has "little impact" on "wage rates or levels of employment" - new UCL study:
http://t.co/KFamscjaiB

But remember this is a disingenuous argument coming from IDS as all he is doing is making a petty, populist and pandering statement to get the kippers back

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
It's the perfect combination of two pillars of Tory policy. It's almost enough to make me think he wants the leadership again; the party members are gonna love poo poo like this. Feckless poors open door to foreigners. I dream of a day when the entire Tory manifesto can be boiled down to a single line like that, IDS is truly a visionary.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

So former boxing promoter Frank Maloney has come out as trans and gave an interview how her gender dysphoria pushed her, at points, to the brink of suicide. You'd think that the press would be sympathetic, right?

Hahahahahahahaha no.

And people think the PCC is working?

At least the reaction from the boxing world (residual misgendering aside) seems to have been pretty positive? That headline's the worst response I've seen so far.

A Sloth posted:

Are you triggered by puns or something?
You realise that headline was a slur, right?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

I can tell you right now that my dad, probably right at this moment, is nodding his head and saying, "Yup, those lazy scroungers are the reason some polack got hired for that last job I applied for."

Gives him two kinds of people to hate for his lovely situation.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
Also, Mark Simmonds has resigned from the Foreign Office, though No. 10 claim it's nothing to do with Gaza and that he won't be standing at the next election either, so it probably won't be as exciting as the press are hoping.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

notaspy posted:

Part 2:

Immigration into UK has "little impact" on "wage rates or levels of employment" - new UCL study:
http://t.co/KFamscjaiB

But remember this is a disingenuous argument coming from IDS as all he is doing is making a petty, populist and pandering statement to get the kippers back

Well it's really the reverse claim - immigration (boooo, right everyone?) is high because of people on welfare (hissssssss), so not only are scroungers to blame for all them foreigns, it's also proof that prospects here are so good (three cheers for the government!) that people are flocking here to enjoy the endless bounty of opportunity. Suffering and dying in poverty is merely a lifestyle choice!

I don't know if it's a kipper thing, destroying the welfare state is a professional hobby for the Tories and this is just good cover for that. It's hit enough dogwhistle points and pitted carefully vilified groups against each other to ensure the coverage will be a complete mess. As a smokescreen it'll probably work really well

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The Morning Star stopped a story about suspected domestic abuse from running and gave the reporter a final written warning because the suspect in question was a union head.

Thought we were done with this poo poo with the SWP.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TinTower posted:

So former boxing promoter Frank Maloney has come out as trans and gave an interview how her gender dysphoria pushed her, at points, to the brink of suicide. You'd think that the press would be sympathetic, right?

Hahahahahahahaha no.

And people think the PCC is working?

Maloney is a homophobic UKIP oval office, troon or not:

Maloney says he doesn't expect gays to vote for him

Gay Conservatives have called on the UK Independence Party to sack their London mayoral candidate over his "homophobic" comments.
Frank Maloney said he would not be campaigning in the borough of Camden because there are "too many gays".

His claims prompted the Gay Tories to brand him a "dangerous extremist" who "should resign or be sacked".

But Mr Maloney defended his remarks: "I don't want to campaign around gays...I don't think they do a lot for society."

The row blew up after the boxing promoter gave an interview to the Hampstead & Highgate Express in which he made a number of remarks about the gay community.

He said while he did not have a problem with a lot of parades in London, "there is a problem with gay parades".

"I object to seeing policemen in uniform holding hands in public - it's not a family way of life and we should support the family more.

"If a policeman and a policewoman in uniform were walking along holding hands in public they'd be pulled up.

"I'm not homophobic, but in public let's live a proper moral life - I think that's important."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3666155.stm

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

JFairfax posted:

Maloney is a homophobic UKIP oval office, troon or not:

Maloney says he doesn't expect gays to vote for him

Gay Conservatives have called on the UK Independence Party to sack their London mayoral candidate over his "homophobic" comments.
Frank Maloney said he would not be campaigning in the borough of Camden because there are "too many gays".

His claims prompted the Gay Tories to brand him a "dangerous extremist" who "should resign or be sacked".

But Mr Maloney defended his remarks: "I don't want to campaign around gays...I don't think they do a lot for society."

The row blew up after the boxing promoter gave an interview to the Hampstead & Highgate Express in which he made a number of remarks about the gay community.

He said while he did not have a problem with a lot of parades in London, "there is a problem with gay parades".

"I object to seeing policemen in uniform holding hands in public - it's not a family way of life and we should support the family more.

"If a policeman and a policewoman in uniform were walking along holding hands in public they'd be pulled up.

"I'm not homophobic, but in public let's live a proper moral life - I think that's important."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3666155.stm

Couldn't this put down to being self loathing? I'm guessing she is straight so back then she was probably struggling with why she had these wants and feelings that she didn't like.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

notaspy posted:

Couldn't this put down to being self loathing? I'm guessing she is straight so back then she was probably struggling with why she had these wants and feelings that she didn't like.

She's not gay though? Is she?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Seems reasonable enough to me. Benefit scrounging lazies just need to quit lounging around and spontaneously turn themselves into high end data scientists or mechanical engineers or whatever.

Speaking as a recent graduate mechanical engineer, it is loving frustrating trying to find a job, especially through recruitment agencies. My task this week is to go through Yell.com listings for engineering firms in three counties near me to send a speculative letter & cv directly.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

notaspy posted:

Okay so we can overlook the homophobia when running for public office because she was self loathing.

That doesn't explain the ukip though.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

JFairfax posted:

Okay so we can overlook the homophobia when running for public office because she was self loathing.

I don't think we need to overlook anything. Or justify anything.

How tabloids treats trans people is an issue. The headline in this regard is just as bad as some of the worst we have heard.

Now, the target of the headline might have spouted some poo poo that I don't like. I think their opinions are horrible.

That doesn't means that they suddenly become fair game and can be railed on for transitioning.

The person targeted may be a nasty piece of work, in which case attack them for their opinions. Not on the fact they are undergoing transition.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

JFairfax posted:

Maloney is a right arse who does not deserve that front page.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014
Since when was someone being homophobic or having other poo poo views and excuse to be transphobic, or any other poo poo like that? I'm sure we can all find a way to insult someone not based on a minority characteristic, the holders of which have a long history of receiving extreme abuse.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Zero Gravitas posted:

Speaking as a recent graduate mechanical engineer, it is loving frustrating trying to find a job, especially through recruitment agencies. My task this week is to go through Yell.com listings for engineering firms in three counties near me to send a speculative letter & cv directly.

Don't most MechE companies have graduate programs?

Thats the route I most of the ones I knew went down. Recruitment agencies work better for experienced hires.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

Don't most MechE companies have graduate programs?

Thats the route I most of the ones I knew went down. Recruitment agencies work better for experienced hires.

A lot of large companies do, but realistically, I have missed the graduate scheme application window by months. Its not all bad since theres a good chance that my masters application will be accepted but in the meantime I have to put food on the table. It should be said though that there is precious little info out there what to do if you're not applying to a graduate scheme with an established company - so I'm improvising as best I can sending speculative applications with a link to my website portfolio of "hey, look what I can do!" stuff to companies I find in the directories and on Linkedin.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kegluneq posted:

At least the reaction from the boxing world (residual misgendering aside) seems to have been pretty positive? That headline's the worst response I've seen so far.

Even people who get punched in the head for a living can remember to use correct pronouns and names more than the press can.

mfcrocker posted:

The Morning Star stopped a story about suspected domestic abuse from running and gave the reporter a final written warning because the suspect in question was a union head.

Thought we were done with this poo poo with the SWP.

Mentioned this a few pages back.

One has to wonder how much Big Bob knew about Hedley. We've had enough of thread heroes turning out to have lovely rape politics for a lifetime. :smith:

TinTower fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Aug 11, 2014

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

TinTower posted:

Mentioned this a few pages back.

Of course you did, I'm an idiot

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

Zero Gravitas posted:

A lot of large companies do, but realistically, I have missed the graduate scheme application window by months. Its not all bad since theres a good chance that my masters application will be accepted but in the meantime I have to put food on the table. It should be said though that there is precious little info out there what to do if you're not applying to a graduate scheme with an established company - so I'm improvising as best I can sending speculative applications with a link to my website portfolio of "hey, look what I can do!" stuff to companies I find in the directories and on Linkedin.

I would do the Masters if I was you, and then look at grad schemes. You can't become chartered without MEng any more unless you've got other masters level learning (...like I had to do as I had a BEng).

Should hopefully get chartered next year!

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

I was actually talking to someone about this not long ago. I was interested to know if there'd be a significant bloc vote against the government. Let's call this bloc the people whose lives were already quite poo poo, are now because of welfare reform really poo poo and presumably if this current shower returns to government will become horrifically poo poo.

There seems to be a big lag in public perception of what social security is like in the UK and what's actually happening to people who depend on it. In itself, I'm not sure the votes of people who've been personally hosed over by the DWP's regime would hold much sway in a general election, but I have definitely noticed in the last year a distinct turn in public opinion as more and more people hear of "deserving" people who've been hosed over.

I think it would be a beautiful irony if the Tories found themselves out of government because IDS hosed up yet again :allears:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

TinTower posted:

Even people who get punched in the head for a living can remember to use correct pronouns and names more than the press can.
Surprisingly the Mail (online) coverage doesn't seem to be too bad, presumably because they don't want a repeat of the Lucy Meadows scandal. I'm guessing the 'top comments' were moderated with the fury of a dying star though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Naw man, you get around that easy enough by not thinking at all.

Zero Gravitas posted:

It should be said though that there is precious little info out there what to do if you're not applying to a graduate scheme with an established company - so I'm improvising as best I can sending speculative applications with a link to my website portfolio of "hey, look what I can do!" stuff to companies I find in the directories and on Linkedin.

Let me know how this works out?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Zero Gravitas posted:

Weren't you making a multi stage rocket for your dissertation or something? I seem to vaguely remember you posting about it in the old GBS space thread. Did you do that and did it work/blow up spectacularly on the pad?

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Weren't you making a multi stage rocket for your dissertation or something? I seem to vaguely remember you posting about it in the old GBS space thread. Did you do that and did it work/blow up spectacularly on the pad?

Haha! Not quite. I started off asking the university if I could build a miniature rocket engine on a testbed for a dissertation project. They said "Lol, no!" but they did let me build a small test rig so I could test some rocket nozzles with cold gas. In the end the physical tests never materialised so a lot of it was simply computational fluid dynamics results. I have the prototype pieces upstairs in a box.

Photos of test rig pieces:

http://imgur.com/a/AONVu

And tech drawing of rig assembly (frame and frame mounting not shown):

http://imgur.com/U4GJHT5

I got a first on the dissertation (72% :toot:) even though by the original project proposal my project faceplanted, so I'm applying for a masters in aerospace engineering at a university that deals fairly extensively with things in space. I hope to get a bit closer to building a rocket engine for real. :science:

This months thread title is somewhat related. BTW, in case you didnt know, the Space Megathread has relocated to SAL.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yesterday our cat died. He was six. He died in the car on the way to the vets to be put to sleep.

Today my girlfriend discovered she needs $7000 of oral surgery but because of how her teeth are messed up (She was born with a lot of problems with her mouth), she has to get an implant, so other options are off the table. Insurance doesn't cover it because it's classed as cosmetic, and she can't get it abroad because it's a series of procedures that takes a total of up to six months. Our marriage plans just got thrown right out of the window.

And now Robin Williams is dead.

This is the worst loving two days. So, someone please tell me where I can get free, strong booze? And a lot of it?

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 12, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Mister Adequate posted:

Yesterday our cat died. He was six. He died in the car on the way to the vets to be put to sleep.

Today my girlfriend discovered she needs $7000 of oral surgery but because of how her teeth are messed up (She was born with a lot of problems with her mouth), she has to get an implant, so other options are off the table. Insurance doesn't cover it because it's classed as cosmetic, and she can't get it abroad because it's a series of procedures that takes a total of up to six months. Our marriage plans just got thrown right out of the window.

And now Robin Williams is dead.

This is the worst loving two days. So, someone please tell me where I can get free, strong booze? And a lot of it?

1. At least he went peacefully and with you there.
2. She is getting a lifetime's worth of teeth issues fixed, your wedding is just a day you can have whenever.
3. Yeah, this sucks.

Thanks for dialing the Plavski advice line, your phone has been charged at the premium rate.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Plavski posted:

1. At least he went peacefully and with you there.
2. She is getting a lifetime's worth of teeth issues fixed, your wedding is just a day you can have whenever.
3. Yeah, this sucks.

Thanks for dialing the Plavski advice line, your phone has been charged at the premium rate.

You forgot to mention that the call was also recorded for monitoring and training purposes.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mister Adequate posted:

Insurance doesn't cover it because it's classed as cosmetic,

Who's classing it as cosmetic? The insurance company?

Sorry to hear about your cat. Our previous cat died at 4 (had cat-AIDS), it is not easy to deal with even when you see it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Poison Jam posted:

You forgot to mention that the call was also recorded for monitoring and training purposes.

That's bullshit it's not for training purposes.

• Locked thread