Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

smg77 posted:

I was kind of joking because I knew it would get a reaction out of people but on the other hand I wasn't because I'm completely baffled by the glowing reviews from critics I usually have a lot of respect for (like TVDW and Alan Sepinwall). I also don't consider myself a bitter LOST fan (I bailed early in the third season but I don't harbor resentment towards Lindelof or anything like that).

You just don't like something that's good. Relax, it happens, and it doesn't say anything about you other than you don't like that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Some people's insatiable thirst for unremarkable prestige dramas will never cease to amaze me. I can understand watching bad comedies because they're only 20 minutes and even the worst episode has one or two good jokes, but how do you hold your time in such low regard that you'll suffer plodding hourlong dramas that have nothing going for them?

I mean look at this boring, pretentious teaser for a show I can only assume is about a GQ model being stranded in the desert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIMnBbcFMc

Its a thirty second teaser and I fell asleep twice trying to watch it. Holy gently caress.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

How many times have I seen that shot of a fist closing around sand and letting it sift through the fingers as the sand-grabber stares off into the distance? Too many to count.

Yeah, I like the Leftovers, but whatever that was for, it was a bad trailer.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Well luckily tyrant turned out to be a piece of poo poo sooooo

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If you watched Fargo, you saw that promo a million frickin' times.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lycus posted:

If you watched Fargo, you saw that promo a million frickin' times.

Yeah but...you were watching Fargo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, but just like it's not fair of me to paint you with the Bitter LOST Fan brush because I disagree with you, it's not fair for someone to call a professional review a troll because they disagree with it, which is what GreenNight was responding to. And I'm sure he frustrates you! But in this instance, his call of bullshit feels correct. You can't blame the weatherman for predicting rain when you want a sunny day, even if he is kind of a prick. (Not my opinion, GreenNight, just empathizing with Bown.)

Are you guys just not familiar with the concept of "hyperbole" or what?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

Well luckily tyrant turned out to be a piece of poo poo sooooo

It had promise. Saddam's Kids The Show could have been good! It just wasn't.

Outlander also lost me about 20 minutes in. Further proof that RDM had no idea what the gently caress he was doing with BSG and lucked into it being good until the last season.

Also :hf: DivisionPost, some random shitlord provoked DP into probating him over ??? we said. Even though we have completely opposite opinions on stuff!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Cactus posted:

How many times have I seen that shot of a fist closing around sand and letting it sift through the fingers as the sand-grabber stares off into the distance? Too many to count.

I do this all the time when I'm at the beach and wanna look cool in front of sexy girls.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Space dandy is so awesome yous guys.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I'm far from an X-Files fanboy but Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is on Chiller in an hour and it is one hell of a good TV episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first episode of Outlander and man it was super boring until she actually went back in time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There isn't even an Outlander thread so yeah, I guess this place isn't the target audience.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Couldn't find it in the Index, but can someone sling me a link to the Rectify S1 thread?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Shageletic posted:

Couldn't find it in the Index, but can someone sling me a link to the Rectify S1 thread?

Can't link to that which does not exist.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Can't link to that which does not exist.

Well that's a bummer. Suppose I should just watch the second season already.

But jesus guys, I'm in complete love with everything in this show. Its like they read my secret diary where I write down everything I like about tv shows (who are we kidding, its gonna be a blog), mirrored that with amazing directing and astonishing acting, and spit out on a channel I'm barely aware of. I straight up teared in the first few minutes of the pilot and when the hell does that happen.

The fact that the show demands you participate and think it out is downright refreshing.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oh hey manhattan has an intro now, it's cool.

Is it just me or is color correction somehow one of the best things to happen to tv?

Yeah rectify is great, just don't expect it ever to speed up. Rectify is not interested in speed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Flipping through the channel guide I discovered that Spike has come up with a new business rescue show, Gym Rescue.

A google search about the show reveals that things are going great for the people that go on the show.

I bet this one will go over as well as Tattoo Rescue and Parking Lot Rescue.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 11, 2014

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

raditts posted:

Flipping through the channel guide I discovered that Spike has come up with a new business rescue show, Gym Rescue.

A google search about the show reveals that things are going great for the people that go on the show.

I bet this one will go over as well as Tattoo Rescue and Parking Lot Rescue.

Don't forget Kitchen Nightmares.

I just watched the first episode of 7 Deadly Sins. It was.... ok. :geno: It's incredibly polished but I find that working against the show. The interviews just come across as way too staged and scripted.

This might be because I've spent the last month watching Nathan For You and watching a "real" documentary show just comes off as too "Holywood". I won't be watching episode 2.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
If you guys want some good TV to watch, the Poochinski pilot in its entirety is on youtube. Sadly, Poochinski was never picked up but this gem of a pilot lives on. I'm sure that had the show ran for multiple seasons, they would have went into the mythology about how and why Peter Boyle got reincarnated as a dog, and probably would have had Poochinski come across other people/dogs that were in the same situation as him. Anyway, if you haven't seen it don't be shy give it a try, and if you have seen it then you might as well watch it again. This is the show that Terriers wanted to be all along, you won't be disappointed.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Irish Joe posted:

Some people's insatiable thirst for unremarkable prestige dramas will never cease to amaze me. I can understand watching bad comedies because they're only 20 minutes and even the worst episode has one or two good jokes, but how do you hold your time in such low regard that you'll suffer plodding hourlong dramas that have nothing going for them?

I mean look at this boring, pretentious teaser for a show I can only assume is about a GQ model being stranded in the desert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqIMnBbcFMc

Its a thirty second teaser and I fell asleep twice trying to watch it. Holy gently caress.

Everybody knows that 'Ray Donovan' is the best example of lovely fill-in-the-blanks prestige drama.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Seams posted:

Everybody knows that 'Ray Donovan' is the best example of lovely fill-in-the-blanks prestige drama.

Man, I love Schreiber, but he's so wasted in that role. The problem is that he's such a good actor that he's still drat good in it, it's just a completed uninteresting show.

In other news, Steven Soderbergh got heckled at a Q&A with Jeff Garlin yesterday. His calm and measured responses to people shouting at him mid answer got people even more riled up. Someone shouted at him for saying that editing is the most important part of the process and when the guy tried to leave Soderbergh chased him down to make the guy hear his response.

I love Soderbergh.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Trying to find the soderbergh thing online. Found a q and a for Che instead, handled the heckling like a pro. Does this man have lizard blood?

Why were people pissed at him this time? More deets please.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Seams posted:

Low Winter Sun.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tyrant could have been great at one point. HBO was bidding on it and Ang Lee was going to direct/produce.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Shageletic posted:

Trying to find the soderbergh thing online. Found a q and a for Che instead, handled the heckling like a pro. Does this man have lizard blood?

Why were people pissed at him this time? More deets please.

There's no specific reasoning for it, other than people paid to be at the Q&A and decided to berate him. There's quite a few people on Twitter who were there and have given a rundown about it. I'm surprised that no sites have written it up yet. Supposedly Soderbergh asked that the session not be recorded so I don't know if it'll be transcribed.

When Soderbergh was talking about modern cinema someone shouted "But you're quitting!" in a weird passive/aggressive stance and one guy almost stormed the stage. Sounds like Soderbergh just kept his cool though. I guess if you're on twitter just search his name and it should come up.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shageletic posted:

I bounced from Arrow towards the middle of the last season (making the Suicide Squad boring? *pull parachute*), but does the show recover? The idea that her arc goes nowhere makes me happy that I missed out. Opinions from people that aren't just fans of CW and crappy genre shows preferred.

I don't know how anyone could say her arc goes nowhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She does disappear for a chunk of the season but comes back with a force for the endgame.

Mu Zeta posted:

Tyrant could have been great at one point. HBO was bidding on it and Ang Lee was going to direct/produce.

Then they cast a white guy as the lead.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

DrVenkman posted:

Man, I love Schreiber, but he's so wasted in that role. The problem is that he's such a good actor that he's still drat good in it, it's just a completed uninteresting show.

First season has it's problems if you come for the possible Entourage-lite drama and can't get into the molestation story of the brothers but once Jon Voight & James Woods meet face to face it becomes electric.

Second season has definitely been more compelling and less navel gazing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Your the Worst is a better show then Married despite the latter having a much better cast. It's way more mean-spirted then the former which is a show about horrible people falling in love.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Married are the two people from You're the Worst 10 years later

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Syfy news - Season 5 of Haven will premiere on September 11th at 10 PM. Ascension, the alternate history show about a generation ship launched in the 1950s, will premiere the next night, September 12 at 10 PM.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

Ascension, the alternate history show about a generation ship launched in the 1950s, will premiere the next night, September 12 at 10 PM.

This looks cool.

BTW, James Marsden has joined the cast of the HBO Westworld series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ascension isn't airing until November I thought?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ascension isn't airing until November I thought?

Was changed.

In other news, the series finale of Wilfred is this week with two back-to-back episodes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

GreenNight posted:

Was changed.

In other news, the series finale of Wilfred is this week with two back-to-back episodes.

Just read up on he series (hadn't heard of it until now) and every site is saying November 24th for the premiere. Hope it's just Bobby Cobb in space and if it's not I'll be disappointed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Just read up on he series (hadn't heard of it until now) and every site is saying November 24th for the premiere. Hope it's just Bobby Cobb in space and if it's not I'll be disappointed.

You're right, I'm an idiot. It's Z-Nation, not Ascension that is premiering the next night.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Haven-Ascension-Syfy-Premiere-Dates-1085349.aspx?rss=breakingnews

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Dead Snoopy posted:

First season has it's problems if you come for the possible Entourage-lite drama and can't get into the molestation story of the brothers but once Jon Voight & James Woods meet face to face it becomes electric.

Second season has definitely been more compelling and less navel gazing.

Ray Donovan would be a much better show if it focused on his business where he runs around cleaning up after Hollywood fuckups. The family stuff is dragging the whole show down.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smg77 posted:

The family stuff is dragging the whole show down.

Applicable to sooooo many shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Shark After Dark sounds ridiculous. Is it funny?

• Locked thread