Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

dogstile posted:

Can't you just draft a random dude who has a small workload to give you a hand for the day?

Get a guy off the helpdesk "Hey man, I know you've been wanting to do some ~real server work~..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
If it involved re-racking everything I would totally do it. I like racking stuff.

As long as it's an actual rack and not just two rails in a closet.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Inspector_666 posted:

If it involved re-racking everything I would totally do it. I like racking stuff.

Want to come "rack" a few Cisco switches on a "cabinet" towards the ceiling of one of our manufacturing plants? Only about 105F up there and extremely dusty with tons of spiders. It's considered an actual rack!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

dogstile posted:

Pretty much this. If I move a server or a big UPS (some of those fuckers are so heavy and unwieldy) then I am getting someone to help me, i'm getting some form of trolley for it to go on and the person who's helping me lift has to at least have someBack injuries aren't worth it. The truck is self explanatory and I don't think its worth ruining a civics suspension for your company.

UPS batteries are the worst. One time we were moving some new UPS' into our server room and those fat fuckers broke the dolly we were using. The rest of that move was a ton of fun :unsmith:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There in lies the problem. I am in charge - this poo poo does need to get sent to another datacenter. I just don't know how. I suppose I'll need to hire professional services - I'll need two guys and a lot of padding.

If I was doing this, this is what I would do: Get a pallet and get with FedEx Freight and ship them LTL. Take the drives out obviously, label and ship them separately. Try to find appropriate boxes for the servers if possible, if not wrap them in moving blankets. Throw the boxes on a pallet, put your padding and shrink wrap on, call them up and they'll take it away from the loading dock.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Inspector_666 posted:

I get to do this to a server room sometime soon. Finishing virtualizng a few of the physicals remaining in there and I can get two racks down to one!

Bonus points for getting rid of these old lovely racks and throwing in some tripplite racks with cable management.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I walk to work and my car is a 2003 VW wagon so either way I get weird reactions from co-workers. I'm either the weirdo that walks to work or the weirdo that drives an old family car. I've seen the expensive rides most of the people here have so it makes sense they would react poorly.

EDIT: My car is well-maintained and not festooned with bumperstickers or other strange crap. It's just dull.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
At my last job I took a free shuttle to work every day. I think I drove maybe twice a month.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

There's a free lot I park in that is a mile away from where I work. The morning shuttle is there when I show up but in the afternoon it's either walk in Texas swamp heat or sit in the Texas heat waiting for this drat thing to show up. Winter sure was nice. Maybe it's time I just pony up the $75/mo for garage parking.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not to drag out the car talk, but I'm curious as to what others drive. I sold my BMW and I can't keep driving my Rx-7 40 miles a day. Plus I can't fit a server in it, well except maybe an old R210. I regularly transfer 1U-4U devices between offices and I really hate driving our company van. I'm thinking either a small crossover SUV (Mazda Cx-5) or wagon (BMW/Audi) is my best bet.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'll be replacing my C5 Z06 with a WRX STI. Server carrying capacity has not factored into my purchase choice.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I rarely move poo poo around for work. I drive a Taurus SHO, and it has a cavernous trunk so I could put whatever back there no problem. The back seat would work as well, but I have 2 car seats back there and they're a pain in the rear end to put back in. Getting it out would be a hassle as the trunk is pretty deep. My wife has a Ford Explorer Sport and the one time I moved a bunch of servers I just took her car and put the 3rd Row down flat. I do love my Ecoboosted vehicles.

The CX-5 is supposed to be a nice little CUV.

psydude posted:

I'll be replacing my C5 Z06 with a WRX STI. Server carrying capacity has not factored into my purchase choice.

oof... I hope your commute isn't long. I've heard those things can be a bit 'punishing' after a while. I'm getting soft and old but I couldn't do a stiff suspension on a daily driver these days.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 11, 2014

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

You hate driving the company van enough that you're willing to buy a station wagon and have to drive that all the time? You're either making a sacrifice in fuel mileage or aesthetics for the benefit of your employer. Just make sure that's worth it to you.

Having said that, I drive a pickup truck (Chevy Colorado, so not a crazy big one), but it has nothing to do with my job. It's nice to be able to throw something dirty in the back of it, drive through snow, and tow stuff once in a while. It helps that I walk to work, so I'm not fuel economy sensitive. I bought a used diesel Jetta as a commuter car when I had a long commute.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

the spyder posted:

Not to drag out the car talk, but I'm curious as to what others drive. I sold my BMW and I can't keep driving my Rx-7 40 miles a day. Plus I can't fit a server in it, well except maybe an old R210. I regularly transfer 1U-4U devices between offices and I really hate driving our company van. I'm thinking either a small crossover SUV (Mazda Cx-5) or wagon (BMW/Audi) is my best bet.

CTS-V wagon is the logical and practical choice.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

skipdogg posted:

I rarely move poo poo around for work. I drive a Taurus SHO, and it has a cavernous trunk so I could put whatever back there no problem. The back seat would work as well, but I have 2 car seats back there and they're a pain in the rear end to put back in. Getting it out would be a hassle as the trunk is pretty deep. My wife has a Ford Explorer Sport and the one time I moved a bunch of servers I just took her car and put the 3rd Row down flat. I do love my Ecoboosted vehicles.

The CX-5 is supposed to be a nice little CUV.

Oooh I just went from a Focus ST to a Ford Explorer Sport (Dealer was as weirded out as everyone else when I mention this), dat twin turbo yo

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

NippleFloss posted:

It's on my list. I would love one if I could get a decent deal- they're outta my price range for now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

skipdogg posted:

oof... I hope your commute isn't long. I've heard those things can be a bit 'punishing' after a while. I'm getting soft and old but I couldn't do a stiff suspension on a daily driver these days.

The Z06? Yeah it sucks to commute in, but I had a free shuttle to work at my last job and a 15 minute drive before that. I'll probably end up commuting a bit farther for my next job, so the STI is a bit more practical.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NippleFloss posted:

I like your train of thought! A big wig in the office building I work in has a stable of nice cars and he has one. Only see it a couple times a month. He rotates between his Audi R8, CTS-V Wagon, BMW 535i, Mini Cooper S, and a F-150 Platinum. (At least that's what I see in his parking spot) It must be good to be the CEO and a car guy.

Sepist posted:

Oooh I just went from a Focus ST to a Ford Explorer Sport (Dealer was as weirded out as everyone else when I mention this), dat twin turbo yo

I love that car, I've heard a tune makes it even better. We lease my wife's car so I don't want to mod it, but supposedly a tune makes it so much nicer.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I leased the ST and tuned it, just remember to cycle it back to stock before going in for repairs or end of lease. I am on the fence about tuning the truck though, I get 12mpg with my normal "spirited" driving, can't imagine what it would be with over 400

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Civic :cool:

More back seat legroom than my friends ctsv. :c00lbutt:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I need to buy a car to enhance my career! :supaburn:

I just had the disturbing thought that considering how long I usually keep my cars the next one will probably be what I'm driving when I turn 60. It might be too late for a mid-life crisis car.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Drove (and actually still own, but it's relegated to running errands these days) a lovely late 90's Civic for many years. Daily driver is now a 2011 Hyundai Tucson SUV. It actually gets respectable mileage for an SUV, high 20's on the highway. Nice cargo capacity, AWD for lovely weather. The only thing I dislike is that it has blind spots the size of a tank. I can compensate for it by using the mirrors a lot more than I'm used to in other vehicles, but then my wife drives it and changes them and I'm all hosed up again for a while til I get them set back correctly :argh:

I moved a remarkable amount of servers and other misc crap between offices in that Civic, now that I think about it. Which was pretty retarded since there was a company van I could have used at any time.

Once the Tucson is paid off, I'd love to replace the Civic with something sportier and from the current millenium. One day... luckily none of my employers have ever asked or cared what I drive. Apparently I'd never get a job since I don't drive a BMW :jerkbag:

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dick Trauma posted:

I need to buy a car to enhance my career! :supaburn:

I just had the disturbing thought that considering how long I usually keep my cars the next one will probably be what I'm driving when I turn 60. It might be too late for a mid-life crisis car.

I'm hitting that mid-life crisis car age. I have a used Volvo that I bartered with a friend who has a towing company. As much as I want a new(ish) sports car I just can't justify a car payment when I telecommute and only drive around town like 4 times a week.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

Drove (and actually still own, but it's relegated to running errands these days) a lovely late 90's Civic for many years. Daily driver is now a 2011 Hyundai Tucson SUV. It actually gets respectable mileage for an SUV, high 20's on the highway. Nice cargo capacity, AWD for lovely weather. The only thing I dislike is that it has blind spots the size of a tank. I can compensate for it by using the mirrors a lot more than I'm used to in other vehicles, but then my wife drives it and changes them and I'm all hosed up again for a while til I get them set back correctly :argh:

I moved a remarkable amount of servers and other misc crap between offices in that Civic, now that I think about it. Which was pretty retarded since there was a company van I could have used at any time.

Once the Tucson is paid off, I'd love to replace the Civic with something sportier and from the current millenium. One day... luckily none of my employers have ever asked or cared what I drive. Apparently I'd never get a job since I don't drive a BMW :jerkbag:
My mother had a Lincoln in the late '80s that had multiple programmable presets for the mirrors and the driver's seat. How is this not a standard feature on cars in 2014?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Hell yeah! Just hit 160k miles on my 05 coupe. I'm falling into the familiar trap where I want something fast now though :( The Focus ST looks pretty sweet, any specific reason you got rid of it Sepist?

edit: Oh you leased it.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 11, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

tomapot posted:

I'm hitting that mid-life crisis car age. I have a used Volvo that I bartered with a friend who has a towing company. As much as I want a new(ish) sports car I just can't justify a car payment when I telecommute and only drive around town like 4 times a week.

I plan to drive my civic until I give it to my kid for his first car. Between now and then, If I need a mid life crisis car I'll still drive the civic for daily commute and take the Ariel Atom out on the weekend.

Unless Tesla builds up an infrastructure of power charging units out here by 2017, then I want a model 3

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I would own the poo poo out of a Model S if they were a bit cheaper.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Misogynist posted:

My mother had a Lincoln in the late '80s that had multiple programmable presets for the mirrors and the driver's seat. How is this not a standard feature on cars in 2014?

You tend to only find it on the upper trim models of the car. With my Ford's I have the seats programmed to specific keys. If my wife opens the car (by remote or handle) the seat moves to her preset. If I open it, it moves to mine. The only thing it doesn't adjust is the rearview mirror. Pretty slick

psydude posted:

So would I. I commute 150 miles round trip 2 or 3 days a week sometimes and dropping 130 bucks a week in gas loving sucks. I'm hoping the Model 3 has enough range and is affordable enough to swing.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 11, 2014

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I drive a 2011 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic. I had an Infiniti G37 Coupe, but RWD in the Chicago winters took years off my life.

I like the Merc, awd is great, but it's just not as fun to drive. I'd really love the E550 with the V8, but it was too far out of my price range.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Sometimes I feel a little crazy and drive my wife's Town and Country to work. The ladies love it (they can't get enough of the stow n go seats and integrated dvd/video display). They see me rollin by and the panties just drop.

Also, I drive it to interviews to show how much of a dependable guy I really am. (not really but it's not a bad idea)

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

psydude posted:

You and me both. I'm really hoping the Model 3 stays around the predicted price point. It would be perfect for my 40 mile commute. I would subsidize my desire for a wagon with a newer truck, which would honestly suit most my needs just fine (space, 4x4, towing). It's the handful of times a year need the towing capacity of a F250/350 diesel that has stopped me from buying a F150 Ecoboost. I'm too drat indecisive, at least for my own vehicles.

/carchat

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
I drive a 2014 Focus ST.

Leasing 4 lyfe.

When this lease is up I'm going to either not have a car (if I stay in the city) or get a JCW mini or something.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

4 door Jeep Wrangler that I've put probably waaay to much money into but it's fun as poo poo!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm driving a '97 Nissan Maxima, it works but I'm thinking I'm going to wait until all my student loans are paid off.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
We have a PMO that doesn't know who all the parties involved are, doesn't make any decisions without our input, doesn't know about anything technical even after going over the same tickets twice a week for months. I think her sole job is just to send out annoying e-mails reminding people to update the ticket, or telling our team to work on something that was sent in an e-mail we all saw (and half the time are already working on).

I really hope the job offer with the place I recently interviewed came through so I can do actual work again.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That blows. Great project managers are worth their weight in gold, lovely ones can doom a project.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm driving a '97 Nissan Maxima, it works but I'm thinking I'm going to wait until all my student loans are paid off.

You're a smart person, definitely do that. I love my cars but they're a stupid as gently caress financial decision.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

the spyder posted:

2005 Ford F-150 4.2L V6 with a little over 69k miles. First month I had it I drove down to Oxford, Mississippi to visit my uncle - just in time for Hurricane Katrina to hit. I was 300 miles from the coast and we still got hammered. Truck emerged without a scratch, but I've more than made up for it over the next few years. Get requests from friends and family to borrow it all the time. I'm thinking of upgrading in a couple years, but I'm in no rush, especially after dropping $3500 for a new transmission 4-5 months ago.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

skipdogg posted:

You're a smart person, definitely do that. I love my cars but they're a stupid as gently caress financial decision.

Heh, thank although a while back I put some tools in the side of my trunk. As I walking away from my car I noticed it was on the ground, which was weird did it just fly out of my trunk? I go back, look and there's a fist-sized hole from rust in my trunk :suicide:

I've been eyeing most entry-level German Cars and maybe the Acura ILX. I'm surprised so many high-end luxury cars have terrible crash test ratings, especially small-front overlap.

Question, when it comes to interviews how detailed should I be when discussing other companies? I've had a lot of experiences that have had a positive outcome for myself but don't necessarily reflect well on the companies or clients I've worked with - thoughts?

I obliviously don't want to be sued and I don't want to "badmouth" my previous employers, clients no matter how terrible their decisions, practices may have been...

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 11, 2014

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Tab8715 posted:

I've been eyeing most entry-level German Cars and maybe the Acura ILX. I'm surprised so many high-end luxury cars have terrible crash test ratings, especially small-front overlap.

Really if I got anything else right now besides my civic it would be a 2.0 tdi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Toyota 4runner crew represent. Don't haul servers but if I had to I could take them up a mountain.