Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
i dont know if this is proper by any means, just what ive kinda figured out. it tastes good and got the approval of the malaysian and two tiawanese in the kitchen that day though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaapaav

by Azathoth
My favorite thing to make is burgers and i have gotten really good at doing them but i feel like i need to learn how to make my own burger buns

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Slaapaav posted:

My favorite thing to make is burgers and i have gotten really good at doing them but i feel like i need to learn how to make my own burger buns

Baking is not my strong suit, but what sort of bun do you favor? Like are you a brioche bun person? A pretzel bun fad watcher? Potato bread? English muffin?! You gotta narrow it down bro.

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom

Bo-Pepper posted:

Baking is not my strong suit, but what sort of bun do you favor? Like are you a brioche bun person? A pretzel bun fad watcher? Potato bread? English muffin?! You gotta narrow it down bro.

same. this thread needs a baker.

Slaapaav

by Azathoth
Rich in fiber and a bit dark but mostly just plain neutral bread, maybe like a tiny bit of edge by norwegian standards. Like mcd without the seeds on it and darker on the whole.

Probably like rye mixed with something else to make it a bit lighter

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Slaapaav posted:

Need to put that poo poo on some sourdough

vapoursquid

none other

om nom nom posted:

right now i work in yellowstone national park, im the head chef of one of the restaurants there...its one of the more upscale restaurants in the park, but we still definitly have to cater to the tourists. being the chef i get a lot of time to do what i want with food, hence spending 2 (passive) weeks making corned beef hash.

before this summer season i worked at a really nice and really expensive french bistro for 2 years, which is probably where i learned the most since culinary school, probably even more than school, about technique and ingredients

haha this is kickass

joke_explainer

I'm going to be reverse searing two porterhouse steaks on tuesday, starting at 175 in the bradley smoker, then once the internal temp is about 115, let them rest a minute and sear them about 45 seconds a side on the super hot charcoal grill. what kind of wood should I use? I generally wouldn't use the smoker for this, but my guest requested I use it. I have hickory, applewood, maple, and mesquite.

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

(amazing poo poo)

24 hr braise... how do you manage that? Looks amazing. A restaurant near here has an extremely tender, amazingly good rioja braised brisket and I always wondered how they did it.

joke_explainer

Slaapaav posted:

Try this: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/04/the-spotted-pigs-hamburger-buns-recipe.html

joke_explainer

I am no baker or anything, but I got Ken Forkish's book on bread, following his instructions you can make some amazing bread. I made this the other month:

Was one of the best loaves of bread I've ever had. Bread at home was always really dense and disappointing. Great sandwich bread too.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Bread is one thing I just have never tried. For some reason baking even on a simple level intimidates me way more than it should.

I have no problem preparing a huge piece of meat or playing with the levels of a sauce, but baking feels way out of my league. I know it's partially because of the apple pie I made once years ago where the crust came off like chewy bread. I really wanted that pie to be good and it was poo poo.

tao of lmao

ok byob cooks, pimp my dinner.

i have a ham steak, frozen broccoli, and seasoned fries. make this dindin pop!

joke_explainer

Air Julio posted:

thats all you got?

no cheese, bread? any oil, vinegar, spices, herbs? do you have cheese?

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Air Julio posted:

Do you have the basics of soup in your cupboard? Like chicken stock? Potatoes? You could make a broccoli soup with sauteed ham steak pieces mixed in. Get them nice and crispy, maybe have some of them nestled on top. As for the seasoned fries they're already seasoned fries eat them as seasoned fries hell I don't know.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Maybe use the seasoned fries as a starch binder for the soup though that sounds like some Chopped level ingredient weirdness.

dogcrash truther
I'm seeing pork belly everywhere these days. What's up with pork belly.

dogcrash truther
keeping "pork belly" in mind as a possible rereg name

dogcrash truther
what's the best restaurant you have all ever eaten at?

dogcrash truther
or best meal, period

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

It's delicious! Tender, and yummy.

dogcrash truther
kinda fatty imo

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

dogcrash truther posted:

It used to be a really cheap cut of pork that could be cooked to make some amazing stuff. It's the same cut bacon is made from so it's all fatty unctuousness. If cooked properly, a lot of the fat melts out of it leaving the meat fork tender, but juicy as hell.

Even though it's not as cheap as it used to be, it's still something worth trying if you're not on a diet. Also, since it is typically found with the skin still on it, you can have it with the skin all crispy while the meat remains moist.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

dogcrash truther posted:

kinda fatty imo

ur kinda fatty lol

i am he

Bo-Pepper posted:

ur kinda fatty lol

dogcrash truther
:negative:

joke_explainer

dogcrash truther posted:

You can make bacon with pork belly. Lots of things, it's pretty versatile. Pig fat is amazing.

Pork belly. Bought this slab, a little over 5 lbs, for 24 bucks.

I used the recipe from the GWS post:

5 lbs fresh pork belly
2 ounces (1/4 cup Morton or Diamond Crystal coarse kosher) salt
2 teaspoons pink curing salt #1
4 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
4 bay leaves, crumbled
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 maple syrup
5 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons juniper berries, crushed
10 sprigs of thyme

Rubbed that all over the meat, then added the maple syrup. For some reason I didn't photograph it after the maple syrup, but yeah, looked like meat covered in maple syrup and other stuff.

Anyway, covered it, then every 48 hours, turned it over, called 'overhauling'. Just making sure all the parts are sitting in the cure. Once the 7 days are up, wash off all that poo poo thoroughly. Its okay if the occasional peppercorn or whatever is stuck to it, no big deal there, just want to get rid of whatever's left of the cure that hasn't been integrated in the meat.

Smoke it at around 200 degrees with applewood chips until the internal temperature is about 150 degrees. (For the smoker I use a wireless thermometer from Oregon Scientific, it'll alert you if you're upstairs or across the house when meat reaches a certain temperature).

The end product is great.

Probably smokier than some people like their bacon, but it was perfect for me. Sliced it, vacuum packed it in half pound bags, and froze most of it. Bacon for months for like 5 bucks a pound (had almost everything else laying around for the cure). I should make some more! That was pork belly sourced from carlton farms, they sell it now with the skin on, which is nice.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 11, 2014

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

dogcrash truther posted:

what's the best restaurant you have all ever eaten at?

Eh, I can probably mention a dozen places I had a mind blowing meal. But my favorite dining experience ever was going to the Le Cirque at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. There I was shown what world class service really means.

We were there for my brother's bachelor party, so it was a special occasion meal. My father and I both got some extravagant 7 course tasting offering they don't even seem to offer anymore. Each item was better than the last. Fois gras sliders on meticulously rounded and tiny brioche buns. Caviar. Basil sorbet. Saffron broth with lobster. Now this was almost 20 years ago, but some of those bites stick with me. But that's not the part that cemented it in my head. It was the service.

There's a real skill to placing a chair just a whisper behind someone's knee as they sit down. To smile and offer the deference of serving staff without being servile. To be everywhere and nowhere at the same time. To be perfectly in tune to the needs of the diners. Even to offer a little bit of humor.

My father is a smoker. The courses were coming somewhat quickly, with little lag between completion to new dish presentation. This started to annoy my father a little bit because he wanted to pop off to have a cigarette at the bar without having a dish get cold. He didn't say anything to the wait staff, but made an offhand comment to the table. As he finished his course, two waiters approached from behind, each at a shoulder. As one removed his current plate, the other one in the same motion placed a covered pot in front of him, to which my father gave a frustrated grunt. The first waiter, having had the dirty plate taken away by some other third waiter in the shadows, reached to the pot, and removed the lid.

In the pot, on a doily, was a cigarette and a pack of matches.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Probably the one food item I've had recently that I keep thinking about is the Yuzu Guacamole at Talde in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Each piece is a perfect two bites with several layers of flavor and textures. There's chewy and crispy in there with a seafood twinge from the shredded seaweed and a heat kick from the pepper. Oh man I want to go there right now.

joke_explainer

Bo-Pepper posted:

Probably the one food item I've had recently that I keep thinking about is the Yuzu Guacamole at Talde in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Each piece is a perfect two bites with several layers of flavor and textures. There's chewy and crispy in there with a seafood twinge from the shredded seaweed and a heat kick from the pepper. Oh man I want to go there right now.

That looks so good.

bacalou

bo-pepper that is an amazing meal story. what a thing, to have wealth

joke_explainer

bacalou posted:

bo-pepper that is an amazing meal story. what a thing, to have wealth

well, that's only 135 a person for the first menu... certainly a special occasion meal but attainable by even people with a meager income.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

I definitely spent a few hundred on it in 90s money, but yeah that definitely was something anticipated and saved for. I couldn't imagine having that sort of dining experience as a regular event in my life. It would almost cheapen it. Someone please pay for me to go to expensive restaurants like that all the time to teach me a lesson because I've been a bad boy.

dogcrash truther
what';s the best way to make brussels sprouts

dogcrash truther

Bo-Pepper posted:

In the pot, on a doily, was a cigarette and a pack of matches.

This fuckin rules

bacalou

dogcrash truther posted:

butter and high heat

joke_explainer

dogcrash truther posted:

cut up bits of bacon, get most of the grease out of the pan (not all tho), cut the ends off the brussel sprouts and remove the loose leaves, cut them in half lengthwise (perpendicular to the stem ends you cut off), heat the pan and throw the brussel sprouts in the pan, cook until fork tender on medium/medium-high, basically until they get crispy on the edges and tender, add salt and pepper and mix in the lardons (reserved bacon). you can do the same thing without the bacon, but brussel sprouts and bacon really do go together great.

funny way to spell
You're supposed to smash the yolk with mustard and mayo into a gooey paste before you mix the whites back in OP. Fail egg salad sandwich

tao of lmao

Air Julio posted:

So what I'm doing is I'm preheating my oven to about 400-425. While that's happening I'm preparing my pan by pulling the pan out of the drawer and putting it on my burner. The next thing I'm doing is taking a cookie sheet and putting a single, thin layer of aluminum foil. After spraying a shitload of canned non-stick spray on the foil, I'm going to apply a layer of seasoned french fries. This is going to help each individual fry cook evenly. After about ten minutes, I'll heat my ham-pan and then apply the ham to the ham-pan. What I'm hoping here is the heat from the ham-pan will get into the ham. The ham itself takes an application of 3 quarter-smidges of ground black pepper from the red tin thinger it comes in. After applying about half heat to the ham, I'll throw some of the frozen broccoli on a paper plate, and microwave that for 3 minutes. Upon completion I'll kill all the heating elements. Removing the paper plate from the microwave, I'm going to shovel the broccoli down to a corner of the plate (how does that even work?), and apply olive oil and redwine vinegar to them. Plate the ham, plate the fries, and then i eat it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Air Julio posted:

So what I'm doing is I'm preheating my oven to about 400-425. While that's happening I'm preparing my pan by pulling the pan out of the drawer and putting it on my burner. The next thing I'm doing is taking a cookie sheet and putting a single, thin layer of aluminum foil. After spraying a shitload of canned non-stick spray on the foil, I'm going to apply a layer of seasoned french fries. This is going to help each individual fry cook evenly. After about ten minutes, I'll heat my ham-pan and then apply the ham to the ham-pan. What I'm hoping here is the heat from the ham-pan will get into the ham. The ham itself takes an application of 3 quarter-smidges of ground black pepper from the red tin thinger it comes in. After applying about half heat to the ham, I'll throw some of the frozen broccoli on a paper plate, and microwave that for 3 minutes. Upon completion I'll kill all the heating elements. Removing the paper plate from the microwave, I'm going to shovel the broccoli down to a corner of the plate (how does that even work?), and apply olive oil and redwine vinegar to them. Plate the ham, plate the fries, and then i eat it all.

maybe carmelize the ham? some pineapple on that ham? or glaze it with high heat and honey ro something?