Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Someone could easily write a fake irc log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I'm still not believing it until it actually goes live, because there is no goddamn way that the shambling corpse of id would gently caress up that badly.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

He really seems to despise the entirety of the old community.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
What weird irc channel exists where id employees think it's a smart idea to just spew forth this type of communication? I just skimmed through ctrl+f'ing him and it just sounds like he's ready to make a bunch of crazy mutator-like changes to Quake Live and see what happens.... With the unspoken assumption that this will likely kill Quake Live (him saying that the people that have been playing for 5+ years aren't going anywhere is so horribly delusional).

If that IS really Sponge. :tinfoil:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
That's supposedly from the focus testing channel.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
That log doesn't even have timestamps that would at least making faking it a bit more difficult.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Making weird mutator-like changes to Quake Live wouldn't kill it. I'd even say doing it is a good idea. It's the "default game type" part that's a problem.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

How many players does Quake Live get these days? It sounds like (if this turns out to be real and official) they're attempting to make a new game while still trading on the Quake name.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Happy 400 pages, err'ybody in this thread.

I celebrated by playing Doom Ep2 with a friend an some telefraggin' pubs with Zandrominium. We were constantly lost as gently caress because Ep2 is a jumbled mess and I rarely subject myself to it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Halfway through Hellbound and the maps have 600 enemies on them. How in gently caress did this dude think that was compelling map design? It's a shame the levels themselves look so good because I really hate this WAD.

e: Also I love the recurring habit of having a really strong enemy hiding literally just around a corner. When I stepped into a room and an Arch-Vile was two feet away from me, I pretty much lost my mind.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

400 pages, nice! I can barely remember when the last thread ended.

RyokoTK posted:

Halfway through Hellbound and the maps have 600 enemies on them. How in gently caress did this dude think that was compelling map design? It's a shame the levels themselves look so good because I really hate this WAD.

e: Also I love the recurring habit of having a really strong enemy hiding literally just around a corner. When I stepped into a room and an Arch-Vile was two feet away from me, I pretty much lost my mind.

Welcome to Hell(bound)!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

iddqd, idkfa, tour the pretty maps?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

RyokoTK posted:

I've brought it up in the thread (and other people have, too) but yeah, that's basically my problem with the WAD. It's a series of beautiful maps with designs that tell a story, but they're frequently too large and get carried away with enemies. You could probably chop many of the maps down to half or even a third of their original size, and they'd be great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It's not even that the maps themselves are too large -- some of them are pretty big but not that unreasonable. The problem is that there are monsters crammed absolutely loving everywhere. Like, if it's a room or a nook or a ledge that could have a monster, it's guaranteed to have five Hell Knights crammed there instead. It's just exhausting.

It's probably worth just playing on Hey Not Too Rough or something just for a lower monster density.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I have a lot of words to write about mods that ramp the difficulty way beyond that of the original game - I got back into XCOM recently after a long time away from it, and the "Long War" mod for that game seems amazing (from both a design and development perspective) but it's designed with the assumption that the player has been repeatedly winning by a comfortable margin on the hardest difficulty of the base game for five years straight.

...then I remember what mod I made, and I shut my trap. :v:

The Kins fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 11, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't have an issue with mods assuming a certain level of familiarity and experience with the original game, especially within the Early FPS subgenre, since I would expect much of the consumer base for those mods is going to be at a higher-than-average skill level for those games. That's been my operating principle behind my Marathon scenario, anyway. The problem is when they reach a level of tedious grindy difficulty.

Hellbound isn't especially difficult (unless you're trying to do it without saves, I guess) but it's just so loving drawn out and the pacing that makes Doom fun to begin with is completely ruined.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Kins posted:

I have a lot of words to write about mods that ramp the difficulty way beyond that of the original game - I got back into XCOM recently after a long time away from it, and the "Long War" mod for that game seems amazing (from both a design and development perspective) but it's designed with the assumption that the player has been repeatedly winning by a comfortable margin on the hardest difficulty of the base game for five years straight.

I never really saw Reelism as assuming the player was a Doom savant, though. Like, yeah, it generates randomized slaughter-fests for you, but unlike actual slaughter-maps, finding a relatively sane place to hide is a perfectly legitimate option (like the north-east corner of the upper floor of the mall on Gutrot Island; hide in there with the weapon and item spawns, run out only when necessary). Most slaughtermaps I've tried are significantly more cruel in monster placement than that.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

I never really thought of Reelism as that difficult until I tried getting my friends into it. Sure, my first experience was dying quickly on Gutrot Island with no weapons a few times before getting frustrated and putting it down, but I can regularly beat the boss fights and all that stuff. Then I tried getting my friends into it over a network game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If you just consider Reelism to be comparable to any bullshit roguelite like The Binding of Isaac then its difficulty level is pretty much on point.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Yeah, Reelism is ridiculously hard, but it's not really meant to be beaten. I'd probably include an easier version if I was doing it as a commercial product, but for a ridiculously silly mod, it's fine.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've brought it up in the thread (and other people have, too) but yeah, that's basically my problem with the WAD. It's a series of beautiful maps with designs that tell a story, but they're frequently too large and get carried away with enemies. You could probably chop many of the maps down to half or even a third of their original size, and they'd be great.

Yeah, Hellbound had this nasty habit of flooding places with enemies suddenly; great design for the most part but man did those mid-level waves get tiresome.

I'm trying to think of WADs that have good level design without high-bodycount maps, and I can't come up with anything at the moment.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Reelism never felt hard to me just because it's not like "aw poo poo I died I lost so much progress" it's just like "oh I died whatever let's roll them bones again!"

The only time I'm like "oh cmon" is when I keep getting Blue Magic weaponset because I really don't like any of those weapons.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's more than one weapon in the Blue Magic set? I only ever get the Baron of Hell arm. I don't find it super hard most of the time, once you learn where items and weapons spawn, you can regularly beat a map excluding a bad spin.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
If I could make a change to Reelism it would be to have the Duke Nukem 3D weapons use the same ammo pools as their equivalents in the other rounds.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Haven't seen it mentioned yet but the author of Winter's Fury, PyroScourge, has released a demo of S.U.P.E.R Natural, a horror/survival style mod set in the same universe as Winter's Fury. It's pretty drat good, if very dark (you'll want to wait till it's dark to play it) Of course like Winter's Fury it's really demanding so if your PC struggled with that than it's the same here.

here's a link to the release topic on the zdoom forums

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Elliotw2 posted:

There's more than one weapon in the Blue Magic set? I only ever get the Baron of Hell arm. I don't find it super hard most of the time, once you learn where items and weapons spawn, you can regularly beat a map excluding a bad spin.

The alien's psionic booster, which is okay, and Larry's laser rifle, which is only good if you get the double fire-rate slot. The super weapon is a gun that shoots homing bees, which is pretty good, but kinda lame as far as super weapons go.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wanted Reelism to be more of a chase-the-high-score thing where actually winning is just a hard-to-attain bonus. (I probably should have made it for a game that supports persistent high score storage...) That said, I tried to make it somewhat fair (limiting enemy hitscan range, banning certain reels from appearing in round 1 etc.) so that you at least have a chance to react to something before it can kill you. Not sure how successful I was.

Elliotw2 posted:

Blue Magic is terrible and I really want to make it not terrible.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Blue magic weapons just need a buff, and maybe some more diversification. Jetpack Larry's gun fires really slow projectiles that do little damage, the baron arm fire too slowly, and while the psionic amplifier is useful it could certainly use some punch-up.

I'd make Larry's gun fire faster projectiles with either more damage or some splash radius (to make it like the Quake 3 plasmagun), make the baron arm fire faster, make the psi amp flame thing move faster (maybe make the charge-up time before actually firing the shot a little longer?), and polish up the beegun a bit to make it punchier.

Not sure what you could really add to the blue magic pool. Rip the revolver from Powerslave and say it's the cowboy sidearm? (You should be ripping Powerslave weapons anyway)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Blue magic weapons just need a buff, and maybe some more diversification. Jetpack Larry's gun fires really slow projectiles that do little damage, the baron arm fire too slowly, and while the psionic amplifier is useful it could certainly use some punch-up.

I'd make Larry's gun fire faster projectiles with either more damage or some splash radius (to make it like the Quake 3 plasmagun), make the baron arm fire faster, make the psi amp flame thing move faster (maybe make the charge-up time before actually firing the shot a little longer?), and polish up the beegun a bit to make it punchier.

Not sure what you could really add to the blue magic pool. Rip the revolver from Powerslave and say it's the cowboy sidearm? (You should be ripping Powerslave weapons anyway)
In my dev version, the Baron Arm does double damage and Larry's Gun's lasers move faster. I also need to tweak the Baron Arm animation to give it more oomf.

In other news, John Romero's started work on his first shooter since Daikatana. Take this as you will.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Psi-onic Amplifier behaves exactly the same, but it does far more damage while costing more. Basically, make it the "okay, no, this is too much poo poo around me; better carve a path through this mob" weapon it was always meant to be. (I mean, yeah, there's the item that thrusts enemies away from you, but that's a radius thrust, this is carving a straight line.)

This reminds me that I was making both a cowboy stage and a basketball stadium stage for the mod. Didn't finish either, but the basketball stadium's much further along than the cowboy stage is. I should probably do more work on those.

(...also, it's always bugged me how Abridged doesn't have the Bridge theme from Mortal Kombat III as a music choice, but I suppose that can't be helped.)

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

I wanted Reelism to be more of a chase-the-high-score thing where actually winning is just a hard-to-attain bonus. (I probably should have made it for a game that supports persistent high score storage...) That said, I tried to make it somewhat fair (limiting enemy hitscan range, banning certain reels from appearing in round 1 etc.) so that you at least have a chance to react to something before it can kill you. Not sure how successful I was.
Blue Magic is terrible and I really want to make it not terrible.

So sort of like Tetris, then (can't you actually "beat" Tetris)? That's basically how I treat Reelism: I focus more on scores than on reaching the endgame.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So sort of like Tetris, then (can't you actually "beat" Tetris)? That's basically how I treat Reelism: I focus more on scores than on reaching the endgame.

Yeah most versions of Tetris have an ending. The original computer versions had Soviet rockets blast off and poo poo.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Keiya posted:

Making weird mutator-like changes to Quake Live wouldn't kill it. I'd even say doing it is a good idea. It's the "default game type" part that's a problem.

They actually already have straight up mutator-like settings for people that bother to "rent" their own custom servers. People changing damage on every weapon, fire rates... whatever. Adding these things likely didn't boost their subscribers or server renting all that much, and it certainly had the downside of segregating the tiny CA community. So I disagree with mutators being a good idea.

In a way, this new "default" they are proposing is the opposite of that. It's the only way they are going to get the entire player base to even step into servers using it. And if people don't like it (specifically the few people they have that still play regularly), they will just put the game down. There's no way they are going to rent their own servers to re-instate the OLD vanilla Quake Live... and given these proposed changes, they probably won't even make that possible. I'm sure the existing player base would sooner just make Q3A servers and leave QL in a max exodus.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Essobie posted:

They actually already have straight up mutator-like settings for people that bother to "rent" their own custom servers. People changing damage on every weapon, fire rates... whatever. Adding these things likely didn't boost their subscribers or server renting all that much, and it certainly had the downside of segregating the tiny CA community. So I disagree with mutators being a good idea.

In a way, this new "default" they are proposing is the opposite of that. It's the only way they are going to get the entire player base to even step into servers using it. And if people don't like it (specifically the few people they have that still play regularly), they will just put the game down. There's no way they are going to rent their own servers to re-instate the OLD vanilla Quake Live... and given these proposed changes, they probably won't even make that possible. I'm sure the existing player base would sooner just make Q3A servers and leave QL in a max exodus.

At this point, I don't see why remaining QL playerbase would bother with QL. Just switch over to your Q3A source port of choice and maybe have someone alter RA3 so that it plays like QL's CA, and you're set.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm not sure why any of the hardcore Q3 crowd ever stuck with Quake Live. It was a pretty fair attempt at trying to bring back Q3 to the more casual crowd, but I can't imagine why people would play that instead of the perfectly functional and serviceable Quake 3.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Now that I'm at Map 25 in Hellbound, the game's taken a pretty sharp upturn. Surprisingly, the Hell levels are an order of magnitude better (and better looking) than the Earth levels, and I think that's because they're really abstract and distilled. The combat is a lot better as a result. It's still not great, but it flows a lot better.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Hellbound is the Brutal Doom of megaWADs. It's one of the highest-rated campaigns on all of the Idgames archive, and generally spoken highly of, but a lot of the old guard seem to really dislike it.

Personally, I love it and think that it's ridiculous that it got passed over for a Cacoward. Sure, the maps are bigger than average and not really beatable in one life (seriously, SAVE REGULARLY or you will go insane), but that's not really a flaw, just a slightly different playstyle.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

RyokoTK posted:

Now that I'm at Map 25 in Hellbound, the game's taken a pretty sharp upturn. Surprisingly, the Hell levels are an order of magnitude better (and better looking) than the Earth levels, and I think that's because they're really abstract and distilled. The combat is a lot better as a result. It's still not great, but it flows a lot better.

I have to agree. To me, Hellbound definitely had a barrier to entry. The first 10 maps or so are slogfests but as you get further in the maps get better.

The problem, of course, is that the maps are so big that 10 maps will take you a while.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dominic White posted:

Hellbound is the Brutal Doom of megaWADs. It's one of the highest-rated campaigns on all of the Idgames archive, and generally spoken highly of, but a lot of the old guard seem to really dislike it.

Personally, I love it and think that it's ridiculous that it got passed over for a Cacoward. Sure, the maps are bigger than average and not really beatable in one life (seriously, SAVE REGULARLY or you will go insane), but that's not really a flaw, just a slightly different playstyle.

I feel no shame in save-scumming like a cheating pansy in Hellbound. This is the WAD that will teleport in an Arch-Vile immediately behind you in an open room, five hundred monsters into a gigantic mega-metropolis map. There is no mercy.

e: Especially because it's also incredibly fuckin' stingy with health pickups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I started collecting big box PC games and I'll be damned if it isn't the dumbest loving market

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sin-PC-Big-...=item4185509dc5