Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Atmus posted:

I don't know why you would, I was just wondering if it did.

Yes it does, I had always avoided parking facing downhill until I discovered that. Works great when you need to back up hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

veedubfreak posted:

I went and checked out the new GTI last Friday and my god is it a beautiful car. HURRY UP WITH THE R ALREADY VW.

I've tried to convince my wife to trade in her MkVI R for a new one. She's too far in love with hers to do it though.

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007
To add to this, the 2.0T + DSG *should* mean you get launch control so you can still do dumbfuck dump clutch starts if that's something you'd miss in a manual. Check though because my friends new GTI has the DSG and he can't find anything about launch control yet it comes as standard with DSG on the Audis which is basically the same car...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Laranzu posted:

Focus ST recall out for the stalling/weird idle issues.

Mine does it with ac on when clutching in at lights. The TSB required a check engine light being on.

Recall number is 14S17

So without the CEL, no joy? I notice this about once every week or two (noticed it this AM on the drive in), but it has yet to throw a code.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

So without the CEL, no joy? I notice this about once every week or two (noticed it this AM on the drive in), but it has yet to throw a code.

Recall is via VIN. TSB required a code. I haven't seen a vin that doesn't qualify yet

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Laranzu posted:

Recall is via VIN. TSB required a code. I haven't seen a vin that doesn't qualify yet

checked mine and it qualifies, oh boy more time at the dealer!

edit except they won't have parts in for two weeks. jesus

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 11, 2014

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

whitey delenda est posted:

checked mine and it qualifies, oh boy more time at the dealer!

edit except they won't have parts in for two weeks. jesus

I just moved and this dealers service writer had no idea what I was talking about, had to ask if it was a manual, tried to call the parts person but couldn't get an answer.

Said she would call me back. Never did. I'm in for a fun one.

Anyone know a good Ford dealer in the Florida panhandle/ mobile area?

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

LoopyJuice posted:

To add to this, the 2.0T + DSG *should* mean you get launch control so you can still do dumbfuck dump clutch starts if that's something you'd miss in a manual. Check though because my friends new GTI has the DSG and he can't find anything about launch control yet it comes as standard with DSG on the Audis which is basically the same car...

My 2007 has it and I'm pretty sure there is just a quick blurb in the manual that mentions it might be enabled, but doesn't give instructions. If your friend turns off the traction control and then holds the brake and gas in either sport or manual mode it should let the car rev to ~3500 RPMs instead of only going to ~1000. If it doesn't do that then no launch control. I have only ever used it in a "Hey, check this out!" scenario.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Test drove a Fiesta ST today, I liked it pretty well and told the salesman three times that I wanted to try a focus St for comparisons sake.

I mentioned that I wasn't interested in any of the colors they had on the lot and he outright refused to let me drive a can that "I had no intention of buying."

Well nice job buddy I'm gonna let you waste a bunch of time trying to find a car I want and then tell you to gently caress right off.

This is why I hate the dealership process so much, but it's also a good reason why to give as little info as possible to the salesperson.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_WybR9pE4E

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

priznat posted:

Is it sacrilegious to be eyeballing the DSG in the new GTI vs the MT? I have a 5 spd manual now but the whole dual clutch thing just sounds neat.

I'm hearing rumors that the R is only going to come with DSG when it first comes out. I really want to keep with a MT. I have seen a brand new GTI every day since last Thursday and it's getting harder and harder to wait for the R.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wow that seems pretty odd. Should have the option for either really.

I had a look at local used A3 prices and they seem strangely pricey for 3 year old+ small hatchbacks. I'm pretty annoyed they switched over to the sedans only in North America for the new model. Or just Canada? Anyway, what the hell Audi??

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I dig this guy's format.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

I'm hearing rumors that the R is only going to come with DSG when it first comes out. I really want to keep with a MT. I have seen a brand new GTI every day since last Thursday and it's getting harder and harder to wait for the R.

The 7R20 will be both. VW learned from the R32 that people will bitch if it's DSG only, and they also learned from the 6R20 that people will bitch if it's manual only.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is why I hate the dealership process so much, but it's also a good reason why to give as little info as possible to the salesperson.
My salesman recognizes me by name.
I missed out on seeing the new Mustang at his dealership a week ago because I never gave him a phone number to call me when one came in for training. I'm ok with that. He doesn't know its my middle name.

whitey delenda est posted:

I dig this guy's format.
And I turned it off. That was horrible.
Different strokes, etc.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 11, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm just amazed that he's so stupid not to realize that I can find 6 other ford dealerships in less than an hour's drive.

He also lied to me and said that dealerships couldn't order brand new '15 models. :byewhore:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Dealerships in the US seem like they're part of some alternative lizard men sci-fi story, where they're all owned by the ZOG-eco terrorist-communazi triumvirate which sole purpose is to keep the populace from buying new cars.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The 7R20 will be both. VW learned from the R32 that people will bitch if it's DSG only, and they also learned from the 6R20 that people will bitch if it's manual only.

I'm still optimistic, but with VW you never know.

That extra 1100 for the DSG option pays for an APR tune and the first couple tickets :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

priznat posted:

Wow that seems pretty odd. Should have the option for either really.

I had a look at local used A3 prices and they seem strangely pricey for 3 year old+ small hatchbacks. I'm pretty annoyed they switched over to the sedans only in North America for the new model. Or just Canada? Anyway, what the hell Audi??

Must be your area. I found A3's here to be cheaper than GTI's of the same year. Picked up a 2006 for 8k.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

8ender posted:

Must be your area. I found A3's here to be cheaper than GTI's of the same year. Picked up a 2006 for 8k.

Most likely. Car prices are pretty high here it seems. Cheapest 2006 on autotrader is $11.6k!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I quite like my local VW dealership, they were super accommodating AND pleasant to deal with. Just a very clean and standard purchase with no drama, which is the best I can ask for really. Also the only thing that was on my car was a license plate holder with the dealership name on it, they don't believe in those awful sticker/emblem things that a lot of dealerships have.

The local Ford, Mazda, and Fiat dealers though are all poo poo. The Ford dealership were a bunch of meatheads trying to sell giant pickup trucks and seemed confused that I was after their Focus ST, the Mazda dealership is way too desperate and missed the point entirely when we were shopping the new 3s. Kept comparing it to Toyotas which we opened up with how we weren't interested in ANY Toyotas. The Fiat dealership wouldn't let us test drive their 13 Abarth they had on the lot, which would make sense I suppose if I was some kid, but instead I'm a 30 year old guy who shows up with my wife to shop for her, and we drive up in a Golf R. It was just unpleasant and really soured me on Fiats in general if that is the sort of place I'd have to deal with.

I really doubt VW would only sell the new R with a DSG, they should have learned the first time they tried to do that. They've also already stated that both options will be available and to go back on that would be confusing at the very least. I won't be getting a new R if it's DSG anyway, I need to row my own gears. Now if VW would only talk about that Golf R Wagon and if they are bringing the R 400 stateside....

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Aug 12, 2014

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

KakerMix posted:

The Fiat dealership wouldn't let us test drive their 13 Abarth they had on the lot, which would make sense I suppose if I was some kid, but instead I'm a 30 year old guy who shows up with my wife to shop for her, and we drive up in a Golf R. It was just unpleasant and really soured me on Fiats in general if that is the sort of place I'd have to deal with.

That's completely different than my experience with Fiat. I dropped by the dealer one day and looked around, got a feel for the cars, and said I' be back later with my wife. No pressure. They didn't even ask for my name or contact info.
Did some research and decided I wanted to try out their last loaded 2013 Abarth that they had a smoking deal on. Called them up and asked if we could try one out. "No problem. come on down."
We showed up and the 2013 was still on the showroom floor on a raised display stand. They apologized for not having it ready and tossed us the keys to a 2014 to test drive while they got the 2013 down. The salesmen were very interested in my Wife's R and asked a lot of questions about it.
We drove the pants off the 2014 and when we returned the 2013 was parked out front and ready to roll. We drove that one too. I liked the car but wasn't quite ready to buy. I got their price for the car and we left.
Two weeks later I got a text message asking if I was still interested in the 2013. I said 'yes, but not quite at your price'. He texted back asking my price. I gave him a low-ball answer. A few minutes later he said they could meet that price if I was ready to buy today. 30 minutes later I was in the office signing paperwork. Got that Abarth for about $9K off MSRP.
It was actually my best ever experience dealing with a new car dealer. If they were all like that I'd almost say I'd buy new cars more often.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's almost like an independent dealer network doesn't offer a consistent sales, service or parts experience at all!

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's almost like an independent dealer network doesn't offer a consistent sales, service or parts experience at all!

Hmmmm. I wonder if maybe letting the manufacturers open their own stores alongside the locals might change that.

LoopyJuice
Jul 5, 2007

Hansolio posted:

My 2007 has it and I'm pretty sure there is just a quick blurb in the manual that mentions it might be enabled, but doesn't give instructions. If your friend turns off the traction control and then holds the brake and gas in either sport or manual mode it should let the car rev to ~3500 RPMs instead of only going to ~1000. If it doesn't do that then no launch control. I have only ever used it in a "Hey, check this out!" scenario.

Yeah I've got it in the S3 but I don't think he's tried to use it yet, how does it do in a FWD car? Given he said its a handful with the TC off for normal driving i'd imagine you leave most of your tyres on the tarmac after a launch? In the quattro its a whole different beast and there isn't a lot that will beat it off the line for the same money.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Kill-9 posted:

Hmmmm. I wonder if maybe letting the manufacturers open their own stores alongside the locals might change that.

Pretty sure that's what the whole Tesla thing is all about, what with forgoing dealerships entirely and causing all sorts of dealers to lose their poo poo and lobby for legislation.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is there a thread for bad dealers? I'm not complaining about them in this thread I just like reading about them and commiserating.

Really it's the worst part of buying a car, the loving rigmarole. I just bought my wife a car and the dealerships I went to ranged from somewhat bearable to loving godawful in a "who the hell would want to deal with you" way. Even the good one with all the extra bullshit they try to tack on at the end..

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I was very fortunate and the second dealership I went to was fantastic. I test drove what is now my FiST (without the salesperson insisting on riding along), and when I walked back in he asked me "what did you think?" , followed up by "Well, if you like it, we can do up the paperwork now. If you would like to think about it I work Monday-Friday, come back in and we'll see what we can do for you". After basically being held hostage at the car lot I previously visited, my jaw about dropped at him saying that. I purchased that night and recommended him to all my friends and family.

gently caress that game playing, I want to test out the car, hear the best number you can do and be done with it.

blueblueblue
Mar 18, 2009

Dr.Caligari posted:

gently caress that game playing, I want to test out the car, hear the best number you can do and be done with it.

This, so many times. I am trying to find a FiST right now and even before I get into the dealership the salesman play their dumb games. All their salesmanship is pushing me away from a sale!

The worst one so far has to be the dealer who claimed they had one, but was actually still in transit. They told me on the phone it was on lot, when I got there they said they never claimed that. Great way to make a sale, lying about the car!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Seems to be a trend, to be honest.

At this point it seems like it would be easier to have them order one for you and hope that the incentives are good when it shows up in 3 months.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I had an awesome experience with Leif Johnson Ford in Austin a little over a year ago -

2013 FoST3 popped up online with 14,500 miles. Listed at 26,500 or some such.

I emailed their internet department and told them that if they would give it to me for ~25k out the door, taxes and all I would put an immediate credit card down payment down and bring a check from my credit union for the rest.

20 minutes after making the offer, they said sure. I drove down to Austin, picked up the car, was done with paperwork in about an hour, and ended up getting a preowned ST3 for 23,500 before tax, title, and fees, or about 25k after all of that stuff.

Car has been completely problem free ever since, and it now has about 26k miles on it.

I've also had great luck with miscellaneous Ford dealers (Planet Ford in Houston, Metro Ford in Miami) doing all the TSBs for the 2013 Focii without any major hassles. Just had to ask nicely!

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The one FiST I was able to find to test drive a few months ago was a horrible dealer experience.

SFH1989 posted:

I test drove a Fiesta ST over the weekend. The car was fine but the salesman was annoying as hell. Went with me for the drive that was only about five miles on 25mph roads and I made the mistake of showing that I liked the car. When we got back he tried to hard sell me on doing something that day after I told him I was only there for a test drive and I wasn't going to commit to anything. I really need to learn how to be an rear end in a top hat when necessary, should have just left after five minutes of him trying to get me to leave a down payment.

I should have only been there for 30min with most of that being test drive. Instead it was an hour with only 10min being in the car. At least I didn't make any bad decisions and learned from it.

In comparison a few days before that I test drove a BRZ. I was just wandering around the dealership and, not even expressing all that much interest, the first salesman that came up to me got me the keys and let me take it by myself. When I was done I told him I liked but didn't think it was practical enough and I wasn't buying anything right now anyway and left it at that. Now that I'm interested in the new WRX I'll definitely give him a call if I decide to buy one.

Basically gently caress hard sell rear end in a top hat salesmen.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

bobfather posted:

I had an awesome experience with Leif Johnson Ford in Austin a little over a year ago -

I've never bought from them but the times I have been in there the salesmen have been pretty cool and low key. Last time was to try out a FoST when they were brand spanking new. The salesguy spent more time talking about the pimped out custom Mustang they had on the floor. If I ever buy a new Ford again I'll stop by there first.

Covert Ford in Austin pissed me off big-time with the FoST. My family had bought at least 8 vehicles from them over the past 10 years. My wife was literally the first person to test drive the new FoST. I'd told the salesman to call us when they came in. They got their very first one and they were still unwrapping it when we showed up. After the drive I asked how much and he quoted MSRP. I said let's look at the numbers when we get back to the office. While we are sitting at his desk the owner of Covert calls and 'emergency' meeting of all sales people. In front of us he says to the guys "We just got the first FoST in Texas. We'll take the first offer on it for $5K over MSRP."

When the sales guy sat back down he sheepishly said the price has gone up. I stood up, shook his hand, and walked.

A couple days later I got a call asking if I was still interested at my initial offer. I told him that offer expired the second I walked out the door. My new offer is MSRP -$3K. My wife ended up with a Golf R and couldn't be happier.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
My last dealer experience wasn't for a hatch (I drive a 5-door STi, wife was in love with a GenCoupe), but I was a pretty good time.

Basically my wife wanted a fully loaded 3.8 GenCoupe "Track Edition". The dealer was asking around 37k for it, you could build it on their website for a smidge over 34k.

The sales guy wasn't too douchey, but dutifully pushed us. Included the whole "let me talk to the sales manager" every time I made a proposal.

I was totally nice to the dude. He was actually very likable and just doing his job. His manager was a sleaze bag type though. We got serious on our 3rd visit in 3 days, and the sales guy's weekend was coming up so he was really wanting to make the sale.

We told him our budget was 30k, and after some haggling he came back at 30.5. Fine, we started to move forward on paperwork and I got to a part about qualifying for 2k rebate.

I pushed him on this and he claimed that "well we already applied the rebate to get you to 30.5!"

To which I replied "so that means we are getting the car for 32.5? No thanks." And we walked out.

I got all cocky and told my wife "watch this" and I pulled out in an odd way that ensured I traversed the front of the dealership building as we left.

Sure enough the sales guy came out, and I ended up paying 28.5 on a car they we originally asking 37 for.

I also got 1.9% interest. Wife and I both have credit well into the 800s, so when they were talking about 2.9 points I told them "I don't know what other people get, but our interest rates begin with a 1". After a lot of hemming and hawing they came down.

Sales dude was pretty impressed with how far we got his manager to bend. He seemed to actually enjoy it.

I'm not saying we got the absolute best deal, but it was nice to be able to push back. It taught me to never hesitate on making a deal even if my offer seems absurd to the dealer. Also, never hesitate to walk out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Someone at my work has a Veloster Turbo parked near where I park most days, and I really like it. It's not the car for me, but I'm glad it exists, you know?

Curious to hear anyone's impressions of driving/owning one. Is the back door useful for average sized adults? How is the rear visibility? How does it handle?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

priznat posted:

Someone at my work has a Veloster Turbo parked near where I park most days, and I really like it. It's not the car for me, but I'm glad it exists, you know?

Curious to hear anyone's impressions of driving/owning one. Is the back door useful for average sized adults? How is the rear visibility? How does it handle?

The back seat fits 2 adults fine, if you are looking to carry 4 people regularly I wouldn't recommend it.

The car is a blast to drive, the rear end is a bit springy but that's not a big deal. Rear visibility is my biggest complaint with the car, but it just takes some getting used to.

The engine is fantastic once you remove the magnetic latch from inside the air box. I've been averaging about 29-31 mpg for the last 4k miles. That isn't driving conservatively either, I regularly thrash it about quite a bit. I wouldn't consider buying it without the turbo though, that extra oomph is excellent.

I've had mine for about 4 months now and I really quite enjoy it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

They sure are neat looking with the big grille. My wife just got a Santa Fe Sport (I did the legwork and narrowed it down to a couple crossovers) and was really impressed with the Hyundais. Opted for the 2.0T in that, is that the same as in the Veloster Turbo? Peppy little engine, fun to drive for a crossover even.

Hyundai and Kia sure have come a long way, I'd definitely check out models for myself from either these days.

Edit: no looks like the VT is a 1.6T. The 2.0T with 260+ hp would be pretty bonkers in that.

priznat fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 14, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
i feel less bad about the fact that the only thing keeping me from dropping many thousands of dollars for a new car I dont need is the feeling of dread every time I imagine going to a dealership.

If amazon sold cars, I'd be ~$20,000 poorer right now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I swung into the local Honda dealer yesterday to pick up some washers and chatted with a salesman about Fits and he was totally upfront and didn't BS me at all. Both my mother and sister have bought cars there with no issues at all. Meanwhile someone I consider a friend that works at a Toyota dealer is being pushy as hell and kind of shady trying to get us to buy a car there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

priznat posted:

They sure are neat looking with the big grille. My wife just got a Santa Fe Sport (I did the legwork and narrowed it down to a couple crossovers) and was really impressed with the Hyundais. Opted for the 2.0T in that, is that the same as in the Veloster Turbo? Peppy little engine, fun to drive for a crossover even.

Hyundai and Kia sure have come a long way, I'd definitely check out models for myself from either these days.

Edit: no looks like the VT is a 1.6T. The 2.0T with 260+ hp would be pretty bonkers in that.

I would pay lots of dollars to get the 2.0T on the VT.

As is, the car is pretty light already so the 1.6T at 201HP is quite fast, fastest car I've ever had anyways (which isn't saying a whole lot).