Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

sportsgenius86 posted:

This sounds like complete emotion from this friend.

My two big things here are still that despite his issues, I cannot see Tony Stewart ever purposely hitting a human being with a race car, and that I don't think it's ever correct to assume that he "should have been able to see" the guy because I doubt many of the people claiming this have ever been in a situation where they're taking a turn in a sprint car with a human that close to their line on the track. I think it's irresponsible to claim that what you see in a typical turn is in any way indicative of this situation. The only person whose opinion I'd even consider valuing in terms of track visibility is whoever was driving that No. 45 car. I don't think anyone else's opinion is comparable.

Yep and a mechanic on the 45 car said his driver said he only saw Ward at the last second and narrowly missed him, and that was with Ward stepping back as the 45 came around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You can't tell me with a straight face if you've seen video footage of Ward jumping out of the way of the 45 car that this was anything but Ward's fault. Dude literally walked in front of two race cars and failed to get out of the way of the second.

Why aren't more people discussing the fact that maybe Ward misjudged how close he was getting to the cars. After all, sprint cars on dirt don't really travel in a straight-ish line the way a stock car or indy car would on asphalt. Maybe he stepped where he thought the car would miss him and made a fatal error in judgement.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

Auron posted:

My initial reaction was that Tony purposely tried to sling mud at the guy, and it went horribly wrong. I thought both guys made some dumb decision.

After hearing from a couple of guys who have been involved with sprint racing, I'm 90% convinced that Tony Stewart is not at fault whatsoever and Ward is a moron.

This is going to be one of those things that some people get all worked up about it and any suggestions it was Ward's fault leads to cries of victim blaming, but it turns out its entirely Ward's fault for being lethally stupid. Given that the very first reports on this incident, nationally reported by the biggest outlets, had a wide variety of now proven to be false and outrage-inducing facts and rumors really didn't help.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

canti32 posted:

And I agree with whoever said above that if this was any other racer at the track this would be" just a tragic accident", but since it was Tony Stewart, noted hothead, the narrative jumped right to "he must've finally lost it and killed someone".

If it was Kasey Kahne driving the car no one would even consider it being intentional, because he's such a cute nice guy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If a dumb person was walking out into lanes of traffic on the freeway and was hit and killed, I can think of almost no circumstance where we would blame the driver. Because you just don't walk out into lanes of traffic.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is sort of like walking out onto a live rifle range.

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

Mahoning posted:

If a dumb person was walking out into lanes of traffic on the freeway and was hit and killed, I can think of almost no circumstance where we would blame the driver. Because you just don't walk out into lanes of traffic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dont%C3%A9_Stallworth#DUI_manslaughter_charges

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is unrelated to the Stewart incident, but it's about driver deaths on these small tracks and gives a bit of an inside look into the world of local racing.

http://www.si.com/longform/dirt-racing/index.html

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Yes, you found a situation that disproves my statement. And it has zero resemblance to the Stewart/Ward incident other than the driver being a famous athlete.

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

Holy poo poo I just got owned

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

leica posted:

If it was Kasey Kahne driving the car no one would even consider it being intentional, because he's such a cute nice guy.

"He was shy and quiet; you knew someday he was going to snap"

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I like how the the thread title makes it sound like Tony killed another driver, adding to his death toll.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's unconfirmed at this point but I do believe Tony Stewart has played video games and enjoys violent movies.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME
If only there was a good guy with a gun...

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

BEARS IN THE BARN posted:

The cars also require throttle to turn (especially at speed) and have no transmission or clutch to eliminate drivetrain loss.

Also check out the sweet visibility you get on the right side (hood scoop channeling air upwards, the right side wing):

Also dont forget, you also lose more visibility as well wearing a helmet. You can test this theory yourself, try wearing a ski helmet and goggles and doing everyday things.
try doing things in a dimly lit room for extra challenges.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
You gon' act like a bitch, you gon' die like a bitch.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
This is a bad thread so shut it down please.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010

leica posted:

You're correct. He'd make a great bottom. :swoon:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVoGZxReEPk

You can see poo poo out of those things, huh?

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Stallworth accepted a plea and went to jail despite everyone knowing he would have been found innocent, then settled with the family, because he felt horrible for them and didn't want to drag the victim's family through the court case to in-detail discuss the death.

So he got 30 days in jail and community service, despite being drunk and high and speeding, because when you walk out into traffic and get hit, you're still wrong.

However, as mentioned, that's not the same case as this. Because the track isn't the highway and the hundred other reasons a sport is not a morning commute.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

davecrazy posted:

You can see poo poo out of those things, huh?

That's quite a bit more visibility than I was expecting.

Is the course from this video significantly better lit than the one Stewart was on?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bashez posted:

That's quite a bit more visibility than I was expecting.

Is the course from this video significantly better lit than the one Stewart was on?

keep in mind you're also wearing that huge helmet that doesn't give you much peripheral vision.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

DJExile posted:

keep in mind you're also wearing that huge helmet that doesn't give you much peripheral vision.

Don't forget 14 laps of mud on your visor as well.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Parmesan Basil posted:

This is a bad thread so shut it down please.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

bewbies posted:

It is sort of like walking out onto a live rifle range.

There is nothing that will get goons to up and admit "Yea, he was so stupid, he deserved to die."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

cname posted:

There is nothing that will get goons to up and admit "Yea, he was so stupid, he deserved to die."

You have serious issues if you believe someone "deserves to die" for being stupid. Seek help.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

You have the reading comprehension skills of a blind man

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

"If Kevin Ward didn't want to die he shouldn't have stood by the side of the track in such a slutty revealing outfit. He was asking for it."

- Most NASCAR fans.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
You wanna live in the same society as people who literally play in the traffic? What's the solution here? Provide better education on the hazards of running around on race tracks?

cname fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Aug 11, 2014

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME

NtotheTC posted:

"If Kevin Ward didn't want to die he shouldn't have stood by the side of the track in such a slutty revealing outfit. He was asking for it."

- Most NASCAR fans.

A slutty, revealing outfit would have been better than an all black helmet and firesuit :science:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

canti32 posted:

A slutty, revealing outfit would have been better than an all black helmet and firesuit :science:

Smoke would have seen him then for sure

especially if he was holding a turkey leg

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

cname posted:

You wanna live in the same society as people who literally play in the traffic?

people like tony stewart, for example?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

a false posted:

people like tony stewart, for example?

Yea, I'd be a-ok had he gotten killed any of those times he ran around on a loving race track. Anyone over the age of 10 who runs around on a race track really doesn't sound like someone who I wanna ever have to associate with, in any way.

Solkanar512 posted:

You have serious issues if you believe someone "deserves to die" for being stupid. Seek help.

Yea, I think there is a point where you can be so goddamn stupid, you deserve to die. This isn't "I left the oven on, by accident" levels of stupid. Mind you, I'm not talking ignorance. I think that everyone who has ever seen a car go is smart enough not to gently caress off in the direct trajectory of multiple moving ones.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cname posted:

Anyone over the age of 10 who runs around on a race track really doesn't sound like someone who I wanna ever have to associate with, in any way.

So then, pretty much every American race car driver? Cool.

Can we please ban every stupid motherfucker who knows absolutely nothing about motorsports of any kind from posting in this thread, jesus christ.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Cubey posted:

Can we please ban every stupid motherfucker who knows absolutely nothing about motorsports of any kind from posting in this thread, jesus christ.

Really? Yea, gently caress everyone who is dumb enough to run around in speeding traffic. Why would anyone ever do that? "Because they were angry and not thinking rationally" is no excuse.

STAY IN YOUR CAR! How hard is it to just stay put? Simple cause and effect. You run around in traffic, you will probably get hit. You stand on the train tracks, you'll probably get hit.

Edit: Actually, I believe you deserve the risk of death, but not certain death. He died. The odds were against him.

cname fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 11, 2014

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cubey posted:

Race car drivers are almost all dumber than poo poo

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Pedestrians have the right of way. Checkmate, Tony Stewart apologists.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

cname posted:

Really? Yea, gently caress everyone who is dumb enough to run around in speeding traffic. Why would anyone ever do that? "Because they were angry and not thinking rationally" is no excuse.

STAY IN YOUR CAR! How hard is it to just stay put? Simple cause and effect. You run around in traffic, you will probably get hit. You stand on the train tracks, you'll probably get hit.

here's another way to put yourself in an incredible amount of danger [and, i suppose, by extension, deserve to die]: drive extremely fast around a track with other cars that are doing the same thing

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

a false posted:

here's another way to put yourself in an incredible amount of danger [and, i suppose, by extension, deserve to die]: drive extremely fast around a track with other cars that are doing the same thing

You say this as though the odds are the same in both situations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

cname posted:

You say this as though the odds are exactly the same in both situations.

I think that one of the two scenarios is also an accepted and integral part of motor racing. I don't know which one though

• Locked thread